Different approach to gun control?

Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 4:11:45 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 4/2/2016 4:07:55 AM, RookieApologist wrote:
No. These have nothing to do with having a 2nd amendment right to bear arms.

?
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 4:26:48 AM

I'm not sure what you mean.

You are generally required to have a federal firearms license to purchase a gun.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 5:06:56 AM

Yeah it has everything to do with your second amendment right to bear arms, as well as everyone else's right to be safe from you in the case of using your gun in any scenario. Did you watch the videos?

I think that if you buy a gun, a mandatory gun safety class should be the minimum. If its recreational, then I don't see why anyone would ever need one of these classes, but if you are going to use your gun for self defense I think it should be registered as such, and classes of this nature should be taken. Mistakes aren't an option when you are packing heat. If you are going to crack, or hesitate, then you should know that ahead of time, for the sake of your loved ones and those around you.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:43:14 PM
My point is no there does not need to be even more regulation for law abiding citizens purchasing firearms, unless it has something to do with mental illness.

There is nothing in the 2nd amendment about having to take a class.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 12:44:00 PM
The classes are fine per se, and they should certainly be offered, but I don't think they should be a requirement. Just more overreach by the government.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 1:53:05 PM
At 4/2/2016 1:28:41 PM, TN05 wrote:
For a concealed carry permit, sure.

Isn't this already a requirement (at least in most states for concealed [I can only speak to the state I live in and other states I've lived in]).
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:13:31 PM
At 4/2/2016 1:53:05 PM, vortex86 wrote:

Isn't this already a requirement (at least in most states for concealed [I can only speak to the state I live in and other states I've lived in]).

Pretty much. My state requires a training course to demonstrate competent marksmanship as well as training on the applicable local, state, and federal laws regarding firearm use and culpability. That's fine for a carry permit, not for just buying a gun. It's kind of like how you can drive your car without a license on your own property, but you need a driver's license to drive it in public.
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 2:24:28 PM
At 4/2/2016 12:44:00 PM, RookieApologist wrote:
The classes are fine per se, and they should certainly be offered, but I don't think they should be a requirement. Just more overreach by the government.

What if the gov just handled the paperwork processing, and the NRA dictated the rules and testing?
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:44:05 AM
At 4/2/2016 2:24:28 PM, Dark-one wrote:
At 4/2/2016 12:44:00 PM, RookieApologist wrote:

What if the gov just handled the paperwork processing, and the NRA dictated the rules and testing?

It ought to be just like the Constitution says. Leave it to the states.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 12:21:06 AM
At 4/2/2016 1:53:05 PM, vortex86 wrote:

No. There are different permit classes you can take depending on what and how many states you want to be legal. The more encompassing the class the more states you can carry in general, but not necessarily. I believe the most common set of reggs is according to standards for Utah, but that might just be good enough for my region. That allows you to carry most places in the US but not every state. Someone else will have to verify that.

There is a conceal carry class, but typically they just make sure you can safely load and fire a gun at a human sized target after going over the legal procedure you must use in the case that the firearm is ever used. Additionally you are usually reminded of common sense gun safety, and you are also advised on how to survive both the situation, and legal complications that come with it. Obviously you need to be legal to own a firearm to successfully apply for the permit. A good class will HEAVILY convey just how large of a responsibility you have to protecting human life and repeatedly pound into you that you shouldn't carry if you aren't well practiced. Oh they also cover avoidance deescalation and awareness strategies to stay out of trouble while you are carring a firearm, but I'm not sure if that's required either.

There is nothing proficiency or performance related in our requirements for a conceal carry class, beyond being able to safely load, aim, and shoot. Again though, they should be psychologically scarring you to the point that you know you need to practice no matter what the standards are, or leave the gun at home.

I'm just giving you the perspective from the midwest. I'm not sure what they do in other parts of the country.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.