Jump to topic:

Republican 21st century accomplishments

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 12:10:10 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Stolen from this tweet: https://twitter.com...

2000: Lose popular vote
2004: Win by the slimmest margin ever for an incumbent.
2008: Lose
2012: Lose
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 12:14:42 AM
At 2/28/2016 12:10:10 AM, thett3 wrote:

I think they should choose someone less likeable and more insane in terms of policy than the three candidates of those election and call them the establishment-backed candidate. Rubio will do.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 12:21:30 AM
At 2/28/2016 12:14:42 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I think they should choose someone less likeable and more insane in terms of policy than the three candidates of those election and call them the establishment-backed candidate. Rubio will do.

Well the good thing about Rubio is that they can't attack his record since he doesn't have one
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 12:47:34 AM
At 2/28/2016 12:21:30 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/28/2016 12:14:42 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Well the good thing about Rubio is that they can't attack his record since he doesn't have one

Indeed
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 12:48:22 AM

Don't forget all their state-level victories.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 1:04:14 AM
At 2/28/2016 12:48:22 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

True. In some states, they managed to hold progressivism back for as much as 3 or 4 years!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 1:11:38 AM
At 2/28/2016 1:04:14 AM, thett3 wrote:

True. In some states, they managed to hold progressivism back for as much as 3 or 4 years!

Hang on, I think I have a TN05 switch somewhere. Oh, here it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 1:27:13 AM
- Made voting harder for minorities across the country in the name of solving a problem they cannot demonstrate exists

- Managed to take away a constitutional right for millions of american women through trap laws and other loopholes in the legislative process since they could not have done this through valid argument

- Managed to hold overwhelming power in Congress despite having less support than Democrats by abusing the redistricting process at a level that defies comprehension

- Managed to stop millions of Americans from receiving healthcare by denying money back from the federal government that they already paid into, then use the lack of coverage as an argument against the healthcare law

- Managed to get many people to believe that Obama is the divisive one while they opposed every idea Obama supported, even theirs

- Managed to shut down the federal government over a law that never had a chance of being repealed

- Managed to downgrade the US credit rating over a procedure that their own God Ronald Reagan never even considered up for debate
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:04:10 AM
At 2/28/2016 1:11:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The problem with the kind of "conservatism" the Republican party advocates for is that it doesn't really stand for anything. If the Republican party stands for anything besides fellating plutocrats and giving lip service to its red tribe base it stands for preserving the liberalism of 20 years ago. There's a reason that they continually lose and have very little to show for dominating almost every level of government for years.

What conservatism should be about is articulating and conserving a set of principles and traditions to carry us forward into the future. A healthy conservatism is both backward and forward looking--using the wisdom and traditions of the past to move forward into the future. The Republican parties version of conservatism doesn't offer any real competing vision. All it does is, to quote Buckley, is: "stand athwart history and yell stop". That isn't exactly a way to win converts nor any way to run a society.

Not to mention that whatever intellectual tradition there is that's left has largely been taken over by trotskyist neocons who stand for nothing but continual war.

tl;dr the GOP sux
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:24:45 AM
At 2/28/2016 5:04:10 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/28/2016 1:11:38 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The problem with the kind of "conservatism" the Republican party advocates for is that it doesn't really stand for anything. If the Republican party stands for anything besides fellating plutocrats and giving lip service to its red tribe base it stands for preserving the liberalism of 20 years ago. There's a reason that they continually lose and have very little to show for dominating almost every level of government for years.

I disagree that they are "fellating Plutocrats". Many of them oppose corporate welfare and subsidies (which mostly benefit the rich) and believe that the bailouts in response to the 2008 Financial Crisis were bad. They believe simply in letting the free markets run their course and not taxing the rich at higher percentages just because they're rich.
In truth, we already live in a nation where the poor receive way more from the system than they give and the rich give more than they take. Despite this we the middle class and poor Americans feel like we are entitled to even more freebies. The Republican Party, then, has "nothing more" to offer the average American because the average American is already receiving too much at the expense of somebody else and the GOP isn't willing to further the current level of theft. Thus, we believe this to be "the interests of the rich" manifested in the Republican Party because they refuse to steal more. The Republicans are, at least on this issue, the moderates in the face of a nation of radical entitled brats.

What conservatism should be about is articulating and conserving a set of principles and traditions to carry us forward into the future. A healthy conservatism is both backward and forward looking--using the wisdom and traditions of the past to move forward into the future. The Republican parties version of conservatism doesn't offer any real competing vision. All it does is, to quote Buckley, is: "stand athwart history and yell stop". That isn't exactly a way to win converts nor any way to run a society.

Not to mention that whatever intellectual tradition there is that's left has largely been taken over by trotskyist neocons who stand for nothing but continual war.

tl;dr the GOP sux

Neonconservatism does little to nothing to help America (except when it comes to preventing terrorism on our own soil through a proactive approach and taking down regimes which threaten us). Rather, it's the idea that we can use our military dominance to make the rest of the world a better place. This is something good and positive that Conservatism stands for. It's helping others not through free stuff but providing stability, rule of law, and democracy.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:28:27 AM
While some degree of @$$holery within the party can explain while people are rejecting the GOP, that people are rejecting its values demonstrates a larger problem with the American people, not the GOP.
That being said, I understand that standing steadfast upon our values (that is, "doubling down") will do nothing to boost the GOP's popularity.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:41:15 AM
Social Security has f***ed up our budget more than anything else. An annual 900 billion dollar deficit would be a 100 billion dollar surplus of we didn't have social security. We would actually be able to reduce our debt a little bit each year instead of it growing like it is now and we wouldn't even have to raise taxes.
Where the GOP has gone wrong is in lowering taxes while being unable (and unwilling) to eliminate Social Security because the program is way too popular among old people who feel like they have an unalienable right to live past 65/70 and young people who realize they're going to be old one day. If you don't get rid of Social Security then it doesn't matter what else you cut.

The DDO Blog:

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:43:55 AM
At 2/28/2016 1:27:13 AM, Double_R wrote:
- Made voting harder for minorities across the country in the name of solving a problem they cannot demonstrate exists

- Managed to take away a constitutional right for millions of american women through trap laws and other loopholes in the legislative process since they could not have done this through valid argument

Wut...

- Managed to hold overwhelming power in Congress despite having less support than Democrats by abusing the redistricting process at a level that defies comprehension

The abused gerrymandering process is bipartisan and we all know it.

- Managed to stop millions of Americans from receiving healthcare by denying money back from the federal government that they already paid into, then use the lack of coverage as an argument against the healthcare law

First, when did they stop the ACA from being funded for more than a 16 days. Second, you can't say this when people have a negative tax liability.

- Managed to get many people to believe that Obama is the divisive one while they opposed every idea Obama supported, even theirs

Fair enough. President Obama has been lousy at reaching out though on many issues.

- Managed to shut down the federal government over a law that never had a chance of being repealed

Yeah.

- Managed to downgrade the US credit rating over a procedure that their own God Ronald Reagan never even considered up for debate

The Republicans ran up huge budget deficits under GWB so I can't defend them, but President Obama has nearly doubled the national debt since he was inaugurated.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 3:59:20 PM
At 2/28/2016 6:43:55 AM, Contra wrote:

Wut...

Abortion laws

I'll give you that...

First, when did they stop the ACA from being funded for more than a 16 days. Second, you can't say this when people have a negative tax liability.

Medicaid expansion

Fair enough. President Obama has been lousy at reaching out though on many issues.

Yeah.

And damn proud of it

The Republicans ran up huge budget deficits under GWB so I can't defend them, but President Obama has nearly doubled the national debt since he was inaugurated.

Why do conservatives always blatantly disregard context when talking about this?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 4:00:23 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:41:15 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Social Security has f***ed up our budget more than anything else. An annual 900 billion dollar deficit would be a 100 billion dollar surplus of we didn't have social security. We would actually be able to reduce our debt a little bit each year instead of it growing like it is now and we wouldn't even have to raise taxes.
Where the GOP has gone wrong is in lowering taxes while being unable (and unwilling) to eliminate Social Security because the program is way too popular among old people who feel like they have an unalienable right to live past 65/70 and young people who realize they're going to be old one day. If you don't get rid of Social Security then it doesn't matter what else you cut.

Yeah, see this is part of the problem. Social security has been around over 70 years. It is an entrenched, and incredibly popular, aspect of American life. The conservative position is not to get rid of it, that's the libertarian position. The conservative position shouldn't be repealing it which will never happen and is political suicide, but rather reforming it into something sustainable. This is actually one of the few conservative things the GOP sometimes tries to do, although it doesn't put nearly as much effort into it as it should because it's political suicide.

Only a transformative leader and a skilled negotiatior like Trump will be able to convince the public to stomach the changes necessary to keep it from going under.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

JarmOlle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 4:27:43 PM
Carson can replacement his negrous collega Obama maybe I will. Carson koncurrents to Kasich and Cruz about last place on top 4, last republican candidates in next 1 or 2 months in vote. Trump is clear he will win at least one time in next 2 months. Four pcs in victorious for anti Islam candidate.

Trump are patriot and racist.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 5:05:07 PM
At 2/28/2016 4:27:43 PM, JarmOlle wrote:
Carson can replacement his negrous collega Obama maybe I will. Carson koncurrents to Kasich and Cruz about last place on top 4, last republican candidates in next 1 or 2 months in vote. Trump is clear he will win at least one time in next 2 months. Four pcs in victorious for anti Islam candidate.

Can you make yourself easier to understand? Maybe this will help:
http://www.talkenglish.com...
I don't have a signature. :-)
JarmOlle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:21:54 PM
At 2/28/2016 5:05:07 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Speaking little English you know.

Yes, Trump is racist and patriot too from America.

I hope not Trump I hope more on 4+1 with Clinton on reserve plan.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 6:28:16 PM
At 2/28/2016 6:21:54 PM, JarmOlle wrote:
At 2/28/2016 5:05:07 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Speaking little English you know.
That's why you should try to improve your English. I couldn't understand the second sentence in your previous post. Just review anything you type and use the link I provided to check for mistakes. You'll get the hang of it eventually.
Yes, Trump is racist and patriot too from America.

I hope not Trump I hope more on 4+1 with Clinton on reserve plan.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 7:51:08 PM
At 2/28/2016 4:00:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 2/28/2016 5:41:15 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Yeah, see this is part of the problem. Social security has been around over 70 years. It is an entrenched, and incredibly popular, aspect of American life. The conservative position is not to get rid of it, that's the libertarian position. The conservative position shouldn't be repealing it which will never happen and is political suicide, but rather reforming it into something sustainable. This is actually one of the few conservative things the GOP sometimes tries to do, although it doesn't put nearly as much effort into it as it should because it's political suicide.

Only a transformative leader and a skilled negotiatior like Trump will be able to convince the public to stomach the changes necessary to keep it from going under.

The underlying assumption behind Social Security is that people have a right to life beyond a certain age. After they reach the point where they are too old to be able to support themselves they no longer have a right to life.
Basically, why isn't a 70 year lifespan enough? Why are you wasting society's resources whenever you've already lived well long enough? With this money we could've provided for every poor person in America, rebuilt our entire nation's infrastructure several times over, built a military that could defeat 3 Chinas, or funded every school in the nation with the best teachers, buildings, textbooks, uniforms, and school lunches.

The DDO Blog:

JarmOlle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2016 7:55:02 PM
Or Trump are nationalist do is he a fascist like old Italy spicie in WW2 before jews get back to normal life in Israel in Middle east before it were crime on jewish people in Italy and Poland a slakter in cameration by fascists and nazis. Both come long with crime on dead jewish in WW2. 4-6 million jewish get killed in WW2 and America take on Nazi Germany and Italy then Japan with two atomic bomb then they capilulate in Tokey even Japan were stronger there they lose WW2 in half Asia. Japan and Italy were two old fasicsts and maybe Trump too if he are nationalist and american patriot in same time.

Donald Trump aren't nazi well. Niggas can accept fascists but no the nazi. KKK have 5000 or 8000 members in America are swedish news in television just for 30 min back. KKK are old American Nazi groups.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 3:46:41 AM
At 2/28/2016 3:59:20 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 2/28/2016 6:43:55 AM, Contra wrote:

Wut...

Abortion laws

I disagree with the notion that abortion is a "constitutional right". I suppose it is considered a constitutional right at the moment, and this is unlikely to change... it is the killing of an unborn fetus and the fact that state governments have tried to restrict this seems relatively reasonable.

You have the legal backing on this argument (at the moment), I'll concede that.

I'll give you that...

Medicaid expansion

Okay.

Why do conservatives always blatantly disregard context when talking about this?

We could have helped the economy without doubling the national debt... and has all this spending been worth the money? Where are the infrastructure improvements? Welfare programs are ridden with problems. The safety net is a complicated mess that creates perverse incentives -- earning a higher income eventually leads to a cutoff point where higher earnings (more hours, usually) reduces one's net income. And we have poured huge sums of money in broken systems; such as K12 schools and a foreign policy that emphasizes brute military force over shrewd diplomacy and foreign assistance.

Both the Republicans and the Democrats have been fiscally irresponsible and it's very infuriating. And the key driver of this spending hasn't been "tax cuts for the rich", "unpaid foreign wars", or even Obamacare (they have all played a contributing factor, but are not the key factor). It has been entitlement spending run amok, something most Democrats have failed to acknowledge.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 4:45:02 AM

Trump 21st century achievements:
*Donated hundreds of thousands to promote the liberal Democrat agenda.
*Ran for president (2000) on a platform to the left of Bernie Sanders.
*Bankrupted two casinos (how do you bankrupt a casino)?
*Created a fake university to con people out of money.
*Failed businesses: Trump Mortgage, Trump Steaks, Trump Vodka, Trump Ice, GoTrump.com, Trump Magazine.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2016 5:41:57 AM

Hardly. Voting ID's aren't Caucasian only. All minorities have the same chances of getting them as they do of getting a driver's license.

This is only YOUR opinion. Their (mine) is that they saved hundreds of thousands of lives by restriction the right to murder those people. In case of a conflict of rights (or rights they believe exist, such as the right to life for an unborn), restricting the invasive right is not "taking away a constitutional right..." Unless you'd like to debate me on this, I'll gladly do so.

See, republican actually do believe the unborn is alive, and therefore the only thing you can criticize them for is if they didn't stop abortion. Nothing more childish than criticizing someone for doing what they truly believe is right.

Gerrymandering? Hardly. Democrats do this as well. Also, don't confuse media/celebrity support with national support. Republicans have a lot of it.

Not paying =/= denying healthcare. Government interference did more to cause the overpricing that left these people without healthcare.

He is divisive... Both groups are. Obama spent more of his career demonizing his opponents than any other candidate until Trump.

The shutdown was equally, if not more so, Democrats fault. Republicans sent 50+ budgets in, most of which only defunded the ACA for a year or so, and two of which didn't even touch Obamacare. They sent each one with a difference proposal to appease both sides (AKA compromise) while the Democrats turned each one down, no matter what. The two that didn't effect the ACA? Turned down. The democrats and republicans even came together to make a budget, and then those same democrats rejected it. Republicans were taking the blame, and Democrats knew it, so they rejected each bill until the shut down started.

Obama created the $900 billion stimulus (unlike Bush's $100+ billion stimulus). Blaming republicans for the whole debt is ridiculous... Consider that the debt increased far more under Obama than Bush...

Refer this: https://upload.wikimedia.org...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2016 2:03:30 AM
At 2/29/2016 5:41:57 AM, donald.keller wrote:

Hardly. Voting ID's aren't Caucasian only. All minorities have the same chances of getting them as they do of getting a driver's license.

The negative impact on all voter ID laws is greater for minorities then it is for Caucasians. This is a fact. Republicans know this, which is why they do it. Please educate yourself.

This is only YOUR opinion. Their (mine) is that they saved hundreds of thousands of lives by restriction the right to murder those people. In case of a conflict of rights (or rights they believe exist, such as the right to life for an unborn), restricting the invasive right is not "taking away a constitutional right..." Unless you'd like to debate me on this, I'll gladly do so.

That's not my opinion, that was decided by the supreme court, you know, the group that the constitution granted the responsibility of determining what is constitutional...

Gerrymandering? Hardly. Democrats do this as well. Also, don't confuse media/celebrity support with national support. Republicans have a lot of it.

Republican congressional candidates received 1.4 million less votes then democrats and yet have a 33 seat advantage.

Not paying =/= denying healthcare. Government interference did more to cause the overpricing that left these people without healthcare.

I'm talking about the medicaid expansion, which all states paid into and yet only democratic runs states got money back for to insure their citizens. If you live in a republican controlled state then you don't get that coverage, despite having already paid for it. And why is that? Because republican governors would rather see Obama's healthcare law fail then to see their own tax paying constituents covered.

He is divisive... Both groups are. Obama spent more of his career demonizing his opponents than any other candidate until Trump.

Government is naturally divisive, but do not pretend that republicans are trying to be productive here. Do you not remember "our number one priority is to make Barrack Obama a one term president"? How about fixing the economy? No, I guess that's not as important.

The shutdown was equally, if not more so, Democrats fault. Republicans sent 50+ budgets in, most of which only defunded the ACA for a year or so, and two of which didn't even touch Obamacare. They sent each one with a difference proposal to appease both sides (AKA compromise) while the Democrats turned each one down, no matter what. The two that didn't effect the ACA? Turned down. The democrats and republicans even came together to make a budget, and then those same democrats rejected it. Republicans were taking the blame, and Democrats knew it, so they rejected each bill until the shut down started.

You are divorced from reality. You're talking about the same party that walked out of the meeting where they made their plans to allow the shutdown official, self described as "gitty", and renamed it a "government slim-down" to make what they were doing sound better.

Obama created the $900 billion stimulus (unlike Bush's $100+ billion stimulus). Blaming republicans for the whole debt is ridiculous... Consider that the debt increased far more under Obama than Bush...

First of all none of that has to do with anything I just said. Not even Ronald Reagan would have ever played chicken with the debt ceiling, and yet despite worshiping every ideal he ever held, it was they who decided to make raising it contingent on their demands.

And of course debt increased far more under Obama then under Bush, because Bush did not stick around long enough to have to clean up his own mess. It never ceases to amaze me how easily conservatives forget that. There was not a credible economist on earth suggesting that the US debt was not about to explode the day before Obama was sworn in, all of a sudden when it happens conservatives act all surprised and pretend Obama is responsible. That's either stupid or dishonest.