Jump to topic:

Has Barack Obama been a good president?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 6:21:58 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I don't live in the USA, so I've only really seen things from the outside. It seems his only real achievement was the healthcare bill. He has otherwise failed to get things past republican majorities In the house and Senate.

My main issues with him are pulling out too soon from Iraq, failing to deal with Islamic state and being bullied and outmanuevered by Putin. The campaign in Libya was a failure and the Syria air campaign is not really achieving much.

So Americans what do you think? Is Obama a complete failure or has he done things domestically I haven't heard about?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 8:11:46 PM
He's likely to go down in history as a slightly above-average President.

The ACA is a big thing, regardless of how you see it (I disagree with substantial portions of it), and it lowered the uninsured persons rate to below 10% for the first time ever. He began normalizing relations with Cuba and, of course, there was the Iran Nucelar Deal. There's also the TPP (which I'm pretty much ambivalent on), but that gets a great deal of praise. The legalization of same-sex marriage also occurred under his administration.
TeaPartyBijesse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 8:35:25 PM
NO. He has made America a few steps closer to a dictatorship / one man govt. With his multiple "executive orders" he is deliberately trying to make America more like a communist China or Red Russia. 3 words: Abuse Of Power
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 9:14:03 PM
At 4/2/2016 8:35:25 PM, TeaPartyBijesse wrote:
NO. He has made America a few steps closer to a dictatorship / one man govt. With his multiple "executive orders" he is deliberately trying to make America more like a communist China or Red Russia. 3 words: Abuse Of Power

You were what, 12, when the economy nearly crumpled into another depression? 5 when the republican backed worse most disastrous forging policy blunders were made. Yea, I think you missed plenty.
vardaanbhat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 9:34:46 PM
At 4/2/2016 9:14:03 PM, TBR wrote:

You were what, 12, when the economy nearly crumpled into another depression? 5 when the republican backed worse most disastrous forging policy blunders were made. Yea, I think you missed plenty.

The Great depression was caused by government intervention, as was the collapse of 2008,
https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com...
http://www.forbes.com...
vardaanbhat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 9:35:19 PM
At 4/2/2016 9:34:46 PM, vardaanbhat wrote:
At 4/2/2016 9:14:03 PM, TBR wrote:

The Great depression was caused by government intervention, as was the collapse of 2008,
https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com...
http://www.forbes.com...

That is not to say I'm a Republican; I'm a laissez-faire capitalist.
SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 9:35:42 PM
He's actually been a fairly decent president, despite him facing discrimination for being black from bigoted white conservatives.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2016 10:01:26 PM
He doesn't get enough credit for expanding food stamps or SNAP in the stimulus bill that he passed in the summer of 2009, when the economy was really bleak. It not only kept many Americans from becoming malnourished, I did stimulate the economy by keeping grocery stores operating without having to raise prices due to less shoppers, and kept the trucking industry busy transporting food. Farmers benefited as well. There are many Americans who are against food stamps or SNAP - who do not understand how it generates a slow economy.
ruairi50
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 2:03:53 AM
I used to be a blind Democrat. I changed a good bit since then.

I didn't care about U.S politics very much being that I was, and still am, very young. The only thing that concerned me was if people were or were not dying around the world.

I took a keen interest in the Syrian conflict. I saw it and as a young boy it interested me. I watched our president pronounce that there was a red line in Syria. I remember being horrified when the Syrian people were gassed and was ready for the United States to take action and kill Assad. We all know how that worked out.

This is when I started paying attention to politics. My president's weakness brought me to the light.

Since then I've really come around. I am a Tea Party Conservative thanks to Obama. Once that initial domino fell, it was easy for me to find faults. The affordable care act is flawed. His middle east policy and removal of troops from Iraq is based off of flawed logic. Under him, racial tensions are at an all time high. The list goes on and on.

In general, I don't believe that Obama will go down in the history books as a great president, or even a good president. I think that the tensions between the parties right now is perfect evidence of that. We all hate each other and I think he takes a big chunk of blame for that.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:38:10 PM
At 4/2/2016 6:21:58 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
I don't live in the USA, so I've only really seen things from the outside. It seems his only real achievement was the healthcare bill. He has otherwise failed to get things past republican majorities In the house and Senate.

My main issues with him are pulling out too soon from Iraq, failing to deal with Islamic state and being bullied and outmanuevered by Putin. The campaign in Libya was a failure and the Syria air campaign is not really achieving much.

So Americans what do you think? Is Obama a complete failure or has he done things domestically I haven't heard about?

I believe Obama has been a phenomenal President. Obama inherited, an economy that was in the biggest depression, since the recession and a failed war in Iraq that was a complete failure (this war created ISIS).

Obama did the best he could, with the congress that he had. The healthcare bill is a step in the right direction, and cutting losses in Iraq (I believe) was a good move. How long should it be occupied, until 2020, 2025, 2050?

Obama has destroyed Putin. Because of santions, the russia economy is in shambles and not a single American life has been lost. What should he have done, started a war with russia?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:40:37 PM

Compared to BJ Clinton and GW bush? Yes, I agree, he has been an improvement.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:08:26 PM
At 4/2/2016 9:35:42 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:
He's actually been a fairly decent president, despite him facing discrimination for being black from bigoted white conservatives.

http://knowyourmeme.com...
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 11:49:31 PM

I disagree with a ton of his policies, and I thought he was kind of a ****bag at home and overseas but despite that I think he was a pretty good president, so I'd say he performed pretty well and earned his second term.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 12:32:07 AM

Complete failure. Taqiya, maruna, kitman, and tawriya 101. He's an anti American mole, which is exactly why America, predominantly Christian, is so anti Obama. We see right through him and are ready for the sabatoge and the B.S. to end. But our ways were too powerful for him to sink his claws as far as he wanted. That's why he wants the U.N. next, to secure decades more of his reign of terror by providing Islamic fundamentalists resources and arms. He's a disgrace.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 12:36:40 AM
At 4/3/2016 3:38:10 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I believe Obama has been a phenomenal President. Obama inherited, an economy that was in the biggest depression, since the recession and a failed war in Iraq that was a complete failure (this war created ISIS).
I would argue Obama created ISIS by prematurely bringing everyone back home when it was still an environment of chaos. His inability to act and enforce the "line in the sand" and really just do anything in Syria is really what has caused ISIS to become what is has. It also doesn't help that we gave weapons and arms to terrorists and the weakest fighters in the war as well. I agree, Bush created instability, but with the amount of support the Iraq war had, any President would have followed the same course by going to war. Let's also not forget the failed attempt by his administration in Libya. Libya is now a failed state, and has created (similarly to Iraq with Bush) a very chaotic environment that has allowed ISIS to grow and become a legitimate faction in their civil war. He's also trimmed down the nuclear arsenal and military while China and Russia are growing theirs. I personally believe Obama has been one of the weakest foreign policy Presidents of all time.
Obama did the best he could, with the congress that he had. The healthcare bill is a step in the right direction, and cutting losses in Iraq (I believe) was a good move. How long should it be occupied, until 2020, 2025, 2050?
Until the area stabilized.
Obama has destroyed Putin. Because of santions, the russia economy is in shambles and not a single American life has been lost. What should he have done, started a war with russia?
The only problem is now relations are becoming pretty tense again. And Obama certainly lacks the brinkmanship required in times of tension.

Obama's economy hasn't been good either even as we've seemingly recovered. Student loans, food stamps, the debt, money printing, and health insurance costs have all skyrocketed in the past couple years; while labor participation, median family income, home ownership, and worker's share of the economy have plummeted. It doesn't help that the poverty rate has also reached a 50+ year high. You can only attribute so much to Bush with the economy. I'm tired of seeing Bush used as a scapegoat with anything negative about the economy. It's the same thing as blaming the hippie generation/movement on the Stones.

We're gonna need to see how Obama's presidency is followed in order to properly assess.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 5:24:55 PM
Posted: 3 months ago

He says he has. You'll have to show me where so I'll be able to see it to. He did a good job holding off his military until Syria had millions of refugees and pleaded Europe to take them all in, which wound up with a flooded welfare system, rape crisis, and demands for Sharia Law. Wonder if he might have planned that...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 5:56:00 PM
At 8/19/2016 5:24:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

He says he has. You'll have to show me where so I'll be able to see it to. He did a good job holding off his military until Syria had millions of refugees and pleaded Europe to take them all in, which wound up with a flooded welfare system, rape crisis, and demands for Sharia Law. Wonder if he might have planned that...

"His military"?

So, lets see if I can understand things correctly, here. Rebel uprising in Libya to oppose Gadaffi, Obama honors various treaties etc, and authorizes airstrikes, no boots on the ground, basic 'light' but sustained intervention.

Republicans screech about the War Powers act, declare what he is doing to be unconstitutional.

Fine. Airstrikes are halted, pack it in, head home.

Mean while, in Syria, Chemical WMDs are found to have been used by Assad at various cities against rebel forces. Obama sticks his hands in his pocket and whistles, waiting for his marching orders from congressional members. While no marching orders are given, he is none the less blamed for the various WMD goings on, or at least the US's lack of involvement regarding said WMDs, possible terrorist confiscation, etc etc.

Obama politely waits for his marching orders, which never come as congressional members (majority republican) realize that in giving Obama his marching orders, they are now on the hook for sending US troops into a hotzone where chemical WMDs have been used, and may be used again. Not surprisingly, congressional leadership (majority republican) stall on the matter long enough to get rescued by their white knight on a grizzly bear: Putin. Putin steps in stating he will assist Assad in said WMD disposal, and of course...

Obama is blamed for allowing Putin to take control/oversee said "disposal", which of course is suspect from the onset.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:07:23 PM
At 8/19/2016 5:56:00 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

"His military"?

So, lets see if I can understand things correctly, here. Rebel uprising in Libya to oppose Gadaffi, Obama honors various treaties etc, and authorizes airstrikes, no boots on the ground, basic 'light' but sustained intervention.

Republicans screech about the War Powers act, declare what he is doing to be unconstitutional.

Mean while, in Syria, Chemical WMDs are found to have been used by Assad at various cities against rebel forces. Obama sticks his hands in his pocket and whistles, waiting for his marching orders from congressional members. While no marching orders are given, he is none the less blamed for the various WMD goings on, or at least the US's lack of involvement regarding said WMDs, possible terrorist confiscation, etc etc.

Obama politely waits for his marching orders, which never come as congressional members (majority republican) realize that in giving Obama his marching orders, they are now on the hook for sending US troops into a hotzone where chemical WMDs have been used, and may be used again. Not surprisingly, congressional leadership (majority republican) stall on the matter long enough to get rescued by their white knight on a grizzly bear: Putin. Putin steps in stating he will assist Assad in said WMD disposal, and of course...

Obama is blamed for allowing Putin to take control/oversee said "disposal", which of course is suspect from the onset.

You call it "light"? He dropped more bombs on Libya by far than Bush did in his entire presidency combined...

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:10:13 PM
At 8/19/2016 7:07:23 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

"His military"?

You call it "light"? He dropped more bombs on Libya by far than Bush did in his entire presidency combined...

No video proof?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:10:28 PM
The Nobel Peace Prize winner is the bomb droppingest President of a time, and it isn't even close. Guess the committee should have waited to see his actual Presidency...

http://www.alternet.org...

Heterodox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:12:04 PM

No. Pretty terrible, but then again a lot of terrible presidents are taught as being good presidents. So, who knows.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:16:02 PM
At 4/4/2016 12:32:07 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Complete failure. Taqiya, maruna, kitman, and tawriya 101. He's an anti American mole, which is exactly why America, predominantly Christian, is so anti Obama. We see right through him and are ready for the sabatoge and the B.S. to end. But our ways were too powerful for him to sink his claws as far as he wanted. That's why he wants the U.N. next, to secure decades more of his reign of terror by providing Islamic fundamentalists resources and arms. He's a disgrace.

Americans hated him so much they re-elected him.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:30:26 PM
Ya know Chloe, you could see what America is like from the inside.
If you look good, Me and a whole lot of American men could find you a place to stay here.
Of course you probably won't think any of us are as sexy as you think Obama is.
Throwback
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:45:08 PM
Since he has stated he is opposed to everything America is, and his actions have proven it, he ranks among the worst American presidents.
When I respond with "OK" don't take it personally. I'm simply being appropriately dismissive.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 7:52:27 PM
At 8/19/2016 7:45:08 PM, Throwback wrote:
Since he has stated he is opposed to everything America is, and his actions have proven it, he ranks among the worst American presidents.

+1

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 8:06:25 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will go down as slightly less than average.

Every foreign policy under him has been considered politically safe at the expense of thousands of lives, and long term instability. (but the Eurotrash has to like us! even though the Euroworld is burning in it's own soup...)

Domestically, the only ballsy thing he did was put his stamp on Pelosicare, and after that, 270 days of golfing and fiddling, avoiding anything controversial.
http://obamagolfcounter.com...

At the end of his presidency he ceremoniously passed the torch to Hillary with the incredible whopper:

"I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office..."

Essentially, Obama spat in the face of History with that whopper; and when Hillary loses, History will spit right back.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 11:11:18 PM
At 8/19/2016 7:10:13 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

"His military"?

No video proof?

Common knowledge. Google it

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 11:13:24 PM
At 8/19/2016 8:06:25 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will go down as slightly less than average.

Every foreign policy under him has been considered politically safe at the expense of thousands of lives, and long term instability. (but the Eurotrash has to like us! even though the Euroworld is burning in it's own soup...)

Domestically, the only ballsy thing he did was put his stamp on Pelosicare, and after that, 270 days of golfing and fiddling, avoiding anything controversial.
http://obamagolfcounter.com...

At the end of his presidency he ceremoniously passed the torch to Hillary with the incredible whopper:

"I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office..."

Essentially, Obama spat in the face of History with that whopper; and when Hillary loses, History will spit right back.

He claimed she was an aluminum eating goat when he was going against her. Hecwas right. He may have been wrong on everything else.

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 11:10:11 AM
At 8/19/2016 11:11:18 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 8/19/2016 7:10:13 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

"His military"?

No video proof?

Common knowledge. Google it

Chase your bare assertion? When you are usually so quick to demonstrate your position on other topics? No thanks, I will just dismiss your 'argument' as bunk.