Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Nothing to fear, but fear itself.

HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 12:33:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The democrats used the fear of poverty, racism and old age to promote unaffordable new-deal social programs that would eventually break the country. The republicans did their part by using fear of Islamic terrorists to justify unnecessary and unnaffordable wars. A country with no money and no credit can do very little to defend against any of the above. They forgot about the most important aspect of any agenda-- the ability to pay for it. I find it ironic that their misguided efforts will lead to a meeting with the exact same fate they attempted to prevent.
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 5:15:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I hate to break it to you, but money isn't an issue for the US government. For starters, they've got Fort Knox. Second, they can mint as much cash as they want. They don't have to worry about prices plummeting because the money they mint is already worthless except for what they say. Finally, money isn't a problem because the government can always revert to pure communism, to some extent. You do what they tell you, and they won't murder you and your family and make it look like an accident. Or maybe they just give you a nicer house or cancel your taxes for the rest of your life. All you have do to is free labor.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 6:49:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Fort Knox has something like 223 billion in gold, thats 1/3 of QE2 the Fed Reserve is printing. Its also roughly 1% of gdp. It's not very much. I think we all know they can't just print more money, common sense says that leads to inflation and all sorts of problems. Just because we have a fiat money system (i dont think fiat money has ever worked in history) doesn't mean the dollar doesn't matter, it means the opposite. Weve put so much faith into it and nothing else the government cant let it fail. You're onto something with the communism thing though, didn't Marx say countries go from capitalism to socialism to communism, were at a pretty good pace moving from capitalism to socialism.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 12:33:54 PM, HandsOff wrote:
The democrats used the fear of poverty, racism and old age to promote unaffordable new-deal social programs that would eventually break the country. The republicans did their part by using fear of Islamic terrorists to justify unnecessary and unnaffordable wars. A country with no money and no credit can do very little to defend against any of the above. They forgot about the most important aspect of any agenda-- the ability to pay for it. I find it ironic that their misguided efforts will lead to a meeting with the exact same fate they attempted to prevent.

Exactly, the odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are slim to none, yet we have the patriot act, two expensive wars and the infringing on civil liberties. While the other side think they're justified in expanding government in the economy.

I feel like anyone who steps back and looks at it would agree, what are we doing? preemptive war? going to war to prevent war would be crazy talk not so long ago. Im all for a big military budget and thinking of innovative ways to kill people but do they really feel this is justification?

oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
whats a good country to move to when i get out of college?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 9:58:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
whats a good country to move to when i get out of college?

This would be the best country to move to if you had a time machine and could get back to a time when liberal socialists and right-wing war mongers didn't have control o of our destiny.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 12:02:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM, lewis20 wrote:
oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
Well, who do you prefer? Thank God a radical libertarian does not want to join the future campaign. Hopefully no future campaigns anywhere - at all.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 12:40:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 12:02:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM, lewis20 wrote:
oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
Well, who do you prefer? Thank God a radical libertarian does not want to join the future campaign. Hopefully no future campaigns anywhere - at all.

Yeah cus pulling troops out of the middle east, ending corporate welfare, and abolishing the international banking cartel would really suck for the world.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 12:46:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 12:40:03 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 11/19/2010 12:02:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM, lewis20 wrote:
oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
Well, who do you prefer? Thank God a radical libertarian does not want to join the future campaign. Hopefully no future campaigns anywhere - at all.

Yeah cus pulling troops out of the middle east, ending corporate welfare, and abolishing the international banking cartel would really suck for the world.
That does not require libertarianism, but common sense.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 1:13:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 12:46:43 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/19/2010 12:40:03 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 11/19/2010 12:02:03 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM, lewis20 wrote:
oh well, Ron Paul 2012...
Well, who do you prefer? Thank God a radical libertarian does not want to join the future campaign. Hopefully no future campaigns anywhere - at all.

Yeah cus pulling troops out of the middle east, ending corporate welfare, and abolishing the international banking cartel would really suck for the world.
That does not require libertarianism, but common sense.

yes common sense, which both democrats and republicans lack
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 1:23:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 1:13:44 PM, lewis20 wrote:
yes common sense, which both democrats and republicans lack
Most do not make use of it - correct.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 3:19:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So even though Ron Paul would try to do a lot of enormously beneficial things, you wouldn't want him to be president because you disagree with his reasoning behind it.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 4:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 3:19:27 PM, Sieben wrote:
So even though Ron Paul would try to do a lot of enormously beneficial things, you wouldn't want him to be president because you disagree with his reasoning behind it.

Bad reasoning means he will make harmful choices if given the chance.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 4:58:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 4:02:24 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/19/2010 3:19:27 PM, Sieben wrote:
So even though Ron Paul would try to do a lot of enormously beneficial things, you wouldn't want him to be president because you disagree with his reasoning behind it.

Bad reasoning means he will make harmful choices if given the chance.

"if"

So he has some ideas you disagree with too. What's the net? Is the minimum wage more important than ending the drug war? Is government providing healthcare more important than breaking the healthcare monopoly? etc etc...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 5:04:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 4:02:24 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/19/2010 3:19:27 PM, Sieben wrote:
So even though Ron Paul would try to do a lot of enormously beneficial things, you wouldn't want him to be president because you disagree with his reasoning behind it.

Bad reasoning means he will make harmful choices if given the chance.

Who said it was bad reasoning
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 5:12:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
^If someone isn't a libertarian now, they probably won't be after you argue with them. What I'm saying is that even if you think libertarianism is retarded, Ron Paul could still be a net good depending on how you feel about our current government.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 5:19:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was simply saying it's debatable at worst
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:44:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/19/2010 5:12:24 PM, Sieben wrote:
^If someone isn't a libertarian now, they probably won't be after you argue with them. What I'm saying is that even if you think libertarianism is retarded, Ron Paul could still be a net good depending on how you feel about our current government.

That goes both ways. After arguing with Libertarians, most still remain Libertarians.

If Ron Paul had a chance at winning, I might actually vote for him because the drug war and a trillion+ dollar defense budget lined up for 2011 is certainly more important than the minimum wage. However, abolishing the minimum wage is to ride with the wind, while accomplishing the other two objectives is to challenge a hurricane of power, which isn't a winning battle in the current political climate.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:49:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/18/2010 5:15:58 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
They don't have to worry about prices plummeting because the money they mint is already worthless except for what they say.

Smart man.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat