Jump to topic:

The stupidity of Single-Issue Voting

BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:25:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I often hear people say they are single issue voters, that they only vote based on one issue, such as Abortion, Israel, Immigration, Guns, etc. They vote for whoever has the best policy for their stance on that one issue, maybe it's because they are "pro-life" and want only a "pro-life" candidate. However from my experiences, most genuine pro-lifers I speak to are also anti-Death Penalty, Anti-war, and support programs to eradicate poverty (ie Welfare Programs). However when these people vote, they vote for the candidate who is most against abortion, even though these candidates are pro-war, pro-death penalty and Anti-Welfare.
You see the problem?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:48:57 PM
Still waiting for OP to deliver
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:53:09 PM
Original post/er
Title is false advertising

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:58:16 PM
At 4/4/2016 6:53:09 PM, someloser wrote:
Original post/er

Did I not explain my point. When you vote on one issue, you vote against your views.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 7:00:28 PM
At 4/4/2016 6:58:16 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
Original post/er

Did I not explain my point. When you vote on one issue, you vote against your views.

No you did not explain that. Still waiting.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 7:02:11 PM
At 4/4/2016 6:58:16 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
Original post/er

Yeah... that's kind of the point. You value one over the others - sometimes extremely so - ergo, naturally, it is higher up in the priority list.

And it's not even necessarily the case.

Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 7:12:45 PM
Indeed it is pretty stupid--obviously *all* policies should be considered when voting for a political candidate, however it's somewhat common that they're not; especially if that said candidate places particular emphasis on specific issues--in someone like Donald Trump's case for example, it would be immigration.

Another case would be UKIP in the U.K, their primary focus was/is leaving the European--to the extent that they left very little debate for what their other policies actually were, in this circumstance you'd have people voting exclusively on the basis of leaving the E.U and tightening up immigration, without evaluating other policies or taking anything else into account.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 7:41:59 PM
The notion that you should vote for whichever candidate's platform you agree with the most makes no sense, because candidates rarely get to implement everything they stand for anyway. A candidate is lucky if they successfully pass one or two important pieces of legislation during their career. Voters shouldn't expect to get everything they want, they should vote strategically in order to make gradual change, and sometimes that means prioritizing one issue over everything else when improvement in that area is most realistic or most urgently needed.

Moreover, sometimes one issue really is more important than everything else. For instance, Republicans have reason to prioritize immigration reform, because the demographic trend of the country will, if left unchecked, certainly make it harder for them to win elections and pass the sort of legislation they want to see implemented in the future. The huge inflow of Hispanic immigrants threatens to undermine everything they stand for. This is why Ann Coulter describes herself as a "One Issue Voter" (yes, she's sided with Trump).
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 9:37:08 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:25:10 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
I often hear people say they are single issue voters, that they only vote based on one issue, such as Abortion, Israel, Immigration, Guns, etc. They vote for whoever has the best policy for their stance on that one issue, maybe it's because they are "pro-life" and want only a "pro-life" candidate. However from my experiences, most genuine pro-lifers I speak to are also anti-Death Penalty, Anti-war, and support programs to eradicate poverty (ie Welfare Programs). However when these people vote, they vote for the candidate who is most against abortion, even though these candidates are pro-war, pro-death penalty and Anti-Welfare.
You see the problem?

I'm a billionaire running for office. I'm well known and its a tight race. My policies are amazing. They all coincide with yours except for 1.

I'm pro slavery, and I have a plan for integrating prisoners into a slave trade. They will have no rights. Just property like any one else.

Would you vote for me?

If not, I'll just keep coming up with worse policies until you find one that is absolutely unacceptable. That is how single issue voting works. If I support something you won't even risk having, then you won't vote for me.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.