Jump to topic:

Winner vs the one you want

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 9:46:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Okay, so say I'm a Bernie fan. And I KNOW that he might beat Hillary, but I also know he wouldn't be able to defeat Trump.

If Hillary has a good chance at beating Trump, and Bernie has almost no chance, and I like Bernie better then Hillary better than Trump....Should I vote for for Bernie or Hillary?

I used those names, but please leave their policies out of this. The same situation could be applied in the general election, if I like an Independent better, but know he/she is unlikely to win. Who do you vote for? The best candidate, or the tied runner up?

Why?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 9:53:42 PM
At 4/5/2016 9:46:35 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
Okay, so say I'm a Bernie fan. And I KNOW that he might beat Hillary, but I also know he wouldn't be able to defeat Trump.

If Hillary has a good chance at beating Trump, and Bernie has almost no chance, and I like Bernie better then Hillary better than Trump....Should I vote for for Bernie or Hillary?

I used those names, but please leave their policies out of this. The same situation could be applied in the general election, if I like an Independent better, but know he/she is unlikely to win. Who do you vote for? The best candidate, or the tied runner up?

Why?

Voting only because you want to defeat the "other guy" has given us George Bush.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 9:59:40 PM

Why?

Why do you think Sanders has no chance of beating Trump when he beats Trump by larger margins than Clinton in every single poll and takes away Trump's advantage with the anti-establishment and independent crowds?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:03:48 PM

Why?

Just vote for Trump. Everyone's doing it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:08:23 PM
At 4/5/2016 9:59:40 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Why?

Why do you think Sanders has no chance of beating Trump when he beats Trump by larger margins than Clinton in every single poll and takes away Trump's advantage with the anti-establishment and independent crowds?

Its hypothetical I was just using names to show a little context.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:10:41 PM

Why?

I think your right though. I might have made the situation sound a little more extreme then intended.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:15:37 PM
At 4/5/2016 10:10:41 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Why?

I think your right though. I might have made the situation sound a little more extreme then intended.

Well...your hypothetical doesn't work. The situation is too specific, and your hypothetical isn't even accurate in this case.

If what you're asking is that: if you really like A, but A has no chance of beating C, whom you hate, and B is okay, and B has a great chance of beating C - then, yes, you should vote for B.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:21:12 PM
At 4/5/2016 10:15:37 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Why?

Well...your hypothetical doesn't work. The situation is too specific, and your hypothetical isn't even accurate in this case.

If what you're asking is that: if you really like A, but A has no chance of beating C, whom you hate, and B is okay, and B has a great chance of beating C - then, yes, you should vote for B.

Did I not accomplish that in the 2nd paragraph? Some people don't like hearing raw variables, so I tried to relate with familiar names then generalize.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:22:17 PM
At 4/5/2016 10:21:12 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Why?

Did I not accomplish that in the 2nd paragraph? Some people don't like hearing raw variables, so I tried to relate with familiar names then generalize.

*3rd
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 10:38:26 PM

Why?

Making it less extreme, Lets make C just be your last choice, not the end of the world. Like if you are an well defined democrat, and he is a republican with a lot of "poor" policy that you don't agree with, but doesn't completely turn you off as a complete detriment to your view of our nation. He's just not the right candidate for you.

Now lets give A a slim but present chance of victory over C, because there is always a chance.

Who do you vote for?