Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 12:55:39 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
RFD: Abortion Should Be Illegal

Famous v.s. NWC

http://www.debate.org...

Overall, it was a okay debate. Famous (Con) wins. I liked the arguments, but there was no defense. I was sad there was a forfeit also. Not that, the debate was okay, but Con wins entirely.

Conduct is equal, because of the new change of the structure. I might have gave Con the point, because Con was nice and waived a round when he did not need to. But, I will leave this as a tie. I might have also gave conduct for the forfeit, but then they agreed to not, so I will leave this to Con.

Con's arguments.

Con's framework is centered around libertarianism, which will be explained later.

Con proves a good case, giving scientific evidence that a fetus is not living, stating the 7 points, saying that a fetus has to follow all the points to be living. Con shows that it meets 2, which is a good case that says that the fetus is not living. Pro rebuts this by giving quotes of what people said that a fetus is alive, but does not touch or rebut the 7 categories Con showed, which was basically the main point. Argument dropped.

Con's next argument is Illegal Abortions. This also is a good argument. Con shows that early abortions don't hurt, but then, illegal abortions might hurt the mother, and the baby.

"13% of pregnancy-related deaths worldwide are related to complications of unsafe abortion."

Con says that this shows his case very well. Pro says that it is because of the fail to following the law. He says that public service announcements, strict penalties for illegal abortions, and education from parents and schools can do this. I don't get why schools can help this. Half of the point to Con because Pro did not fully rebut the argument.

Con's third argument is that Underage Teenagers. Con states that 19% of pregnancies happen, and 78% are not planned. He shows that the twenties is the most important life time for teens, and because of this, they won't even go to universities. Con also shows that they need 245,000 for a baby and those things, a typical house hold has about 54000. Con also shows that a teenager will have less money. Very good argument.

Con says that, "My opponent seems to completely ignore the fact that teenagers who get pregnant can always give their baby up for adoption. I don't think anything else needs to be said, considering most of his argument surrounded around the fact that kids are expensive to take care of."

This is basically abortion, except they aren't killing the child. Pro does not rebut about the teenagers further life. Argument is dropped.

Con's 4th argument is Gender Equality. Con shows that abortion can hurt the mother's life, showing sources. He also shows the premises

"P1: Denying women an abortion is gender inequality

P2: Gender inequality is a violation of human rights

C1: Abortion legalization stops gender inequality rights

C2: Abortions should be legalized"

Pro rebuts this argument by saying that what about men. That wasn't the point. The point of Con's arguments is that we need to look at the mother rights also. Pro fails to rebut or get the main point, the argument is dropped.

Con's last argument is Rape. Con shows that 14000 people get raped yearly, which is 1%. But because Con is a Libertarian, and follows liberty, those people are important. His framework alone is a good argument.

Pro does not even mention this argument, argument dropped again.

Conclusion

Con had very good arguments. All of them were unrefuted. Because of this you can vote for Con. Pro's arguments will come in the next post.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2016 1:09:24 PM
This will be much shorter, because of shorter arguments from Pro.

Pro's arguments

Ethics of Abortion

Pro says that abortion should be illegal because of 60% percent think so. Con rebuts this by saying that the debate is if it should be illegal not other thoughts, and also that the news article was from a pro abortion illegal person, making it bias. Con shows that 54% of the people think it is right that abortion should be illegal. The argument is refuted.

Fetuses Feel Pain During Abortion Procedures

Pro shows that fetus feels pain at 2 weeks. Okay argument.

Con rebuts this by saying that it was a old one

"The study my opponent presents here is an old one. Shortly after that study was released they were forced to revise the issue and ultimately they concluded that only at 24 weeks nerves for feeling pain begin to form and at 28 weeks (sometimes more) the fetus is able to actually detect and feel pain [2][3]. The definition of abortion (as stated in R1) specifically says that 28 weeks is the limit. This contention bares no weight as a consequence."

This shows that Pro's case is refuted, also if you look at the definitions.

The 14th Amendment

This is probably Pro's best argument. Pro shows that living need rights and liberty, and a fetus is alive (this is a bare assertion.) Con points that point out well. Con shows that he made a bare assertion of a fetus is living, when Con showed that a fetus is non-living, and says that because it is non-living, it does not follow the 14th amendment. Argument refuted.

Conclusion

On Con's side, I have fetus is not living, underage teenagers, gender equality, and rape. On Pro's side, I have nothing. Therefore, I vote Con.

Vote Con/ Vote from the Voter's Union.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 5:46:26 AM
Since I am not a woman, i dont think I have a right to determine whether it should or shouldnt be allowed
Meh!