Jump to topic:

Panama Papers

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 11:30:18 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Anyone want to talk about what might be the biggest and - potentially - disastrous leak in a long, long time? Seriously. This reaches Putin, the prime ministers of Pakistan and Iceland, prominent officials in Egypt, Libya, China, and the UK - and that's just to name a few. Are they fake? Real? What ramifications will they have?
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 12:23:04 AM
At 4/4/2016 11:30:18 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Anyone want to talk about what might be the biggest and - potentially - disastrous leak in a long, long time? Seriously. This reaches Putin, the prime ministers of Pakistan and Iceland, prominent officials in Egypt, Libya, China, and the UK - and that's just to name a few. Are they fake? Real? What ramifications will they have?

I know it depends on the country, but how much of this is actually illegal? How many people can expect to go to jail over this?
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 12:44:47 AM
Meh, it's not exactly surprising that you have the super rich hiding their assets in places like Panama--a country well-known for being a tax-haven; these leaks are basically showing just how extensive it is.

In terms of ramifications, I imagine there'll be certain media emphasis placed on Putin's involvement...and the Icelandic Prime Minister is presently being called to resign. It's hard to tell what the long-term impact will be, but considering that this is something directly connected the wealthy/powerful--I can't exactly see any real alterations occurring.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 12:52:20 AM
At 4/5/2016 12:23:04 AM, dylancatlow wrote:

I know it depends on the country, but how much of this is actually illegal? How many people can expect to go to jail over this?

Everything so far revealed I already knew, in abstract. Rich people have bank accounts offshore. The details yet to emerge will no doubt be employed by media to paint that abstract fact in the most lurid terms conceivable - as if Putin, Gadaffi and the Brinks Matt robbers were all in the office together setting up a joint account. I'm not saying hiding money outside the tax jurisdiction you reside in, and do business in is consistent with best practice - but I'm wary of this, 'I pay my thruppence ha'penny every week - so Richie Rich should cough up 40% of his fortune' mentality - not least because, if I were Richie Rich I'd do what I could within the law to minimize my tax liabilities. Anyone would.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 12:55:30 AM
Oh no...Jackie Chan was named *shocked face*
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 2:51:23 AM
At 4/5/2016 12:44:47 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Meh...
...considering that this is something directly connected the wealthy/powerful--I can't exactly see any real alterations occurring.

+1
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 3:23:23 PM

Digging around a bit - http://www.ibtimes.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 5:25:48 PM
At 4/5/2016 3:23:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

4th link in my post 2. But thanks anyway. Think it'll have any impact?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 5:27:03 PM
Meh, it's not exactly surprising that you have the super rich hiding their assets in places like Panama--a country well-known for being a tax-haven; these leaks are basically showing just how extensive it is.

In terms of ramifications, I imagine there'll be certain media emphasis placed on Putin's involvement...and the Icelandic Prime Minister is presently being called to resign. It's hard to tell what the long-term impact will be, but considering that this is something directly connected the wealthy/powerful--I can't exactly see any real alterations occurring.

That's always disappointing. But this is a big thing which has angered a lot of people. Hard to see everyone walking off scot-free.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 5:56:20 PM
At 4/5/2016 5:25:48 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 4/5/2016 3:23:23 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

4th link in my post 2.

Didn't look.

But thanks anyway. Think it'll have any impact?

Absolutely.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 6:10:47 PM
At 4/5/2016 5:27:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

That's always disappointing. But this is a big thing which has angered a lot of people. Hard to see everyone walking off scot-free.

I agree that the magnitude of it is high--in fact the number of documents actually leaked is huge. Again though, I think much of the backlash to it will be media-orientated; I'm not sure how and if those involved can be penalised for anything.

Rigoletto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 6:15:46 PM
At 4/5/2016 6:10:47 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 4/5/2016 5:27:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I agree that the magnitude of it is high--in fact the number of documents actually leaked is huge. Again though, I think much of the backlash to it will be media-orientated; I'm not sure how and if those involved can be penalised for anything.

There is undue worry, it's not a big deal.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 1:54:50 AM

These reporters have an agenda. They aren't dumping certain individuals data on the basis of "harming national security" which is why barely any US clients have been released. We all know that that line is the biggest BS anyone related with politics could say. They're withholding certain information on purpose so that those people's names won't get tarnished. This journalist organization is also Soros linked and funded, which basically solidifies my concerns. Remember, just weeks ago, a top German journalist said that he worked for the CIA as a journalist for 25 years and that he was "educated to lie, to betray, and not to tell the truth to the public." So of course the power structure is not going to allow the real culprits to become exposed, but will divert attention away to Russia and still give the public a taste of controversy.

I think the stuff that is coming out is only the tip of the iceberg.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 6:30:01 PM
I like the theory that this was a CIA plot right from the start due to the lack of American names on the list. I'd like to see the effects in a few weeks just to see who has fallen from grace due to this. Based on the results, we can then establish if it was beneficial to certain interests or not.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Dark-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:06:10 AM

So...if I put money in an offshore account, I'm evil?