Jump to topic:

Private Business Racism

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:25:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Should it be against the law for a completely private business to turn people down based on race, ethnicity, religion etc. Better yet is it the role of the Federal Government to make a law saying business can't discriminate.

My personal opinion is that it's not the Federal Governments place. Not according to the constitution or common sense. If a private business wants to do that, so be it, no one will support the business and it will fail. I believe the overwhelming majority of people aren't racist and we should let people do what they want, even if we don't agree with them.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:28:20 PM
I am inclined to think that all private business and organisations that deal with the general public should be permitted to discriminate so long as they publish this fact clearly.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:31:42 PM
Should people be allowed to ban black people from their homes? If that should be allowed, then discrimination by private businesses must also be allowed. Private business are not "public" places--they are private property, and like any other form of private property, the owner has the right to decide who may or may not use it.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:32:01 PM
Forced integration has historically lead to violence. Think the 1870s to the 1970s.

People have a right to be racist as they have a right to be Marxist or American liberal. Their rights end when they threaten or harm person or property. Therefore, the answer to both is no.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:34:29 PM
At 11/21/2010 7:28:20 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I am inclined to think that all private business and organisations that deal with the general public should be permitted to discriminate so long as they publish this fact clearly.

A group that discriminates does not deal with the general public.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:36:53 PM
At 11/21/2010 7:34:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:

. . . that's why bigots are on the endangered species list . . . lack of genetic diversity . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:46:31 PM
At 11/21/2010 7:36:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

. . . that's why bigots are on the endangered species list . . . lack of genetic diversity . . .

There's still an alarmingly large number of them.

If its private, and the EVERYONE involved agrees to be involved, they should be allowed to have any policy they wish so long as it does not break any laws. They can't say rape is legal in the area, nor can they say that torture is allowed, or anything like that, but if they want to say they don't want chinese people there, fine so be it this is america, and as Peter Griffon always said
"We will have equal rights for all. Except blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, gays, women, Muslims. Uhmm...Everybody who's not a white man. And I mean white-white, so no Italians, no Polish, just people from Ireland, England, and Scotland. But only certain parts of Scotland and Ireland. Just full blooded whites. No, you know what? Not even whites. Nobody gets any rights. Ahhh...America!"
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:51:40 PM
I just brought it up because people were attacking Rand Paul implying he was somehow racist Just because he supports the rights of people to be racist.

Thats what I get for thinking American mainstream media opinions carry any weight hah
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 7:57:37 PM
At 11/21/2010 7:46:31 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/21/2010 7:36:53 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

There's still an alarmingly large number of them.

If its private, and the EVERYONE involved agrees to be involved, they should be allowed to have any policy they wish so long as it does not break any laws. They can't say rape is legal in the area, nor can they say that torture is allowed, or anything like that, but if they want to say they don't want chinese people there, fine so be it this is america, and as Peter Griffon always said
"We will have equal rights for all. Except blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, gays, women, Muslims. Uhmm...Everybody who's not a white man. And I mean white-white, so no Italians, no Polish, just people from Ireland, England, and Scotland. But only certain parts of Scotland and Ireland. Just full blooded whites. No, you know what? Not even whites. Nobody gets any rights. Ahhh...America!"

. . . wait till we get into space . . . out the airlock they go . . . to meet the source of life on earth and much of Sol's gravity . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2010 8:11:13 PM
At 11/21/2010 7:51:40 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I just brought it up because people were attacking Rand Paul implying he was somehow racist Just because he supports the rights of people to be racist.

Thats what I get for thinking American mainstream media opinions carry any weight hah

People on this site have at least 10 points above the average IQ or they don't last (see cjl for examples of not lasting)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 4:23:42 AM

By definition they do, otherwise they would not be able to discriminate.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 6:02:30 AM
At 11/21/2010 7:25:19 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Should it be against the law for a completely private business to turn people down based on race, ethnicity, religion etc. Better yet is it the role of the Federal Government to make a law saying business can't discriminate.

My personal opinion is that it's not the Federal Governments place. Not according to the constitution or common sense. If a private business wants to do that, so be it, no one will support the business and it will fail. I believe the overwhelming majority of people aren't racist and we should let people do what they want, even if we don't agree with them.

Couple of things.

1: Proving that you didn't get a job or didn't get a promotion due explicitly to race is difficult. Say what you want about racists but their attitude has reached a point where they can now instinctively know when they need to cover their collective a$sses.

2: Implimenting the above metaphorical legislation will make it ripe for abuse. People can, will and do use their race to their advantage, just because not everyone does it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, which means you could have hard-working people of any race overshadowed and being led by underqualified peple of different race who are only there because of their race. Therefore anti-racism legislation will only beget more racism, just of a different sort.

3: It ultimately doesn't matter what colour your skin is when you think about money. Big businesses exist to make money. If they find a potential manager or director or CEO who they believe can earn them big bucks then do you really think they'll give a hoot that he's black or asian or from pluto?
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 6:36:57 AM
I recall the following facts, more or less

During the 40's, apartment owners used to advertise in papers. Sometimes they would include "no blacks need apply". It was common but not prevalent. The historian measured this level of discrimination by counting the number of inches of discriminatory adds in newspapers.

A few years later, rent control was imposed. This basically means that monetary competition among consumers was outlawed. Discriminatory adds skyrocketed. The historian concluded that if prices can't allocate goods and services, something else will.

Later, after the rent controls were relaxed, the discriminatory adds dropped back down. Not to zero, so there was still racism on the market, but significantly less than the alternative scenario.
Things that are so interesting:

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 9:41:50 AM
At 11/22/2010 6:36:57 AM, Sieben wrote:
I recall the following facts, more or less

During the 40's, apartment owners used to advertise in papers. Sometimes they would include "no blacks need apply". It was common but not prevalent. The historian measured this level of discrimination by counting the number of inches of discriminatory adds in newspapers.

A few years later, rent control was imposed. This basically means that monetary competition among consumers was outlawed. Discriminatory adds skyrocketed. The historian concluded that if prices can't allocate goods and services, something else will.

Later, after the rent controls were relaxed, the discriminatory adds dropped back down. Not to zero, so there was still racism on the market, but significantly less than the alternative scenario.

The RITDH Party promotes racism.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2010 10:54:39 AM
Consider this.

You are the owner of a manufacturing company that exports its products worldwide and you have a vacancy for a sales representative to cover the Middle East.

You could employ a Muslim but he would find it difficult to sell to customers in Israel.

You could employ a Jew but he wouldn't even be allowed into some Islamic countries.

However, you wouldn't be allowed to 'discriminate' against either and could (at least here in the UK) face prosecution if you decided their ethnicity or religion would render them unsuitable for the position.

Certainly you couldn't place an advert in the Situations Vacant columns that read anything like:

BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

Experienced sales representative required to build upon existing customer base. Frequent overseas travel required.

Salary: Highly Competitive.

Muslims and Jews need not apply.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...