3/24/2016 3:00:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/24/2016 2:39:46 PM, YYW wrote:
I said it would happen. Now it is.

http://reason.com...

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

This is truly sad.
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:12:52 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com...

I think this is only going to hurt the college's reputation and enrollment numbers. I can't say I'm surprised considering our generation..
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:31:49 PM
The problem is as much Emory University, as the kinds of conditions that its faculty has either allowed or caused to come about. These ideas that people have a right to be free from speech the don't like, and especially political advocacy they disagree with, is repulsive.

Talk of micro-aggressions lays the "intellectual" (and I use that word loosely) foundation for censorship of all kinds, and, especially, political censorship. The days where controversial political ideas are rebutted are waning. We are moving towards a world where people will use the force of government to silence others.

To deny this is to deny reality.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:01:25 PM
At 3/24/2016 3:31:49 PM, YYW wrote:
The problem is as much Emory University, as the kinds of conditions that its faculty has either allowed or caused to come about. These ideas that people have a right to be free from speech the don't like, and especially political advocacy they disagree with, is repulsive.

Talk of micro-aggressions lays the "intellectual" (and I use that word loosely) foundation for censorship of all kinds, and, especially, political censorship. The days where controversial political ideas are rebutted are waning. We are moving towards a world where people will use the force of government to silence others.

Some people really need a few hard kicks in the stomach.
Seriously, this kind of stuff annoys me. People who get mad because of this really just need to shut up.

Now don't get me wrong. Racism is okay to get mad about, especially if it's directed towards you, but there's a fine line between actual racism and "Trump 2016 micro-aggression"

Also, what exactly is "micro-aggression"? What's the actual point of it? If stuff like that is considered "micro-aggression", and people are actually getting ruffled up about it, then what are they going to do when something actually and obviously racist happens?

If we are actually heading in this direction, then it's basically like a path to communism. It's impossible to attain. It's literally becoming F451. We cannot reach true communism, and we even had a "war against communism" once, and right now it looks like we're just walking towards it XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:04:43 PM
That's utterly idiotic. This is an excellent demonstration of why hate speech laws are a bad idea -- we cannot afford to have any sort of legal pathway to criminalizing speech on the basis of its emotional effects alone.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:05:48 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:01:25 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Seriously, this kind of stuff annoys me. People who get mad because of this really just need to shut up.

Now don't get me wrong. Racism is okay to get mad about, especially if it's directed towards you, but there's a fine line between actual racism and "Trump 2016 micro-aggression"

Also, what exactly is "micro-aggression"? What's the actual point of it? If stuff like that is considered "micro-aggression", and people are actually getting ruffled up about it, then what are they going to do when something actually and obviously racist happens?

If we are actually heading in this direction, then it's basically like a path to communism. It's impossible to attain. It's literally becoming F451. We cannot reach true communism, and we even had a "war against communism" once, and right now it looks like we're just walking towards it XP

A micro aggression is anything that ruffles the feathers of any non-white person.... essentially.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:08:09 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:05:48 PM, YYW wrote:

A micro aggression is anything that ruffles the feathers of any non-white person.... essentially.

Oh, great. Those people...
So basically, if I called a white person stupid, nothing. If I called a non-white person stupid, micro-aggression.

If a non-white person called someone stupid, big deal. If a white person called the same person stupid, micro-aggression.

Is that basically what they're saying?

I mean I'm all for equality and whatnot among race, but if we actually want that, then we need people to stop getting and ruffled up over the smallest of things, pointing out everything, and actually try to get along with everyone XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:08:45 PM

I think the worst part about this is that the media, the faculty, and sometimes even the parents encourage this behavior. It boggles my mind that people think sheltering someone from the real world and reality is a good idea. The real world is a not supposed to be a safe place. You're supposed to challenge yourself and be challenged by hard things.

I remember reading an article about how a guy went to a collage (I think Yale) and ask people to sign a petition. The petition said to get rid of the 1st Amendment and a lot of people signed it. I am pretty sure the guy who was giving the petition to the people didn't mean it but it has been a while. The point is that those people wanted to get rid of the 1st Amendment!

The more these people deny reality, the more likely they'll believe their own illusions.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:09:05 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:08:09 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/24/2016 4:05:48 PM, YYW wrote:

Oh, great. Those people...
So basically, if I called a white person stupid, nothing. If I called a non-white person stupid, micro-aggression.

If a non-white person called someone stupid, big deal. If a white person called the same person stupid, micro-aggression.

Is that basically what they're saying?

I mean I'm all for equality and whatnot among race, but if we actually want that, then we need people to stop getting and ruffled up over the smallest of things, pointing out everything, and actually try to get along with everyone XP

Yup. That's pretty much it.
Tsar of DDO
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:12:29 PM
"They did not do this merely to support the presidential candidate, but to promote the hate and discrimination that goes along with him. While some students only see the name of a potential nominee, others see hostility and venom which promises to destroy lives."

Wow, I guess these guys have magical mind-reading powers.
All SJWs seem to have powers like that, actually. Maybe we should listen to them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:44:52 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:12:29 PM, Romaniii wrote:
"They did not do this merely to support the presidential candidate, but to promote the hate and discrimination that goes along with him. While some students only see the name of a potential nominee, others see hostility and venom which promises to destroy lives."

All SJWs seem to have powers like that, actually. Maybe we should listen to them.

SJW's are killing DDO as it is, and they're going to invert this country and its values.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:54:27 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:44:52 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/24/2016 4:12:29 PM, Romaniii wrote:

SJW's are killing DDO as it is, and they're going to invert this country and its values.

"He's becoming an SJW, but he's not there yet. He's like an SJW minor. He's surrounded and influenced by his adult SJWs, but too young to drink their alcoholic privileges." -Me

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 5:01:04 PM
Private institutions such as Emory U are in a tricky position-- they are not bound by the US Constitution's protection of free speech, but they also claim to stand as protectors of the free exchange of ideas.

To put it bluntly, they are allowed to be somewhat contradictory on this. At the same time, they are not in a position to do whatever with impunity. For anyone who wants to see the issues at stake and viable solutions fleshed out over the course of 38 pages, I offer this report:

https://www.thefire.org...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 5:08:52 PM
At 3/24/2016 5:01:04 PM, Fly wrote:
Private institutions such as Emory U are in a tricky position-- they are not bound by the US Constitution's protection of free speech, but they also claim to stand as protectors of the free exchange of ideas.

To put it bluntly, they are allowed to be somewhat contradictory on this. At the same time, they are not in a position to do whatever with impunity. For anyone who wants to see the issues at stake and viable solutions fleshed out over the course of 38 pages, I offer this report:

https://www.thefire.org...

The issue here isn't the legality of what they did -- it's the fact that this sort of mindset actually exists, and is becoming more widespread, and could potentially start affecting what we're allowed to say in the public realm as well.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 6:57:38 PM
At 3/24/2016 4:08:45 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:

I think the worst part about this is that the media, the faculty, and sometimes even the parents encourage this behavior. It boggles my mind that people think sheltering someone from the real world and reality is a good idea. The real world is a not supposed to be a safe place. You're supposed to challenge yourself and be challenged by hard things.

I remember reading an article about how a guy went to a collage (I think Yale) and ask people to sign a petition. The petition said to get rid of the 1st Amendment and a lot of people signed it. I am pretty sure the guy who was giving the petition to the people didn't mean it but it has been a while. The point is that those people wanted to get rid of the 1st Amendment!

The more these people deny reality, the more likely they'll believe their own illusions.

Getting rid of the 1st Amendment. What will that do to help them? It's stupid that people would actually do that...

Moral of the story. Parents, don't be a helicopter parent...

nonwo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 7:30:18 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com... : :

They should have written Satanic messages instead. Then the students would have felt much safer.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 8:11:41 PM
If they were to ban endorsement of any candidate, it'd be fine. Otherwise...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 10:49:10 PM
Typical SJW point-and-shriek behavior. What will they be doing next year when someone goes around simply writing the name of the POTUS on the sidewalks? Where will the safe space for these people be when every inch of U.S. soil they stand on is part of President Trump's America? With any luck, they will hide in a basement for the next 8 years, or better yet, leave the country.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 3:55:36 AM
That is pathetic.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass