Jump to topic:

Increased TSA screen is beneficial?

Bipolarmoment
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 2:15:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think everyone in the US is in one way or another aware of the backlash of the latest increase in intrusive security screenings.

What I would like to see is an actual numerical breakdown of both the effectiveness before the increased screening and the perceived (or actual) effectiveness of the increased scrutiny. This can also include numbers prior to the creation of the TSA but it is likely irrelevant.

Essentially what I'm asking for a cost-benefit analysis (i.e. business case) of whether this increased scrutiny is a net positive. Costs are a factor but since many people would not appreciate putting a specific dollar amount on a human life that can be considered a separate category independent of the monetary cost: For example, a study done by 3 professors at Cornell (http://aem.cornell.edu...) proposes that the reduction in willingness to fly after increased scrutiny (due in part to the attack on the world trade center in 2001) approximately 129 died in one quarter as a result of traveling by automobile instead.

I'm not volunteering for a debate, but I would suggest that it is likely the cost of employment, equipment, passenger time, lives lost and throughput greatly exceeds the potential efficacy of the increased security. I.e. a terrible business model.

What say ye? Anyone run across numbers that back or deny my assertion?