Jump to topic:

Carter???

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:15:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Jimmy Carter gets a bad wrap, but he was not that bad.

I think he set up the economic success in Reagan and Clintons terms.

I think Reagan was one of the worse Presidents in history.

What do you think?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:26:45 PM
I agree with you the only thing Regan did good was the Star-Wars program and even that was a failure Jimmy Carter improved the technology of our fair nation and also was the first with a truly green agenda (he installed soar cells on the White House hoping that others would follow suit but unfortunately after his term some stupid politicians decided to take them down simply because they were tacky) Carter should get more recognition . . . hail the neutron bomb . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:29:28 PM
At 11/20/2010 6:26:45 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I agree with you the only thing Regan did good was the Star-Wars program and even that was a failure Jimmy Carter improved the technology of our fair nation and also was the first with a truly green agenda (he installed soar cells on the White House hoping that others would follow suit but unfortunately after his term some stupid politicians decided to take them down simply because they were tacky) Carter should get more recognition . . . hail the neutron bomb . . .

Yeah, Reagan had "Fake Tax Cuts" then raised taxes higher then ever.

Reagan was bad.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:30:20 PM
Apparently, Jimmy Carter is the only President to have not dropped a single bomb (or initiate any military action for that matter).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:31:43 PM
At 11/20/2010 6:29:28 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 11/20/2010 6:26:45 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Yeah, Reagan had "Fake Tax Cuts" then raised taxes higher then ever.

Reagan was bad.

mmm hmmm . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:32:59 PM
At 11/20/2010 6:30:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Apparently, Jimmy Carter is the only President to have not dropped a single bomb (or initiate any military action for that matter).

Good point!
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 6:43:44 PM
Carter was a man who definitely valued peace over anything else. He had one of the toughest jobs in relations to the oil crisis, energy intake, environment resources, etc. He really valued harmony and tranquil cohabitation.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 7:34:32 PM
At 11/20/2010 6:43:44 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Carter was a man who definitely valued peace over anything else. He had one of the toughest jobs in relations to the oil crisis, energy intake, environment resources, etc. He really valued harmony and tranquil cohabitation.

You better believe it!!! (telemarketing reflexes)
Minister Of Trolling
:
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2010 8:20:42 PM
Carter > Reagan
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 5:31:27 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 10:29:49 AM
I'm guessing none of you were alive during the Carter years. You have no idea how terrible things were during his time. 20% interest rates, and everyone had the crappiest cars on the road, because no one could afford a new one with those interest rates. We also had an oil embargo against us so we had gas rationing; imagine that you could only get gas on certain days of the week depending on your license plate. His "detente" with the Soviet Union empowered them to enter Afghanistan and step up their Latin American activities. The arms race was horribly managed by Carter, and of course Iran. We had 52 diplomats held hostage for 444 days. I can remember the yellow ribbons around trees everywhere. We were horribly demoralized as a nation. Then when he tried an operation to rescue them it failed miserably in the desert. Carter was the biggest failure imagination can concoct. Reagan was hailed as a great leader mostly our of contrast. Each of those points that i brought up against Carter was corrected by Reagan, and the biggest was how we felt about ourselves. We were a beaten people under Carter, and Reagan changed that.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:11:32 PM
At 11/21/2010 10:29:49 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm guessing none of you were alive during the Carter years. You have no idea how terrible things were during his time. 20% interest rates, and everyone had the crappiest cars on the road, because no one could afford a new one with those interest rates. We also had an oil embargo against us so we had gas rationing; imagine that you could only get gas on certain days of the week depending on your license plate. His "detente" with the Soviet Union empowered them to enter Afghanistan and step up their Latin American activities. The arms race was horribly managed by Carter, and of course Iran. We had 52 diplomats held hostage for 444 days. I can remember the yellow ribbons around trees everywhere. We were horribly demoralized as a nation. Then when he tried an operation to rescue them it failed miserably in the desert. Carter was the biggest failure imagination can concoct. Reagan was hailed as a great leader mostly our of contrast. Each of those points that i brought up against Carter was corrected by Reagan, and the biggest was how we felt about ourselves. We were a beaten people under Carter, and Reagan changed that.

Carter > Regan
Minister Of Trolling
:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:23:05 PM
At 11/21/2010 12:11:32 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Carter > Regan

moronic statement. Carter was a mega one term failure.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:28:43 PM
At 11/21/2010 12:23:05 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/21/2010 12:11:32 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Carter > Regan

moronic statement. Carter was a mega one term failure.

Chuck Norris endorsed . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:35:11 PM
At 11/21/2010 5:31:27 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

According to the Wiki article, it was the Illuminati, not Carter.

"President Carter's national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski (Illuminati), was quoted as saying that the U.S. effort to aid the mujahideen was preceded by an effort to delibrately draw the Soviets into a costly and presumably distracting Vietnam War-like conflict."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:38:19 PM
At 11/21/2010 12:35:11 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

"President Carter's national security advisor, Zbigniew Brzezinski (Illuminati), was quoted as saying that the U.S. effort to aid the mujahideen was preceded by an effort to delibrately draw the Soviets into a costly and presumably distracting Vietnam War-like conflict."

Seriously?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:53:19 PM

That is just so wrong at so many levels. Geo, Carter was an abysmal failure. Carter had nothing to do with any aid to the Muhajadeen, see Charlie Wilson's war.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 12:55:51 PM
At 11/21/2010 12:53:19 PM, innomen wrote:

That is just so wrong at so many levels. Geo, Carter was an abysmal failure. Carter had nothing to do with any aid to the Muhajadeen, see Charlie Wilson's war.

Hey, tell that to the Wikipedia article.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 1:00:12 PM
At 11/21/2010 12:55:51 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/21/2010 12:53:19 PM, innomen wrote:

Hey, tell that to the Wikipedia article.

Yeah, of course, it's never wrong. Brzezinski may have said it, but do you believe it? It's total rubbish.
OrionsGambit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 12:51:11 AM

The Soviet Union was broken and ready to collapse, and them entering Afghanistan made the final push. So if allowing them to enter Afghanistan was the wrong course, I don't know what the right course should have been. Likewise their Latin American influence was largely established throughout the 60s and early 70s, before Carter was in office.

20% interest rates on a $2,500 dollar car when the income was $15,000...yeah, so horrible. And the oil embargo was put in place by OPEC in support of Iran. I assume that you wished Carter had gone to war with the OPEC nations in order to retrieve the oil? And the hostage releases were delayed by certain individuals within the US government in order to help Reagan defeat Carter in the election.

Mr. Carter's peace mindset was both his friend and enemy it seems.
Noblesse Oblige
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 1:48:31 AM
At 11/22/2010 12:51:11 AM, OrionsGambit wrote:

The Soviet Union was broken and ready to collapse, and them entering Afghanistan made the final push. So if allowing them to enter Afghanistan was the wrong course, I don't know what the right course should have been. Likewise their Latin American influence was largely established throughout the 60s and early 70s, before Carter was in office.

Detente under Carter with Brezhnev emboldened the Soviets globally. It wasn't until Reagan that they were pushed backward. Had Carter's policies remained in tact there is no reason to think that the Soviets would have buckled as they had.

20% interest rates on a $2,500 dollar car when the income was $15,000...yeah, so horrible.

Yeah, so terrible no one bought a car during that period, and i can remember the crappy cars being driven, or breaking down on the side of the road.

And the oil embargo was put in place by OPEC in support of Iran. I assume that you wished Carter had gone to war with the OPEC nations in order to retrieve the oil?
I would have preferred that he managed the Iranian revolution better. He was a miserable failure in foreign policy.

And the hostage releases were delayed by certain individuals within the US government in order to help Reagan defeat Carter in the election.

Prove that. We had zero influence over the Iranian revolutionaries. Carter was a weak failure. Remember that weakness is always more provocative than strength.

Mr. Carter was an idiot internationally. His "peace mindset" ultimately was responsible for more deaths due to his policies than a lot of other presidents.
I'd be very happy to debate this or any US/USSR cold war policy/history.
OrionsGambit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 2:02:09 AM
At 11/22/2010 1:48:31 AM, innomen wrote:

Detente under Carter with Brezhnev emboldened the Soviets globally. It wasn't until Reagan that they were pushed backward. Had Carter's policies remained in tact there is no reason to think that the Soviets would have buckled as they had.

20% interest rates on a $2,500 dollar car when the income was $15,000...yeah, so horrible.

Yeah, so terrible no one bought a car during that period, and i can remember the crappy cars being driven, or breaking down on the side of the road.

And the oil embargo was put in place by OPEC in support of Iran. I assume that you wished Carter had gone to war with the OPEC nations in order to retrieve the oil?
I would have preferred that he managed the Iranian revolution better. He was a miserable failure in foreign policy.

And the hostage releases were delayed by certain individuals within the US government in order to help Reagan defeat Carter in the election.

Prove that. We had zero influence over the Iranian revolutionaries. Carter was a weak failure. Remember that weakness is always more provocative than strength.

Mr. Carter was an idiot internationally. His "peace mindset" ultimately was responsible for more deaths due to his policies than a lot of other presidents.

It's 4am and I'm tired. So all I can say is that if my Great Grandmother's 1978 Chevy Caprice Classic wasn't bought in 1978 (it was), how am I still driving it around? Did a magic car fairy drop it off for me?

And the CIA had reported that the Soviet union had lol'd itself into collapse before Carter took office. The War in Afghanistan was the nail in the coffin the US (CIA) set them up in. I think it was the last op the CIA got right, seeing as they've failed miserably at everything since then.
Noblesse Oblige
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 2:25:40 AM
At 11/22/2010 2:02:09 AM, OrionsGambit wrote:
At 11/22/2010 1:48:31 AM, innomen wrote:

It's 4am and I'm tired. So all I can say is that if my Great Grandmother's 1978 Chevy Caprice Classic wasn't bought in 1978 (it was), how am I still driving it around? Did a magic car fairy drop it off for me?

Ah yes, my first car was a '78 Chevy Nova, fast car when it didn't rain and the carburetor didn't need help. Actually some of the cars were decent, but that's not the point. Soon after Carter left office and our economy began to heal from his nonsensical policies we began to see new cars on the road because interest rates were normalized. BTW my second car was a K-Car from my grandmother.

And the CIA had reported that the Soviet union had lol'd itself into collapse before Carter took office. The War in Afghanistan was the nail in the coffin the US (CIA) set them up in. I think it was the last op the CIA got right, seeing as they've failed miserably at everything since then.

That's just not right. Trust me on this stuff...i don't know much but i know this. The Soviet Union was kept alive by Carter and destroyed by Reagan due to their massive differences in policy. The final nail was SDI (despite anything any leftist might say), see the Helsinki accord. Read up on Detente and get back to me. You will see the massive errors in foreign policy made by Carter that enabled the Soviets to float. By the way, how do you think that all the problems that i outlined under Carter were solved, or went away? Odd how that is always missing in leftist history.

I almost forgot, the department of education was put together under Carter and federalized. Since then our test scores have been in steady decline.
OrionsGambit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 3:55:45 AM
At 11/22/2010 2:25:40 AM, innomen wrote:
I almost forgot, the department of education was put together under Carter and federalized. Since then our test scores have been in steady decline.

*eyeroll* I'll get into the rest of your false issues when I'm not asleep, however I wanted to point two things out real quick. 1.) The Dept. of Education was "federalized" and came into being in 1953. I was unaware Mr. Carter was President for 27 years. 2.) It didn't became its own cabinet level position until after Mr. Carter was no longer President. So how could Mr. Carter use it to ruin our education when Mr. Reagen was the one running it when it first came into existence (unless we're assuming Reagan = Carter is disguise).
Noblesse Oblige
OrionsGambit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 3:57:50 AM
At 11/22/2010 3:55:45 AM, OrionsGambit wrote:

*eyeroll* I'll get into the rest of your false issues when I'm not asleep, however I wanted to point two things out real quick. 1.) The Dept. of Education was "federalized" and came into being in 1953. I was unaware Mr. Carter was President for 27 years. 2.) It didn't became its own cabinet level position until after Mr. Carter was no longer President. So how could Mr. Carter use it to ruin our education when Mr. Reagen was the one running it when it first came into existence (unless we're assuming Reagan = Carter is disguise).

Correction; 1867. I didn't know Mr. Carter served as President for 112 years and was apparently some sort of sorcerer or immortal.
Noblesse Oblige
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 6:06:25 AM
At 11/22/2010 3:57:50 AM, OrionsGambit wrote:
At 11/22/2010 3:55:45 AM, OrionsGambit wrote:

Correction; 1867. I didn't know Mr. Carter served as President for 112 years and was apparently some sort of sorcerer or immortal.

Of course i am referring to the current Department of Education: which was put together by "and signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on October 17, 1979". http://en.wikipedia.org... From that came the wonderful DEO Act of 1980, although Reagan was in office for a couple months, this was a Carter creation that slipped by him via congress http://en.wikipedia.org... Even if you detracted his horrific influence on education he would still prove to be nothing but an abject failure as a president.

He was an abysmal president by any measure, and those who hail him as being a good president are woefully ignorant and adhere to the Neville Chamberlain doctrine of foreign policy - peace at any cost. Moronic. Debate me.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 9:51:59 AM
At 11/22/2010 9:47:02 AM, Ren wrote:
...is the man.

I don't even care to read whatever is in this thread.

Jimmy Carter is the f*cking man.

Abject failure.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 9:53:15 AM
At 11/22/2010 6:06:25 AM, innomen wrote:
Of course i am referring to the current Department of Education: which was put together by "and signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on October 17, 1979". http://en.wikipedia.org... From that came the wonderful DEO Act of 1980, although Reagan was in office for a couple months, this was a Carter creation that slipped by him via congress http://en.wikipedia.org... Even if you detracted his horrific influence on education he would still prove to be nothing but an abject failure as a president.

He was an abysmal president by any measure, and those who hail him as being a good president are woefully ignorant and adhere to the Neville Chamberlain doctrine of foreign policy - peace at any cost. Moronic. Debate me.

...but, since this was right above my post and I happen to glance over it, I think it deserves a reply.

Our current Department of Education is a tragic fail, this is true. However, the bill to which you're referring, which is the Department of Education Organization Act, was essentially the very bill that led to standardized literacy rather than the previous National Bureau of Education, which led to 20 years of intimidation from Russia because their middle schoolers knew algebra while ours couldn't explain a preposition.

It also led to the education of women, minorities, and migrants; governmental standards for education; increased funding for post secondary school (which led to our colleges and universities rising to be among the very best in the world); increased accountability; and the further dissemination of knowledge, among other things.

Despite the fact that this country is full of lazy morons, that bill is what in part makes Carter a hero.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 9:53:42 AM
At 11/22/2010 9:51:59 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/22/2010 9:47:02 AM, Ren wrote:
...is the man.

I don't even care to read whatever is in this thread.

Jimmy Carter is the f*cking man.

Abject failure.

Conjecture.