Jump to topic:

Is Donald Trump Good at Negotiating?

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 2:04:32 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
One of Trump's main claims is that he can negotiate America to greatness. Personally he seems only mediocre at negotiating (maybe slightly above mediocre) to me. I was wondering if anyone believes that he can significantly improve America through negotiating, how he will do that, and why?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 3:04:29 AM
At 3/29/2016 2:04:32 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
One of Trump's main claims is that he can negotiate America to greatness. Personally he seems only mediocre at negotiating (maybe slightly above mediocre) to me. I was wondering if anyone believes that he can significantly improve America through negotiating, how he will do that, and why?

"Nobody wants to watch three-and-a-half or three hours ... and in about two minutes, I renegotiated it down to two hours so we can get the hell outta here," Trump said.

so far, so good...
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:04:59 PM

Well, in order for him to build a billion dollar business, he would have to make a good amount of good deals, and good deals require good negotiation, so I'll say yes
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 1:13:02 PM
At 3/29/2016 1:04:59 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

Well, in order for him to build a billion dollar business, he would have to make a good amount of good deals, and good deals require good negotiation, so I'll say yes

What. Business? Which one?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 2:16:17 PM
Presumably he has some fairly decent 'business' negotiating skills--but as regards politics I think it's quite the opposite.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 4:32:30 PM
At 3/29/2016 2:16:17 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Presumably he has some fairly decent 'business' negotiating skills--but as regards politics I think it's quite the opposite.

You might have a point because elected officials are not businessmen.

But Trump only needs to be able to speak their language, and so far so good (even for a rookie politician).
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 4:50:19 PM
At 3/29/2016 4:32:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

But Trump only needs to be able to speak their language, and so far so good (even for a rookie politician).

You think Trump speaks the language of diplomacy? That must be a joke, right?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 4:52:33 PM
At 3/29/2016 4:50:19 PM, TBR wrote:

That's not the language used in the cigar rooms sir.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 4:54:09 PM
At 3/29/2016 4:52:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I think you would be mistaken. No matter the level, screaming stupid one-liners and waving your hands does not get you very far.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 4:55:16 PM
At 3/29/2016 4:54:09 PM, TBR wrote:

I think you would be mistaken. No matter the level, screaming stupid one-liners and waving your hands does not get you very far.

That's not the language used in cigar rooms either. You watch too much TV Tibby.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 5:01:35 PM
At 3/29/2016 4:55:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

That's not the language used in cigar rooms either. You watch too much TV Tibby.

Aren't you in education? I have been in very high level meetings in the banking industry, and now much more connection with business/government. No... I think it is you who are taking your queues from teeveee.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 5:14:52 PM
At 3/29/2016 5:01:35 PM, TBR wrote:

Aren't you in education? I have been in very high level meetings in the banking industry, and now much more connection with business/government. No... I think it is you who are taking your queues from teeveee.

Do you think this is Trump's first brush with politicians? He has done a pretty good job of getting them to do what he wanted previously. Isn't one of his criticisms his use and support of eminent domain? Isn't he accused of having close ties to Hillary Clinton?

You can't have it both ways.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 5:27:14 PM
At 3/29/2016 5:14:52 PM, vortex86 wrote:

Do you think this is Trump's first brush with politicians? He has done a pretty good job of getting them to do what he wanted previously. Isn't one of his criticisms his use and support of eminent domain? Isn't he accused of having close ties to Hillary Clinton?

The subject at hand is, can Trump be a diplomat. The clear answer is NO. How well he has done at buying politicians has no impact on how he can or will be as a representative of my country.

As to his "good job" getting them to do what he wants. Who are you talking about? Some local functionary? What non-real estate dealings do you think he has had any success at? Do you think that is on the same level as negotiating treaties? What a joke. The "big meetings" are made up of grown-ups not blowhards.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 6:48:59 PM
At 3/29/2016 5:27:14 PM, TBR wrote:

The subject at hand is, can Trump be a diplomat. The clear answer is NO. How well he has done at buying politicians has no impact on how he can or will be as a representative of my country.

As to his "good job" getting them to do what he wants. Who are you talking about? Some local functionary? What non-real estate dealings do you think he has had any success at? Do you think that is on the same level as negotiating treaties? What a joke. The "big meetings" are made up of grown-ups not blowhards.

He was initially talking about speaking the language of elected officials (politicians). I established that he has already done this previously to his benefit. You added in the diplomatic angle afterwards.

I would argue that he is capable of speaking diplomatically as he has negotiated international deals with no problem. Dubai's Trump World Golf Club (taken heat with his presidential candidacy). If you look at the earlier interviews with Trump you will see he is intelligent and capable of speaking intellectually (https://www.youtube.com...) (1988 talk about consistency). I think Ben Carson put it perfectly about describing the two Trumps. The tv personality who is boisterous and sometimes overbearing. That has been capitalizing on his publicity to run a very economic campaign, and the intelligent businessman that people that know him on a personal level see.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 6:56:50 PM
At 3/29/2016 6:48:59 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 3/29/2016 5:27:14 PM, TBR wrote:

He was initially talking about speaking the language of elected officials (politicians). I established that he has already done this previously to his benefit. You added in the diplomatic angle afterwards.

And he does not do THIS well. He11, its part of his appeal that he is NOT talking like a politician, right?

I would argue that he is capable of speaking diplomatically as he has negotiated international deals with no problem. Dubai's Trump World Golf Club (taken heat with his presidential candidacy). If you look at the earlier interviews with Trump you will see he is intelligent and capable of speaking intellectually

Are you kidding me? They took the branding off the gold course, and that is all it was, branding.

If he wants anyone to take him as an intellectual, he needs to stop behaving like a reality teevee buffoon for the masses.

http://nypost.com...

(https://www.youtube.com...) (1988 talk about consistency). I think Ben Carson put it perfectly about describing the two Trumps. The tv personality who is boisterous and sometimes overbearing. That has been capitalizing on his publicity to run a very economic campaign, and the intelligent businessman that people that know him on a personal level see.

What is that to mean to me? That he is a complete fake?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:00:27 PM
I think Ben Carson put it perfectly about describing the two Trumps. The TV personality who is boisterous and sometimes overbearing. That has been capitalizing on his publicity to run a very economic campaign, and the intelligent businessman that people that know him on a personal level see.

This is what I meant about you watched too much TV TBR. It wasn't meant as an insult.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:20:03 PM

Indeed, politics covers a much broader area than business--the things that a U.S president would be expected to negotiate about require much more gravitas and political knowledge than Donald Trump seemingly has.

In the long-term (and in the context of him being a global leader), merely speaking the same language is not enough--especially for the type of policies that he's proposing. Once again there is the matter of international and non-domestic politics, and how well he'd get along in that.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:29:27 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:00:27 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I think Ben Carson put it perfectly about describing the two Trumps. The TV personality who is boisterous and sometimes overbearing. That has been capitalizing on his publicity to run a very economic campaign, and the intelligent businessman that people that know him on a personal level see.

This is what I meant about you watched too much TV TBR. It wasn't meant as an insult.

1) that was posted by what's his face not as a trump insult, so.... 2) I don't watch tv. 3) still has nothing to do with what we were discussing. I have seen more high level meetings between business and government than, I would guess, 99.999% of this forum. They are not dogfights. They are not whoever talks the loudest.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:32:55 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:29:27 PM, TBR wrote:

1) that was posted by what's his face not as a trump insult, so.... 2) I don't watch tv. 3) still has nothing to do with what we were discussing. I have seen more high level meetings between business and government than, I would guess, 99.999% of this forum. They are not dogfights. They are not whoever talks the loudest.

Have you read Trump's books yet?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:35:20 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:32:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Which one? He has had so many published under his name (or I guess we could believe he writes them - if you like).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:37:40 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:35:20 PM, TBR wrote:

Which one? He has had so many published under his name (or I guess we could believe he writes them - if you like).

Lol, don't go all "Obama didn't write dat" on me....
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:40:00 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:37:40 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

OK. Fair enough. Ill take him at his word, but still, what book? I think the guy has more than 20, all named just about the same thing. "HOW TO MAKE MONEY THE TRUMP WAY!!!!" "HOW I CAME BACK FROM <wisper>failure TO MAKE LOTS OF MONEY!!!" "YOU TO CAN MAKE LOTS OF MONEY"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:41:01 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:40:00 PM, TBR wrote:

OK. Fair enough.

Did you read any of Trump's books?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:45:47 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:41:01 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/29/2016 7:40:00 PM, TBR wrote:

OK. Fair enough.

I have picked-up "art of the deal" a couple times. The answer is, NO, I have not read any of his political books. I honestly have no use for his musings. If he should win the nomination, and somehow manage a win in the general, I will seriously consider moving to either Montreal, or my two lifetime wishes, Rakovic Iceland or Greece. Only for the four years, but still. Love my son to spend some years in any of these places.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:48:27 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:45:47 PM, TBR wrote:

I have picked-up "art of the deal" a couple times. The answer is, NO, I have not read any of his political books. I honestly have no use for his musings. If he should win the nomination, and somehow manage a win in the general, I will seriously consider moving to either Montreal, or my two lifetime wishes, Rakovic Iceland or Greece. Only for the four years, but still. Love my son to spend some years in any of these places.

Well then, how are you any different than radical conservatives who took extreme views on Obama because of a few clips on Rev. Wright? Don't answer, you already indicated you can't be bothered to look deeper, and that Trump is decidedly uninspiring to you.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:49:20 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:46:50 PM, TBR wrote:
Note: The link was to a article about the author of "Art of the Deal"

Right, and Obama didn't write anything either. Just drop it Tibby.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:51:29 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:49:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Got some proof of that? Seems I have proof for Trumps deceit.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:52:20 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:48:27 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/29/2016 7:45:47 PM, TBR wrote:

Well then, how are you any different than radical conservatives who took extreme views on Obama because of a few clips on Rev. Wright? Don't answer, you already indicated you can't be bothered to look deeper, and that Trump is decidedly uninspiring to you.

Please... Trump has been on the radar long enough to know what an a$$ he is. He has been in our face since the 80's
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2016 7:53:21 PM
At 3/29/2016 7:51:29 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/29/2016 7:49:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Got some proof of that? Seems I have proof for Trumps deceit.

I have proof, and it's not hard to find, but it's a pointless exercise. The end result will still be the same: Trump is too uninspiring for you to take a second look at.