Jump to topic:

Left and Right

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:29:10 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I've seen many people, when talking about politics/beliefs, mention either themselves or someone else being in the "right wing" or "left wing".

Now, I'd never really heard of those two terms before DDO, and I have no idea what they are.
What is the right wing? What kind of people are in the right wing? What does the right wing believe/support?
What is the left wing? What kind of people are in the left wing? What does the left wing believe/support?
What is the difference between the two?
Are there more wings I've never heard of?

I'd appreciate answers from someone who isn't gonna give me an answer that is very biased towards one side. Sure, you can be a little biased, but don't talk about your wing like it's better than Heaven and speak of the other wing as if even the devil fears it.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
BrendanD19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:28:32 PM
At 4/8/2016 2:29:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:
I've seen many people, when talking about politics/beliefs, mention either themselves or someone else being in the "right wing" or "left wing".

Now, I'd never really heard of those two terms before DDO, and I have no idea what they are.
What is the right wing? What kind of people are in the right wing? What does the right wing believe/support?
What is the left wing? What kind of people are in the left wing? What does the left wing believe/support?

I'd appreciate answers from someone who isn't gonna give me an answer that is very biased towards one side. Sure, you can be a little biased, but don't talk about your wing like it's better than Heaven and speak of the other wing as if even the devil fears it.

Really? You've never heard those terms before?
It all refers to the political spectrum. I would just read the wiki page if I were in you shoes, as a good place to start
https://en.wikipedia.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:42:49 PM

Right wing = No Government Intervention in the economy (taxation) + Government intervention in private affairs (Gay Marriage, Abortion)

Left Wing = Government intervention in the economy + No Government intervention in private affairs

Libertarian Wing = No Government Intervention in the economy AND private affairs

Fascist Wing = Government Intervention in the economy AND private affairs
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 3:49:51 PM
I used to consider myself right wing and a republican but I think the party of small government yet intruding in people's lives is hypocritical. Even though I remain pro-life, I guess I consider myself as a Libertarian...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:13:44 PM

The Left Wing is the side that wants redistribution of wealth from taxing the rich and using that money to provide for the poor. They believe that equality in the United States as exists today is insufficient and that the feminist, LGBT, and #blacklivesmatter movements, as well as others, need to successfully advance their causes.
This is more or less what Left-Wing means. The Right Wing believes that prosperity should be earned through hard work, that the poor do not have a right to welfare money taken from the public, and that those who become wealthy should not be heavily taxed just because they have a lot of money. That is, people determine their own socioeconomic status (within limits) and that the government should not interfere in this natural process. The Right believes that social equality in the United States is sufficient at current levels and that movements like modern day feminism and #blacklivesmatter harm more than they help.
In short, the Left-Wing wants what it sees as being total equality in all spheres of society. The Right-Wing believes that the cost of this equality is too high and that the current system is fine.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:14:37 PM
*earned through hard work and good decision making
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:17:52 PM
At 4/8/2016 4:14:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Left wings believe that the have the right to take away money from people even though they have done nothing illegal and it's justified by saying it isn't fair
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:24:01 PM
At 4/8/2016 4:13:44 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

The Left Wing is the side that wants redistribution of wealth from taxing the rich and using that money to provide for the poor. They believe that equality in the United States as exists today is insufficient and that the feminist, LGBT, and #blacklivesmatter movements, as well as others, need to successfully advance their causes.
This is more or less what Left-Wing means. The Right Wing believes that prosperity should be earned through hard work, that the poor do not have a right to welfare money taken from the public, and that those who become wealthy should not be heavily taxed just because they have a lot of money. That is, people determine their own socioeconomic status (within limits) and that the government should not interfere in this natural process. The Right believes that social equality in the United States is sufficient at current levels and that movements like modern day feminism and #blacklivesmatter harm more than they help.
In short, the Left-Wing wants what it sees as being total equality in all spheres of society. The Right-Wing believes that the cost of this equality is too high and that the current system is fine.

Vaara ok if you want to understand the real difference, liberals follow more of Rousseau society and the right is based on more Locke/Adam Smith ideals of you look them up
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 4:30:31 PM

It comes from the wings of the French legislature. Typically, the forces represented the church, nobility, monarchy, and overarching ancien regime sat on the right. On the left were secularists and republicans. At its core, it is an 'establishment vs revolutionary' designation, but has been so perverted by misuse that it's pretty much useless as a system of classification. People use stupid logic like 'the Democrats are secularist, so that means that they're left wing'. But for whatever reason, that argument doesn't apply to Stalinists. Despite revolutionizing German and Italian politics completely and destroying traditional society, fascists are seen as 'right wing'. It's a really crappy system that's basically fodder for political poo-slinging contests.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 8:06:34 PM
At 4/8/2016 4:30:31 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

It comes from the wings of the French legislature. Typically, the forces represented the church, nobility, monarchy, and overarching ancien regime sat on the right. On the left were secularists and republicans. At its core, it is an 'establishment vs revolutionary' designation, but has been so perverted by misuse that it's pretty much useless as a system of classification. People use stupid logic like 'the Democrats are secularist, so that means that they're left wing'. But for whatever reason, that argument doesn't apply to Stalinists. Despite revolutionizing German and Italian politics completely and destroying traditional society, fascists are seen as 'right wing'. It's a really crappy system that's basically fodder for political poo-slinging contests.

Yah it's not a good way to analyze politics anymore.

A better way are things like political compasses.

The terms left and right don't really describe fully what goes on when someone is for democracy, or totalitarianism, for small government or big government, for traditions based on religions, or social contracts based on science.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 8:22:27 PM
At 4/8/2016 4:17:52 PM, Sam7411 wrote:

Left wings believe that the have the right to take away money from people even though they have done nothing illegal and it's justified by saying it isn't fair

You completely f'Ed this up. Let me fix it for you.

Right wings believe that the have the right to take away money from people even though they have done nothing illegal. Left wing believe they have right to take even more.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 8:25:19 PM

The left and right wing concept is a little hard to grasp, and I doubt you'll fully understand it unless you spend a little more time on this site, in addition to look more into political thought.

As mentioned by someone else, the 'left and right wing' concept came from France. The left wing liberals would support concepts such as progression, free markets, egalitarianism, or democracy, while the right would support adhering to tradition with a stronger and larger government. It's been distorted quite a bit ever since though, especially because modern day liberals gave the implication that "progressivism" means to progress into collectivism.

It's really hard to determine what really is left or right wing on a social scale. But on an economic scale, it's a little easier to understand. The left would mean more economic collectivism, while the right would lean towards more economic individualism. And then the authoritarian/libertarian scale would determine how much of a role the government should play in the economy.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:31:39 PM

whether they made it legally or illegally is irrelvent in whether it should be done
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:36:58 PM
At 4/8/2016 3:49:51 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
I used to consider myself right wing and a republican but I think the party of small government yet intruding in people's lives is hypocritical. Even though I remain pro-life, I guess I consider myself as a Libertarian...
Libertarians are split on abortion.
RookieApologist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:45:51 PM
You will also see left be used interchangeably with Democrat and/or Liberal and right be used interchangeably with Republican and/or Conservative. Although all of the terms aren't necessarily accurate, it will still help identify them.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:51:05 PM
At 4/8/2016 10:31:39 PM, Hayd wrote:

whether they made it legally or illegally is irrelvent in whether it should be done

It is relevant, the government has no right to take away what isn't theirs
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:53:07 PM
At 4/8/2016 10:51:05 PM, Sam7411 wrote:

but this is not relevant to the thread right now so lets move on
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 10:54:09 PM

If people are using it to oppress the majority of the population, yes. Capitalism has become feudalism. Instead of the nobles oppressing the serfs, its the capitalist oppressing the proletarian
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:05:54 PM
At 4/8/2016 10:54:09 PM, Hayd wrote:

If people are using it to oppress the majority of the population, yes. Capitalism has become feudalism. Instead of the nobles oppressing the serfs, its the capitalist oppressing the proletarian

Ok well, it is obvious that you are confusing capitalism with feudalism, which, I admit, isn't an easy thing to do. Because feudalism is a social system, not an economic system, whee basically peasants were bound to their lords through labor and harvest in exchange for military protection, and the lords owned all the land. Capitalism is an economic system where businesses and trade are privately owned
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:06:06 PM

The economic left and right spectrum regards to the level of intervention in economic matters. Farthest left is communist, and farthest right is laissez-faire capitalist. Economic left and right have no causation to social views, but most left wingers tend to be more socially liberal or progressive, and right wingers tend to be a bit more traditionalist.

That doesn't mean, though - that all left wingers are degenerative hippies and all right wingers are Ted Cruz. You can be an AnCap (very socially liberal laissez-faire capitalist - see Locke; Rand). You can be a Stalinist or Maoist (economic communist with very authoritarian rule).

So if you wanted to chart out the remaining Presidential candidates on a chart with economic intervention and social liberalism, authoritarianism, etc - I made this when I was bored: keep in mind that authoritarianism vs. libertarianism here also includes things like foreign policy - http://www.politicalcompass.org...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:08:27 PM
Actually Bench had a good explanation, that was unbiased.

If we are usingvjust two points on a political spectrum of left and right, mine is correct. When referring to a 4 point interpretation, his is correct
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:11:43 PM
At 4/8/2016 11:05:54 PM, Sam7411 wrote:

Ok well, it is obvious that you are confusing capitalism with feudalism, which, I admit, isn't an easy thing to do. Because feudalism is a social system, not an economic system, whee basically peasants were bound to their lords through labor and harvest in exchange for military protection, and the lords owned all the land. Capitalism is an economic system where businesses and trade are privately owned

Exaggerating the "evils" of capitalism is BS. Is it perfect? no. But, capitalism is the only system where standards of living, wealth, etc. are the most successful and the only system where your decisions can determine your wages, jobs without another group of people deciding what you have, which, in reality gives them power of you and your life since they are the supposed 'moral compass' of the country
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:14:57 PM
At 4/8/2016 11:06:06 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

The economic left and right spectrum regards to the level of intervention in economic matters. Farthest left is communist, and farthest right is laissez-faire capitalist. Economic left and right have no causation to social views, but most left wingers tend to be more socially liberal or progressive, and right wingers tend to be a bit more traditionalist.

That doesn't mean, though - that all left wingers are degenerative hippies and all right wingers are Ted Cruz. You can be an AnCap (very socially liberal laissez-faire capitalist - see Locke; Rand). You can be a Stalinist or Maoist (economic communist with very authoritarian rule).

So if you wanted to chart out the remaining Presidential candidates on a chart with economic intervention and social liberalism, authoritarianism, etc - I made this when I was bored: keep in mind that authoritarianism vs. libertarianism here also includes things like foreign policy - http://www.politicalcompass.org...

^
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:12:10 AM

You're blatantly misunderstanding everything I said. One of the first social structures was feudalism. It was eventually abolished and replaced with capitalism because the social structure was too fixed. Serfs couldn't move up ranks in society, it was unfair. They replaced it with capitalism, where you could move up and down. After time, those at the top of society oppressed those on the bottom. We see this today; 99% of the nations wealth is held by 1% of the population. The best example is in industrial England. Workers would go to the factories and work 12 hours a day for less than a dollar, all their work goes to the owner of the business, and they get minimally back in return. How are those on the bottom able to move in the social structure? They can't, they need a job so their children can't starve, the only job they can get is at the factory. They aren't able to create their own businesses, become entrepreneurs because they can't afford education. Just as the select few nobles oppressed the majority of serfs, marginal amount of their work is distributed back to them, the rest goes to the noble. This happens in capitalism, the business owner/capitalist (noble) oppresses the proletarian (surf). Thus, socialism steps in to abolish the capitalist and all the products of the work is equally distributed among the workers.

Socialism is not a system where industries are privately and governmentally owned. Socialism equally distributes the products among the workers. Capitalism takes the products of work and hordes it among the select few and leeches off the majority
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:14:43 AM

#thirdway
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:47:36 AM

Did you forget to respond...?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:57:30 AM

If you take this rest - you can chart where you are on a political compass and get a better idea of what is right and what is left - that way.
https://www.politicalcompass.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:58:47 AM
At 4/8/2016 3:42:49 PM, imabench wrote:

Right wing = No Government Intervention in the economy (taxation) + Government intervention in private affairs (Gay Marriage, Abortion)

Left Wing = Government intervention in the economy + No Government intervention in private affairs

Libertarian Wing = No Government Intervention in the economy AND private affairs

Fascist Wing = Government Intervention in the economy AND private affairs
Best description I ever heard explained so concisely!
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 2:48:08 AM
At 4/9/2016 12:12:10 AM, Hayd wrote:

You're blatantly misunderstanding everything I said. One of the first social structures was feudalism. It was eventually abolished and replaced with capitalism because the social structure was too fixed. Serfs couldn't move up ranks in society, it was unfair. They replaced it with capitalism, where you could move up and down. After time, those at the top of society oppressed those on the bottom. We see this today; 99% of the nations wealth is held by 1% of the population. The best example is in industrial England. Workers would go to the factories and work 12 hours a day for less than a dollar, all their work goes to the owner of the business, and they get minimally back in return. How are those on the bottom able to move in the social structure? They can't, they need a job so their children can't starve, the only job they can get is at the factory. They aren't able to create their own businesses, become entrepreneurs because they can't afford education. Just as the select few nobles oppressed the majority of serfs, marginal amount of their work is distributed back to them, the rest goes to the noble. This happens in capitalism, the business owner/capitalist (noble) oppresses the proletarian (surf). Thus, socialism steps in to abolish the capitalist and all the products of the work is equally distributed among the workers.

Socialism is not a system where industries are privately and governmentally owned. Socialism equally distributes the products among the workers. Capitalism takes the products of work and hordes it among the select few and leeches off the majority

Sorry, to save my breath I'm just going to forward you this link to the debate I'm having vs. stealspell debating on Bernie Sanders. I'm in le process of typing my argument now which basically has the same points