Jump to topic:

Chomsky's criticism of Trump

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:08:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
American linguist, cognitive scientist, historian, and social activist Noam Chomsky issued a critique of Trump, arguing that "the world should be utterly terrified of a Trump presidency." He presented five contentions to support that:

1) Global warming

Chomsky argues that Trump denies the existence of global warming and won't implement strong measures against it, which would result in less mitigation and greater threat from extreme weather events.

"Global warming is a hugely significant phenomenon -- the effects of global warming is extremely severe. The Republican party, Trump in particular will block measures to stop production from coal plants. Trump simply [claims] it isn't happening."

2) Torture

Trump supports authorization of waterboarding and much worse forms of torture, which would violate international law and weaken foreign relations.

"Trump said, 'Fine, let's torture people.' In fact, the kind of torture that"s outlawed by international law and became international scandal -- water boarding -- he said 'that"s the least of it, let"s do more.'"

3) Refugees

Trump had a radical response to the Paris Attacks last year.""Let"s keep all Muslims out of the country" [Trump said], Let"s build a wall, or rather let"s get Mexico to build a wall to prevent people from fleeing into the United States," Chomsky reminded us. "Now, where are they fleeing from? Mostly from Central America where they"re fleeing from the results of our policies."

4) Race relations

""The people flocking to Trump"s banner are the people for whom the death rate is actually increasing," Chomsky notes. "They have seen themselves as having their lives taken away from them, their dignity taken away, the possibilities for the future taken away. That has happened before in the past and the outcomes were not pretty."

5) World war

Chomsky argues that American foreign policy is already a threat to the rest of the globe and that Trump would aggravate that.

http://www.salon.com...

What do you think?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:11:21 PM
At 3/16/2016 3:08:25 PM, tejretics wrote:
American linguist, cognitive scientist, historian, and social activist Noam Chomsky issued a critique of Trump, arguing that "the world should be utterly terrified of a Trump presidency." He presented five contentions to support that:

1) Global warming

Chomsky argues that Trump denies the existence of global warming and won't implement strong measures against it, which would result in less mitigation and greater threat from extreme weather events.

"Global warming is a hugely significant phenomenon -- the effects of global warming is extremely severe. The Republican party, Trump in particular will block measures to stop production from coal plants. Trump simply [claims] it isn't happening."

2) Torture

Trump supports authorization of waterboarding and much worse forms of torture, which would violate international law and weaken foreign relations.

"Trump said, 'Fine, let's torture people.' In fact, the kind of torture that"s outlawed by international law and became international scandal -- water boarding -- he said 'that"s the least of it, let"s do more.'"

3) Refugees

Trump had a radical response to the Paris Attacks last year.""Let"s keep all Muslims out of the country" [Trump said], Let"s build a wall, or rather let"s get Mexico to build a wall to prevent people from fleeing into the United States," Chomsky reminded us. "Now, where are they fleeing from? Mostly from Central America where they"re fleeing from the results of our policies."

4) Race relations

""The people flocking to Trump"s banner are the people for whom the death rate is actually increasing," Chomsky notes. "They have seen themselves as having their lives taken away from them, their dignity taken away, the possibilities for the future taken away. That has happened before in the past and the outcomes were not pretty."

5) World war

Chomsky argues that American foreign policy is already a threat to the rest of the globe and that Trump would aggravate that.

What do you think?

Chomsky's a smart guy.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:33:53 PM

1) Global warming

1) The Science isn't reliable yet to construct accurate complex climate models.
2) The worst case scenarios are easily compensated for. All the money lost in retooling the world's energy grid to inefficient sources could easily be redirected to shoring up coastal areas and irrigating other areas. Retooling the entire power grid could be a disaster in itself.

2) Torture

All countries torture, they just don't have politicians being honest about it.
3) Refugees

The USA can't be the scapegoat for all world problems. We can't afford to be the world police, and we certainly can't afford to take the mantle of world's scapegoat.
4) Race relations

Nationalism can also strengthen race relations at the cost of deteriorating relations from races from other countries, like Mexico. Sometimes adversity against foreigners can promote inner racial equality, as everyone in that nation sees each other as an ally. Equality starts with unity of purpose.
5) World war

Trump has always been against the current kneejerk military intervention policies creating power vacuums at whim, and for negotiations first from a position of strength. Any other politician's policies would be a larger risk for starting a global war.
What do you think?
Silly Chom chom.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:43:01 PM
And yet some wonder why many have an anti-American attitude.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:10:54 PM
At 3/16/2016 3:43:01 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Trump will fix that too. All of his policies are a rejection of the historical "Ugly American"

He will dismantle the world police faster than you can say "Refugees"
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:14:16 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:10:54 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Trump will fix that too. All of his policies are a rejection of the historical "Ugly American"

His policies and the fact that people are supporting them are the primary reasons for my increased dislike.
:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:19:18 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:14:16 PM, Fkkize wrote:

His policies and the fact that people are supporting them are the primary reasons for my increased dislike.

That may be your personal opinion, but the main reason for widespread global aversion has been this "world police" stance post WWII that has created nothing but power vacuums and chaos. Trump is the only person who can reverse this "world police" policy.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:28:22 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:19:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That may be your personal opinion, but the main reason for widespread global aversion has been this "world police" stance post WWII that has created nothing but power vacuums and chaos. Trump is the only person who can reverse this "world police" policy.

This is not only my personal opinion. I have yet to talk to someone IRL who thought any different from that.
Of course being "the world police" did not improve the USA's image, but in central Europe that is, at least lately, a negligible factor.
Lately it is precisely the reasons I mentioned which are not doing America's image a favor.
:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:36:53 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:28:22 PM, Fkkize wrote:

This is not only my personal opinion. I have yet to talk to someone IRL who thought any different from that.
Of course being "the world police" did not improve the USA's image, but in central Europe that is, at least lately, a negligible factor.
Lately it is precisely the reasons I mentioned which are not doing America's image a favor.

When America implements it's isolationist policies under Trump; when they take their military ball and go home, the world can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. It's time for the world to be free of the shackles of Americanism.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:44:03 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:36:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

When America implements it's isolationist policies under Trump; when they take their military ball and go home, the world can all breathe a collective sigh of relief. It's time for the world to be free of the shackles of Americanism.

As I have said in my last response, all of this is negligible.
:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:45:06 PM
At 3/16/2016 4:44:03 PM, Fkkize wrote:
At 3/16/2016 4:36:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

As I have said in my last response, all of this is negligible.

Your opinions will also be negligible when America is out of your business.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 5:52:56 PM

1) Global warming

What do you think?

I chuckled as soon as I saw the name "Chomsky", which grew to a guffaw when I saw that number # is "global warming".

Did he really say "global warming" and not "climate change", btw? I'm pretty sure that GW is off the table now, the data just isn't there. So it's climate change that's the big threat, don't you know, things will be more and more of what they are, and Trump won't do anything to stop that!
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 5:59:09 PM
At 3/16/2016 3:33:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

1) Global warming

2) The worst case scenarios are easily compensated for. All the money lost in retooling the world's energy grid to inefficient sources could easily be redirected to shoring up coastal areas and irrigating other areas. Retooling the entire power grid could be a disaster in itself.

2) Torture

3) Refugees

The USA can't be the scapegoat for all world problems. We can't afford to be the world police, and we certainly can't afford to take the mantle of world's scapegoat.
4) Race relations

Nationalism can also strengthen race relations at the cost of deteriorating relations from races from other countries, like Mexico. Sometimes adversity against foreigners can promote inner racial equality, as everyone in that nation sees each other as an ally. Equality starts with unity of purpose.
5) World war

Trump has always been against the current kneejerk military intervention policies creating power vacuums at whim, and for negotiations first from a position of strength. Any other politician's policies would be a larger risk for starting a global war.
What do you think?
Silly Chom chom.

And that's the well reasoned and explained response there.

I said from the beginning - politics has come to a strange pass when a guy vowing to enforce the law (immigration) is considered a wild extremist.

I think Trump will probably turn out to be a pretty moderate and a pretty decent president. He'll make some rookie mistakes, there will be some bouncing off the walls, but shoot, Mickey Mouse could oversee a giant recovery after the beating we've been taking for the last 7 years. I think the guy has established he's brilliant, the way he's engineered his campaign, and it will be interesting to see if he can execute any of the stuff he's promised.
This space for rent.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 6:37:04 PM
At 3/16/2016 5:59:09 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 3/16/2016 3:33:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

1) Global warming

2) Torture

3) Refugees

4) Race relations

5) World war

What do you think?
Silly Chom chom.

I said from the beginning - politics has come to a strange pass when a guy vowing to enforce the law (immigration) is considered a wild extremist.

I think Trump will probably turn out to be a pretty moderate and a pretty decent president. He'll make some rookie mistakes, there will be some bouncing off the walls, but shoot, Mickey Mouse could oversee a giant recovery after the beating we've been taking for the last 7 years. I think the guy has established he's brilliant, the way he's engineered his campaign, and it will be interesting to see if he can execute any of the stuff he's promised.

If it only were the case the guy was a "wild extremist". The guy makes George W look like a mastermind. He's only an immature narcissist whose policies start and end with boilerplate platitudes. Riddle me this, how does one enforce his Muslim policy? To say nothing of its utter moral depravity.

The guy has made sexist comments, racist comments, ableist comments, bigoted comments and so on. He was a birther. We could go on and on. The fact he's got this far says alot about us as a species, and none of it good.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:49:45 PM
At 3/16/2016 6:37:04 PM, unitedandy wrote:

If it only were the case the guy was a "wild extremist". The guy makes George W look like a mastermind. He's only an immature narcissist

Sure, he's the immature narcissist, not, say, Barack Obama. It would be the guy that's built a billion dollar empire, he obviously must be immature and doesn't play well with others. That's the thing, the derangement that Trump has exposed, it's..... deranged.

whose policies start and end with boilerplate platitudes.

Again - boilerplate platitudes? People are freaking out because he says what everybody always says?

Riddle me this, how does one enforce his Muslim policy? To say nothing of its utter moral depravity.

Well, it's not a bit morally depraved. No country is under any moral obligation to accept people who want to do it harm. Look, Islam sucks, it's been a scourge on the back of humanity for 1500 years. Why the left suddenly wants to go out on this limb is beyond me. We should tolerate Islam if people are otherwise well behaved, but it's just absurd to pretend it's not a big problem.

The guy has made sexist comments, racist comments, ableist comments, bigoted comments and so on. He was a birther. We could go on and on. The fact he's got this far says alot about us as a species, and none of it good.

And you are a member of this species, so check your mirror.
This space for rent.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:52:48 PM

I think another person is in need of a good stumping.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:56:35 PM
At 3/16/2016 8:52:48 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I think another person is in need of a good stumping.

lol
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:58:02 PM
At 3/16/2016 6:37:04 PM, unitedandy wrote::
If it only were the case the guy was a "wild extremist". The guy makes George W look like a mastermind. He's only an immature narcissist whose policies start and end with boilerplate platitudes. Riddle me this, how does one enforce his Muslim policy? To say nothing of its utter moral depravity.

+1
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 9:10:08 PM
At 3/16/2016 5:59:09 PM, v3nesl wrote:

He's arguing for deporting people based solely on their religion. Thats discrimination based on religion, which protection from which is a human right. Its not crazy at all to state that this concept is extremist. Regardless, the immigration laws currently could be argued to be idiotic and extremist, thus enforcing it would be extremist.

He's pro and con abortion. For and against gun control. For and against gay marriage. He's just trying to get the most votes, not change anything.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:09:58 PM
At 3/16/2016 9:10:08 PM, Hayd wrote:

He's pro and con abortion. For and against gun control. For and against gay marriage. He's just trying to get the most votes, not change anything.

The fact that he is no-ones puppet is the most frightening thing of all. Unlike Obama who always consulted with his party before doing anything, Trump would consult with none of the establishment. Everyone rides in the back of the bus, not just Democrats.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:30:16 PM
At 3/16/2016 8:49:45 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 3/16/2016 6:37:04 PM, unitedandy wrote:

If it only were the case the guy was a "wild extremist". The guy makes George W look like a mastermind. He's only an immature narcissist

Sure, he's the immature narcissist, not, say, Barack Obama. It would be the guy that's built a billion dollar empire, he obviously must be immature and doesn't play well with others. That's the thing, the derangement that Trump has exposed, it's..... deranged.

What has he exposed, apart from there is a HUGE problem with a large section of the Republican electorate? He's an absolute embarrassment, whether you're a staunch capitalist or flaming communist.

whose policies start and end with boilerplate platitudes.

Again - boilerplate platitudes? People are freaking out because he says what everybody always says?

Yep, he's that crazy uncle that thinks we didn't land on the moon - an everyman right enough, lol. Whenever he's asked a tough question, his responses are ridiculous - "we'll get the best people" or "I'll do it better". Which brings us to below.

Riddle me this, how does one enforce his Muslim policy? To say nothing of its utter moral depravity.

Well, it's not a bit morally depraved. No country is under any moral obligation to accept people who want to do it harm. Look, Islam sucks, it's been a scourge on the back of humanity for 1500 years. Why the left suddenly wants to go out on this limb is beyond me. We should tolerate Islam if people are otherwise well behaved, but it's just absurd to pretend it's not a big problem.

How are you going to enforce it, forgetting all the horrors and such?

Having a religious test to enter a country is bananas - it would be unworkable, morally repugnant and is literally the biggest propaganda tool for terrorism.

And you are a member of this species, so check your mirror.

So, when he makes fun of the disabled, say, do you think that's just him "cutting through political correctness"?

I honestly can't believe it. Ah well, at least when defaults the country, you guys will have a President who knows the bankruptcy courts, lol.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:31:06 PM
I chuckled as soon as I saw the name "Chomsky", which grew to a guffaw when I saw that number # is "global warming".

Did he really say "global warming" and not "climate change", btw? I'm pretty sure that GW is off the table now, the data just isn't there. So it's climate change that's the big threat, don't you know, things will be more and more of what they are, and Trump won't do anything to stop that!

What makes you think global warming is "off the table"?

Good lord man. I didn't think you were this sort of denier.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:36:39 PM
At 3/16/2016 10:09:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/16/2016 9:10:08 PM, Hayd wrote:

The fact that he is no-ones puppet is the most frightening thing of all. Unlike Obama who always consulted with his party before doing anything, Trump would consult with none of the establishment. Everyone rides in the back of the bus, not just Democrats.

very true
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:45:35 PM
I could honestly care less what Noam Chomsky thinks of anyone.

But where is his critique of all of the other presidential candidates? None of them are without faults. Or does he only critique Republican presidential candidates?

If he is such a critic of American foreign policy, where is his critique of Obama's foreign policy nightmare?

For someone who once defended the "unconditional freedom of speech", he sure does seem to take issue with what Trump has to say. And his hypocrisy can't be understated since he didn't say anything at all about Trump's free speech rights being violated in Chicago.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 10:52:04 PM
At 3/16/2016 10:45:35 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
I could honestly care less what Noam Chomsky thinks of anyone.

But where is his critique of all of the other presidential candidates? None of them are without faults. Or does he only critique Republican presidential candidates?

If he is such a critic of American foreign policy, where is his critique of Obama's foreign policy nightmare?

For someone who once defended the "unconditional freedom of speech", he sure does seem to take issue with what Trump has to say. And his hypocrisy can't be understated since he didn't say anything at all about Trump's free speech rights being violated in Chicago.

He has been very critical of Obama and Clinton on foreign policy, drones most critically.
one-mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 11:00:02 PM

1) Global warming

2) Torture

3) Refugees

4) Race relations

5) World war

What do you think? : :

Fear is something that will keep you from knowing the Truth and there isn't any Truth in this world.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 12:48:36 AM
At 3/16/2016 11:00:02 PM, one-mind wrote:

1) Global warming

2) Torture

3) Refugees

4) Race relations

5) World war

Fear is something that will keep you from knowing the Truth and there isn't any Truth in this world.

Is THAT true?
one-mind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 1:43:40 AM
At 3/17/2016 12:48:36 AM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/16/2016 11:00:02 PM, one-mind wrote:

1) Global warming

2) Torture

3) Refugees

4) Race relations

5) World war

Is THAT true? : :

That sentence was spoken by the Truth.