Jump to topic:

Anti discrminiation laws

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:44:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Most of us agree that racism and discrimination on race is morally wrong. But other than that, why do we have discrimination laws? If private businesses own their own business, shouldn't they be able to do what they want?

Keep in mind, I do not condone discrimination in anyway, but I'm failing to see the logic in this. Nobody comes into your house and tells you what is right or wrong, but why doesn't this logic apply to private business?
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:54:18 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:44:43 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
Most of us agree that racism and discrimination on race is morally wrong. But other than that, why do we have discrimination laws? If private businesses own their own business, shouldn't they be able to do what they want?

Keep in mind, I do not condone discrimination in anyway, but I'm failing to see the logic in this. Nobody comes into your house and tells you what is right or wrong, but why doesn't this logic apply to private business?

Private businesses operate with the consent of the community they operate in. They are not individuals, and don't get the protections to be d1cks like an actual individual.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:57:36 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:54:18 PM, TBR wrote:

Private businesses operate with the consent of the community they operate in. They are not individuals, and don't get the protections to be d1cks like an actual individual.

Is there an law that requires them seek the consent of the community? So businesses cannot operate without that consent?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:03:51 PM
Why should businesses require the consent of their communities to operate?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:05:33 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:57:36 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Is there an law that requires them seek the consent of the community? So businesses cannot operate without that consent?

Yup. A corporation, or LLC etc. exists only by forming the fictitious 'person'. That, plus a business license, a fake SS# EIN to pay tax etc.

Was a time that corporations had to PROVE they were a net benefit to the community. They had to dissolve and start again at intervals.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:07:01 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:03:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Because there is no such thing as this "company" without filling the paperwork, and creating the company.

They can't have it both ways. You can't be a fictitious 'person' with the rights and benefits that gets you, AND just do as you please.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:08:19 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:05:33 PM, TBR wrote:

Yup. A corporation, or LLC etc. exists only by forming the fictitious 'person'. That, plus a business license, a fake SS# EIN to pay tax etc.

Was a time that corporations had to PROVE they were a net benefit to the community. They had to dissolve and start again at intervals.

Do you know what the specific law is named?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:14:08 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:08:19 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

What one? There is plenty of business law, there is plenty of local and state laws pertaining to business licensing. There is the IRS. Take your pick.

Business are not allowed to operate willy-nilly just because people who read Ayn Rand think it would be cool.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:31:30 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:14:08 PM, TBR wrote:

What one? There is plenty of business law, there is plenty of local and state laws pertaining to business licensing. There is the IRS. Take your pick.

Business are not allowed to operate willy-nilly just because people who read Ayn Rand think it would be cool.

The one that states that businesses need the consent of the community?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:34:06 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:07:01 PM, TBR wrote:

Because there is no such thing as this "company" without filling the paperwork, and creating the company.

Huh?

They can't have it both ways. You can't be a fictitious 'person' with the rights and benefits that gets you, AND just do as you please.

Companies are owned and founded by people; those people have rights. Namely, the right to run their business as they please.

The DDO Blog:

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:36:22 PM

You libertarian scum XD

Its cuz the government has the duty to protect each citizen. Giving citizens a better opportunity because of their characteristics, and not their choices, is not just. Favoring one citizen over the other is unjust, thus the government must intervene. If not, its the same thing that happened in Nazi Germany, Jews became poor and neglected because they can't find jobs, out of no fault of their own. I cant live in a society that willfully lets that happen, it condones the behavior
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:36:34 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:31:30 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 3/30/2016 9:14:08 PM, TBR wrote:

The one that states that businesses need the consent of the community?

Each state and local government (counties too) will have business licensing requirements. You may need multiple licenses to operate.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:37:07 PM
The idea that "the community" has control over you completely destroys the idea of individualism. If the community doesn't like your business, the majority of its people can not frequent it. That's the only kind of veto they should get.

The DDO Blog:

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:43:36 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:36:22 PM, Hayd wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

Its cuz the government has the duty to protect each citizen. Giving citizens a better opportunity because of their characteristics, and not their choices, is not just. Favoring one citizen over the other is unjust, thus the government must intervene. If not, its the same thing that happened in Nazi Germany, Jews became poor and neglected because they can't find jobs, out of no fault of their own. I cant live in a society that willfully lets that happen, it condones the behavior

I agree, but this is just an appeal to emotion. Because at the end of the day, it's the owners own property.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:45:26 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:43:36 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

I agree, but this is just an appeal to emotion. Because at the end of the day, it's the owners own property.

If the property has paramount value to all members of society, that members of society literally can't live without, then it is the government's duty.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:47:17 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:45:26 PM, Hayd wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

If the property has paramount value to all members of society, that members of society literally can't live without, then it is the government's duty.

The government has the right to protect your freedoms and keep you from harm. It does not have the job to keep you from being offended.

See I would agree with what you said, but is there any constitutional backing to this?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:50:47 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:47:17 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

The government has the right to protect your freedoms and keep you from harm. It does not have the job to keep you from being offended.

Being offended? What relation does being offended have to this?

See I would agree with what you said, but is there any constitutional backing to this?

Constitutional backing doesn't matter in a should proposition. If you bring up the constitution it commits fallacies appeal to authority and is/ought fallacy
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:51:33 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:34:06 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Huh?

Hun what? How do you think a company is created? By saying its name three times and blessing ayn rand?

Companies are owned and founded by people; those people have rights. Namely, the right to run their business as they please.

How is stock devided? How is tax collected? This is not just liberal clap trap. This is the bread and butter of the GOP.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:53:41 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:50:47 PM, Hayd wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

You are offended that a business owner did not let you into the store.

Constitutional backing doesn't matter in a should proposition. If you bring up the constitution it commits fallacies appeal to authority and is/ought fallacy

I don't understand what you mean.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:54:37 PM

You libertarian scum XD

The constitution sure does. Wait untill I get in front of a computer
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:55:20 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:54:37 PM, TBR wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

The constitution sure does. Wait untill I get in front of a computer

You aren't bringing up the Civil Rights Act right?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:56:04 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:51:33 PM, TBR wrote:

Huh?

Hun what? How do you think a company is created? By saying its name three times and blessing ayn rand?

Are you saying that because a company legally requires registration with the government to operate the local "community" has a moral right to control how it's run?

How is stock devided? How is tax collected? This is not just liberal clap trap. This is the bread and butter of the GOP.

Huh?

The DDO Blog:

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 9:58:08 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:53:41 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 3/30/2016 9:50:47 PM, Hayd wrote:

You libertarian scum XD

You are offended that a business owner did not let you into the store.

Oh, I thought we were talking about hiring and stuff. Like you don't hire gay people as employees. But this is even more relatable to Nazis. "No Jews or dogs allowed". Should they be able to do this? Its mroe than being offended, its more difficult to find food, go shopping, get goods, etc. out of no fault of your own

I don't understand what you mean.

Whether or not the constiution backs up either side doesn't matter. Because the constitution doesnt provide reasoning for why it would choose the side that it chooses. Even if it did, its not the fact that its the constitutino that matters, it would be its reasoning. Bringing up the constitution to support your side would be an appeal to authority and an is/ought fallacy. Just because it is illegal doesnt mean it ought to be
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:22:29 PM

Why should businesses have inherent rights?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:23:19 PM
At 3/30/2016 9:56:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Huh?

Are you saying that because a company legally requires registration with the government to operate the local "community" has a moral right to control how it's run?

Lets look at some examples. Say a community does not want a porno shop in their community. Can they deny a license?

Lets go to state level. Say I want to prostitute women. Can I run my pimping game without a license?

How about me selling home-made meth. Lets see....

Unlicensed doctors? Accounts? No. Thre are more than enough places where there are moral and professional requirements required by community, counties, state and federal.

Again. Ayn Rand is a fantasy.

Huh?

OK. You want this company, right? What do you think is the primary bits of a corporation? I am asking.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:24:58 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:22:29 PM, bsh1 wrote:

They have NO rights without existing in the first damn place.

It seems they (the Randians) want the company to exist, get protections, operate in a community, and all without any requirements from them.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:28:23 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:24:58 PM, TBR wrote:

They have NO rights without existing in the first damn place.

That was the point I was going to make, lol. Perhaps not as bluntly...but, I agree that businesses have no innate rights.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:35:29 PM

Don't the people running them have rights?

The DDO Blog:

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:37:13 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:23:19 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 9:56:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Huh?

Lets look at some examples. Say a community does not want a porno shop in their community. Can they deny a license?

Can they?

Lets go to state level. Say I want to prostitute women. Can I run my pimping game without a license?

It's illegal now so no, but

How about me selling home-made meth. Lets see....

Unlicensed doctors? Accounts? No. Thre are more than enough places where there are moral and professional requirements required by community, counties, state and federal.

The federal government doesn't run this, doctors have organizations for this. And it's wrong to compare doctors because they have a social contract to follow.

Again. Ayn Rand is a fantasy.

Huh?

OK. You want this company, right? What do you think is the primary bits of a corporation? I am asking.