Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Obama Administration declares ISIS genocide

1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:12:39 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

Just wait for the "he took too long" responses.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:13:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

But... To that directly. It is bad news. It means we are on our way to another disaasterious ME misadventure.
imabench
Posts: 21,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:16:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

From what I heard, there was resistance to declare the actions of ISIS as a genocide because doing so would have automatically triggered some sort of response/intervention that the US would have to carry out by their own laws. The link though suggests that that might not be true
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:33:41 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

damn it
Chloe8
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 5:52:19 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

It is clear Islamic state have committed genocide so it's right the USA acknowledges this fact and condemns these evil terrorists.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:32:41 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
The left, who is supposedly for equality, would have of course preferred to not call it what it is. But I guess the 393-0 vote swayed their opinion.

Now identify the enemy, declare war on ISIS, and wipe them off the face of the planet.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:39:11 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 6:32:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
The left, who is supposedly for equality, would have of course preferred to not call it what it is.
The problem is the response it triggers.

Now identify the enemy, declare war on ISIS, and wipe them off the face of the planet.
And you think it is this easy. The same problem Bush had. Don't be a food. Its not like an item on a check-list - "Wipe out ISIL, done". The ME is a shitpot because of our terrible interventions. This will solve nothing, and cost plenty.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:47:24 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 6:39:11 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:32:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
The left, who is supposedly for equality, would have of course preferred to not call it what it is.
The problem is the response it triggers.

Now identify the enemy, declare war on ISIS, and wipe them off the face of the planet.
And you think it is this easy. The same problem Bush had. Don't be a food. Its not like an item on a check-list - "Wipe out ISIL, done". The ME is a shitpot because of our terrible interventions. This will solve nothing, and cost plenty.

Never said it was easy, and you are producing a strawman argument by claiming I did.

The Middle East has been a "shitpot" as you say, for far longer than the US has been involved. I'll concede that many of our interventions have not helped. Wiping out dictator regimes and leaving vacuums in place has been a horrible foreign policy strategy. But please, let us all know what you'd prefer to do. Just leave it alone, let ISIS kill everyone that isn't muslim, rape women, kill children, etc, etc. Sounds great.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:51:04 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 6:47:24 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:39:11 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:32:41 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
The left, who is supposedly for equality, would have of course preferred to not call it what it is.
The problem is the response it triggers.

Now identify the enemy, declare war on ISIS, and wipe them off the face of the planet.
And you think it is this easy. The same problem Bush had. Don't be a food. Its not like an item on a check-list - "Wipe out ISIL, done". The ME is a shitpot because of our terrible interventions. This will solve nothing, and cost plenty.

Never said it was easy, and you are producing a strawman argument by claiming I did.

The Middle East has been a "shitpot" as you say, for far longer than the US has been involved. I'll concede that many of our interventions have not helped. Wiping out dictator regimes and leaving vacuums in place has been a horrible foreign policy strategy. But please, let us all know what you'd prefer to do. Just leave it alone, let ISIS kill everyone that isn't muslim, rape women, kill children, etc, etc. Sounds great.

When we agree that our actions result in negative results, the only smart option is to stop doing the very things that make matters worse. Yea, we do nothing. We are not able to "fix" this one.
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?
RookieApologist
Posts: 469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,829
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 7:39:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

"He took too long"
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 9:02:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Dang it! Genocide is most effective when nobody talks about it. Why did Congress have to RUIN it?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:34:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:13:43 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

But... To that directly. It is bad news. It means we are on our way to another disaasterious ME misadventure.

I can just see it

"God gave me some burning bush and a tablet but I smashed it"
-Moses

"God is my dad"
-Jesus

"God took me on a flying pony to paradise while I was in a cave"
-Mohammed

"God told me to invade Iraq"
-George Bush

"God told me to invade Yemen"
-John Kerry 2017

"God told me to build a wall"
-Herr Donald Drumpf 2017
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:36:39 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.

Wait, there are actually people who think we should "take out" ISIS? That's the worst possible thing to do! Look at the Middle-East since the Ottoman Empire collapse to now.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:39:20 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:36:39 PM, smelisox wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.

Wait, there are actually people who think we should "take out" ISIS? That's the worst possible thing to do! Look at the Middle-East since the Ottoman Empire collapse to now.

They want to run the same bad play over and over no matter how many times it means disaster and real negative effects for the people we say we want to save.
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:45:51 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:39:20 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:36:39 PM, smelisox wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.

Wait, there are actually people who think we should "take out" ISIS? That's the worst possible thing to do! Look at the Middle-East since the Ottoman Empire collapse to now.

They want to run the same bad play over and over no matter how many times it means disaster and real negative effects for the people we say we want to save.

The only good outcome I see is organising a compromise. The very liberties people whine on about (which I don't believe in, but that's another matter) are DENIED to ISIS by killing them. That's absolutely idiotic.

It's like promoting the use of the word "nigger" then killing someone for calling you a nigger.
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 10:49:09 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:39:20 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:36:39 PM, smelisox wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.

Wait, there are actually people who think we should "take out" ISIS? That's the worst possible thing to do! Look at the Middle-East since the Ottoman Empire collapse to now.

They want to run the same bad play over and over no matter how many times it means disaster and real negative effects for the people we say we want to save.

What is the brightline for when we should and shouldn't intervene in the ME? Or should we never, even in the face of mass genocide?
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 12:24:12 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Even if ISIS is committing genocide it is no threat to America. There are no group in the Syrian civil war that is fighting for freedom and Liberty, only different degrees of tyranny. All sides in this war are see America as an enemy.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 12:43:09 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

Yes it's a positive thing that the Obama administration has finally acknowledged the genocide being committed by Islamic state.
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:27:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 12:43:09 AM, beng100 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

Yes it's a positive thing that the Obama administration has finally acknowledged the genocide being committed by Islamic state.

Unfortunately, the US has yet to apologise for their native american genocide.
smelisox
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:28:10 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 10:49:09 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:39:20 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 10:36:39 PM, smelisox wrote:
At 3/17/2016 9:24:07 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
At 3/17/2016 7:24:56 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/17/2016 6:55:09 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
Guess we just hope they get tired of killing people huh? I think it's time to let them become the martyrs they so desire to be.

I ask again. Why do you think that "taking them out" will improve the situation? We we accept that our intervention is not going to improve the situation, why do it?

I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide. If there is some other way - sanctions, diplomacy, harsh language - then I'm all ears.

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

Going back as far as you like, when has any intervention done anything good? The entire reason they "hate" us is because of our obsession with messing around in their backyards. Why keep doing it? Why do you think they WANT us to attack?

Just stop. It is utter insanity. We have a very good history to draw from with the ME. Every sign says, just leave.

Wait, there are actually people who think we should "take out" ISIS? That's the worst possible thing to do! Look at the Middle-East since the Ottoman Empire collapse to now.

They want to run the same bad play over and over no matter how many times it means disaster and real negative effects for the people we say we want to save.

What is the brightline for when we should and shouldn't intervene in the ME? Or should we never, even in the face of mass genocide?

Never.
beng100
Posts: 1,055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 8:05:47 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 6:27:10 AM, smelisox wrote:
At 3/18/2016 12:43:09 AM, beng100 wrote:
At 3/17/2016 5:00:25 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://abcnews.go.com...

Secretary of State John Kerry announced today that the terror group ISIS is guilty of committing genocide against Christians, Yazidis and Shia Muslims.

Thoughts on that, anyone?

Yes it's a positive thing that the Obama administration has finally acknowledged the genocide being committed by Islamic state.

Unfortunately, the US has yet to apologise for their native american genocide.

True.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 9:41:35 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/17/2016 7:31:57 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
I don't accept that our intervention won't improve the situation. Just because our past ME involvement doesn't seem to have improved the situation doesn't mean we should do nothing in the case of ISIS.

Ok, so what's your idea for successfully intervening?

Eliminating them will keep them from committing genocide.

"Just eliminate the dictators to prevent human rights abuses." Same sh!t, different time and place

You do realize they want the entire globe to be an Islamic caliphate right? Do you think they will stop once they control the entire middle east?

They won't get that far.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 9:49:04 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/18/2016 6:27:10 AM, smelisox wrote:
Unfortunately, the US has yet to apologise for their native american genocide.

As we are reliably informed, the 2009 Apology to Native Peoples of the United States and the Apology Act of 1993 have yet to happen.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw