Jump to topic:

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 10:33:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
John Oliver is a British comedian who became well known for standing in for Jon Stewart at the Daily Show. His weekly show discusses a wide range of topics in a satirical matter, informing the audience while being hilarious. He talks about a lot of issues that I would have never considered and thought of, ie food waste, sex ed, government funding of stadiums, etc. I would recommend watching some of his videos on YouTube. Some may consider this topic as entertainment but a lot of these topics deal with the government and we should be more aware of what our tax dollars go towards and what our congressmen work with everyday-
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 10:39:42 PM
i like the guy a lot. When Stewart left the Daily Show, I instead migrated over to John Oliver's show rather than keep watching the Trevor Noah guy
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 10:56:11 PM
Truly, entertainment is taking the place of traditional means of educating people.

Just realize that satire and other types of ridicule aren't any more free from spin than any other source of news.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:07:10 PM
At 4/12/2016 10:56:11 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Truly, entertainment is taking the place of traditional means of educating people.

Just realize that satire and other types of ridicule aren't any more free from spin than any other source of news.

Go Trump! The master showman.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:11:40 PM
At 4/12/2016 10:56:11 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

I actually see it as education is now taking the place of traditional means of educating people.

Just realize that through the efforts made by that show, John Oliver has created more awareness over multiple issues than any other show or news organization has. I think that actually it is rather clever to be able to combine everyday issues with actual solutions while be entertaining as well...
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:17:26 PM
Just realize that you are still receiving heavily filtered information.

Also, mocking and scoffing tends to give people an undeserved sense of smug that gets in the way of refining.

Not trying to discourage you from watching a show you find entertaining and/or informative.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:42:50 PM
At 4/12/2016 11:17:26 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Just realize that you are still receiving heavily filtered information.

Also, mocking and scoffing tends to give people an undeserved sense of smug that gets in the way of refining.

Not trying to discourage you from watching a show you find entertaining and/or informative.

Frankly, I don't think you have ever watched any of his episodes besides the one on Trump, which was brilliant and factual by the way. I think you allude to possible political leanings that John Oliver has. But, the issues he discusses are not very PC, and unlike what some presidential candidates have proclaimed, have actually created discussions that both sides of the table have refused to discuss.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:44:45 PM
I don't believe you have sufficient information to make such assumptions.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:50:05 PM
At 4/12/2016 11:44:45 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I don't believe you have sufficient information to make such assumptions.

Ahh but I do. Not only have I watched multiple episodes of his, but I research the topics that he discusses and I discover that they have been completely accurate and have told both sides of the story.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2016 11:53:58 PM
Well, you sure do assume a lot about the type of television I watch. You also seem to be implying that I would be motivated to watch a comedy news program based on some alleged fetish I have with Donald Trump.

If you assume that much about me, well...
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:03:56 AM
At 4/12/2016 11:53:58 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Well, you sure do assume a lot about the type of television I watch. You also seem to be implying that I would be motivated to watch a comedy news program based on some alleged fetish I have with Donald Trump.

If you assume that much about me, well...

You construe my words. I said that you probably have watched only the episode on Trump. I was implying that you may have been a little "disenfranchised" by the show because I know you favor him. I was simply hoping that you would maybe look at some more of his videos, most of which do not have anything to do with the presidential race or party politics. Asking to perhaps watch a few episodes has nothing to do with assuming they television you watch
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:10:14 AM
That isn't really the way I do things.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 12:39:50 AM
At 4/13/2016 12:10:14 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
That isn't really the way I do things.

Don't respond to a fair and clear statement with a vague line that doesn't pertain to the subject. c'mon

what is the way you really do things then?
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:21:22 AM
At 4/13/2016 1:05:13 AM, Torton wrote:
He's alright, but there's a reason CURRENT YEAR and just in general his show have been memed to death.
No one can replace Jon Stewart, though.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:03:06 AM
At 4/13/2016 2:21:22 AM, Torton wrote:
He's alright, but there's a reason CURRENT YEAR and just in general his show have been memed to death.

He did though for like a summer
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:15:45 AM
At 4/13/2016 4:03:06 AM, Sam7411 wrote:

Who, Trevor? I meant no one could reach Stewart's heights.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 4:18:42 AM
At 4/13/2016 4:15:45 AM, Torton wrote:

Oh. Yeah he's kind of a drag....
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 2:39:04 PM
Last Week Tonight is the reason DDO isn't the first thing I do on Mondays after school.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2016 3:07:42 PM
At 4/13/2016 4:15:45 AM, Torton wrote:

Jon Stewart took time off rom the Daily show to film a movie about a journalist who was imprisoned in Iran. While he was directing, he let John Oliver host the show in his absence, and Oliver did a terrific job...... A lot of people, including me, thought and expected that Oliver would be made next-in-line to host the show after Stewart, and CBS even tried to hire Oliver to host the Late-Late show, With another Daily-Show star, Colbert, hosting the Late show right before https://en.wikipedia.org...(comedian)#The_Daily_Show_with_Jon_Stewart

It only took 3 months for Oliver to get a show on HBO after hosting the Daily Show for about 8 weeks, so I have no doubts that Oliver would have been just as good as Stewart if he became the next host. The Daily Show completely blew it by not retaining Oliver in their lineup, either on the Daily Show hosted by Noah, or the old slot COlbert used to hold that is now hosted by Wilmore
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015