Total Posts:54|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

New Korean Crisis

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 2:58:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's all kicked off on the Korean peninsula again – North Korea have attacked the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong:

http://www.cnn.com...

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

This just days after it was reported that North Korea are building a new, state-of-the-art nuclear enrichment plant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

How should the rest of the world respond?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:48:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 2:58:09 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
It's all kicked off on the Korean peninsula again – North Korea have attacked the South Korean island of Yeonpyeong:

http://www.cnn.com...

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk...

This just days after it was reported that North Korea are building a new, state-of-the-art nuclear enrichment plant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

How should the rest of the world respond?
Anything but provocations. A war would be devastating.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:50:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hmmm . . . lets assassinate Kim Jong Il
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 7:44:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:55:20 AM, Sieben wrote:
Lets simulate it using a game of Risk, because that's how geopolitics works.

Ever play diplomacy?
Caramel
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:15:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's hard to criticize the N. Koreans when our country is so screwed up... I would think that all the N. Koreans are after is to be like us - the only difference is that we defeated our South.

We don't have the right to criticize them for anything - certainly not owning nukes!
no comment
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:21:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:15:54 AM, Caramel wrote:
It's hard to criticize the N. Koreans when our country is so screwed up... I would think that all the N. Koreans are after is to be like us - the only difference is that we defeated our South.

That is amazingly egocentric. People are not the same all over the world.


We don't have the right to criticize them for anything - certainly not owning nukes!
We have as much right as anyone else does. Criticism is hardly an international offense.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:23:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hm, brian, so you DID know about the attack when crafting this topic:

http://www.Debate.org...

Interesting...
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:24:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:50:12 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Hmmm . . . lets assassinate Kim Jong Il

Hmm...for once you said something of value. I wish he would get assassinated.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:27:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:24:40 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:50:12 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Hmmm . . . lets assassinate Kim Jong Il

Hmm...for once you said something of value. I wish he would get assassinated.

I hope you all realize that the resulting civil war sparked by military in-fighting would be worse than rule by Kim Jong-Il. Rogue generals trying to sell weapons of mass destruction to fund their private armies. Millions of refugees streaming across the Chinese border. Kim Jong-Un (Jong-Il's son) increasing repression to try to hold onto power.

Not fun.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:29:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:27:23 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:24:40 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:50:12 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Hmmm . . . lets assassinate Kim Jong Il

Hmm...for once you said something of value. I wish he would get assassinated.

I hope you all realize that the resulting civil war sparked by military in-fighting would be worse than rule by Kim Jong-Il. Rogue generals trying to sell weapons of mass destruction to fund their private armies. Millions of refugees streaming across the Chinese border. Kim Jong-Un (Jong-Il's son) increasing repression to try to hold onto power.

Not fun.

Idealistically, the entire regime would collapse and North Koreans would have freedom and Juche would no longer exist. Oh, how I wish...
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:29:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm thinking were heading into a war

http://www.cnn.com...

And you know as soon as south korea enters a war the US will jump in and back them, with the opportunity to take down north korea.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:32:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:29:52 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
I'm thinking were heading into a war

http://www.cnn.com...

And you know as soon as south korea enters a war the US will jump in and back them, with the opportunity to take down north korea.

That very well could be accurate. It would be mega mistake. I'm guessing the Chinese are watching closely, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but the Chinese have no vested interest in a war in that region.
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:36:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:55:20 AM, Sieben wrote:
Lets simulate it using a game of Risk, because that's how geopolitics works.

No, let's simulate it using a game of StarCraft, because that's how South Korea works.
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 11:38:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:36:11 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:55:20 AM, Sieben wrote:
Lets simulate it using a game of Risk, because that's how geopolitics works.

No, let's simulate it using a game of StarCraft, because that's how South Korea works.

lolol this
OrionsGambit
Posts: 258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 12:27:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:29:04 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:27:23 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:24:40 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:50:12 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Hmmm . . . lets assassinate Kim Jong Il

Hmm...for once you said something of value. I wish he would get assassinated.

I hope you all realize that the resulting civil war sparked by military in-fighting would be worse than rule by Kim Jong-Il. Rogue generals trying to sell weapons of mass destruction to fund their private armies. Millions of refugees streaming across the Chinese border. Kim Jong-Un (Jong-Il's son) increasing repression to try to hold onto power.

Not fun.

Idealistically, the entire regime would collapse and North Koreans would have freedom and Juche would no longer exist. Oh, how I wish...

The Military leadership is in more control of the government then either of Kim elder or Kim younger. At this point the military is simply paying lip service.
Noblesse Oblige
OrionsGambit
Posts: 258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 12:54:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:32:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:29:52 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
I'm thinking were heading into a war

http://www.cnn.com...

And you know as soon as south korea enters a war the US will jump in and back them, with the opportunity to take down north korea.

That very well could be accurate. It would be mega mistake. I'm guessing the Chinese are watching closely, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but the Chinese have no vested interest in a war in that region.

O.o

The area is of great interest to China, economically, politically, and militarily and has been for the last 2,000+ years of history. If a conflict results, China will do one of three things:
1.) Join the conflict on the side of North Korea, using it as a basis to retake Taiwan and force the United States into the conflict the Pentagon is uneasy about taking even now as it's a match they theoretically can't win.
2.) Join the conflict on the side of South Korea, sweep the North Korea leadership out the door, seize as much territory as it can due to the large amount of untapped resources, and incorporate as much of the North Korean population as they can. This would also result in an increase in good relations with South Korea.
3.) Sit back and laugh to the bank. Their pesky and occasionally annoying little brother in the northeast will be destroyed, the United States and South Korea will be weakened economically and militarily, and they can begin with more vigor (assuming they back South Korea without actually intervening), without any cost to them.

'1' and '3' are most likely, depending on who ends up making the decision, the Chinese military leadership or the Chinese civilian leadership, and how radical the interior leadership wishes to be.
Noblesse Oblige
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 3:32:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 12:54:55 PM, OrionsGambit wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:32:30 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/23/2010 11:29:52 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
I'm thinking were heading into a war

http://www.cnn.com...

And you know as soon as south korea enters a war the US will jump in and back them, with the opportunity to take down north korea.

That very well could be accurate. It would be mega mistake. I'm guessing the Chinese are watching closely, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but the Chinese have no vested interest in a war in that region.

O.o

The area is of great interest to China, economically, politically, and militarily and has been for the last 2,000+ years of history. If a conflict results, China will do one of three things:
1.) Join the conflict on the side of North Korea, using it as a basis to retake Taiwan and force the United States into the conflict the Pentagon is uneasy about taking even now as it's a match they theoretically can't win.
2.) Join the conflict on the side of South Korea, sweep the North Korea leadership out the door, seize as much territory as it can due to the large amount of untapped resources, and incorporate as much of the North Korean population as they can. This would also result in an increase in good relations with South Korea.
3.) Sit back and laugh to the bank. Their pesky and occasionally annoying little brother in the northeast will be destroyed, the United States and South Korea will be weakened economically and militarily, and they can begin with more vigor (assuming they back South Korea without actually intervening), without any cost to them.

'1' and '3' are most likely, depending on who ends up making the decision, the Chinese military leadership or the Chinese civilian leadership, and how radical the interior leadership wishes to be.

You should read this.
http://yaleglobal.yale.edu...
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 4:45:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 11:15:54 AM, Caramel wrote:
It's hard to criticize the N. Koreans when our country is so screwed up... I would think that all the N. Koreans are after is to be like us - the only difference is that we defeated our South.

We don't have the right to criticize them for anything - certainly not owning nukes!

*facepalm*
kfc
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:26:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?

lolnotme
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:30:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:27:51 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll, looks like it's time to hit the ol' dusty trail.

only if you can give me a bad joke song.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:31:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?

I would, though I highly doubt they would. They didn't draft for either gulf war, nor for iraq or afghan, why would korea be different?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:31:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?

Me
kfc
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:33:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yeah, if more people leave, that opens up jobs for those looking for work, meaning more opportunity. And where are they gonna go? Really? Which of our border nations have such open immigration policies?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2010 6:41:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/23/2010 6:31:36 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 11/23/2010 6:25:32 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Who here would stay if the U.S. started drafting people for another Korean War?

Me

The army doesn't issue KFC rations.