Jump to topic:

European pseudo free speech

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 11:53:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Almost all of Europe claims to have free speech, and it's written in the constitution across many European nations. The only problem is, the European model of free speech would be better classified as "pseudo free speech." There are restrictions against 'hate speech' in Europe which isn't protected by free speech.

Moving on to the USA, free speech is near absolute. Unlike in Europe, the United States has literally no legal restrictions on free speech. People in the USA are free to express or say whatever they like, even things that would have them thrown in prison in Europe.

However, opposition in both the USA and Europe have came regarding their laws on free speech. In the USA, a lot of promotion for the European pseudo free speech model is coming from the left. While in Europe, opposition against European pseudo free speech is coming from people mainly in the nationalist right-wing group.

So I am curious to know, what do you people think about free speech and hate speech? Should Europe repeal its hate speech laws, or should the USA adopt hate speech laws in response?
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:07:26 AM
At 3/31/2016 11:53:58 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
Almost all of Europe claims to have free speech, and it's written in the constitution across many European nations. The only problem is, the European model of free speech would be better classified as "pseudo free speech." There are restrictions against 'hate speech' in Europe which isn't protected by free speech.

Moving on to the USA, free speech is near absolute. Unlike in Europe, the United States has literally no legal restrictions on free speech. People in the USA are free to express or say whatever they like, even things that would have them thrown in prison in Europe.

However, opposition in both the USA and Europe have came regarding their laws on free speech. In the USA, a lot of promotion for the European pseudo free speech model is coming from the left. While in Europe, opposition against European pseudo free speech is coming from people mainly in the nationalist right-wing group.

So I am curious to know, what do you people think about free speech and hate speech? Should Europe repeal its hate speech laws, or should the USA adopt hate speech laws in response?

Europe should repeal it's hate speech laws as the definition of hate speech can be arbitrary. Free speech should only be limited if it would lead directly to physical harm (ex. Yelling "FIRE" in a crowded building) or if the speech is a clear precedent to a crime (ex. Exclaiming that I will get a bomb and blow people up in the name of Allah)
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
swindler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:23:42 AM

I find it ridiculous that the idea of hate speech even exists. How do you define 'hate speech' without having a predetermined bias? There is literally no uniform interpretation of the concept, so why should there be cherry-picked laws/regulations on certain forms of speech while others are largely ignored? People always say speech incites violence but if you look at Europe's stance on press regulation, it is less about incitement of violence but moreso blocking out generally offensive political stances. Some politician faced charges because he wrote a piece on the "Islamization of Europe!" America's system isn't 100% perfect, but is by far the most ideal and I pray leftists don't fk it up.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:33:02 AM

Europe should repeal it's hate speech bs. Speech has never killed anyone. However I do agree with extended criminal sentences if proven a crime was motivated by hatred toward a class of people. The principle of it makes me wary, but it is the right thing to do if the burden of proof is set at a high enough bar.
bulpoof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 12:44:46 AM

So I am curious to know, what do you people think about free speech and hate speech? Should Europe repeal its hate speech laws, or should the USA adopt hate speech laws in response? : :

Whenever a group of people needs laws to protect them from being punished for speaking their thoughts, they do not have freedom of speech. We won't experience freedom of speech until everyone speaks the same language in Paradise.

I have preached the gospel on the streets for close to five years now and I have learned that many people hate the freedom I have for speaking words they don't like. They have threatened to beat me up and even gave me subtle death threats. This proves I don't really have freedom to express my thoughts even though there are laws protecting me from doing so.

I have witnessed several friends being driven away from places by police and store owners where they were supposed to have the right to speak freely. These friends have to battle against these attacks just to speak their minds and that is not true freedom.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 11:33:26 AM
At 4/1/2016 12:23:42 AM, swindler wrote:

I find it ridiculous that the idea of hate speech even exists. How do you define 'hate speech' without having a predetermined bias? There is literally no uniform interpretation of the concept, so why should there be cherry-picked laws/regulations on certain forms of speech while others are largely ignored? People always say speech incites violence but if you look at Europe's stance on press regulation, it is less about incitement of violence but moreso blocking out generally offensive political stances. Some politician faced charges because he wrote a piece on the "Islamization of Europe!" America's system isn't 100% perfect, but is by far the most ideal and I pray leftists don't fk it up.

Hate speech has become "if someone speaks against something or someone and you don't like it." Which could be attached to anything by anyone. It's a b.s. blanket term bent towards muzzling the people which is dangerous.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2016 2:38:27 PM
At 4/1/2016 11:33:26 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 4/1/2016 12:23:42 AM, swindler wrote:

Hate speech has become "if someone speaks against something or someone and you don't like it." Which could be attached to anything by anyone. It's a b.s. blanket term bent towards muzzling the people which is dangerous.

Do you have some special retard-goggles that make your misunderstand everything?