Jump to topic:

It has become PC to be Anti-PC

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:07:49 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I have never been a fan of Political Correctness. It annoys me (for example) when people get if someone does not think Caitlin Jenner is a hero (I do not think she is). In my opinion, "political correctness", is just used to cause outrage and rile people up to justify a certain point of view without analyzing the facts.

I often hear how Trump is like because he is "anti-pc". However, I do not think this is the case. Like "politically correct" people, Trump just tries to cause outrage and rile people to justify a certain point of view without analyzing the facts. In fact, I believe Trump is the most "politically correct".

Trump says the "politically correct" thing to pander to his base. Though, his base voter may be different than liberals, he still says the "politically correct thing" to appease his base. I do not believe someone can be "against political correctness" and be a Trump supporter. To be "anti-PC" someone should be for analysis/reasonable discussions.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:12:03 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:07:49 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I have never been a fan of Political Correctness. It annoys me (for example) when people get if someone does not think Caitlin Jenner is a hero (I do not think she is). In my opinion, "political correctness", is just used to cause outrage and rile people up to justify a certain point of view without analyzing the facts.

I often hear how Trump is like because he is "anti-pc". However, I do not think this is the case. Like "politically correct" people, Trump just tries to cause outrage and rile people to justify a certain point of view without analyzing the facts. In fact, I believe Trump is the most "politically correct".

Trump says the "politically correct" thing to pander to his base. Though, his base voter may be different than liberals, he still says the "politically correct thing" to appease his base. I do not believe someone can be "against political correctness" and be a Trump supporter. To be "anti-PC" someone should be for analysis/reasonable discussions.

Yea, up is down etc.

Truth is, the term PC has been under attack since its inception.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:14:53 PM

I'll agree with that when paid Trump men infiltrate a Hillary rally uninvited and prevent her from talking.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:16:11 PM

Political correctness is a cancer. It stops important dialogues form happening, gets people fired, breeds entitlement, and causes authorities to ignore crimes done by ethnic minorities.
Trump is just an ashole. Saying Megan Kelly is bleeding out of her vag is not un PC its just rude. An un PC statement would involve telling a hard truth that people don't want to hear.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:20:23 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:16:11 PM, Dilara wrote:

Political correctness is a cancer. It stops important dialogues form happening, gets people fired, breeds entitlement, and causes authorities to ignore crimes done by ethnic minorities.
Trump is just an ashole. Saying Megan Kelly is bleeding out of her vag is not un PC its just rude. An un PC statement would involve telling a hard truth that people don't want to hear.

I agree. The statement was rude. And like "political correctness", it stops important dialogue from happening as everyone talks about that statement instead of the issues.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:21:30 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:20:23 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 4/3/2016 3:16:11 PM, Dilara wrote:

I agree. The statement was rude. And like "political correctness", it stops important dialogue from happening as everyone talks about that statement instead of the issues.
Exactly. I'm worried that politically incorrect will become synonymys with rude.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:22:28 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:14:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I'll agree with that when paid Trump men infiltrate a Hillary rally uninvited and prevent her from talking.

I do not see how this is relevant. i would like to have a discussion about "political correctness" in this thread.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:32:28 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:22:28 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I do not see how this is relevant. i would like to have a discussion about "political correctness" in this thread.

Why are you deflecting? You CLEARLY said Trump says the Politically Correct thing to his base. For Trump and his supporters to be demonstrably PC, they must engage in PC behavior, such as crashing a Hillary rally.

Stop running away from the truth. This is relevant.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:40:06 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:32:28 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/3/2016 3:22:28 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Why are you deflecting? You CLEARLY said Trump says the Politically Correct thing to his base. For Trump and his supporters to be demonstrably PC, they must engage in PC behavior, such as crashing a Hillary rally.

I fail to see how it is relevant. Sorry. I do not think protesting a rally to be PC or not PC, it is just protesting.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 3:42:31 PM
At 4/3/2016 3:40:06 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I fail to see how it is relevant. Sorry. I do not think protesting a rally to be PC or not PC, it is just protesting.

Because PC isn't just words, it's censoring behavior using straw-manning, shame, or in extreme cases, shutting down a rally uninvited.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:11:31 PM
What Trump has done is speak without fear of being pollitcally incorrect. This shows courage. Some people like that.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 4:53:22 PM

I tend to agree with some of the other posters on here who posit that there is a difference between being un-PC and being rude. The latter is Donald Trump. You can have class, be highly regarded, and still be un-PC, and therein lies the real problem with political correctness, is that on occasion it does snatch a Donald Trump in its jaws, and that is fine, Trump should have his feet held to the fire for saying the stuff he does. However, usually it just goes after someone who is a real contributor to the marketplace of ideas, it goes after the person who is otherwise uncontroversial that might have made a slip up. Or it pursues objectives that are stupid and trivial like #Oscarsowhite
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:16:07 PM
At 4/3/2016 4:11:31 PM, xus00HAY wrote:
What Trump has done is speak without fear of being pollitcally incorrect. This shows courage. Some people like that.

I disagree. Trump says exactly what his base wants to hear. For example, his idea to build a wall, is costly and ineffective, but he advocates for it because his base loves when he says that. His response "the wall just got 10 feet taller" Mexico saying they will not pay for the wall is just pandering to his base. Trump just cares about riling up his base. I do not see anything courageous about pandering to peoples fears and biases.

What is "politically incorrect" in a republican primary, may not be the same as what is "politically incorrect" in a democratic primary. But, I believe Trump is either rude for the sake of being rude, or very politically correct.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:21:47 PM
At 4/3/2016 4:11:31 PM, xus00HAY wrote:

Further, Trump backtracked on his abortion stance within hours after the backlash that he got. He also backtracked on "going after terrorist families".

Trump just says ridiculous things, in hopes that it riles up his base, and backtracks when they do not work out. I do not even think Trump believes what he says. For example, when he said woman should be punished for abortion, I do not think he believed that, I just think that Trump thought his base would suport that, immediately changed his position,when he got backlash.

Pandering is not courageous.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:58:37 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:44:59 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Trump is a dreamer, unafraid to express his dreams in a sea of laughter from all others.

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Because, the majority of republican primary voters are supporting him, not laughing at him?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:19:00 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:58:37 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Trump is a dreamer, unafraid to express his dreams in a sea of laughter from all others.

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Because, the majority of republican primary voters are supporting him, not laughing at him?

There are many more laughers.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:26:47 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:19:00 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Well, because Trump has won the majority of republican primary votes, there are more Trump supporters. That s a fact. Unless you think that people are voting him in as a joke?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:33:00 PM
http://abcnews.go.com...

Trump is now regretting going after Heidi Cruz as well.

Now, that Trump is having a bad week, he is backtracking. Trump only "tells it like it is" when he is doing well in the polls.
Overhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:03:23 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:26:47 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Well, because Trump has won the majority of republican primary votes, there are more Trump supporters. That s a fact. Unless you think that people are voting him in as a joke?

Trump has won a minority of votes at 37.11%: https://en.wikipedia.org...

However even if he has a majority in the primaries, not all Republicans vote in the Primaries. Furthermore, not all Americans are Republicans. Extending it even further, Americans are not the only ones who can have views on Trump and laugh at him (He's a figure of mockery various parts of the UK media).

Therefore it's not necessarily wrong to say that he is laughed at more than he is thought well of.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:09:05 PM
At 4/3/2016 8:03:23 PM, Overhead wrote:

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

However even if he has a majority in the primaries, not all Republicans vote in the Primaries. Furthermore, not all Americans are Republicans. Extending it even further, Americans are not the only ones who can have views on Trump and laugh at him (He's a figure of mockery various parts of the UK media).

Therefore it's not necessarily wrong to say that he is laughed at more than he is thought well of.

You tell em! PC doesn't have to mean "Phrases Condemned" anymore!
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:42:05 PM

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Good point about him having a minority of the vote (37%). But, I did specify that "republican primary voters".

I agree a lot of people are laughing at him (rightfully so, because he is a clown). But his message resonates to draw significantly more republican primary votes than any other candidate. Also, just because a republican does not vote for Trump, does not mean they are laughing at him.
Overhead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:44:05 PM
At 4/3/2016 8:42:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

Good point about him having a minority of the vote (37%). But, I did specify that "republican primary voters".

I agree a lot of people are laughing at him (rightfully so, because he is a clown). But his message resonates to draw significantly more republican primary votes than any other candidate. Also, just because a republican does not vote for Trump, does not mean they are laughing at him.

You specified republican primary voters, but Greyparrot didn't in his original statement that you were contesting which is why although it's a point, I don't think it is a valid one that holds as a counter in that particular instance.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:53:51 PM
At 4/3/2016 8:44:05 PM, Overhead wrote:
At 4/3/2016 8:42:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Don't give up!

Are you laughing him?

You specified republican primary voters, but Greyparrot didn't in his original statement that you were contesting which is why although it's a point, I don't think it is a valid one that holds as a counter in that particular instance.

But I was arguing that Trump just cares about votes, and says what he says not because it is "what he believes", but because it riles up his base and gets him votes. If he does worse in the polls and faces backlash, I expect him to backtrack on what he says (as he did this week with his abortion statement and regretting attacking Heidi Cruz).

If he wins the primary, I fully expect him to pivot and become more reasonable, when he realizes he is down in the polls. Trump (more than any other candidate) just cares about causing outrage/riling up people, which annoys me because I am against political correctness.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 12:45:19 AM
PC are nice words to make dishonest, lying, racist, users of minorities feel better about being hypocritical, thieving, slugs.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...