Jump to topic:

Political labelling

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 7:44:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I grew up in a very politically neutral family. We the kids were taught that they needed to get involved, but weren't really taught anything with regard to economics, policy, world events, etc... Just expected to go out and learn, and come back with questions when we had them.After I entered the real world I learned, that their are all sorts of people who use terms like conservative and liberal, extremely liberally. I can see the reason for

having such terms for quick classification , but I've seen people get angry, or biased just by hearing one term or the other, without taking account whether it has the possibility of being good or not.

I consider myself above both terms. I just am who I am, and I probably have a little of both in me. I have grown to detest the terms equally, because I feel they are constantly stereotyping people and making others choose sides before they even start to hear something.

Any thoughts?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:03:11 PM
At 3/22/2016 7:44:32 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
I grew up in a very politically neutral family. We the kids were taught that they needed to get involved, but weren't really taught anything with regard to economics, policy, world events, etc... Just expected to go out and learn, and come back with questions when we had them.After I entered the real world I learned, that their are all sorts of people who use terms like conservative and liberal, extremely liberally. I can see the reason for

having such terms for quick classification , but I've seen people get angry, or biased just by hearing one term or the other, without taking account whether it has the possibility of being good or not.

I consider myself above both terms. I just am who I am, and I probably have a little of both in me. I have grown to detest the terms equally, because I feel they are constantly stereotyping people and making others choose sides before they even start to hear something.

Any thoughts?

"Conservative" and "liberal" are only ways to describe your beliefs. The terms themselves have never caused any problems in my experience.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2016 10:21:57 PM

Any thoughts?

I agree with Bob. Being liberal or conservative doesn't define your beliefs, your beliefs define whether you are liberal or conservative. So based on your already pre-existing beliefs, you choose the ideology that most aligns with those
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:43:58 PM

Any thoughts?

You're a Moderate like me.

I don't condemn homosexuals, am not anti abortion fully, but am pro gun, and anti-immigration until ISIS is an afterthought.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:22:46 PM
At 3/23/2016 8:43:58 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Any thoughts?

I don't condemn homosexuals, am not anti abortion fully, but am pro gun, and anti-immigration until ISIS is an afterthought.

I think we could all agree that most people lie in the fuzzy mix of right and left wing. What's the point of having a left and a right if most people don't care to begin with? What I mean is, 1 liberal idea is not chained to them all. Everyone is unique.

What's the use of saying someone leans right or left? That tells me nothing if you don't tell me what is causing the lean, at which point the label of conservative or liberal is pointless, since the person usually isn't conservative, or liberal.

So if its pointless, then what's the point? If a person is republican, then they hold the values that they have in common with the republican party with more weight then the ones they have in common with the democratic party, but until you actually study their values, you don't get to know anyway since they very well may hold the 1 republican thing you agree with to high esteem. The party tells you nothing about the person. The label "leans right" tells you nothing yet its used all the time. What good does it bring? The mythical purebred liberal/conservative has always been an endangered species in politics, so why do we act like its prevalent?

I really don't think we should be using terms like conservative or liberal unless its in the context of registering for a defined position like a political party. Anything else and you are up to no good, just creating bias in the key aspect of a democratic society. People shouldn't be saying "those liberals", because those liberals often consists of only a few liberals, and a bunch of guys that have some things in common with liberals.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:42:38 PM
At 3/24/2016 3:22:46 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 3/23/2016 8:43:58 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Any thoughts?

I think we could all agree that most people lie in the fuzzy mix of right and left wing. What's the point of having a left and a right if most people don't care to begin with? What I mean is, 1 liberal idea is not chained to them all. Everyone is unique.

What's the use of saying someone leans right or left? That tells me nothing if you don't tell me what is causing the lean, at which point the label of conservative or liberal is pointless, since the person usually isn't conservative, or liberal.

So if its pointless, then what's the point? If a person is republican, then they hold the values that they have in common with the republican party with more weight then the ones they have in common with the democratic party, but until you actually study their values, you don't get to know anyway since they very well may hold the 1 republican thing you agree with to high esteem. The party tells you nothing about the person. The label "leans right" tells you nothing yet its used all the time. What good does it bring? The mythical purebred liberal/conservative has always been an endangered species in politics, so why do we act like its prevalent?

I really don't think we should be using terms like conservative or liberal unless its in the context of registering for a defined position like a political party. Anything else and you are up to no good, just creating bias in the key aspect of a democratic society. People shouldn't be saying "those liberals", because those liberals often consists of only a few liberals, and a bunch of guys that have some things in common with liberals.

Most people I've observed on this forum "lean" left or right, usually quite dramatically.

I can usually pick out their beliefs by only seeing one of them.

Anti homosexuality? Then they are pro conservative, pro gun, anti-abortion, anti-refugees coming into the U.S., want strong borders, and hate Obama and Hillary.

If they are pro abortion? They are pro refugees coming in, want no strong borders, are pro homosexual rights, and hate Trump.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...