Total Posts:40|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Post your fav Trump Strawman!

Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:38:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

Trump speaks the truth even when it isn't politically correct
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:39:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

The establishment is scared because Trump wants real change
Runn92
Posts: 324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:41:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:38:23 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

Trump speaks the truth even when it isn't politically correct

That's not a straw man. That actually is true.......
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:41:53 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

Trump will make America great again
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:42:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:39:55 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

The establishment is scared because Trump wants real change

That's not a strawman, you might want to revise it to say something like, "Trump wants to burn the establishment and start a nuclear war"
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 3:44:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:41:53 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

Trump will make America great again

Again, say what you really mean. "Trump is the devil!"
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:47:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

But some are good people.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:52:29 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:47:07 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

But some are good people.

You can't use the word "some" as a strawman. Try to be more extreme please.
TheFlex
Posts: 1,745
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 4:58:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:40:42 PM, TheFlex wrote:
http://imgur.com...

Trump couldn't nimbly navigate his way out of a Jeb Bush rally.

Fix'd.
Better?
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 5:00:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 4:52:29 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 4:47:07 PM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

But some are good people.

You can't use the word "some" as a strawman. Try to be more extreme please.

On one issue at least, Trump is just like the rest of the men in this country, he also wants to sleep with his daughter, Ivanka.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 5:40:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Trump says that all women are fat, ugly, slobs and that all Muslims are terrorists that don't deserve to live in America!!!!!!

topkek lel
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Trump is literally Hitler
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 8:30:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Trump wants to deport all Muslims!

Trump wants to strip Muslims of their citizenship!

Trump wants to deport all Latinos, even the legal ones!
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:04:57 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 5:05:43 PM, TheFlex wrote:
This thread has helped me realize that I'm really bad at (purposefully) straw-manning.
);

You don't have to be creative, just take clips from the media. It's a very easy game to play.

For instance, I just turned on the TV to CNN and listened to some Trump protesters.

Found another awesome strawman!

Trump supports people who murder Latinos because he is holding a rally near the site of a murdered Latino!

That's an AMAZING strawman!
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:17:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Drumpf thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

Trump is a fascist...oops, that one's true.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an argument that is made to be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore doesn't qualify as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then trump checks all the boxes.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,207
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 9:27:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an Drumph that must be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore qualifies as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then the Media checks all the boxes.

Fixed.
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 10:36:51 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 9:27:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an Drumph that must be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore qualifies as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then the Media checks all the boxes.

Fixed.

Pardon?
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:04:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Trump is the American Hitler
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2016 11:29:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 3:36:30 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I'll start!

Trump thinks all Mexicans are rapists...go!

This thread is not working out as you intended.

Sorry about that.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 12:00:32 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an argument that is made to be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore doesn't qualify as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then trump checks all the boxes.

Lol, maybe if an illiterate person is doing the box-checking. Trump isn't traditionalist, he doesn't have a technology fetish, he doesn't stoke eternal war (his mantra is to 'get the hell out' of the Middle East), he's often called for more forethought when it comes to foreign than people like Cruz. I'd say that Cruz fits the mold better, but, as Eco points out, just having a few of the traits doesn't make you a fascist, as they're often shared with other movements. Even though I despise Cruz, he's not a fascist, he's a reactionary, and Trump is a nationalist.

The facile attempts to paint Trump as a 'fascist' are hilarious, and the best part is that it's completely counterproductive. The only people who are going to agree are those who already despise Trump and are swamped in confirmation bias. To any independent-minded person, reductio ad hitlerum just makes the person who resorts to it look like a moron.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 1:04:59 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 12:00:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an argument that is made to be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore doesn't qualify as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then trump checks all the boxes.

Lol, maybe if an illiterate person is doing the box-checking. Drumpf isn't traditionalist, he doesn't have a technology fetish, he doesn't stoke eternal war (his mantra is to 'get the hell out' of the Middle East), he's often called for more forethought when it comes to foreign than people like Cruz. I'd say that Cruz fits the mold better, but, as Eco points out, just having a few of the traits doesn't make you a fascist, as they're often shared with other movements. Even though I despise Cruz, he's not a fascist, he's a reactionary, and Drumpf is a nationalist.

The facile attempts to paint Drumpf as a 'fascist' are hilarious, and the best part is that it's completely counterproductive. The only people who are going to agree are those who already despise Drumpf and are swamped in confirmation bias. To any independent-minded person, reductio ad hitlerum just makes the person who resorts to it look like a moron.

Just read the essay
http://www.pegc.us...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 1:11:58 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 1:04:59 AM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 12:00:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:24:36 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:20:10 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/14/2016 9:18:52 PM, BrendanD19 wrote:
At 4/14/2016 5:58:41 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Drumpf is literally Hitler

That is reductio ad hitlerum, not a strawman

No it's a strawman. I heard him called Hitler and a fascist on the media, so it qualifies.

1) A Strawman is an argument that is made to be defeated. Calling him a Fascist therefore doesn't qualify as a strawman.
2) If you use Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism, then trump checks all the boxes.

Lol, maybe if an illiterate person is doing the box-checking. Drumpf isn't traditionalist, he doesn't have a technology fetish, he doesn't stoke eternal war (his mantra is to 'get the hell out' of the Middle East), he's often called for more forethought when it comes to foreign than people like Cruz. I'd say that Cruz fits the mold better, but, as Eco points out, just having a few of the traits doesn't make you a fascist, as they're often shared with other movements. Even though I despise Cruz, he's not a fascist, he's a reactionary, and Drumpf is a nationalist.

The facile attempts to paint Drumpf as a 'fascist' are hilarious, and the best part is that it's completely counterproductive. The only people who are going to agree are those who already despise Drumpf and are swamped in confirmation bias. To any independent-minded person, reductio ad hitlerum just makes the person who resorts to it look like a moron.

Just read the essay
http://www.pegc.us...

I have. You're taking one of the most nuanced, interesting analyses of fascism to ever be written and hamfistedly ramming it into a sophomoric political narrative.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -