Jump to topic:

Should we stop protesting Trump?

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:50:50 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
The protests surrounding Trump seem to be entrenching his supporters even further in his corner, while simultaneously firing up his opponents.

For Trump opponents, does protesting Trump do more harm than good?

For Trump supporters, do the protests do anything to influence your support?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 5:58:28 PM
At 3/20/2016 5:50:50 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The protests surrounding Trump seem to be entrenching his supporters even further in his corner, while simultaneously firing up his opponents.

It depends. It makes his supporters look bad when they beat up silent protesters, it damages the image of his campaign, but it also riles up his base.

It makes the "us vs them" mentality much more prevalent.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 6:03:59 PM
At 3/20/2016 5:58:28 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It depends. It makes his supporters look bad when they beat up silent protesters, it damages the image of his campaign, but it also riles up his base.

Does it make them look back to anyone that matters? To hear the pundits talk about it, the rallies are getting out of hand, but were they going to vote for Trump anyway? Were their listeners?

I agree. Do you think the protests are worth it?
- lamerde

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 6:05:29 PM
At 3/20/2016 6:03:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Does it make them look back to anyone that matters? To hear the pundits talk about it, the rallies are getting out of hand, but were they going to vote for Trump anyway? Were their listeners?

General swing voters could be turned off by it.

I agree. Do you think the protests are worth it?

I don't know the extent of its effects, so I don't know.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 6:19:42 PM

I think showing sincere protests that don't break any laws (blocking highways, crashing private rallies etc...) would be way more effective. Imagine if you organized 20 thousand people to sit in a public place peacefully outside near a Trump rally. Don't you think that would get more (good) press coverage, and also more supporters, and also be more likely to sway swing voters?

When Trump's platform is "I am not afraid to take on the PC police that try to shut you and me up"...and you crash his rallies....how are you not surprised then that Trump gains more supporters?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:13:05 PM
At 3/20/2016 6:05:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/20/2016 6:03:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:

General swing voters could be turned off by it.

I think they're the key right now, and the reason why polls have both Sanders and Clinton leveling him in a general election match-up. The protests might solidify the base, but I think they're chipping away at support he may have in the center.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:16:08 PM
At 3/20/2016 6:19:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I think showing sincere protests that don't break any laws (blocking highways, crashing private rallies etc...) would be way more effective. Imagine if you organized 20 thousand people to sit in a public place peacefully outside near a Trump rally. Don't you think that would get more (good) press coverage, and also more supporters, and also be more likely to sway swing voters?

When Trump's platform is "I am not afraid to take on the PC police that try to shut you and me up"...and you crash his rallies....how are you not surprised then that Trump gains more supporters?

I agree with you. I remember the story of the silently protesting Muslim woman who was kicked out of one of his rallies:

http://www.cnn.com...

That story made the news circuit rounds for a while and seemed a lot more damning of Trump's position than the hectic and violent protests going on now. I think the wave of protests we're seeing now are what happens when a lot of anger and resentment and frustration meet a lack of direction and forethought. The political process takes a long time but these protesters seem to want immediate change. It's not going to happen. In fact, there will be (and has been) backlash.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:18:11 PM
Sanders on protesting Trump:

http://www.breitbart.com...

A snippet: "We have never, not once, urged any supporter of ours to disrupt a meeting. I think that"s kind of counterproductive. Having a respective demonstration"a protest"is I think absolutely right. You have a guy here in Trump who has insulted Muslims, insulted Mexicans, insulted women, insulted the African-American community, insulted veterans, you know, and I think it is totally right for people to protest. Disrupting rallies is not my style. I would urge people not to do that."
- lamerde

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 9:31:07 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:16:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

That story made the news circuit rounds for a while and seemed a lot more damning of Trump's position than the hectic and violent protests going on now. I think the wave of protests we're seeing now are what happens when a lot of anger and resentment and frustration meet a lack of direction and forethought. The political process takes a long time but these protesters seem to want immediate change. It's not going to happen. In fact, there will be (and has been) backlash.

There's also the obvious element of the wealthy establishment using paid protesters to force politics down the public's throat. There are only so many years they can get away with it before the masses rebel from feeling like they don't have a voice.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 9:54:26 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:17:58 PM, Geographia wrote:
The protestors just make me think they're idiots.

Do you think that about all protesting or just the kind that's happening with Trump?

What do you think about the reactions of Trump and his supporters?
- lamerde

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 9:56:48 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:18:11 PM, Maikuru wrote:

A snippet: "We have never, not once, urged any supporter of ours to disrupt a meeting. I think that"s kind of counterproductive. Having a respective demonstration"a protest"is I think absolutely right. You have a guy here in Trump who has insulted Muslims, insulted Mexicans, insulted women, insulted the African-American community, insulted veterans, you know, and I think it is totally right for people to protest. Disrupting rallies is not my style. I would urge people not to do that."

Highly likely that the Bernie sign carriers were paid by Hillary PACs.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:28:53 PM
The kinds of newsworthy disruptive protests need to stop no matter how you view Trump. Shutting down political rallies is wrong and since Trump has a secret service detail, it's illegal. He's being incredibly lenient by not demanding that charges are pressed. Also the way these people protest is just really f*cking dumb. Blocking a highway? Why? What do the people using the highway even have to do with Trump? People who block highways deserve to be run over.

Trump won Missouri and therefore captured it's 12 at large delegates by 0.2%. 100% Ted Cruz would've won if he hadn't sided with the protestors who shut down the Trump rally. Several districts in Missouri and Illinois were extremely close as well, enough for an event like this to have swung them. All told, the Chicago riot probably netted Trump 20-25 delegates, about 2% of what he needs for the nomination and severely damaged his principle opponent who went 0-5 last Tuesday. They're handing him the nomination on a silver platter

But to answer your question, yes, it strengthens my support and makes me wish that I could vote for Trump all over again.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:32:34 PM
At 3/20/2016 9:31:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/20/2016 7:16:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

There's also the obvious element of the wealthy establishment using paid protesters to force politics down the public's throat. There are only so many years they can get away with it before the masses rebel from feeling like they don't have a voice.

I think that kind of pushback is happening now, with both Trump and Sanders. The more the pundits say the establishment should win, the more the voters say it's not happening. I wonder sometimes how much people are voting for these candidates and how much they're voting against the establishment.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:33:25 PM
At 3/20/2016 9:56:48 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Interesting theory. The more we see people holding Bernie signs during the protests, the more flak people can send his way.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:34:38 PM
At 3/20/2016 10:28:53 PM, thett3 wrote:
The kinds of newsworthy disruptive protests need to stop no matter how you view Trump. Shutting down political rallies is wrong and since Trump has a secret service detail, it's illegal. He's being incredibly lenient by not demanding that charges are pressed. Also the way these people protest is just really f*cking dumb. Blocking a highway? Why? What do the people using the highway even have to do with Trump? People who block highways deserve to be run over.

Trump won Missouri and therefore captured it's 12 at large delegates by 0.2%. 100% Ted Cruz would've won if he hadn't sided with the protestors who shut down the Trump rally. Several districts in Missouri and Illinois were extremely close as well, enough for an event like this to have swung them. All told, the Chicago riot probably netted Trump 20-25 delegates, about 2% of what he needs for the nomination and severely damaged his principle opponent who went 0-5 last Tuesday. They're handing him the nomination on a silver platter

But to answer your question, yes, it strengthens my support and makes me wish that I could vote for Trump all over again.

If people wanted to deny Trump the nomination at this point, what do you think they could do?
- lamerde

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:40:06 PM
At 3/20/2016 10:33:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Interesting theory. The more we see people holding Bernie signs during the protests, the more flak people can send his way.

It's pretty obvious, Soros and Moveon are part of the Hillarymachine, not Sanders.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:41:37 PM
At 3/20/2016 10:34:38 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/20/2016 10:28:53 PM, thett3 wrote:

If people wanted to deny Trump the nomination at this point, what do you think they could do?

I don't know. The more the establishment rallies around Ted Cruz, the less appealing he becomes to a lot of Republicans. Already he's turned off a bunch of people by proving that he'll do anything to win (The Carson thing in Iowa, blaming siding with the left over Trump, ect). The establishment is trying to walk a fine line of tacitly endorsing Cruz while also trying to keep it to a bare minimum so that Cruz isn't viewed as a sellout.

I really don't think the brokered convention thing is gonna happen. The GOP establishment is stupid but not stupid enough to think that would blow over well, and their owners (the money men) would for the most part rather deal with a Trump nomination than totally destroy the party infrastructure and any ability to win in the future by snatching the nomination away from the candidate their base voted for.

But anyway, Chicago level protests do nothing but bolster Trump. Idk what would stop him but that isn't it. Ordinary people are so sick of this
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:42:21 PM
At 3/20/2016 10:40:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/20/2016 10:33:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:

It's pretty obvious, Soros and Moveon are part of the Hillarymachine, not Sanders.

Do you think a silent protest would actually accomplish anything, though?
- lamerde

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 10:58:28 PM
At 3/20/2016 10:50:28 PM, Maikuru wrote:
More violence at a Trump rally.

http://www.nbcnews.com...

More trespassing at a private event....Free speech does not mean free venue, those rallies are expensive.

Party crashing is just ridiculous and rude.
stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 11:53:25 PM

The Germans didn't protest Hitler's rise to power and the result of that is pretty well known. And, remember, that's recent history. Not even a century has passed since the rise of Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito, and Stalin. There are still many dictators around the world and to just laugh it off and pretend like it could never happen in America is utterly stupid. I personally think Trump's all bark and no bite. But it's also stupid to think that we should just take our chances with him and see what happens. Because once he's elected, he's the Commander-in-Chief. If he wants to institute marshal law in the US, he can do that. And nobody can stop him. He can order a nuclear strike off the coast of say North Korea to scare them off and show them who's boss. That would ire our allies. It won't look any good. There was a poll done asking people around the world which country is the biggest threat to world peace. The United States comes out on top. The US has actually done more harm than good in terms of foreign policy across many regions of the world, and is perhaps a much more oppressive force than some of these regimes in African and Middle-Eastern countries. Only, the media rarely reports on it because when did the media ever report the truth?

Is protesting Trump doing more harm than good? I don't think so. It's making his supporters angry which is actually amusing, except of course when they threaten violence and even death on protesters. Trump supporters are not that different from ISIS, in that regard. It's either submit to our ways or we will threaten you with violence and even death. There have been numerous cases now of violence towards immigrants and Muslims outside of a Trump rally by Trump supporters. Somebody sent a pig's head to a mosque if I remember correctly. These are pretty well documented incidents. Even if Trump is not really a fascist at heart, which I don't believe he is, he has awoken a hateful and violent mentality the likes of which we haven't seen for many decades. And if it isn't nipped in the bud, this could escalate to something akin to the Civil War.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 12:03:17 AM
At 3/20/2016 11:53:25 PM, stealspell wrote:
And if it isn't nipped in the bud, this could escalate to something akin to the Civil War.

Lol, you need to go nip a few buds and smoke em. 1st Amendment isn't going anywhere, and if a person pays for an event, you shouldn't be able to nip his buds either. Or get buddy buddy with his nips.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:14:10 AM

It makes me like him more. While Progressives scream bigotry, hate, racism, intollerance, and freedom of speech, we see them for what they really are: bigots that hate, are racist, intollerant, blocked his and Bernie's freedom of speech, and are dangerous full blown hypocrites hellbent on destroying America from within.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:17:44 AM
And besides, if they are going to conduct riots and violent protests, they should at least have an answer when asked what they are protesting. Attempts to block Bernie and Trump from speaking has made the normal, sane, patriotic Americans unite together to face down these Communist, Fascist, Nazis.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 5:42:06 AM

The time to stop Trump passed a while ago. The left was so busy making utterly moronic Hitler comparisons and laughing at Trump that his momentum has become unstoppable. When you look at masters of political manipulation, Gandhi was at the top of the list, and Trump has definitely pulled a few pages out of his playbook:

"Let us however examine the adjectives used by His Excellency to kill the movement by laughing at it. It is 'futile,' 'ill-advised,' 'intrinsically insane,' 'unpractical,' 'visionary.' He has rounded off the adjectives by describing the movement as 'most foolish of all foolish schemes.' His Excellency has become so impatient of it that he has used all his vocabulary for showing the magnitude of the ridiculous nature of non-co-operation.

Unfortunately for His Excellency the movement is likely to grow with ridicule as it is certain to flourish on repression. No vital movement can be killed except by the impatience, ignorance or laziness of its authors. A movement cannot be 'insane' that is conducted by men of action as I claim the members of the Non-co-operation Committee are. It is hardly 'unpractical,' seeing that if the people respond, every one admits that it will achieve the end. At the same time it is perfectly true that if there is no response from the people, the movement will be popularly described as 'visionary.' It is for the nation to return an effective answer by organized non-co-operation and change ridicule into respect. Ridicule is like repression. Both give place to respect when they fail to produce the intended effect."
- Ridicule Replacing Repression, Mahatma Gandhi -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 5:54:52 AM

What the hell, when did he insult veterans? One of the policy positions on his website is specifically detailing VA reform. https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

I'm not saying there's no way he couldn't have, but it seems extremely counter-intuitive, and I definitely doubt the legitimacy of that claim.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 6:23:28 AM
At 3/21/2016 5:54:52 AM, Torton wrote:

What the hell, when did he insult veterans? One of the policy positions on his website is specifically detailing VA reform. https://www.donaldjtrump.com...

I'm not saying there's no way he couldn't have, but it seems extremely counter-intuitive, and I definitely doubt the legitimacy of that claim.

I don't know if this is what Sanders was talking about, but Trump's comments about McCain drew huge ire.

http://www.usatoday.com...
- lamerde

stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 12:44:14 PM
At 3/21/2016 12:03:17 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/20/2016 11:53:25 PM, stealspell wrote:
And if it isn't nipped in the bud, this could escalate to something akin to the Civil War.

Lol, you need to go nip a few buds and smoke em. 1st Amendment isn't going anywhere, and if a person pays for an event, you shouldn't be able to nip his buds either. Or get buddy buddy with his nips.

You have to pay to see Trump? Wow. People are really getting ripped off.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:52:38 PM

Are there really Trump supporters? Trump is kind of like a surgeon, or a cop - I'm not sure how many people love him, but there's a whole bunch of people who think America has gone off the rails and Trump is the only guy willing to even try to set her back upright again. And a key ingredient of that is being willing to ignore the squawking of those who need to be ignored, which includes the professional protest class.

So, in that sense, the protests help him. They remind America of how badly public education has failed this generation, and they demonstrate that he's not intimidated by a bunch of kids (of whatever age).
This space for rent.