Republicans: Want to Stop Trump?

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:30:48 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Rubio and Kasich don't have a chance. There's only one option: Ted Cruz. He'll stop Trump and he will truly make America great again, unlike Trump who will open the door for Hillary, who will in turn impose her liberal "values" on all of America.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:33:44 PM
I agree. The best choice for the Republicans is a slimy politician who fakes devout Christianity and lies about other candidates to get more votes. The best thing for them to do is not choose the person a lot of people like - but the one no intellectually honest person can stand to look at.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:44:00 PM
At 3/13/2016 7:33:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I agree. The best choice for the Republicans is a slimy politician who fakes devout Christianity and lies about other candidates to get more votes. The best thing for them to do is not choose the person a lot of people like - but the one no intellectually honest person can stand to look at.

I agree with this assessment: Cruz is probably a lot worse than Trump. But I do think that Cruz has the best chance of defeating Trump out of the existing field, though whether that's desirable is another question. I'm not really a big fan of the whole "divide and conquer" strategy whereby Republicans strategically vote for Rubio in Florida and Kasich in Ohio: if they really want to defeat Trump, Cruz is probably their best bet.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:55:47 PM
At 3/13/2016 7:44:00 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I agree with this assessment: Cruz is probably a lot worse than Trump. But I do think that Cruz has the best chance of defeating Trump out of the existing field, though whether that's desirable is another question. I'm not really a big fan of the whole "divide and conquer" strategy whereby Republicans strategically vote for Rubio in Florida and Kasich in Ohio: if they really want to defeat Trump, Cruz is probably their best bet.

It's the only strategy that can work. There's not enough delegates for Cruz, Rubio, or Kasich to win the nomination without going to a brokered convention. If every delegate after today went to Cruz, it still wouldn't be enough.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 7:57:23 PM
At 3/13/2016 7:55:47 PM, Varrack wrote:

It's the only strategy that can work. There's not enough delegates for Cruz, Rubio, or Kasich to win the nomination without going to a brokered convention. If every delegate after today went to Cruz, it still wouldn't be enough.

Last I checked, Cruz was pretty close to Trump in overall delegates. I don't think there's any chance of a brokered convention. Reince Preibus, the head of the RNC, has even begun the whole "we're going to stand by our nominee because any of them are better than Hillary." I think they're starting to slowly but surely accept Trump -- which, of course, isn't really great for Cruz's odds, but I just can't foresee a brokered convention.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:02:17 PM

I'm not even going to try to dispute this, but it seems like any politician who makes his Christianity open is accused of this. Shouldn't they be given the benefit of the doubt?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:13:20 PM
At 3/13/2016 7:30:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Rubio and Kasich don't have a chance.

If one drops out though the other will likely annex their voter base, which would leapfrog either of them way ahead of Cruz into the number 2 spot

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...

There's only one option: Ted Cruz. He'll stop Trump and he will truly make America great again

Cruz would far and away be regarded as the worst candidate in the whole GOP field had Trump not been in the picture
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:23:25 PM
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Rubio and Kasich don't have a chance. There's only one option: Ted Cruz. He'll stop Trump and he will truly make America great again, unlike Trump who will open the door for Hillary, who will in turn impose her liberal "values" on all of America.

I won't allow someone who wants to repeal gay marriage and rule with traditional Christian values be elected into office.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 8:26:58 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:02:17 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I'm not even going to try to dispute this, but it seems like any politician who makes his Christianity open is accused of this. Shouldn't they be given the benefit of the doubt?

... No, because Jesus scathingly denounced this sort of behavior:

'1 Take heed that ye give not your alms before men to be seen of them, or else ye shall have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou givest thine alms, thou shalt not make a trumpet to be blown before thee, as the hypocrites do in the Synagogues and in the streets, to be praised of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

3 But when thou doest thine alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth,

4 That thine alms may be in secret, and thy Father that seeth in secret, he will reward thee openly.

5 And when thou prayest, be not as the hypocrites: for they love to stand and pray in the Synagogues, and in the corners of the streets, because they would be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

6 But when thou prayest, enter into thy chamber: and when thou hast shut thy door, pray unto thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

7 Also when ye pray, use no vain repetitions as the Heathen: for they think to be heard for their much babbling.

8 Be ye not like them therefore: for your Father knoweth whereof ye have need, before ye ask of him.'
https://www.biblegateway.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:02:19 PM
Cruz is much, much worse than Trump. He is the only candidate, as of now, who would make me vote Clinton rather than writing in Sanders or voting for a 3rd party.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:02:39 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:26:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

'1 Take heed that ye give not your alms before men to be seen of them, or else ye shall have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou givest thine alms, thou shalt not make a trumpet to be blown before thee, as the hypocrites do in the Synagogues and in the streets, to be praised of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

3 But when thou doest thine alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth,

4 That thine alms may be in secret, and thy Father that seeth in secret, he will reward thee openly.

5 And when thou prayest, be not as the hypocrites: for they love to stand and pray in the Synagogues, and in the corners of the streets, because they would be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.

6 But when thou prayest, enter into thy chamber: and when thou hast shut thy door, pray unto thy Father which is in secret, and thy Father which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

7 Also when ye pray, use no vain repetitions as the Heathen: for they think to be heard for their much babbling.

8 Be ye not like them therefore: for your Father knoweth whereof ye have need, before ye ask of him.'

This is the kind of thing to which there are two opposite extremes. Obviously a Christian shouldn't act like a Pharisee. But a Christian should be bold in speaking up for and proclaiming his faith. The issue is determining which Cruz is doing.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:26:59 PM

Dead on.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:38:09 PM

I hope the bolded statement is not referring to Donald Trump. He has the highest unfavorable ratings of any candidate, and he is despised by the rest of the world.... the whole of humanity joins in condemnation of his barbarism. So Trump is not liked in any meaningful sense.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 9:40:58 PM
At 3/13/2016 9:38:09 PM, 000ike wrote:

I hope the bolded statement is not referring to Donald Trump. He has the highest unfavorable ratings of any candidate, and he is despised by the rest of the world.... the whole of humanity joins in condemnation of his barbarism. So Trump is not liked in any meaningful sense.

The only people that have to like him are voters.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:46:16 PM
Ted Cruz actually shares much of the same kind of disapproval among the Republican Party *itself*--it's extremely doubtful that he'd be a better nominee or in fact president, than Trump; who I also think isn't fit for the role.

The overall choices (both for the Republicans and Democrats) leave a lot to be desired.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 1:45:48 AM
At 3/13/2016 9:02:39 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 3/13/2016 8:26:58 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

This is the kind of thing to which there are two opposite extremes. Obviously a Christian shouldn't act like a Pharisee. But a Christian should be bold in speaking up for and proclaiming his faith. The issue is determining which Cruz is doing.

Sic transit gloria mundi. Cruz is pursuing entirely worldly power, and he is doing so by praying loudly in the public square and soliciting political support in the form of votes. One of the most prevalent and repetitive refrains in the New Testament is that God's glory is not of this world, and that those who use his name to acquire worldly glory are forfeiting heavenly glory. It's not about being bold and faithful, it's about ambition in worldly affairs, and the seeking after of worldly glory by trumpeting one's faith. True faith is described in the second quote, and it completely antithetical to the tenor of Ted Cruz's campaign (we need to save 'Murica!!!11!!)

'15 Love not this world, neither the things that are in this world. If any man love this world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in this world, (as the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life) is not of the Father, but is of this world.

17 And this world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that fulfilleth the will of God, abideth ever.'

'25 Therefore I say unto you, be not careful for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink: nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more worth than meat? and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the heaven: for they sow not, neither reap, nor carry into the barns, yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking care is able to add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why care ye for raiment? Learn how the Lilies of the field do grow: they are not wearied, neither spin:

29 Yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore if God so clothe the grass of the field which is today, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not do much more unto you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or what shall we drink? or wherewith shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things seek the Gentiles) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be ministered unto you.

34 Care not then for the morrow, for the morrow shall care for itself: the day hath enough with his own grief. '
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 2:01:14 AM
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Ted Cruz is an asswipe
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:44:44 PM
Would you care to give examples on why Cruz is "a slimy politician who fakes devout Christianity", or are you just going to keep on spewing falsehoods that make you look bad?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:45:33 PM

How is Cruz worse than a fascist crook who wants to date his daughter?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:46:10 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:45:33 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
How is Cruz worse than a fascist crook who wants to date his daughter?

See 1harder's post above.

DDO's Economics Messiah
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:47:47 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:13:20 PM, imabench wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Rubio and Kasich don't have a chance.

If one drops out though the other will likely annex their voter base, which would leapfrog either of them way ahead of Cruz into the number 2 spot

I highly doubt this. I think people realize that the only way to stop Trump is to throw your support behind Cruz.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...

There's only one option: Ted Cruz. He'll stop Trump and he will truly make America great again

Cruz would far and away be regarded as the worst candidate in the whole GOP field had Trump not been in the picture
Yeah, amongst the RINOs and those who don't care about the current state of our nation.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:48:55 PM
At 3/13/2016 8:23:25 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

I won't allow someone who wants to repeal gay marriage and rule with traditional Christian values be elected into office.
Really? How are you going to do that? I think most Americans would disagree with you, considering more than three-fourths are Christians.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:50:28 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:48:55 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Really? How are you going to do that? I think most Americans would disagree with you, considering more than three-fourths are Christians.

Separation of Church and State, so I think "most" Americans would agree that the US government should not be molded to a Christian Theocracy.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:52:32 PM
At 3/14/2016 2:01:14 AM, Hayd wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Ted Cruz is an asswipe
Is that all you're going to say? Why don't you actually contribute to this discussion instead of posting sheer nonsense?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:54:03 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:44:44 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
Would you care to give examples on why Cruz is "a slimy politician who fakes devout Christianity", or are you just going to keep on spewing falsehoods that make you look bad?

See Skep's post.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:55:56 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:50:28 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Separation of Church and State, so I think "most" Americans would agree that the US government should not be molded to a Christian Theocracy.
Actually, the United States was founded upon Christian values, so Cruz would be right to "rule with traditional Christian values". There are varies references to God and Christianity throughout many historical American documents. You can read those references here: www.internationalcopsforchrist.com/proof-that-america-was-founded-as-a-christian-nation/
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 10:59:34 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:52:32 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/14/2016 2:01:14 AM, Hayd wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Ted Cruz is an asswipe
Is that all you're going to say? Why don't you actually contribute to this discussion instead of posting sheer nonsense?

Lmao, do you actually support Cruz or something?
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:01:48 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:54:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

See Skep's post.
Yeah, I saw his post . . . Cruz isn't a Pharisee. In fact, he's never taken a "holier-than-thou" approach to religion or politics. He's a very humble man and never attempts to degrade anyone or promote bigotry under the disguise of religion.

Gosh, you guys act like Cruz is part of the Westboro Baptist Church or something . . .
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:03:52 PM
At 3/14/2016 10:55:56 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/14/2016 10:50:28 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Then vote for Ted Cruz.

Actually, the United States was founded upon Christian values, so Cruz would be right to "rule with traditional Christian values". There are varies references to God and Christianity throughout many historical American documents. You can read those references here: www.internationalcopsforchrist.com/proof-that-america-was-founded-as-a-christian-nation/

"Various references to God and Christianity by the Founders": http://www.liberalamerica.org...

Also, I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers were deists. http://www.britannica.com... "God" is also not mentioned once in the Constitution.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 11:05:23 PM
At 3/14/2016 11:01:48 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 3/14/2016 10:54:03 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

See Skep's post.
Yeah, I saw his post . . . Cruz isn't a Pharisee. In fact, he's never taken a "holier-than-thou" approach to religion or politics. He's a very humble man and never attempts to degrade anyone or promote bigotry under the disguise of religion.

Gosh, you guys act like Cruz is part of the Westboro Baptist Church or something . . .

He did say he is a Christian first, American second, conservative third - and that he hopes to get the vote of those who feel the same.

And for such a wealthy man, he should have no problem tithing. But, you know, he gave (I believe) 0.1% of his income to the church. So he doesn't use the government to help the poor, and he doesn't use the church to help the poor. But, he gives water bottles to anri Planned Parenthood groups in Flint. He has that going.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King