Jump to topic:

Trump DOMINATES new polls

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:44:28 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I was waiting a bit to post this to see if the first poll to show this trend was an outlier. It wasn't. He Who Cannot Be Stumped has officially broken into the mid-40's in a three man field. Rasmussen has Trump at 43 nationally, ABC/NYT at 46, and CNN at 47. Trumps RCP average has never been higher and has reached 40% for the first time.

Looks like the theory about Trump picking up no support as his rivals drop out was wrong and The Donald reigns supreme. Republican voters also overwhelmingly believe that Trump will be their nominee, oppose a contested convention, and support giving the nomination to whoever got the most votes if the convention was contested. Clearly they're starting to see Trumps rivals for what they are at this point: desperate.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:48:36 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:44:28 AM, thett3 wrote:
I was waiting a bit to post this to see if the first poll to show this trend was an outlier. It wasn't. He Who Cannot Be Stumped has officially broken into the mid-40's in a three man field. Rasmussen has Trump at 43 nationally, ABC/NYT at 46, and CNN at 47. Trumps RCP average has never been higher and has reached 40% for the first time.

Looks like the theory about Trump picking up no support as his rivals drop out was wrong and The Donald reigns supreme. Republican voters also overwhelmingly believe that Trump will be their nominee, oppose a contested convention, and support giving the nomination to whoever got the most votes if the convention was contested. Clearly they're starting to see Trumps rivals for what they are at this point: desperate.

I thought Trump's nomination was a foregone conclusion. What's so exciting about this? If you want to see polls that are actually exciting... http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:51:12 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:48:36 AM, 000ike wrote:

I thought Trump's nomination was a foregone conclusion. What's so exciting about this?

You'd be surprised how many people are deluding themselves

If you want to see polls that are actually exciting... http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 12:52:18 AM

I thought Trump's nomination was a foregone conclusion.

Pretty sure this thread is primarily aimed at TN05 and Lannan13 (the only people on the site who still seriously believe Trump won't win).
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:05:30 AM

Looks like the theory about Trump picking up no support as his rivals drop out was wrong and The Donald reigns supreme. Republican voters also overwhelmingly believe that Trump will be their nominee

<50% counts as 'overwhelming' now?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:08:12 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:05:30 AM, imabench wrote:

Looks like the theory about Trump picking up no support as his rivals drop out was wrong and The Donald reigns supreme. Republican voters also overwhelmingly believe that Trump will be their nominee

+1
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:09:53 AM
At 3/22/2016 12:51:12 AM, thett3 wrote:

I thought Trump's nomination was a foregone conclusion. What's so exciting about this?

You'd be surprised how many people are deluding themselves

lol its not entirely their fault. CNN would have you believe that a non-trump nomination coming out of a contested convention is actually plausible .... with the amount of time they've spent talking about it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:12:01 AM

It is when the Republican party is on death's door.

Hell, half the reason I MAGA'd is because it will kill off the GOP. There is no fvcking way the GOP can win this election without Trump.
Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message

It is when the Republican party is on death's door.

Hell, half the reason I MAGA'd is because it will kill off the GOP. There is no fvcking way the GOP can win this election without Trump.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message

No, <50% support him, but I imagine much more believe he's all but secured the nomination.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:15:36 AM

What do you think Cruz does if Trump doesn't pick up enough delegates to win on a single ballot?

Do you think GOP leadership will heed poll numbers from the electorate or try a contested convention?

My understanding is that there aren't any clear guidelines for what happens if it goes past the first ballot, is there even anyone capable of making sure Trump gets the nom?

I guess my question is just what do these polls (assuming they reflect the will of the GOP voters) actually mean if Trump can't lock it down.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:17:43 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:15:36 AM, Raisor wrote:

What do you think Cruz does if Trump doesn't pick up enough delegates to win on a single ballot?

The GOP establishment will do something stupid.

Do you think GOP leadership will heed poll numbers from the electorate or try a contested convention?

They will give it to Cruz or Kasich.

My understanding is that there aren't any clear guidelines for what happens if it goes past the first ballot, is there even anyone capable of making sure Trump gets the nom?

Any of the eligible candidates could get it, under current law and party regulations; but none other than them. So, Paul Ryan couldn't sweep in and get the nomination, but Kasich or Cruz could, as well as Trump.

I guess my question is just what do these polls (assuming they reflect the will of the GOP voters) actually mean if Trump can't lock it down.

The polls show the extent of Trump's popular support.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:28:40 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:17:43 AM, YYW wrote:

Any of the eligible candidates could get it, under current law and party regulations; but none other than them. So, Paul Ryan couldn't sweep in and get the nomination, but Kasich or Cruz could, as well as Trump.

Ok....so what is the political mechanism by which any of this happens?

Like, first ballot is a plurality. Second ballot, what stops Trump's delegates from bolting?

Who is this "establishment?"

I don't see a coherent center to the GOP able to corral votes. So my question is what actually happens if Trump doesn't lock it down.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:32:09 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:28:40 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/22/2016 1:17:43 AM, YYW wrote:

Ok....so what is the political mechanism by which any of this happens?

Basically what happens is this:

If Trump doesn't reach the magic number, then any one of Trump, Kasich or Cruz could take it.

Like, first ballot is a plurality. Second ballot, what stops Trump's delegates from bolting?

Well, Trump's delegates may not necessarily vote for Trump on the second ballot.

Who is this "establishment?"

The Romneys, Bushes, etc. of this world.

I don't see a coherent center to the GOP able to corral votes. So my question is what actually happens if Trump doesn't lock it down.

You're right that there isn't a coherent center, but that doesn't mean that deals won't be made. Most people are going to be afraid to bet against the House (read: establishment), so that's how Trump loses to Cruz or Kasich.

So, then Trump runs as a third party and destroys the Republican party forever.

tehehe
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:44:44 AM

Trump will win the majority of delegates. And on the totally off chance that he doesn't he'll be close enough that he can poach from the unpledged delegates that were elected to shore up his numbers. He isn't going to need anything from Cruz, but in Cruz's fantasy world I'm not sure what he wants to happen. I don't think he's very interested in the VP slot

They'll heed the will of the people. They don't even have the spine to stand up to Obama and they think they can stand up to Trump and the vast majority of their base which believes that Trump won fair and square? Please.

But more importantly, remember that these aren't people with agency, they're puppets who swore fealty to their masters before ever entering congress. Their owners are not nearly as anti-Trump right now as their puppets are--this can be seen by the lack of funding for anti-Trump superpacs. They've usually been funded by a tiny handful of donors. The moneymen are waiting to see if they can do business with Trump and if they can't they'd prefer to just deal with a Trump nomination and live to fight another day than to *totally* destroy the party by snubbing the base.

This idea of running someone like Paul Ryan is a total fantasy, but if they ever did that I'd be voting straight ticket democratic along with tens of millions of right wingers.

Trump will have the majority of delegates on the first ballot.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:55:52 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:53:40 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Don't see why I'm supposed to be impressed by these numbers...

Those numbers are branded into my skin, I am impressed.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:59:03 AM

You don't see how a 20 point lead is impressive? Okay....

His lead right now in national polls is larger than Hillary Clintons lead.

Hey Dylan, when are you going to stop counter signaling against Trump and jump on the bandwagon? Come home, Dylan
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 1:59:57 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:59:03 AM, thett3 wrote:

Hey Dylan, when are you going to stop counter signaling against Trump and jump on the bandwagon? Come home, Dylan

He is holding out for a surprise assassination.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:02:53 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:44:44 AM, thett3 wrote:

Trump will win the majority of delegates.

I think this is probably the most likely outcome, it definitely isn't certain.

And on the totally off chance that he doesn't he'll be close enough that he can poach from the unpledged delegates that were elected to shore up his numbers. He isn't going to need anything from Cruz, but in Cruz's fantasy world I'm not sure what he wants to happen. I don't think he's very interested in the VP slot

I don't get how Trump poaches anything. Trump isn't known for having an organized campaign, most of his apparatus will have to be on loan from the GOP if he gets the general. So how does this translate into gathering delegates in a contested convention?

I don't think Cruz would want the VP slot, not to Trump.

They'll heed the will of the people. They don't even have the spine to stand up to Obama and they think they can stand up to Trump and the vast majority of their base which believes that Trump won fair and square? Please.

Eh, I disagree with your assessment of GOP combativeness- they shut down the government and are doing whatever this Supreme Court gambit is.

Cruz certainly isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and he is a smart guy- he would fight tooth and nail for a contested convention.

But more importantly, remember that these aren't people with agency, they're puppets who swore fealty to their masters before ever entering congress.

Mmmm...I think this is a caricature.

And there are a lot in the GOP leadership that think Trump is ruining their brand. The strategy going into this year was a rapprochement with minority voters; Trump blew this up and there are still a lot of people who think he will do long term damage to the party. It is in the political self interest of these people to avoid Trump being the face of the party.

Their owners are not nearly as anti-Trump right now as their puppets are--this can be seen by the lack of funding for anti-Trump superpacs. They've usually been funded by a tiny handful of donors. The moneymen are waiting to see if they can do business with Trump and if they can't they'd prefer to just deal with a Trump nomination and live to fight another day than to *totally* destroy the party by snubbing the base.

I don't at all doubt that there are plenty of GOP funders who don't give two sh*ts who wins, as long as they get a seat at the table lol.

This idea of running someone like Paul Ryan is a total fantasy, but if they ever did that I'd be voting straight ticket democratic along with tens of millions of right wingers.

Really? Whats the beef with Paul Ryan?

He'd be a fool to take the nomination though, and I think he is a smart politician.

Trump will have the majority of delegates on the first ballot.

I'm not so sure...tomorrow will be an important day for Trump. I haven't read any polls, but I'd imagine he is ahead in AZ and behind in Utah.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:03:14 AM

What do you mean by "counter signaling"?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:03:59 AM
At 3/22/2016 1:55:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:06:15 AM

It pretty much just means that Trump will end up with the most delegates. So what. It doesn't mean he will get a majority, nor does it have any relevance to the general election.

As soon as Trump stops being a divisive, vacuous clown, so probably never. Sorry.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:12:40 AM
At 3/22/2016 2:03:59 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 3/22/2016 1:55:52 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

http://www.yourepeat.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:16:53 AM
At 3/22/2016 2:06:15 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

It pretty much just means that Trump will end up with the most delegates. So what. It doesn't mean he will get a majority, nor does it have any relevance to the general election.

As soon as Trump stops being a divisive, vacuous clown, so probably never. Sorry.

One of us... one of us... one of us...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:17:35 AM
At 3/22/2016 2:16:53 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 3/22/2016 2:06:15 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

One of us... one of us... one of us...

It will only sting at first.....
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:25:33 AM
I don't understand the hoopla about a convention. The current republican rules require a candidate to win majority vote for 8+ states. Trump is the only one that qualifies right now. Not even Cruz would be considered right now (Rule 40).
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:30:16 AM

+/- 3% so Trump's 47 could equal 50% and Clinton's 51% could equal 48%. I'd say that's worth noting. Especially considering the massive media war that's been ongoing. He hasn't even started campaigning against the Dems yet either.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 2:41:25 AM
At 3/22/2016 2:25:33 AM, vortex86 wrote:
I don't understand the hoopla about a convention. The current republican rules require a candidate to win majority vote for 8+ states. Trump is the only one that qualifies right now. Not even Cruz would be considered right now (Rule 40).

Nah the rule was drafted to protect Romney, it was always intended to be temporary and can easily be changed in the weeks before the convention. RNC insiders are already planning on changing it.

http://frontloading.blogspot.com...

The floor was 5 in 2008, then it was upped in 2012. It wouldn't even be out of the ordinary politics to change it- the rule literally exists to give party leadership greater control of the outcome of the convention.