Total Posts:152|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why I rail on Social Justice Warriors

YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:38:24 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me.

What I see before me are many very young, but naive and easily manipulated and highly privileged students who were born and raised in suburbs and who have no understanding of the world beyond their acutely limited horizons being indoctrinated into a belief system that teaches them to view the world through prisms of oppression, victimization, domination, and submission. I see impressionable young minds who read Derrida and Lacan and see these anti-rationalists and their intellectual progeny prime today's undergraduates and humanities/social science graduates to do and to justify legitimate acts of violence in response to imagined victimization.

Andrea Dworkin changed the game, in the 1990s. She is the mother of the "rape culture" mythology that surrounds the modern progressive left; the woman who, quite literally, said that all women give birth to future rapists and rape victims. The race feminists who have appropriated Dworkin's ideas about gender-based power struggles to race-gender-based power struggles went the next step further. These are people who believe that all white men are, on a psychological level, indistinguishable from the slave drivers of Antebellum America. Who complain not only of the illustrious "patriarchy," but who in their desperate pursuit of racial injustice have gone so far as to call three white people sitting in a room without a black person as a "micro-aggression" and therefore an act of racial violence.

That is why "micro-aggressions" had to gain support for their existence in psychology and social science; without the pretext of intellectual legitimacy--on the assumption that Americans are stupid enough to believe something that someone says simply because someone with letters after their name said it--the very notion of a "micro-aggression" is laughably idiotic on its face. They are, as I have said before, intellectual trash.

But they are not "useless" intellectual trash. The concept of "micro-aggressions" and all of the other invented acts of "racial violence" serves the very useful purpose of manipulating naive, and impressionable college students who lack sufficient experience in the world to be able to distinguish fact from bullsh!t. They defer to those in authority, legitimate or otherwise. The do not realize that their minds are being closed, ever so gradually, as they are induced to believe that such measures as governmentally enforced censorship are very much the progressive left's end-game.

Many college students have read or are at least generally familiar with the concepts articulated in Orwell's mangum opus, Nineteen Eighty-four. In that book, the protagonist is tasked with policing the thoughts of those in his society; he washes history books, removes words from the language, and invents whatever truth the government desires him to for the purpose of controlling thought. But subject to that insidious totalitarianism do not realize it; they simply do not realize that they have all and only the freedom that their government permits.

We have seen with the explosion of technology, and in particular the internet, a global flattening of the informational horizon. Anyone can access anything at any time, and that is highly dangerous to those who would desire to exert control on mine, the generation that has more access to information than any other in human history. That is why such concepts as micro-aggressions must exist, to stoke the intra-class tensions within the working class; to force them to fight with one another, rather than question or--worse--defy the structures of power that define the range of what their thought will ever be.

There have been so many movements to damn down college; make courses less rigorous, lower admissions standards and enslave all with tremendous debts. There is more movement now than there ever has been in the past to "institutionalize" the type-A women, blacks, and gays who have historically been the sources of the greatest social instability in the first world.

Those members of the most historically politically disenfranchised groups are the most highly recruited to, for example, America's most elite universities. They become professors of things like race or gender studies. They teach girls to hate men because they are men. They teach boys to walk around in fear of being accused of sexual assault, a crime that has become so harsh in our society that not even innocence is a viable defense. They teach blacks to view whites as the source of their plights. They teach Muslims to see everyone and everything as always already out to get them. These programs serve one purpose: maintain the status quo.

The status quo is one in which class struggles are never discussed, even though the interests of whites, blacks, christians, muslims, atheists, protestants, jews, pagans, queers, the transgendered, and etc. align exactly against the ruling class of wealthy and politically powerful in the United States, and the world. If all the divisive groups ever took a moment to think about their commonalities, their hopes, their dreams and their ambitions, they would realize that their real struggle is not against one another, but the groups whose political influence has driven real wages in this country down since Reagan took office. Those groups universally agree with the preservation of the status quo; the preservation of the illusion of choice in American elections; the preservation of Wall Street's grip on Washington and the Defense sector's grip on public investment.

Social justice warriors are not themselves intentionally disgusting people; they do disgusting things because they have been taught by people who are parts of much larger systems than they realize to believe and internalize certain values that are fundamentally in conflict with those that have defined liberalism until the 1990s. They do what they do because their believe that theirs is a righteous cause; but they only labor under that delusion because they do not know what righteousness is, because they never knew any God other than the prisms of feigned victimization spawned by postmodern liberal theology.

Theirs is, after all, very much a theological goal. It has nothing to do with social justice. The ideology serves to indoctrinate people to not critically pursue the truth beyond what is contemporaneously defined as what is politically correct. They teach people to feel rather than think; to value their fictional narrative of feigned victimization more than what "is" in objective reality. They teach free dogs to not wander beyond the yard.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I know many on DDO do not understand why the siege-victim mentality that students (particularly non-white students) learn when they are admitted (usually because of affirmative action) to America's most elite colleges presents such a threat to our society.

Today, we are talking about micro-aggressions, micro-invalidations, and micro-assaults.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about law suits against employers who hire only on merit because they lack a sufficient carrying capacity of blacks (which, frankly, we are already there now).

Tomorrow, we will be talking about laws banning the use of certain phrases that are determined to be Islamophobic, homophobic, sexist, racist, and bigoted. Phrases like "land of the free, and home of the brave," or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about prison sentences for islamophobic content on Twitter, if it still exists, which based on certain censorship measures it has implemented I think it should not and likely will fail.

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:06:45 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 5:26:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The case can always be made that It's racist to call someone else a racist.

That sounds exactly like something that a racist would say.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:39:59 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 7:06:45 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/8/2016 5:26:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The case can always be made that It's racist to call someone else a racist.

That sounds exactly like something that a racist would say.....

You just proved my point.
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:08:19 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

I assume you are talking about Dr. Matt Taylor's shirt with photos or very high quality graphics of women in lingerie.
https://www.google.com...

How are we supposed to take you serious when most people on this earth would be fired wearing a shirt like that? Are we to believe that since the European Space Agency is a public agency that they should have no dress code or standards of decency? Why nobody said anything to him is beyond me.

Granted, I'm sure he got death threats and all types of crazed responses, but that is by no means a unique post modern liberal trait.

50% of this backlash against political correctness is nothing more than an attempt to suppress freedom of speech to the other side. The biggest issue is how both sides attack speech they disagree with, not the fact that they diagree.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:18:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 8:39:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/8/2016 7:06:45 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/8/2016 5:26:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
The case can always be made that It's racist to call someone else a racist.

That sounds exactly like something that a racist would say.....

You just proved my point.

yeah, that was the joke..... -__-
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:29:31 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 11:08:19 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

I assume you are talking about Dr. Matt Taylor's shirt with photos or very high quality graphics of women in lingerie.
https://www.google.com...

How are we supposed to take you serious when most people on this earth would be fired wearing a shirt like that? Are we to believe that since the European Space Agency is a public agency that they should have no dress code or standards of decency? Why nobody said anything to him is beyond me.

Granted, I'm sure he got death threats and all types of crazed responses, but that is by no means a unique post modern liberal trait.

50% of this backlash against political correctness is nothing more than an attempt to suppress freedom of speech to the other side. The biggest issue is how both sides attack speech they disagree with, not the fact that they diagree.

I'm positive that people not from this earth would find our modesty way more hilarious than that astro guy's shirt...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:34:33 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:
I know many on DDO do not understand why the siege-victim mentality that students (particularly non-white students) learn when they are admitted (usually because of affirmative action) to America's most elite colleges presents such a threat to our society.

Today, we are talking about micro-aggressions, micro-invalidations, and micro-assaults.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about law suits against employers who hire only on merit because they lack a sufficient carrying capacity of blacks (which, frankly, we are already there now).

Tomorrow, we will be talking about laws banning the use of certain phrases that are determined to be Islamophobic, homophobic, sexist, racist, and bigoted. Phrases like "land of the free, and home of the brave," or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about prison sentences for islamophobic content on Twitter, if it still exists, which based on certain censorship measures it has implemented I think it should not and likely will fail.

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

Yep.... Have you seen the video '#Equality?" It pokes fun at this type of liberal, SJW thinking, and the ultimate effect it will have if it were to succeed.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:11:07 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 11:08:19 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

I assume you are talking about Dr. Matt Taylor's shirt with photos or very high quality graphics of women in lingerie.
https://www.google.com...

How are we supposed to take you serious when most people on this earth would be fired wearing a shirt like that? Are we to believe that since the European Space Agency is a public agency that they should have no dress code or standards of decency? Why nobody said anything to him is beyond me.

Granted, I'm sure he got death threats and all types of crazed responses, but that is by no means a unique post modern liberal trait.

50% of this backlash against political correctness is nothing more than an attempt to suppress freedom of speech to the other side. The biggest issue is how both sides attack speech they disagree with, not the fact that they diagree.

You get that upset over a shirt?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?
Tsar of DDO
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:15:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Well said, honestly not much to be added to it from my perspective.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:15:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Well said, honestly not much to be added to it from my perspective.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:15:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
wtf double post
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:19:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:15:18 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Well said, honestly not much to be added to it from my perspective.

Thanks dude

What I said is extremely controversial, especially in an age where a generation of people have been indoctrinated to believe fictions of oppression on the fronts of race and gender. So expect a tense conversation to follow.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:20:36 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/8/2016 11:34:33 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:
I know many on DDO do not understand why the siege-victim mentality that students (particularly non-white students) learn when they are admitted (usually because of affirmative action) to America's most elite colleges presents such a threat to our society.

Today, we are talking about micro-aggressions, micro-invalidations, and micro-assaults.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about law suits against employers who hire only on merit because they lack a sufficient carrying capacity of blacks (which, frankly, we are already there now).

Tomorrow, we will be talking about laws banning the use of certain phrases that are determined to be Islamophobic, homophobic, sexist, racist, and bigoted. Phrases like "land of the free, and home of the brave," or the Pledge of Allegiance.

Tomorrow, we will be talking about prison sentences for islamophobic content on Twitter, if it still exists, which based on certain censorship measures it has implemented I think it should not and likely will fail.

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

Yep.... Have you seen the video '#Equality?" It pokes fun at this type of liberal, SJW thinking, and the ultimate effect it will have if it were to succeed.

Send me a link. Ever read Kafka?
Tsar of DDO
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:42:12 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.

What would be an example of the oppression you speak of?
Tsar of DDO
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:46:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:44:18 AM, Emmarie wrote:
censoring jackass - couldn't handle truth

oops I got temperamental when I though my previous 2 posts ha d been censored.

I apologize!
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 12:46:52 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:44:18 AM, Emmarie wrote:
censoring jackass - couldn't handle truth

What are you talking about?
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:01:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:46:52 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:44:18 AM, Emmarie wrote:
censoring jackass - couldn't handle truth


What are you talking about?

See post #21
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
slo1
Posts: 4,314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:01:29 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:11:07 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:08:19 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 3/8/2016 6:52:45 AM, YYW wrote:

We are already at the point where use of the word "nigga" by a white person ends a career in Hollywood; or where an astrophysicist who is white but wears a Hawaiian camp shirt with the outlines of women on it can have his career ruined by malicious postmodern feminists; or where Stephen Colbert can have his career harmed by one overly sensitive race feminist on twitter for an insensitive joke.

I hope that you are all lucid enough to see what comes next.

I assume you are talking about Dr. Matt Taylor's shirt with photos or very high quality graphics of women in lingerie.
https://www.google.com...

How are we supposed to take you serious when most people on this earth would be fired wearing a shirt like that? Are we to believe that since the European Space Agency is a public agency that they should have no dress code or standards of decency? Why nobody said anything to him is beyond me.

Granted, I'm sure he got death threats and all types of crazed responses, but that is by no means a unique post modern liberal trait.

50% of this backlash against political correctness is nothing more than an attempt to suppress freedom of speech to the other side. The biggest issue is how both sides attack speech they disagree with, not the fact that they diagree.

You get that upset over a shirt?

No, but I understand why we all don't walk around work with titties and dick pics on our clothing.
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:04:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:42:12 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.

What would be an example of the oppression you speak of?

The creation of a working class that is told that if they "work hard" they can achieve economic ease. Same people 20 years later are working more hours, for almost the same pay. These are the oppressed white people for the most part, who conservative business owners respect (only with lip-service) because they profit off of these workers willingness to work hard. Many minorities are part of a collective mind state, and when they attempt to work in the oppressive conditions that poor white workers do (white workers conform just because they want to be seen as no lazy and such) these minorities attempt to use their first amendment rights to bring awareness to the unjust ways that people are treated. Because they speak out about injustice, they are viewed as lazy etc.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:23:16 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 12:19:05 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:15:18 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Well said, honestly not much to be added to it from my perspective.

Thanks dude

What I said is extremely controversial, especially in an age where a generation of people have been indoctrinated to believe fictions of oppression on the fronts of race and gender. So expect a tense conversation to follow.

You're hilarious. You complain ALL THE TIME about how people misalign your positions with arguments that frame them as inherently irrational/non-rational, but yet you do it over and over to your "opponents". Look for keywords like: "delusion", "brainwashed", "fiction" blah, blah, blah.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,068
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:30:03 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 1:04:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:42:12 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.

What would be an example of the oppression you speak of?

The creation of a working class that is told that if they "work hard" they can achieve economic ease. Same people 20 years later are working more hours, for almost the same pay. These are the oppressed white people for the most part, who conservative business owners respect (only with lip-service) because they profit off of these workers willingness to work hard. Many minorities are part of a collective mind state, and when they attempt to work in the oppressive conditions that poor white workers do (white workers conform just because they want to be seen as no lazy and such) these minorities attempt to use their first amendment rights to bring awareness to the unjust ways that people are treated. Because they speak out about injustice, they are viewed as lazy etc.

You fail to see how capitalism has made things better from 20 years ago, even if you do "work more hours for the same pay".
One example is televisions. Look at this:

http://www.avclub.com...
They paid obscenely large amounts of money for TVs that by today's standards would be considered really, really s***ty.
Another example is the internet. in the early to mid 90s internet access was charged BY THE HOUR. Even by 1996, whenever unlimited internet plans were developed, this only applied to certain hours of the day and people had to pay for extra hours. If people then used as much internet as they do today it'd cost them several hundred dollars a month. Today it's entirely unlimited for 40 bucks a month. And the internet today is way, way, way, way, way better. My house has horrible internet and it's still light years faster than the internet of the 1990s.
For some more examples:
http://blog.workloadinnovation.com...

So even if the price of living has gone up, what you pay for is generally of higher quality than it used to be. Life is not of lower quality now than it was 20 years ago.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:39:46 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 1:23:16 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:19:05 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:15:18 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
Well said, honestly not much to be added to it from my perspective.

Thanks dude

What I said is extremely controversial, especially in an age where a generation of people have been indoctrinated to believe fictions of oppression on the fronts of race and gender. So expect a tense conversation to follow.

You're hilarious. You complain ALL THE TIME about how people misalign your positions with arguments that frame them as inherently irrational/non-rational, but yet you do it over and over to your "opponents". Look for keywords like: "delusion", "brainwashed", "fiction" blah, blah, blah.

So at what point will you be making a substantive post?
Tsar of DDO
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 1:54:09 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 1:30:03 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/9/2016 1:04:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:42:12 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.

What would be an example of the oppression you speak of?

The creation of a working class that is told that if they "work hard" they can achieve economic ease. Same people 20 years later are working more hours, for almost the same pay. These are the oppressed white people for the most part, who conservative business owners respect (only with lip-service) because they profit off of these workers willingness to work hard. Many minorities are part of a collective mind state, and when they attempt to work in the oppressive conditions that poor white workers do (white workers conform just because they want to be seen as no lazy and such) these minorities attempt to use their first amendment rights to bring awareness to the unjust ways that people are treated. Because they speak out about injustice, they are viewed as lazy etc.

You fail to see how capitalism has made things better from 20 years ago, even if you do "work more hours for the same pay".
One example is televisions. Look at this:

http://www.avclub.com...
They paid obscenely large amounts of money for TVs that by today's standards would be considered really, really s***ty.
Another example is the internet. in the early to mid 90s internet access was charged BY THE HOUR. Even by 1996, whenever unlimited internet plans were developed, this only applied to certain hours of the day and people had to pay for extra hours. If people then used as much internet as they do today it'd cost them several hundred dollars a month. Today it's entirely unlimited for 40 bucks a month. And the internet today is way, way, way, way, way better. My house has horrible internet and it's still light years faster than the internet of the 1990s.
For some more examples:
http://blog.workloadinnovation.com...

So even if the price of living has gone up, what you pay for is generally of higher quality than it used to be. Life is not of lower quality now than it was 20 years ago.

You are only partially correct, the price of items that we don't need has been lowered, due to slave labor from overseas or across the border while the price of food, shelter, transportation fuel, heating fuel, electricity, and property taxes have rose, more than wages. It may be possible now, for several generations of a family to live together in a home, all working at low wage jobs, and still enjoy things that were once luxuries. What is not possible is to support a family when there is only one wage earner at a low wage, without government assistance of some sort.

My solution would NOT be to raise the min. wage, it would harm too many small businesses, but to continue to offer supportive assistance for workers who fall below a certain income. These families who still have dependents cannot afford many of the extras that you mentioned. I know because we couldn't until my sons graduated and continued to live at home. We live in what I call a democratic commune, with how we manage economics, and we all work low wage jobs. We however are lucky enough to have jobs. Many people, especially moms that were cut off welfare in the 90's were forced to live with abusive men, or do things they didn't want to for survival. The children of these moms who endured extremely stressful situations as a family, and deserve to at least be heard, so maybe as a country, we can find a solution.
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 2:08:28 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 3/9/2016 1:04:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:42:12 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:34:14 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 3/9/2016 12:13:31 AM, YYW wrote:
At 3/8/2016 11:51:57 PM, Emmarie wrote:
YYW posted
"I am one of the most privileged people in the world. I'm white, from an upper middle class background, and I have had the benefit of an excellent education that was both broad and deep in the liberal arts and humanities as well as a reasonable grounding in the natural sciences. In the course of receiving that education, I gained certain values; among those most dear to me are the ones most threatened by the rise of postmodern liberalism, and it's many and dangerous iterations. So let me be clear: it's personal with me."

I didn't feel the need to quote the entire post because the opening statement reveals enough information to explain why I disagree with his position, specifically that his values are threatened by cultural awareness. While I agree, that postmodern liberalism's solutions, do not address the heart of the problem, I disagree that stepping outside of one's comfort zone and ATTEMPTING to view things from the position of a person who hasn't had those privileges, , can in any way challenge or threaten one's core values.

The privileged should be instructed in the plight of the under-privileged, because if the privileged were to develop compassion for the conditions that continue to oppress other individuals, than maybe they could contribute ideas that do not involve simply throwing money at the problem and more governmental controls. America will never return to the days when people do not exercise their 1st amendment rights out of fear of lynching. The only people who wish to maintain the economic social structure of America, are those who have profited from it.

I'm thankful that the millennial generation possesses compassion. I do agree with you that liberal indoctrination is not empowering the very people who need to become empowered, to take on the conditions that have led to economic disparity and oppression.

So you see the world through the lens of oppression and domination?

Yes I do! Having lived it personally throughout my adult life and witnessed it my entire life I do see the world through the lens of oppression and domination. If you have never been immersed in more than one culture, you would not be able to comprehend the way the entire system attempts to keep these conditions as standard. I do however also believe that there will be an attempt to replace the oppressive system with one that only seems to be more "fair" and is brainwashing people that the only way to resolve oppressive conditions, is to implement more government control.

If I could propose a solution, it would be to educate about the truth of historical and current oppression, and to hope for people to have a revolution of the mind, and become personally involved in the process of ending oppressive conditions, rather than being legislated to do so.

Yes I'ma dreamer, but I see the ways the media misrepresents certain minority groups, and I also see how the privileged are quick to believe hype, and then approach minorities with a certain level of contempt, and complain when they encounter resistance.

What would be an example of the oppression you speak of?

The creation of a working class that is told that if they "work hard" they can achieve economic ease. Same people 20 years later are working more hours, for almost the same pay. These are the oppressed white people for the most part, who conservative business owners respect (only with lip-service) because they profit off of these workers willingness to work hard. Many minorities are part of a collective mind state, and when they attempt to work in the oppressive conditions that poor white workers do (white workers conform just because they want to be seen as no lazy and such) these minorities attempt to use their first amendment rights to bring awareness to the unjust ways that people are treated. Because they speak out about injustice, they are viewed as lazy etc.

To the extent you're talking about economic injustice across the board, I am and will be on your side.
Tsar of DDO