Jump to topic:

Bernie needs to win big states

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:31:30 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Bernie won 4 states on Super Tuesday yesterday. Colorado, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and of course Vermont. The slim margins of victory or overall size of the sate made the number of delegates that Bernie gained over Hillary with these 4 wins to 49 delegates gained total. (11, 18, 4, 16 respectively)

Those gains of 49 were pretty much erased by Hillary winning 42 delegates in Georgia alone

Hillary also gained 19 from Tennessee, 35 delegates from Alabama, 10 from Arkansas, 2 from Massachusetts, 29 from Virginia and a whopping 77 delegates from Texas. This is also BEFORE even counting Superdelegates who have overwhelmingly committed support to Clinton more than Bernie.

So on Super Tuesday, Hillary won more delegates than Bernie did by a total of 165 or so. Hillary also picked up 2 delegates from Iowa, 5 from Nevada, and 25 from South Carolina, whereas Bernie's win in New Hampshire only gave him a boost of 6. (Not counting Superdelegates) If Bernie is going to have even a chance at beating Hillary, he will not only need wins in small states to counter other wins Hillary gets, but he'll need to win big states as well, and by a lot, in order to make up for lost ground. I just dont see that happening
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:49:08 PM
At 3/2/2016 6:31:30 PM, imabench wrote:
Bernie won 4 states on Super Tuesday yesterday. Colorado, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and of course Vermont. The slim margins of victory or overall size of the sate made the number of delegates that Bernie gained over Hillary with these 4 wins to 49 delegates gained total. (11, 18, 4, 16 respectively)

Those gains of 49 were pretty much erased by Hillary winning 42 delegates in Georgia alone

Hillary also gained 19 from Tennessee, 35 delegates from Alabama, 10 from Arkansas, 2 from Massachusetts, 29 from Virginia and a whopping 77 delegates from Texas. This is also BEFORE even counting Superdelegates who have overwhelmingly committed support to Clinton more than Bernie.

So on Super Tuesday, Hillary won more delegates than Bernie did by a total of 165 or so. Hillary also picked up 2 delegates from Iowa, 5 from Nevada, and 25 from South Carolina, whereas Bernie's win in New Hampshire only gave him a boost of 6. (Not counting Superdelegates) If Bernie is going to have even a chance at beating Hillary, he will not only need wins in small states to counter other wins Hillary gets, but he'll need to win big states as well, and by a lot, in order to make up for lost ground. I just dont see that happening

He probably should to talk to an African American or two. I'm baffled why he has largely ignored that group.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:00:28 PM
At 3/2/2016 6:49:08 PM, slo1 wrote:

He probably should to talk to an African American or two. I'm baffled why he has largely ignored that group.

The reverse has happened, actually. He's been ignored by that group. He's been chasing them left and right for the past few weeks.

Mostly, it's exposure. They know Clinton. They don't know him.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:04:19 PM

Just some random thoughts

1) The line when he started was he would not win 1 state outside Vermont
2) This super Tuesday SHOULD have been the death of Sanders. Clinton did NOT exceed expectations.
3) Sanders, improbable to win or not, has no reason to drop out at this stage

I think I need to go back and check where Clinton vs. Obama was at this point. It would be interesting.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:08:26 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:04:19 PM, TBR wrote:

2) This super Tuesday SHOULD have been the death of Sanders. Clinton did NOT exceed expectations.

When you set the expectations for Sanders as low as you possibly can to begin with then it doesnt become that hard to exceed them.... And Clinton certainly exceeded expectations because even though she didnt win every state people thought she would, she certainly wiped the floor with Bernie in a lot of them, winning by double-digit margins almost all over the place.

As long as candidates have money they dont drop out, and Bernie will get enough money from duped millennials to keep his campaign fueled well into May. Or at least mid April
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:15:44 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:08:26 PM, imabench wrote:

When you set the expectations for Sanders as low as you possibly can to begin with then it doesnt become that hard to exceed them.... And Clinton certainly exceeded expectations because even though she didnt win every state people thought she would, she certainly wiped the floor with Bernie in a lot of them, winning by double-digit margins almost all over the place.

I think I can find a conversation just a day ago where you scoffed at the idea he would win 4 states. No. Clinton is not living up to expectations. Its true that being the "come from behind" candidate is much more easy to sell when you loose, but still....

As long as candidates have money they dont drop out, and Bernie will get enough money from duped millennials to keep his campaign fueled well into May. Or at least mid April

The thing that kills me about this is, if we had followed the same line we would have been running away from Obama AND Bill Clinton when they ran.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:23:28 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:15:44 PM, TBR wrote:

I think I can find a conversation just a day ago where you scoffed at the idea he would win 4 states.

I could entertain he'd get 2 or maybe 3, but not 4, which is what I was scoffing at.

No. Clinton is not living up to expectations. Its true that being the "come from behind" candidate is much more easy to sell when you loose, but still....

You realize youre basing that entirely on your opinion right? Last time I checked Hillary is actually winning states, and a majority of them as well, some of them handily. Sounds liek she's right on track.

The thing that kills me about this is, if we had followed the same line we would have been running away from Obama AND Bill Clinton when they ran.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Obama won more states on Super Tuesday than Hillary herself, a number of which were actual big states that a person needs to win the nomination.

Bill meanwhile swept a number of Southern states during Super Tuesday when he ran in 1992, making him 'the solid frontrunner'

Sanders has jack sh** on Obama in 08 and Bill in 92

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:34:42 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:23:28 PM, imabench wrote:

I think I can find a conversation just a day ago where you scoffed at the idea he would win 4 states.

I could entertain he'd get 2 or maybe 3, but not 4, which is what I was scoffing at.

And just a little push, he would have had 5. How is this NOT Sanders exceeding expectations?

No. Clinton is not living up to expectations. Its true that being the "come from behind" candidate is much more easy to sell when you loose, but still....

You realize youre basing that entirely on your opinion right? Last time I checked Hillary is actually winning states, and a majority of them as well, some of them handily. Sounds liek she's right on track.

No doubt. Just a personal observation.

Obama won more states on Super Tuesday than Hillary herself, a number of which were actual big states that a person needs to win the nomination.

Bill meanwhile swept a number of Southern states during Super Tuesday when he ran in 1992, making him 'the solid frontrunner'

Bills run on super Tuesday was a HUGE surprise.

Not disagreeing. Only point out that when you dismiss the supporters, you are dismissing the same sorts of people who went out on the limb for Bill and Obama.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:42:19 PM
At 3/2/2016 7:34:42 PM, TBR wrote:

And just a little push, he would have had 5. How is this NOT Sanders exceeding expectations?

lol, because you dont get credit for stuff he didnt actually accomplish. Thats like saying how Al Gore ALMOST beat Bush and that somehow Al Gore deserves credit for that

Not disagreeing. Only point out that when you dismiss the supporters,

Im not talking about the supporters im talking about the candidates.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:43:54 PM
At 3/2/2016 8:42:19 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/2/2016 7:34:42 PM, TBR wrote:

lol, because you dont get credit for stuff he didnt actually accomplish. Thats like saying how Al Gore ALMOST beat Bush and that somehow Al Gore deserves credit for that

He won 4. That exceed your expectations, and he was close to 5.

Not disagreeing. Only point out that when you dismiss the supporters,

Im not talking about the supporters im talking about the candidates.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:43:55 PM

Two of his speeches were hijacked by BLM and he did nothing to stop them. He's weak in that regards, despite fighting for Civil Rights. Hillary has the black vote.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:44:42 PM

I think I need to go back and check where Clinton vs. Obama was at this point. It would be interesting.

In 2008, Clinton actually won the popular vote by 0.73% and Obama still became the nominee.

Obama had 1,828 1/2 delegates going into the convention. Clinton had 1,726 1/2. A difference of about 2%.

Bernie has all the momentum. His support grows by the day. Clinton is and has been during this entire race, trying to put out the fire but she hasn't been able to. And Super Tuesday is evidence of that. But don't expect the mainstream media to tell people any of that. They're running out of ideas on how to try and bury him.

Just wait and see what happens when he ties her in delegates by the end of the month or end of next month. The media will go ballistic.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:57:30 PM
Also, let's not forget. Bernie out raised Clinton by 10 million in February. The only way she can catch up with him now is to do fundraisers with big money donors which is how she adds more fuel to Bernie's fire.

I'm loving this race :)
liltankjj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 9:20:24 PM

If he simply speaks about reprimands he'll get a huge boost, yet along promising to fight for it. My community is extremely simple minded. They care about what's in it for me more than anything.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:10:58 PM
At 3/2/2016 9:44:59 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
No, Bernie needs to find something else to occupy his day, because he's not winning unless Hillary dies.

XD

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 10:23:24 PM
At 3/2/2016 8:44:42 PM, stealspell wrote:

In 2008, Clinton actually won the popular vote by 0.73% and Obama still became the nominee.

Obama had 1,828 1/2 delegates going into the convention. Clinton had 1,726 1/2. A difference of about 2%.

This is not entirely accurate. The totals do NOT include causes. When you include the estimate for them, Obama lead.

I lived through this argument, and it was a knock-down with Clinton supporters.

Bernie has all the momentum. His support grows by the day. Clinton is and has been during this entire race, trying to put out the fire but she hasn't been able to. And Super Tuesday is evidence of that. But don't expect the mainstream media to tell people any of that. They're running out of ideas on how to try and bury him.

There is no "media" effort. on't buy into this crap.

Just wait and see what happens when he ties her in delegates by the end of the month or end of next month. The media will go ballistic.

This is not going to happen. I am trying to get imabench, and others, to be thoughtful about it. This sort of thing is not helpful. He will need to run this to the end to make up the delegate deficit. He would have to pick-off a bunch of super delegate. It is a big hill in-front of Sanders. I want him so much more than Clinton, but you got to get some perspective. Chances are slim, but still alive.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 11:54:05 PM
Can Clinton win the general though?

The Bernie or Bust movement, of which I am sort of a member, refuse to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. Some sources even say over 50% of Sanders' supporters would refuse to vote for Clinton, and some of them would even vote for Trump against her. A plurality of his supporters (around 35%) say they'd still vote for her if she was the nominee.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 12:38:09 AM
At 3/2/2016 10:23:24 PM, TBR wrote:

This is not entirely accurate. The totals do NOT include causes. When you include the estimate for them, Obama lead.

I have no idea what causes you're talking about.

Don't buy into what crap?

http://decisiondata.org...

Look at those numbers. That doesn't look like bias to you?

There have been hundreds of marches for Bernie happening all over the nation and I don't remember one article from the national media covering any of them. They cover every new quip Trump burps out, but complete ignore the mass efforts by Bernie supporters.

People need to wake up. It's not a conspiracy. The numbers don't lie. They obviously don't want him to win because he's going to tax them more. Because they're the 1%. Everybody knows they're behind Hillary. Morning Joe and Rachel Maddow are probably the only ones that have been generally fair to Bernie.

This is not going to happen. I am trying to get imabench, and others, to be thoughtful about it. This sort of thing is not helpful. He will need to run this to the end to make up the delegate deficit. He would have to pick-off a bunch of super delegate. It is a big hill in-front of Sanders. I want him so much more than Clinton, but you got to get some perspective. Chances are slim, but still alive.

Forget the superdelegates right now. They're not dumb. They know what it means for the party if Sanders wins the majority of the delegates and they vote against the party. It's suicide. They know that.

Yes, he has to win by large margins. No doubt about it. He outperformed both in Minnesota and Colorado, besting Hillary by 23.2 and 18.7 respectively. He lost one delegate from Massachusetts where Clinton had a double digit lead in one poll last week. Look at how he outperformed in Oklahoma. Clinton had a double digit lead in the beginning of February. And she kept a lead all through February.

Does he have work to do? Absolutely. I'm not denying that. But to suggest that his chances are slim is an over-exaggeration perpetuated by the media. His chances are slim only if you buy into the defeatist attitude and this whole expectations game the media likes to play. Don't forget, there are still people out there who don't know who he is. I happen to personally know some of them. There are people who only know one or two things about Bernie, he's a socialist and he's going to raise your taxes to 90%, both inaccurate statements. Now, tell me, why is it that these people are telling me this if the media is just doing their jobs reporting the facts and isn't in any way biased and there is, as you say, no "media" effort?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:24:59 AM
At 3/3/2016 12:38:09 AM, stealspell wrote:
At 3/2/2016 10:23:24 PM, TBR wrote:

I have no idea what causes you're talking about.

You were talking about the popular vote in 2008. Obama won the popular vote in 2008, however, since caucus results are not included in total vote tally's, it was a narrative that Clinton won the popular vote. She did not.

Don't buy into what crap?

The "media" crap. "They're running out of ideas on how to try and bury him.". Are you trying to be obtuse?

http://decisiondata.org...

Look at those numbers. That doesn't look like bias to you?

The Sanders v Clinton line is not that much different, and it is not unusual to cover the front-runner more. Would I like more coverage? Sure, but I am not jumping up and down about a non-issue.

There have been hundreds of marches for Bernie happening all over the nation and I don't remember one article from the national media covering any of them. They cover every new quip Trump burps out, but complete ignore the mass efforts by Bernie supporters.

Trump is getting lots of airtime, no doubt about it. He is... well, he is working it. To say they don't cover Sanders is not accurate.

People need to wake up. It's not a conspiracy. The numbers don't lie. They obviously don't want him to win because he's going to tax them more. Because they're the 1%. Everybody knows they're behind Hillary. Morning Joe and Rachel Maddow are probably the only ones that have been generally fair to Bernie.

That is complete nonsense.

Forget the superdelegates right now. They're not dumb. They know what it means for the party if Sanders wins the majority of the delegates and they vote against the party. It's suicide. They know that.

Just being blissfully ignorant of the task ahead is not useful. Can you understand that?

Yes, he has to win by large margins. No doubt about it. He outperformed both in Minnesota and Colorado, besting Hillary by 23.2 and 18.7 respectively. He lost one delegate from Massachusetts where Clinton had a double digit lead in one poll last week. Look at how he outperformed in Oklahoma. Clinton had a double digit lead in the beginning of February. And she kept a lead all through February.

Don't disagree. look at my conversation above. Sanders exceeded expectations.

Does he have work to do? Absolutely. I'm not denying that. But to suggest that his chances are slim is an over-exaggeration perpetuated by the media. His chances are slim only if you buy into the defeatist attitude and this whole expectations game the media likes to play. Don't forget, there are still people out there who don't know who he is. I happen to personally know some of them. There are people who only know one or two things about Bernie, he's a socialist and he's going to raise your taxes to 90%, both inaccurate statements. Now, tell me, why is it that these people are telling me this if the media is just doing their jobs reporting the facts and isn't in any way biased and there is, as you say, no "media" effort?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:26:27 AM
At 3/2/2016 11:54:05 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

The Bernie or Bust movement, of which I am sort of a member, refuse to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. Some sources even say over 50% of Sanders' supporters would refuse to vote for Clinton, and some of them would even vote for Trump against her. A plurality of his supporters (around 35%) say they'd still vote for her if she was the nominee.

If she wins the nomination, I will push VERY hard for her to be primaryed in 4 years.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:30:44 AM

Against Trump yes, against Cruz probably, against Rubio or Kasich no

The Bernie or Bust movement, of which I am sort of a member, refuse to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. Some sources even say over 50% of Sanders' supporters would refuse to vote for Clinton,

50% of Sanders supporters probably wont even turn out in the primaries to vote for him in the first place, like what happened with Ron Paul in 08

and some of them would even vote for Trump against her.

Those people need to be shot

A plurality of his supporters (around 35%) say they'd still vote for her if she was the nominee.

If Bernie plays as part of the team and campaigns on her behalf, which he probably will since he doesnt seem like the Christ Christie type of person who would sink his own party over personal vendetta's, then that number will climb

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:33:34 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:24:59 AM, TBR wrote:

Are you trying to be obtuse?

Just being blissfully ignorant of the task ahead is not useful. Can you understand that?

This is Stealspell youre talking about. He is the poster-child for obtuse, nonsensical, blissful ignorance.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:35:35 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:30:44 AM, imabench wrote:

The Bernie or Bust movement, of which I am sort of a member, refuse to support Clinton if she gets the nomination. Some sources even say over 50% of Sanders' supporters would refuse to vote for Clinton,

50% of Sanders supporters probably wont even turn out in the primaries to vote for him in the first place, like what happened with Ron Paul in 08

They won't turn out for her either then.

A plurality of his supporters (around 35%) say they'd still vote for her if she was the nominee.

If Bernie plays as part of the team and campaigns on her behalf, which he probably will since he doesnt seem like the Christ Christie type of person who would sink his own party over personal vendetta's, then that number will climb

I'm 99% sure Elizabeth Warren's plan is to endorse Clinton further on down the road and try and bring Sanders' base back around to the Democratic establishment. The Clintons, after all, are known not to take kindly to people like Gabbard, who break ranks.

I have to say, if Warren does this, I'll have lost all respect for her.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:54:06 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:35:35 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

According to the states she's been winning they are. When you build your base almost entirely off of the youth vote, then its live or die

I'm 99% sure Elizabeth Warren's plan is to endorse Clinton further on down the road and try and bring Sanders' base back around to the Democratic establishment. The Clintons, after all, are known not to take kindly to people like Gabbard, who break ranks.

Clinton would be smart to pick her as a VP but if Warren campaigns on her after Sanders drops out then thats nothing to hold against her. At that point its Dem vs Gop and Warren is squarely on the Dem side

Reformist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 1:59:58 AM

Good. I dont want a socialist having a chance to be president

I would rather have trump than sanders in the white house.

Onto your post though bernie sanders has no chance. Hillary clinton just has more experience and is more well liked
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:05:51 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:33:34 AM, imabench wrote:

This is Stealspell youre talking about. He is the poster-child for obtuse, nonsensical, blissful ignorance.

When you pick (support) the underdog you can't go around complaining at the world that he is the underdog. You simply have to accept that it is a order of magnitude harder to get your guy across the finish line. Bitching about it never gets you very far.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 2:08:05 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:54:06 AM, imabench wrote:
At 3/3/2016 1:35:35 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

According to the states she's been winning they are. When you build your base almost entirely off of the youth vote, then its live or die

Clinton would be smart to pick her as a VP but if Warren campaigns on her after Sanders drops out then thats nothing to hold against her. At that point its Dem vs Gop and Warren is squarely on the Dem side

Clinton will pick that Castro f**k, and complete the completely uninspiring ticket we are heading towards.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:02:07 AM
The Sanders v Clinton line is not that much different, and it is not unusual to cover the front-runner more.

What are you looking at? There's a huge gap for Sanders whereas it lines up well for Clinton and Trump.

Sanders is 2nd to Trump as the most searched candidate yet look at his media coverage numbers.

Would I like more coverage? Sure, but I am not jumping up and down about a non-issue.
Trump is getting lots of airtime, no doubt about it. He is... well, he is working it. To say they don't cover Sanders is not accurate.

When did I say they're not covering Sanders? And Bernie's not "working" it? I remember throughout 2015 he consistently drew enormous crowds, larger than even Trump. Yet Trump gets more coverage? Strange. The corporate media is all about sensationalism.

It's not complete nonsense. They have a stake in the election. That's pretty obvious. They've, of course, tried to hide their bias to some degree. I'm not suggesting its so overt that you'd have to be blind to not see it. Although sometimes it is. The CNN interview with Susan Sarandon comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com...

Huh? Did you seriously just ignore everything I said to attack me with being "blissfully ignorant"? Tell me, do you seriously think the superdelegates are going to vote against a Sanders majority in the pledged delegates? Do you understand the implications that would have in a general election? Trump would win in a landslide.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2016 3:17:38 AM
At 3/3/2016 1:33:34 AM, imabench wrote:

You're still mad?