Jump to topic:

3rd Wave Feminism and Identity Politics

Jean-Paul_Blartre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 8:47:03 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
3rd wave feminism and identity politics among members of the regressive left in the US is absolutely toxic. Many political thinkers are engendering a censorship ridden attitude where one can be held responsible for the subjective feelings of those around them. On college campuses across the US, more and more students are actively silencing the voices of those who disagree with their cause. Many refuse to entertain any ideas that directly conflict with their own, and as a result discourse as a learning tool and a method of exploration is becoming increasingly corroded. Fascism in the form of silencing any idea that conflicts with your own is a threat to free speech and stifles production conversation. If all ideas cannot be tested and explored to their logical conclusions, then one cannot know for certain that their position is the most reasonable. Furthermore, identity politics are encouraging many minority persons in the world to falsely believe that they need to be coddled to thrive. Racist democrats in the 1920's actively fought to keep police out of black neighborhoods so that black communities would be despondent with crime, keeping black people in poverty. Now in 2016, racist democrats such as HRC seek to keep black people in poverty through racist movements such as the BLM movement that has actively sought to reduce law enforcement presence in black communities, and even has gone so far as to seek racially segregated housing on college campuses. This is a major step back in terms of civil rights. Black people are not children. Black people are not stupid. Black people do not need to be coddled. Black people should be empowered to escape poverty just as any poor person should be empowered to escape poverty: investing massively in the availability of care and education (especially at young ages) to children in poor households, guaranteeing that all people have access to proper healthcare so that they are able to work to the best of their ability, and by establishing safety and comfort in impoverished communities through increased spending on parks/recreation centers and also increased police presence (and better training of police). Women do not need to be coddled either. In modern academia, Men make up only 42% of college campuses. Women also have twice as much job availability in STEM academia. The concept that many liberals so viciously assert that somehow women and minorities need to be treated like children is a much more sinister form of racism and sexism, and should not be tolerated. It is made especially dangerous by fascist sentiments held fairly widely by regressive liberals. White middle class women largely populate the leadership of the regressive left, and it is not their place to dictate how minority persons should think, and to spell out what is and is not racism. The rules of political correctness are becoming increasingly bizarre and strict. Donald Trump is politically incorrect to say "When Mexico sends its people, they"re not sending the best. They"re sending people that have lots of problems and they"re bringing those problems. They"re bringing drugs, they"re bringing crime. They"re rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they"re telling us what we"re getting." This is politically incorrect because Trump is making generalizations about Mexican immigrants (illegal or otherwise) implying that they are by and large dangerous criminals. This is racial stereotyping, and is politically and ethically incorrect. When Trump says, "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her" wherever." He's not being politically incorrect. He's just being a jerk, which really isn't that big of a deal. Most people are jerks.

Sidenote: I would argue that the US police are becoming increasingly militaristic unnecessarily as a result of the idiotic war on drugs.
If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 9:37:33 AM
This predates 3rd wave feminism in the public sphere. [some!] College students being willful and complicit ignorami isn't new either.

Why do we call socprogs the "regressive" left again?
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 1:03:25 PM
Hm...interesting. There's another (banned) member who also uses the terms 'regressive left' and 'toxic'.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Jean-Paul_Blartre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:57:32 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:03:25 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Hm...interesting. There's another (banned) member who also uses the terms 'regressive left' and 'toxic'.

Ha! What makes you think I am a banned member?

And assuming I was a banned member, would that necessarily invalidate my position in any capacity in your opinion?
If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:36:06 PM
At 3/18/2016 3:57:32 PM, Jean-Paul_Blartre wrote:

And assuming I was a banned member, would that necessarily invalidate my position in any capacity in your opinion?

Why do you keep copy and pasting false words.

Trump clearly said their rapists, not they're rapists.

Bad reporting is worse when it's guzzled down like authoritarian kool-aid.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:36:40 PM

Those terms--but the entire post is pretty similar to what this individual would write.

No, it wouldn't invalidate the position or the content of your point(s) at all; rather I've just made an observation that might or might not be correct.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:36:46 PM

What is toxic is that wall of text
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:37:13 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:36:46 PM, TBR wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:38:44 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:37:13 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.

Thought so too at first. Searched it out, and this is the only indexed instance of it. Nope. All his original rant.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:38:57 PM

What wall of text?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:41:18 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:38:57 PM, Emilrose wrote:

What wall of text?

Did you miss the giant single paragraph that started this thread?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:43:05 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:38:44 PM, TBR wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.

Thought so too at first. Searched it out, and this is the only indexed instance of it. Nope. All his original rant.

No it is copy pasta, the apostrophes are pasted as quotation marks.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:43:49 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:41:18 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:38:57 PM, Emilrose wrote:

What wall of text?

Did you miss the giant single paragraph that started this thread?

I see, just wanted to clarify ;)

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:47:36 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:43:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.

Yes, I see that. He took the time to write that mess in word, but not enough to add a CR or two.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:49:53 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:47:36 PM, TBR wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.

Yes, I see that. He took the time to write that mess in word, but not enough to add a CR or two.

Convincing enough for me that he probably didn't write it.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:20:17 PM
Now in 2016, racist democrats such as HRC seek to keep black people in poverty through racist movements such as the BLM movement that has actively sought to reduce law enforcement presence in black communities,:

LMAO. Except for the fact that, generally speaking, BLM very strongly dislikes HRC - to put it is in the politest terms.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 11:28:31 PM
At 3/18/2016 5:20:17 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Now in 2016, racist democrats such as HRC seek to keep black people in poverty through racist movements such as the BLM movement that has actively sought to reduce law enforcement presence in black communities,:

LMAO. Except for the fact that, generally speaking, BLM very strongly dislikes HRC - to put it is in the politest terms.

Why? Her husband can play the saxophone; isn't that enough?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Jean-Paul_Blartre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:56:25 AM
At 3/18/2016 4:49:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:47:36 PM, TBR wrote:

It's lazy copy pasta.

Convincing enough for me that he probably didn't write it.

Actually I wrote that using the regular forum posting form. I was just drunk as sh*t when I wrote it so I didn't bother to format it.
Jean-Paul_Blartre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:58:02 AM
At 3/18/2016 4:36:40 PM, Emilrose wrote:

Those terms--but the entire post is pretty similar to what this individual would write.

Interesting theory. I am indeed a past member of the site. No I was not banned nor was I ever banned. I don't know if you would have considered me well known, but I was fairly high up on the debate leader board and many of the more active members of the site knew me.

No, it wouldn't invalidate the position or the content of your point(s) at all; rather I've just made an observation that might or might not be correct.

Ah I see. Care to comment on my points?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 1:15:48 PM
At 3/19/2016 4:58:02 AM, Jean-Paul_Blartre wrote:

Interesting theory. I am indeed a past member of the site. No I was not banned nor was I ever banned. I don't know if you would have considered me well known, but I was fairly high up on the debate leader board and many of the more active members of the site knew me.

Indeed, seeing as you were not banned--maybe you could say what your previous username was?

Ah I see. Care to comment on my points?

I'm mostly pretty neutral on them ;)

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:27:51 PM
At 3/18/2016 11:28:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Lol, unfortunately that doesn't out weigh her "overenthusiastic" advocacy for the crime bill (for one example among many).
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 2:34:04 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:27:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Lol, unfortunately that doesn't out weigh her "overenthusiastic" advocacy for the crime bill (for one example among many).

Yeah, the black support that Hillary garners is just mind boggling to me...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:23:48 PM
At 3/19/2016 2:34:04 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/19/2016 2:27:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yeah, the black support that Hillary garners is just mind boggling to me...

You and me both, man. Frustrates the hell outta me.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:26:08 PM

Playing the saxophone isn't the only thing Bill can do for you...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 4:27:26 PM

Also: https://www.youtube.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Jean-Paul_Blartre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:32:21 PM
At 3/19/2016 1:15:48 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 3/19/2016 4:58:02 AM, Jean-Paul_Blartre wrote:

Indeed, seeing as you were not banned--maybe you could say what your previous username was?

I'm making a game of it. Some people have figured it out already (primarily bc I got drunk and showed my face in a hangout). I'd rather not give it away publicly yet.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:45:03 PM
What is amazing is how racist, sexist, and bigoted postmodern feminism and race feminism is. It's incredibly ironic... but that's a conversation I'd defer to Milo Yiannaupolis for. He can communicate that idea better than I would; it's probably his exquisitely gay and entirely British elocution.

But the reality is that when there is an absence of women (or, at least, a perceived absence) in traditionally male spheres; this is something that requires social justice warriors to intervene. But when there is an absence of men in traditionally female spheres, no one balks. In fact, if men even attempt to enter traditionally female spheres, even the most progressive feminists take issue with that.

You're never going to see a third wave feminist talk about the need for more male nurses, or male dental hygienists, or male secretaries. Ever. It's just not going to happen.
Tsar of DDO
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:00:31 AM
At 3/18/2016 8:47:03 AM, Jean-Paul_Blartre wrote:
3rd wave feminism and identity politics among members of the regressive left in the US is absolutely toxic. Many political thinkers are engendering a censorship ridden attitude where one can be held responsible for the subjective feelings of those around them. On college campuses across the US, more and more students are actively silencing the voices of those who disagree with their cause. Many refuse to entertain any ideas that directly conflict with their own, and as a result discourse as a learning tool and a method of exploration is becoming increasingly corroded. Fascism in the form of silencing any idea that conflicts with your own is a threat to free speech and stifles production conversation. If all ideas cannot be tested and explored to their logical conclusions, then one cannot know for certain that their position is the most reasonable. Furthermore, identity politics are encouraging many minority persons in the world to falsely believe that they need to be coddled to thrive. Racist democrats in the 1920's actively fought to keep police out of black neighborhoods so that black communities would be despondent with crime, keeping black people in poverty. Now in 2016, racist democrats such as HRC seek to keep black people in poverty through racist movements such as the BLM movement that has actively sought to reduce law enforcement presence in black communities, and even has gone so far as to seek racially segregated housing on college campuses. This is a major step back in terms of civil rights. Black people are not children. Black people are not stupid. Black people do not need to be coddled. Black people should be empowered to escape poverty just as any poor person should be empowered to escape poverty: investing massively in the availability of care and education (especially at young ages) to children in poor households, guaranteeing that all people have access to proper healthcare so that they are able to work to the best of their ability, and by establishing safety and comfort in impoverished communities through increased spending on parks/recreation centers and also increased police presence (and better training of police). Women do not need to be coddled either. In modern academia, Men make up only 42% of college campuses. Women also have twice as much job availability in STEM academia. The concept that many liberals so viciously assert that somehow women and minorities need to be treated like children is a much more sinister form of racism and sexism, and should not be tolerated. It is made especially dangerous by fascist sentiments held fairly widely by regressive liberals. White middle class women largely populate the leadership of the regressive left, and it is not their place to dictate how minority persons should think, and to spell out what is and is not racism. The rules of political correctness are becoming increasingly bizarre and strict. Donald Trump is politically incorrect to say "When Mexico sends its people, they"re not sending the best. They"re sending people that have lots of problems and they"re bringing those problems. They"re bringing drugs, they"re bringing crime. They"re rapists and some, I assume, are good people, but I speak to border guards and they"re telling us what we"re getting." This is politically incorrect because Trump is making generalizations about Mexican immigrants (illegal or otherwise) implying that they are by and large dangerous criminals. This is racial stereotyping, and is politically and ethically incorrect. When Trump says, "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her" wherever." He's not being politically incorrect. He's just being a jerk, which really isn't that big of a deal. Most people are jerks.

Sidenote: I would argue that the US police are becoming increasingly militaristic unnecessarily as a result of the idiotic war on drugs.
We have a bunch of PC SJW idiots who think that because you disagree with someone you aren't allowed to express your opinion.
I agree that no one should be coddled like this.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 4:51:52 AM
At 3/19/2016 4:27:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Also: https://www.youtube.com...

Lol, I hate that quote because nobody ever understands Morrison's actual point (that typical negative black stereotypes were used to attack Clinton).
- Hilaire Belloc -