Jump to topic:

The Hypocritical Left

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:11:39 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Paypal has recently canceled a 400 job expansion in my state, citing the recent passage of the "bathroom discrimination" HB 2. "Gender discrimination" (if gender even exists in the first place) is apparently too much for Paypal to tolerate, but open persecution and execution of gays, and suppression of women's rights doesn't seem to be of any issue to them in 25 other countries they have business in.
http://www.breitbart.com...

I'm convinced that all these companies are boycotting solely for the attention and publicity. They obviously don't care about any real human rights issues going on in the countries they rake in the profit from
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 11:45:01 PM
At 4/6/2016 11:11:39 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:
Paypal has recently canceled a 400 job expansion in my state, citing the recent passage of the "bathroom discrimination" HB 2. "Gender discrimination" (if gender even exists in the first place) is apparently too much for Paypal to tolerate, but open persecution and execution of gays, and suppression of women's rights doesn't seem to be of any issue to them in 25 other countries they have business in.

I'm convinced that all these companies are boycotting solely for the attention and publicity. They obviously don't care about any real human rights issues going on in the countries they rake in the profit from

Is the profit-motive not the core of the capitalist project? That this motive drives the economic engine to success? And is not support for capitalism a central tenet of the right?

PayPal's decision to withdraw from North Carolina was made for profit-based reasons. Consumers here are less likely to buy from a company associated with scandals like this. Most consumers are more aware of the North Carolina issue than they are with other things PayPal might do, making it comparatively more damaging to profit margins to remain in North Carolina.

It seems odd, therefore, when the right complains about this type of activity, because it is their support for the profit-motive coming back to bite them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 12:14:53 AM
At 4/6/2016 11:45:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Is the profit-motive not the core of the capitalist project? That this motive drives the economic engine to success? And is not support for capitalism a central tenet of the right?
No and I'm not denying that it is. I'm just noting the extreme hypocrisy that a business would end association in a state that does absolutely nothing compared to other countries Paypal does business in. Therefore taking action here and not in the other places is unacceptable.
PayPal's decision to withdraw from North Carolina was made for profit-based reasons. Consumers here are less likely to buy from a company associated with scandals like this. Most consumers are more aware of the North Carolina issue than they are with other things PayPal might do, making it comparatively more damaging to profit margins to remain in North Carolina.

Here is the official statement from the CEO of Paypal regarding their withdrawal. Nowhere is profit stated as an issue.
https://www.paypal.com...

I'll add that your claim here is completely ridiculous. You think that people are just going to boycott every single business in North Carolina based on a bill that they aren't even associated with?

It seems odd, therefore, when the right complains about this type of activity, because it is their support for the profit-motive coming back to bite them.

Actually no. By all means, go out and make a profit. If you do something like this though and make a business decision completely based on moral belief and you don't uphold that seemingly strong moral belief in your entire business, I'm going to call you out on it and say that you're being disingenuous. I'm actually all for businesses boycotting expanding to places based on extreme violations of moral belief (within reason). That's the beauty of the free market and why the Civil Rights Act is flawed. It's 1000x better to be told by the market that you can't make money and therefore a living when you associate with deplorable beliefs than to be told the same by a piece of paper.

Let me just quote the statement from the CEO:
-"The new law perpetuates discrimination and it violates the values and principles that are at the core of PayPal"s mission and culture,";
-"This decision reflects PayPal"s deepest values and our strong belief that every person has the right to be treated equally, and with dignity and respect. These principles of fairness, inclusion and equality are at the heart of everything we seek to achieve and stand for as a company. And they compel us to take action to oppose discrimination. "

Why are Paypal's deepest values and principles being upheld in one extremely mild instance, but not in the 25 other way more extreme instances where equality literally doesn't exist AT ALL.

I would expect leftists to be all over Paypal for not staying true to its morals, but you seemed to take the root of defending Paypal based on profit concerns, which I must say, is not something I'd expect from someone who appears to be a Bernie supporter.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 12:18:27 AM

Boo hoo. I would rather have a company do right in one out of 10 cases than zero out of ten.
Chang29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 12:34:17 AM
Keep government out of bathrooms, and let property owners determine rules.

Too bad property rights are not the issue. This discussion will be about if a boot to the throat will be left or right over restroom facilities.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:01:57 AM

Isn't not letting men in womens bathrooms good for the safety of women?
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:05:15 AM
At 4/7/2016 1:01:57 AM, Dilara wrote:

Yep
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:08:40 AM
At 4/7/2016 12:14:53 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

No and I'm not denying that it is. I'm just noting the extreme hypocrisy that a business would end association in a state that does absolutely nothing compared to other countries Paypal does business in.

Fine, then it is the business's hypocrisy, but not the left's.

Here is the official statement from the CEO of Paypal regarding their withdrawal. Nowhere is profit stated as an issue.

That profit is not named as a motive does not mean that it is not a motive. It would be naieve to assume that for-profit businesses do not act for profit.

I'll add that your claim here is completely ridiculous. You think that people are just going to boycott every single business in North Carolina based on a bill that they aren't even associated with?

That's not my claim. But, certainly PayPal will be lauded for it's decision to withdraw from North Carolina which get it positive press and keep its name in the headlines. That is good for business.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:28:07 AM
At 4/7/2016 1:08:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:

No and I'm not denying that it is. I'm just noting the extreme hypocrisy that a business would end association in a state that does absolutely nothing compared to other countries Paypal does business in.

Fine, then it is the business's hypocrisy, but not the left's.
There are plenty of other examples. Including Hillary Clinton's claims as a "champion for women with progressive values," while she receives giant donations from nations with the worst human rights conditions on Earth.

That profit is not named as a motive does not mean that it is not a motive. It would be naieve to assume that for-profit businesses do not act for profit.
Did you read the statement? It's not profit based decision in any respect, and was a minor expansion to begin with. Paypal already makes billions of dollars a year, a $3 million expansion won't do very much to their bottom line.

That's not my claim. But, certainly PayPal will be lauded for it's decision to withdraw from North Carolina which get it positive press and keep its name in the headlines. That is good for business.

That's the basis of my claim. The move is purely just for the publicity and is not genuine at all. If it were, Paypal would be boycotting anywhere that violated it's deep moral beliefs of personal freedom from discrimination, which I think would boost their support even more (certainly with me at least) but they won't do so because they would lose significant business. They're BS artists.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:31:00 AM
At 4/7/2016 1:28:07 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
At 4/7/2016 1:08:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Did you read the statement? It's not profit based decision in any respect, and was a minor expansion to begin with. Paypal already makes billions of dollars a year, a $3 million expansion won't do very much to their bottom line.

I hope you don't take everything you read at face value...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Sciguy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 1:47:03 AM

Completely alright! I say That we maintain the idea that if you have a Penis you should use the Men's room, even if you want to be a woman and that if you have a vagina should use the Woman's room, even if you want to be a Man.

I guess it's true what they say, you ain't got da' tools for da' job! Respectfully speaking of course.

It is imperative to the survival of the morals and traditional social standards that we continue to uphold the standard of a sex using their intended restrooms in public. However, it is very clear that we could also solve the problem that most liberals and Transgenders are having by giving them a Gender Neutral Restroom.

However, I also think that you can go ahead and let do with what is to come.
Sciguy, that one guy.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2016 2:11:46 AM

We won't rest until America is completely shameless...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 12:14:21 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/7/2016 1:05:15 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Yep

Than why are the people who complain about rape culture allowing men in our bathrooms ?
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 12:17:33 AM
At 4/7/2016 1:47:03 AM, Sciguy wrote:

Completely alright! I say That we maintain the idea that if you have a Penis you should use the Men's room, even if you want to be a woman and that if you have a vagina should use the Woman's room, even if you want to be a Man.

I guess it's true what they say, you ain't got da' tools for da' job! Respectfully speaking of course.

It is imperative to the survival of the morals and traditional social standards that we continue to uphold the standard of a sex using their intended restrooms in public. However, it is very clear that we could also solve the problem that most liberals and Transgenders are having by giving them a Gender Neutral Restroom.

However, I also think that you can go ahead and let do with what is to come.

We have different bathrooms because of the physical differences between the sexes, so it doesn't matter what you socially identify as, if you are physically a man you should use the mens room.
How about gender neutral bathrooms. There problem solved.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:09:40 AM
At 4/8/2016 12:14:21 AM, Dilara wrote:
At 4/7/2016 1:05:15 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Yep

Than why are the people who complain about rape culture allowing men in our bathrooms ?

No idea. I'm on your side of this issue.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:55:20 AM
At 4/8/2016 2:09:40 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Other issues aside, this is a non-sequitur.
First, let's assume there is a rapist posing as a trans person to get into a bathroom so he can abuse someone. There's a few very flawed assumptions with this:
1. The rapist will somehow be stopped by it being illegal to enter a bathroom.
2. The rapist is smart enough to take advantage of laws, but dumb enough to attempt to harm people in a public restroom.
3. Someone of a different sex in a bathroom will somehow be excused for sexual harassment.
4. Someone of a different sex in a bathroom will somehow not be detectable when sexually harassing others in a public restroom.

There's simply nothing that makes sexual harassment more likely in a public place when allowing people of different sexes to use the same public restrooms. Heck, if I were a business owner, I'd consider making one big unisex bathroom. Saves money.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:22:21 AM
PayPal has reportedly announced it will cancel plans for a $3.6 million expansion in Charlotte, North Carolina as a response to the passage of a bill aimed at protecting women and girls from having their bathroom and shower privacy invaded by biological men.

The backlash against North Carolina has been immense with the NBA threatening to remove its All-Star Game and major corporations making complaints and threats.

While PayPal is offended by the North Carolina law, PayPall is apparently fine allowing its services to be used in countries where homosexuals really are persecuted, some of them unto death.

According to a screenshot taken of the PayPal website and circulated by North Carolina Values Coalition, PayPal does business in Nigeria, Zambia, Yemen, Somalia, and other countries where those who act out same-sex sexual activity are severely punished, including the death penalty, and some that do not even allow public advocacy:

PayPal is not the only corporate hypocrite when it comes to the homosexual agenda. Apple, for instance, has also attacked states that have religious freedom bills that protect individuals and businesses from having to participate in weddings they deem morally objectionable. However, "Apple has numerous Apple Shops and Apple Premium Resellers in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia " one of ten countries in which gays are regularly executed."
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:28:05 AM
At 4/8/2016 3:22:21 AM, Quadrunner wrote:
PayPal has reportedly announced it will cancel plans for a $3.6 million expansion in Charlotte, North Carolina as a response to the passage of a bill aimed at protecting women and girls from having their bathroom and shower privacy invaded by biological men.

This does not address why they are against the bill. It only lists one aspect of the bill

The backlash against North Carolina has been immense with the NBA threatening to remove its All-Star Game and major corporations making complaints and threats.

This doesn't say why they are against the bill.

While PayPal is offended by the North Carolina law, PayPall is apparently fine allowing its services to be used in countries where homosexuals really are persecuted, some of them unto death.

PayPal is an international company. Why are they offended?

According to a screenshot taken of the PayPal website and circulated by North Carolina Values Coalition, PayPal does business in Nigeria, Zambia, Yemen, Somalia, and other countries where those who act out same-sex sexual activity are severely punished, including the death penalty, and some that do not even allow public advocacy:

Hello globalization. Pleased to meet you.

PayPal is not the only corporate hypocrite when it comes to the homosexual agenda. Apple, for instance, has also attacked states that have religious freedom bills that protect individuals and businesses from having to participate in weddings they deem morally objectionable. However, "Apple has numerous Apple Shops and Apple Premium Resellers in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia " one of ten countries in which gays are regularly executed."

This does not say how apple has attacked states, or why it supposedly attacked them. Again, we see a company dealing with a foreign country that happens to have different laws then we do.

What is this entire article supposed to be about?

I got nothing.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:12:11 AM
At 4/8/2016 2:55:20 AM, SolonKR wrote:

First, let's assume there is a rapist posing as a trans person to get into a bathroom so he can abuse someone. There's a few very flawed assumptions with this:
2. The rapist is smart enough to take advantage of laws, but dumb enough to attempt to harm people in a public restroom.
3. Someone of a different sex in a bathroom will somehow be excused for sexual harassment.
4. Someone of a different sex in a bathroom will somehow not be detectable when sexually harassing others in a public restroom.

There's simply nothing that makes sexual harassment more likely in a public place when allowing people of different sexes to use the same public restrooms. Heck, if I were a business owner, I'd consider making one big unisex bathroom. Saves money.

I completely agree. There's absolutely no point in bathroom regulation, and Charlotte started the whole deal by placing down bathroom regulations which prompted Raleigh to slap down more regulations to counteract their regulations. In the end, both regulations are politically motivated to garner support for the respective parties in the upcoming election-it's complete propaganda.

The one part of me that disagrees with you is that allowing Transgenders to go where they please despite their sex normalizes the concept of allowing males to enter female bathrooms and vise versa, and I don't like that.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:16:22 AM
At 4/8/2016 3:28:05 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

This does not address why they are against the bill. It only lists one aspect of the bill

This does not say how apple has attacked states, or why it supposedly attacked them. Again, we see a company dealing with a foreign country that happens to have different laws then we do.

I got nothing.

Paypal protesting a very benign issue whilst turning a blind eye to very extreme human rights issues in 25 other countries they do business in. You really couldn't deduct that?
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:23:15 AM
At 4/8/2016 4:12:11 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:
I completely agree. There's absolutely no point in bathroom regulation, and Charlotte started the whole deal by placing down bathroom regulations which prompted Raleigh to slap down more regulations to counteract their regulations. In the end, both regulations are politically motivated to garner support for the respective parties in the upcoming election-it's complete propaganda.

There's always some political motivation for any action, but that doesn't mean that there aren't valid drives behind wanting to "open" bathrooms, so to speak. From my perspective, bathrooms are just places for excrement; there isn't any reason I see that it matters who uses what bathroom, and I don't see any constitutional issues, either--businesses are not subject to the same freedoms that individuals are. In my view, if using the other bathroom makes some people feel happier, and as there aren't any potentially terrible consequences to doing so, let them do it.

The one part of me that disagrees with you is that allowing Transgenders to go where they please despite their sex normalizes the concept of allowing males to enter female bathrooms and vise versa, and I don't like that.

There are people that don't like many concepts, but that doesn't mean that they're inherently bad. I see no problem with completely unisex bathrooms in the future.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:24:06 AM
At 4/8/2016 4:16:22 AM, walker_harris3 wrote:

I got nothing.

Paypal protesting a very benign issue whilst turning a blind eye to very extreme human rights issues in 25 other countries they do business in. You really couldn't deduct that?

Reread the article. It never actually says they are protesting "protecting women and girls from having their bathroom and shower privacy invaded by biological men."

Its so poorly written, I'm forced to discount it as probable propaganda. I refuse to accept writing like that as useable in anyway but against the writer's reputation.

According to the article they were against the bill, not necessarily the issue. The bill must now be defined. The bill was not defined. Therefore, we cannot assume they were are against the issue, until we find out exactly what the entire bill consists of. It could be they were against something else within the bill, independent of the information stated in the article. We don't know though since the bill is not defined and the article does not state why the company is against it.

Typically a company will provide a reason for being against something. Where is it?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 6:13:46 AM
Likely just an excuse for the company to move away and save face. You get better publicity from a moral statement like this, than having an article discuss all the lay offs they had to do to move to a place where they could hire cheap labor.

It was a smart move by the public relations department to take focus off of the selfish motivations of the company. (Not that selfishness is bad)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 6:17:54 AM
At 4/8/2016 2:55:20 AM, SolonKR wrote:

First of all the government should not be making bathroom policies, but I think the bigger concern is some fat dude walking into the little girls rest room and exposing himself to children, and the cops having their hands tied because he supposedly identifies as transgender.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:14:27 PM
At 4/8/2016 4:24:06 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

I got nothing.

Reread the article. It never actually says they are protesting "protecting women and girls from having their bathroom and shower privacy invaded by biological men."

Its so poorly written, I'm forced to discount it as probable propaganda. I refuse to accept writing like that as useable in anyway but against the writer's reputation.

According to the article they were against the bill, not necessarily the issue. The bill must now be defined. The bill was not defined. Therefore, we cannot assume they were are against the issue, until we find out exactly what the entire bill consists of. It could be they were against something else within the bill, independent of the information stated in the article. We don't know though since the bill is not defined and the article does not state why the company is against it.

Typically a company will provide a reason for being against something. Where is it?

You're a big boy, do you're own research. I'm pretty surprised that you aren't aware of the bill and it's implications, it's been all over the news lately.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:22:21 PM

The first response is the correct one.

Don't go complaining to a Corp for making divisions best to their success.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:02:20 PM
At 4/8/2016 2:14:27 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:
At 4/8/2016 4:24:06 AM, Quadrunner wrote:

I got nothing.

You're a big boy, do you're own research. I'm pretty surprised that you aren't aware of the bill and it's implications, it's been all over the news lately.

http://money.cnn.com...
https://www.yahoo.com...

My call is they had second thoughts within the company, saw a good opportunity to cover a bad thing up, and took it. The bill fits the bill. Its harmful, or at least pretty stupid to a lot of people. No ones really cares if it doesn't pass, but people do care if it goes through successfully and it associates PayPal with something we consider to be progressive. That's how business goes. We win. Pay Pal wins. Everyone wins.

Hypocritical left seems like a bit of a stretch. I can't really see that the company is hypocritical either. The current CEO just took his position last year. For all we know the company is just changing. My opinion is that the company is being what it considers will bring it the most success.

That's all speculation though.
Reformist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 6:49:51 PM

Because doing something like gender and sex discrimination can be changed in the States and they are hopeful that those things can be changed. Most of the countries that do repress women and gays are doing it out of culture and PayPal knows they cant change that
DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 7:01:30 PM
At 4/8/2016 6:17:54 AM, Wylted wrote:
First of all the government should not be making bathroom policies, but I think the bigger concern is some fat dude walking into the little girls rest room and exposing himself to children, and the cops having their hands tied because he supposedly identifies as transgender.

Why shouldn't they? What separates a public restroom from other public facilities?

Also, who said anything about making that legal or granting some sort of immunity from prosecution? That sort of consequence doesn't logically follow from simply allowing each gender to use the other's bathroom.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 7:24:11 PM
At 4/8/2016 7:01:30 PM, SolonKR wrote:
At 4/8/2016 6:17:54 AM, Wylted wrote:

Why shouldn't they? What separates a public restroom from other public facilities?

Also, who said anything about making that legal or granting some sort of immunity from prosecution? That sort of consequence doesn't logically follow from simply allowing each gender to use the other's bathroom

There is atleast some expectation to see another man's penis when you use the men's room. I fon't think some pervet making sure little girls get a glance at his penis is punishable if you make it a law saying it is okay for them to use the women's room.

I'd say if the public owns the restroom such as in a park, regulating it is fine, but if you consuder walmart a public restroom and want to regulate their bathrooms, you've crossed a line.

There is a healthy conpromise between both sides on this, but neither side would go for it.

Just like the handicapped register for handicap spots, we could have transgenders regustered to insure nobody abuses the bathroom policies allowing transgendered into the opposite bathroom