Total Posts:48|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The Myth that We've Outgrown Racism

charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 1:21:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Myth that Racial and Social Injustice Are Not Built Into Our System
Part One

Nowadays people who don't identify as or with the victims of inequality, discrimination, classism, and racism frequently seem to buy into the naïve-making myths that there's no such thing as "class" in our splendid society, that serious and systemic racial discrimination is a thing of the past, and that we live in a land of equal opportunity and a meritocracy where anyone of any socio-economic or ethnic background can get ahead by working hard. Supposedly everyone who's failing in our system has only himself to blame, and when people criticize the system they're just trying to shift blame away from themselves, and/or being whiny.

Why do so many people delude themselves into thinking all of the above, into believing such a crock of propaganda, into not realizing their own victimization in our society's unjust status quo? In other words, why are many of us in denial about realities such as economic inequality and racism? When a black person complains that racism is still alive and making the soul of our society sick why is the reflexive response of so many whites to balk at or pooh-pooh the very idea? Etc.

Of course there are various answers to this question, and they aren't mutually exclusive, rather they all dovetail together. Firstly, there are psychological reasons. We don't really feel good about being victims, it doesn't exactly make us feel competent or empowered to view ourselves as victims of anything, including our system, so we prefer to deny that we are and we deny that any fundamental inequality is inherent in our system.

What's more, we disidentify with even the most obvious victims of the economy, with the unemployed, the working poor, the uninsured, the homeless. We refuse to see ourselves as being in the same pathetic boat as such people, we tell ourselves that under our system everyone is the captain of his own ship and has no one else to blame for being a loser. This gives us the feel-good sense of not being a loser ourselves, even if we're not exactly raving success stories.

All our denial and disidentification places our system up on a pedestal above criticism and reproach, we come to think of it as an ideal system (or as as close to being ideal as humanly possible), all of its evils we attribute to individuals. This is rather like the little dodge that Christians pull when confronted with the evils in the history of Christianity, they maintain that "real" Christianity is an ideal faith, it was just individuals who weren't "real" Christians who perpetrated atrocities in its name. Yes, we resort to the same cop-out when we claim that our system is just fine, that it's just individuals who don't want to work who end up filling out the ranks of the welfare dependent and homeless.

Then of course there's also the psychological payoff that not only does disidentifying with the system's victims prevent us from feeling bad about our own less than stellar lot, it also allows us to feel a little superior to the less fortunate. That is, we obtain a nice ego boost from opining that blacks and poor people are just malcontents and complainers who need to get up off their duffs and get to work. We raise our own self-esteem by holding those people who bear the brunt of society's injustices in low regard. And we take this to the extreme of denying that there even are any inherent injustices in our form of society.

Of course in addition to psychological factors there are also sociological reasons why we unconsciously choose to live in self-defeating denial about the existence of inequality and other blemishes on our system. In a word, our sense of patriotism is exploited and manipulated by the system to discourage us from being too harshly critical of it.

If you're a fellow dissident you know what I'm talking about. Anyone who feels strongly that the system is deeply flawed from a social justice point of view and comes on strong with criticism of it has had the experience of being personally attacked and accused by a patriotic partner in conversation of not loving his country. We've been programmed to think that being patriotic is a matter of loving our country's socio-economic power structure, and so out of a misguided notion of patriotism we support and defend a system that victimizes the majority of its population, and when we encounter a critic of the system we try to silence him/her with a "love it or leave it" response.

I could go on here about how the public school system and the mass media collude to condition our thinking, to condition us to believe that our system is just hunky-dory, I could make my case that we're all the subjects of societal brainwashing on a scale so large that we don't recognize it as brainwashing (when it's mainstream society that's brainwashing you and you have nothing to compare with then it's kind of hard to recognize that you've been brainwashed!), but I've spent enough time on why we swallow the whopper of a big lie that inequality and racism don't exist in any significant way under our system, I'll move on now to some obvious examples of the fact that they do.

To start with how about the ghetto, unless you're one of those whites who think that blacks have it made these days because of affirmative action (which has actually largely been abolished), the existence of communities in the urban centers of our big cities where a dark-skinned underclass is locked into conditions of poverty, forsaken from educational and employment opportunities, and reduced to making ends meet with drug dealing and food stamps should have you at least thinking twice about the justness of our system.

Of course the conservative defenders of the capitalist system have their cop-out that turns the tables on the left, they blame welfare programs for perpetuating black people in poverty. According to the cynical thinking of conservatives blacks and even human beings in general are naturally inclined to be lazy bums and if you provide them with welfare they're never going to pull themselves up out of poverty to become productive citizens. And with this facile argument conservatives gloss over the reality of unemployment and discrimination that makes it difficult for many minorities and poor whites to choose being gainfully employed over being on the welfare rolls.

In fact it's the economic realities of our system, and for black & Hispanics the reality of racism to boot, that place people in a position where they resort to welfare. In a system truly geared to employ everyone welfare would be an option that few would fall back on. I know this is hard to believe for staunch and skeptical conservatives but then when it comes to the truth of life under capitalism conservatives are about as realistic as Holocaust deniers!

The conclusion is located directly below
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 1:23:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Myth that Racial and Social Injustice Are Not Built Into Our System
Part Two (Conclusion)

No, the existence and conditions of the ghetto do not indict the people who live there as failures in life, they indict our society as a failure in terms of our highest values. They indict and help convict our society on the charge of harboring unfair class and race-based disparities.

Then of course there are the places we, as a society, transfer a sizable portion of the pesky population of the ghetto to, prison. The strikingly disproportionate representation of minorities in penal facilities speaks volumes about racial justice in our society.

Sadly it's not hyperbole to say that prisons are the dehumanizing warehouses of the underclass and underdogs bred by our society's deeply unjust socio-economic status quo. Our society's prisons are how its haves who get something out of the capitalist system manage the have-nots who just receive the crumbs of capitalist prosperity. I.e., prisons are our concentration camps for those members of society who've been socialized to violence and crime by the negative environment in their communities that's generated by the poverty imposed by the system. Capitalism subjects people to conditions that make them more likely to steal, deal drugs, or whatnot, and then it whisks them off to prison where they're out of sight and mind, allowing us to continue in the pleasant illusion that ours is a socially functional society with just a few bad apples here and there.

Prisons allow our society to carry on without really addressing the underlying causes of crime and social dysfunction. Instead of taking a hard and honest look at factors such as inequality and racism we just lock up those who find that they can't make it by "playing by the rules", those people who are walking symptoms of the built-in unfairness of our system. In the 1800s we had reservations where aboriginal people were confined to languish (actually such places still exist, not all Indians are getting rich from casino money), today we use prisons as reservations for our black and economically distressed citizens when we can find an excuse.

If prisons are any indication at all of how progressive we are on issues of race and justice then we have a heck of a long way to go before we're actually living in the kind of racially rosy society that some of believe we already have.

Capitalism is unjust to the core, just as American society is still racist to the bone. You can optimistically deny this if it makes you feel better about your society and about your own life, but when it comes to social justice those who choose to remain in denial choose to be a part of the problem, by default, rather than a heroic part of the solution.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 1:51:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 1:31:45 PM, Koopin wrote:
More importantly, the dumb jets are gonna beat the browns... BOO

Marginalize my critique of the power structure with a non sequitur frivolous reply, clever there! You're a well-programmed conservative guardian of the system's rep.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 2:20:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 1:51:14 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/14/2010 1:31:45 PM, Koopin wrote:
More importantly, the dumb jets are gonna beat the browns... BOO

Marginalize my critique of the power structure with a non sequitur frivolous reply, clever there! You're a well-programmed conservative guardian of the system's rep.

As a writer, I can tell you that your repeated attempts to garner attention for your philosophical excerpts are pretentious at best. Although the discussions that sometimes ensure evidence that you may agree with many of my perspectives, I haven't read even one of these posts.

Truly, it seems naught but insincere. If you have something to say, just say it. These long excerpts are doing nothing for anyone or anything but your blog, and that's lame.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 2:44:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 2:20:32 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2010 1:51:14 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/14/2010 1:31:45 PM, Koopin wrote:
More importantly, the dumb jets are gonna beat the browns... BOO

Marginalize my critique of the power structure with a non sequitur frivolous reply, clever there! You're a well-programmed conservative guardian of the system's rep.

As a writer, I can tell you that your repeated attempts to garner attention for your philosophical excerpts are pretentious at best. Although the discussions that sometimes ensure evidence that you may agree with many of my perspectives, I haven't read even one of these posts.

Truly, it seems naught but insincere. If you have something to say, just say it. These long excerpts are doing nothing for anyone or anything but your blog, and that's lame.

agreed + Passionately
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 2:56:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why don't you just debate your viewpoints rather than posting a huge blog that is too long for the average person care about. Its long enough anyways for an opening debate. This is a debate site, not a place for you to advertise your blog.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:19:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:18:14 PM, mongeese wrote:
So, your entire argument that America hasn't outgrown racism... is the existence of the ghetto?

If that's his argument, then it's not a bad one.

But, by approaching his argument, you're ensuring that we'll be word-bombed again.

Thanks.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:31:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:18:14 PM, mongeese wrote:
So, your entire argument that America hasn't outgrown racism... is the existence of the ghetto?

Yes, because apparently all poverty and prison sentences are handed down to black people.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:44:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:18:14 PM, mongeese wrote:
So, your entire argument that America hasn't outgrown racism... is the existence of the ghetto?

I think that poverty per se is a pretty powerful marker of social injustice, and that the disproportionate number of people of color living in poverty is a sure sign of racism, and that the ghettoization of minorities is another sure sign of the racism endemic in our system of society. In other words, just look at the lot of many in our society who are economically distressed, and look at how many non-white citizens fill this category, and you have a de facto argument that there's something profoundly wrong with the picture of our system from a social justice point of view!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:47:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:19:29 PM, Ren wrote:

But, by approaching his argument, you're ensuring that we'll be word-bombed again.

Hmm, another person who thinks that a post that amounts to a couple of pages is tantamount to posting War and Peace!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:50:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:44:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
I think that poverty per se is a pretty powerful marker of social injustice, and that the disproportionate number of people of color living in poverty is a sure sign of racism, and that the ghettoization of minorities is another sure sign of the racism endemic in our system of society.

So what about the ghettoization of white people? If society perpetuates racism and directs all minorities towards it, why are white folks going the same way? Why are there minority executives at companies? Why does what you say have so many exceptions?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:51:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:44:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:18:14 PM, mongeese wrote:
So, your entire argument that America hasn't outgrown racism... is the existence of the ghetto?

I think that poverty per se is a pretty powerful marker of social injustice, and that the disproportionate number of people of color living in poverty is a sure sign of racism, and that the ghettoization of minorities is another sure sign of the racism endemic in our system of society. In other words, just look at the lot of many in our society who are economically distressed, and look at how many non-white citizens fill this category, and you have a de facto argument that there's something profoundly wrong with the picture of our system from a social justice point of view!

This is a very weak argument for a very strong point.

1. In a rich country, poverty does not need to exist. Poverty exists to ensure that inordinate wealth exists.

2. The fact is that there are more poor white people than any other demographic in this country. At least 70% of welfare at any given time are allocated to "whites." Furthermore, ghettos are not exclusive to one demographic. They are only associated with specific demographics.

3. Social programs were not necessary to help disseminate minorities into the American economy. They were necessary to ensure that the American economy did not fail due to inherent imbalances. Nonetheless, social programs are attacked because of a disinterest in helping minorities disseminate into this culture. For example, affirmative action. Given that this law has been in effect for years, yet we still do not see companies failing due to an underqualified workforce. What you do see is a bunch of white people complaining because they're literally assuming that it's impossible for minorities to be as qualified for white people for any given position, thus ensuring that underqualified people will be given positions unjustly.

4. There had better not be one more complaint about this guy posting his blog on this website, since we enable him every single time by giving him the time of day and posting a ridiculous number of responses to his posts, if only to complain.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:52:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:50:40 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:44:16 PM, charleslb wrote:
I think that poverty per se is a pretty powerful marker of social injustice, and that the disproportionate number of people of color living in poverty is a sure sign of racism, and that the ghettoization of minorities is another sure sign of the racism endemic in our system of society.

So what about the ghettoization of white people? If society perpetuates racism and directs all minorities towards it, why are white folks going the same way? Why are there minority executives at companies? Why does what you say have so many exceptions?

Sigh.

Alright, lets start with the "ghettoization of white people."

Explain what that is without any sort of comparison whatsoever.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:53:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:47:03 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:19:29 PM, Ren wrote:

But, by approaching his argument, you're ensuring that we'll be word-bombed again.

Hmm, another person who thinks that a post that amounts to a couple of pages is tantamount to posting War and Peace!

No, I think that you're a self-aggrandizing anus who believes that people should really take ten minutes out of their day to read these long-winded theses about strong points with weak arguments.

Anyway, given that you're always posting in the political forum, what you say usually is tantamount to war and peace.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:56:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:52:24 PM, Ren wrote:
Sigh.

Alright, lets start with the "ghettoization of white people."

Explain what that is without any sort of comparison whatsoever.

How do you describe something without comparing it to other things that help formulate general ideas about what it is?

And if you didn't get the hint, I was using the term sarcastically.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 3:56:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Who here lives in a ghetto?

Me.

I feel legitimately sorry for people who are dieing of thirst in third world countries... the indian kids who work their butts off and never get a chance because of immigration restriction.

I feel only hate and anger at the poor I am surrounded with. They're pathetic in every way possible.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:10:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:56:55 PM, Sieben wrote:
Who here lives in a ghetto?

Me.

I feel legitimately sorry for people who are dieing of thirst in third world countries... the indian kids who work their butts off and never get a chance because of immigration restriction.

I feel only hate and anger at the poor I am surrounded with. They're pathetic in every way possible.

Self-hatred is usually where it begins, indeed.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:14:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Thanks dad! Can you tell me how my hatred of the American poor and not the really disadvantaged reveals an ulterior insecurity with myself?
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:14:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 3:56:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:52:24 PM, Ren wrote:
Sigh.

Alright, lets start with the "ghettoization of white people."

Explain what that is without any sort of comparison whatsoever.

How do you describe something without comparing it to other things that help formulate general ideas about what it is?

Q: What is a chair?
A: It is an object made from a firm substance, potentially accompanied by a cushion, for the purpose of sitting with your legs dangling from one side.

^^^ Zero comparison.

And if you didn't get the hint, I was using the term sarcastically.

sar·casm   
[sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
1.
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Irony is stating the opposite of what you mean to mock someone. Thus, given that you said:

So what about the ghettoization of white people? If society perpetuates racism and directs all minorities towards it, why are white folks going the same way? Why are there minority executives at companies? Why does what you say have so many exceptions?

You do not feel that minorities are being "ghettoized," you do not feel that white people are going the same way, you do not feel that there are any minority executives, and you do not feel that there are any exceptions.

In other words, that you agree and you're just being a pretentious anus.

Well, that's basically what I was accusing you of, anyway, but I was instead being facetious.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:15:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:14:20 PM, Sieben wrote:
Thanks dad! Can you tell me how my hatred of the American poor and not the really disadvantaged reveals an ulterior insecurity with myself?

Because you just said that you're poor and your profile says that you're American.

I know I'm kind of sexy, but only girls get to call me Daddy.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:18:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:15:20 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2010 4:14:20 PM, Sieben wrote:
Thanks dad! Can you tell me how my hatred of the American poor and not the really disadvantaged reveals an ulterior insecurity with myself?

Because you just said that you're poor and your profile says that you're American.

First, I don't consider myself poor. I consider myself pretty wealthy because I can buy basically everything I want. The things I don't have are immaterial (or downloadable).

Second, there's an emotional split between American poor and the third world poor... so that would defeat the thesis that I just hate poor people/secretly hate myself for being poor.

I know I'm kind of sexy, but only girls get to call me Daddy.
Aww... and here I was hoping you could send me videos of you bench pressing 135 lbs :(
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:34:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:18:27 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 11/14/2010 4:15:20 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2010 4:14:20 PM, Sieben wrote:
Thanks dad! Can you tell me how my hatred of the American poor and not the really disadvantaged reveals an ulterior insecurity with myself?

Because you just said that you're poor and your profile says that you're American.

First, I don't consider myself poor. I consider myself pretty wealthy because I can buy basically everything I want. The things I don't have are immaterial (or downloadable).

You want to live among people you hate?

What does "I can buy basically anything I want" mean? You literally want for nothing in the world? That, sir, is a lie. I know I can't prove it, but it's still as much a lie as someone claiming that he or she never defecates.

Second, there's an emotional split between American poor and the third world poor... so that would defeat the thesis that I just hate poor people/secretly hate myself for being poor.

1. The minorities that you likely consider poor in this country have an origin in Third World countries.

2. What I stated wasn't a "thesis," it was a succinct observation.

3. If you hate the poor and you hate yourself, then you are poor. The Third World is irrelevant; you're an American.

I know I'm kind of sexy, but only girls get to call me Daddy.
Aww... and here I was hoping you could send me videos of you bench pressing 135 lbs :(

I know that was meant to be an underhanded insult, but of all the ways to be ironic about being a homosexual, I don't think that watching a man exercise would have been one of them, given that heterosexuals at the gym do it all the time.

Do we have another Jim Profit on our hands? It appears so!
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:36:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:34:40 PM, Ren wrote:
3. If you hate the poor and you hate yourself, then you are poor. The Third World is irrelevant; you're an American.

Oh, Lordie.

If you hate the poor and you're poor, then you hate yourself, rather.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:41:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:14:33 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:56:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
So what about the ghettoization of white people? If society perpetuates racism and directs all minorities towards it, why are white folks going the same way? Why are there minority executives at companies? Why does what you say have so many exceptions?

You do not feel that minorities are being "ghettoized," you do not feel that white people are going the same way, you do not feel that there are any minority executives, and you do not feel that there are any exceptions.

In other words, that you agree and you're just being a pretentious anus.

Well, that's basically what I was accusing you of, anyway, but I was instead being facetious.

That was the most brilliant counter-argument ever. Claiming that the other guy doesn't even believe his own statements. Why hasn't anybody ever used that before?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2010 4:43:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2010 4:41:01 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 11/14/2010 4:14:33 PM, Ren wrote:
At 11/14/2010 3:56:36 PM, Volkov wrote:
So what about the ghettoization of white people? If society perpetuates racism and directs all minorities towards it, why are white folks going the same way? Why are there minority executives at companies? Why does what you say have so many exceptions?

You do not feel that minorities are being "ghettoized," you do not feel that white people are going the same way, you do not feel that there are any minority executives, and you do not feel that there are any exceptions.

In other words, that you agree and you're just being a pretentious anus.

Well, that's basically what I was accusing you of, anyway, but I was instead being facetious.

That was the most brilliant counter-argument ever. Claiming that the other guy doesn't even believe his own statements. Why hasn't anybody ever used that before?

Way to quote me out of context--even to the extend of deleting what I said that contextualized it.

That's not something that every single person without an argument does on this site.

However, you did actually use irony correctly.

Isn't that ironic!

HA!