Jump to topic:

The Present System Misidentified

Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:04:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Men look around them and see others, people, just like them, living in squaller and they are saddened. Then they look just a few towns away and see men living in relative opulence, with giant mansions, huge televisions, yachts and expensive jewelery and they are disgusted.

How terrible it is that some men live in the lap of luxury, sometimes barely even working a day in their lives, while others, many working long hours in grueling conditions, live in slums!

These men foolishly believe that this atrocity was the result of the free market. Thusly, they oppose with a vigor known only to those who know that justice is on their side this cruel free market, which has brought about such conditions.

But it is not their fault. They have been told all their lives that "we live in a free-market capitalist system," were they not? Oh, is there a lie any more pernicious than that?

Even libertarians, who ought to know better, have fallen under this spell. They see that free market is a glorious thing. That nothing is more just, more fair and more equitable and so, convinced that today we have what approximates a free market, they defend the system. They say that the gross inequalities of wealth must be simply due to the fact that some men work harder than others, some men are more talented than others, yes that must be it. That explains why things are the way there are, there is no injustice here, carry on.

And so, the true groups of justice-seekers are divided against each other. The one convinced that the free market must be evil, as it produced the present, and the other convinced that the present must be just, after all it is the product of a more-or-less free market.

Oh, what a sorry state things are in.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:13:19 PM
At 11/19/2010 7:04:24 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Men look around them and see others, people, just like them, living in squaller and they are saddened. Then they look just a few towns away and see men living in relative opulence, with giant mansions, huge televisions, yachts and expensive jewelery and they are disgusted.

How terrible it is that some men live in the lap of luxury, sometimes barely even working a day in their lives, while others, many working long hours in grueling conditions, live in slums!

These men foolishly believe that this atrocity was the result of the free market. Thusly, they oppose with a vigor known only to those who know that justice is on their side this cruel free market, which has brought about such conditions.

But it is not their fault. They have been told all their lives that "we live in a free-market capitalist system," were they not? Oh, is there a lie any more pernicious than that?

Even libertarians, who ought to know better, have fallen under this spell. They see that free market is a glorious thing. That nothing is more just, more fair and more equitable and so, convinced that today we have what approximates a free market, they defend the system. They say that the gross inequalities of wealth must be simply due to the fact that some men work harder than others, some men are more talented than others, yes that must be it. That explains why things are the way there are, there is no injustice here, carry on.

And so, the true groups of justice-seekers are divided against each other. The one convinced that the free market must be evil, as it produced the present, and the other convinced that the present must be just, after all it is the product of a more-or-less free market.

Oh, what a sorry state things are in.

Cool. You forgot to mention one of the biggest differences between those of wealth and those without. Don't give us that emotional crap about someone accumulating monetary splendor on an "easy" schedule and a blue-collar laborer working fifty plus hours a week simply to pay the bills on a regular basis.

It's all about connections, association, etc. Men who make these connections and play off of other people generally propel themselves forward in life. While they may generate large sums of money rather quickly, it's ignorant to assume that these people don't work for their money. They must take the time, planning, and have the social skills to form unions with the desired and stay away from the undesired. It's as simple as that. Stop complaining about the plight of the blue-collar when there's a white-collar also facing similar circumstances in today's society. Look at society's perceptions (and yours) of the upper class. Look at the legislation trying to discriminate against the wealthy. Why be wealthy when you can join the middle-class and complain about how tough things are? People always think that the grass is greener on the other side; get over it.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:39:52 PM
At 11/19/2010 7:36:51 PM, Sieben wrote:
^I think reasoning gets that.

That's my point. No offense, but I don't exactly know why he created this thread. Most of us on this website are aware enough to understand the circumstances that surround our lives, and we are certainly knowledgeable of how sorry our world is.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:39:52 PM
At 11/19/2010 7:08:51 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You've adopted a pretty interesting writing style, I've noticed.

I just hope its not going to far in the direction of a certain clb...
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:46:18 PM
At 11/19/2010 7:43:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/19/2010 7:39:52 PM, mongoose wrote:

I'm not following you. I suck at acronyms.
http://www.debate.org...
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:46:26 PM

charleslb
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2010 7:57:13 PM
At 11/19/2010 7:46:26 PM, mongoose wrote:

charleslb

Oh, gotcha.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 8:15:05 PM
I think this was quite well written. I'd probably make a few revisions but I'm rather disappointed that this hasn't received more attention.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 9:28:37 PM
@Reasoning

I don't get your point.

I don't know many Statists who think being rich is inherently evil. I also don't know many libertarians who are happy with the current system.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)