Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Do you support a woman's contraceptive rights

Runn92
Posts: 324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 2:07:20 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

Do they have a right to have the state force taxpayers or their employer to pay for it though?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 2:08:12 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

http://www.debate.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ILoveSitarMusic
Posts: 225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 2:15:02 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
There you go only caring about money. Women have the right to their own bodies. My body, my right to choose.
Runn92
Posts: 324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:36:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 2:15:02 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
There you go only caring about money. Women have the right to their own bodies. My body, my right to choose.

You're body, you're right to choose... also you're responsibility to pay for
random_noob
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?
Runn92
Posts: 324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????
Impartial
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2016 8:56:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I think those who disagree are probably so stuck in the dark ages that they don't have access to the internet and therefore no access to this forum. Sorry.
To believe is to know nothing.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 3:14:37 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/15/2016 8:56:07 PM, Impartial wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I think those who disagree are probably so stuck in the dark ages that they don't have access to the internet and therefore no access to this forum. Sorry.

That's okay, I got me a 300 baud modem. Contraception is evil.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 3:20:46 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 3:14:37 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 8:56:07 PM, Impartial wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I think those who disagree are probably so stuck in the dark ages that they don't have access to the internet and therefore no access to this forum. Sorry.

That's okay, I got me a 300 baud modem. Contraception is evil.

+1
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 4:11:01 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

What contraceptive is an abortifacient? If that was the case, by mere definition, it would already not be a contraceptive any more.

Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, whereas an abortifacient is used to terminate an existing pregnancy. There is a big difference.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 5:56:38 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 4:11:01 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

What contraceptive is an abortifacient? If that was the case, by mere definition, it would already not be a contraceptive any more.

The pill and the morning after pills certainly are. They change the lining of the womb to make it unreceptive to a fertilized egg. Thus it is an abortifacient.

Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, whereas an abortifacient is used to terminate an existing pregnancy. There is a big difference.

Except when one of the methods that it uses to prevent pregnancy intentionally causes the death of an unfertilized egg.
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 6:20:17 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 3:20:46 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:14:37 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 8:56:07 PM, Impartial wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I think those who disagree are probably so stuck in the dark ages that they don't have access to the internet and therefore no access to this forum. Sorry.

That's okay, I got me a 300 baud modem. Contraception is evil.

+1

Fricken Catholics man.............
WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 10:00:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 5:56:38 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/16/2016 4:11:01 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

What contraceptive is an abortifacient? If that was the case, by mere definition, it would already not be a contraceptive any more.

The pill and the morning after pills certainly are. They change the lining of the womb to make it unreceptive to a fertilized egg. Thus it is an abortifacient.

They are not classed as abortifacients. "Some people get confused and think that emergency contraceptive pills, or morning after pills, are the same as "abortion pills". They aren"t. Emergency contraception is used to prevent pregnancy before it begins, and works primarily or perhaps exclusively by delaying or inhibiting ovulation; it does not cause an abortion." (http://ec.princeton.edu...)

Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, whereas an abortifacient is used to terminate an existing pregnancy. There is a big difference.

Except when one of the methods that it uses to prevent pregnancy intentionally causes the death of an unfertilized egg.

So an unfertilized egg is a 'alive' now? So any male that masturbates is a mass murderer? I will believe that when a women can become pregnant without a man's sperm, and when a man's sperm can become a child without a woman's egg. Otherwise, I would not call it 'alive'.

Just to put this into a 'religious' point of view, 'God' causes the majority of miscarriages, around 30%-50%.

And according to the Bible an abortion is absolutely fine, induced by cursed bitter water (Numbers 5:11-28). And condoned by God.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 2:15:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 10:00:43 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 5:56:38 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/16/2016 4:11:01 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

What contraceptive is an abortifacient? If that was the case, by mere definition, it would already not be a contraceptive any more.

The pill and the morning after pills certainly are. They change the lining of the womb to make it unreceptive to a fertilized egg. Thus it is an abortifacient.

They are not classed as abortifacients. "Some people get confused and think that emergency contraceptive pills, or morning after pills, are the same as "abortion pills". They aren"t. Emergency contraception is used to prevent pregnancy before it begins, and works primarily or perhaps exclusively by delaying or inhibiting ovulation; it does not cause an abortion." (http://ec.princeton.edu...)

This is because they narrowly define an abortion as the removal of the fetus After implantation.

Dr. James Trussell, Director of Princeton"s Office of Population Research, makes the statement in an academic review on the drug dated February 2013 and co-authored with Dr. Elizabeth G. Raymond.

"To make an informed choice, women must know that [emergency contraceptive pills] " prevent pregnancy primarily by delaying or inhibiting ovulation and inhibiting fertilization, but may at times inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg in the endometrium," they write.

https://www.lifesitenews.com...

Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, whereas an abortifacient is used to terminate an existing pregnancy. There is a big difference.

Except when one of the methods that it uses to prevent pregnancy intentionally causes the death of an unfertilized egg.

So an unfertilized egg is a 'alive' now? So any male that masturbates is a mass murderer? I will believe that when a women can become pregnant without a man's sperm, and when a man's sperm can become a child without a woman's egg. Otherwise, I would not call it 'alive'.

My apologies that is wrong, it should have read fertilized egg. I was doing too many things at once when I posted this.

Just to put this into a 'religious' point of view, 'God' causes the majority of miscarriages, around 30%-50%.

Who cares? I didn't bring God into this. It is disingenuous to conclude that because a large number of people naturally die that we have licence to kill as many as we want of those who don't. Otherwise one would have to argue that it is morally acceptable to kill centenarians because God calls a large percentage of that group home every year.

And according to the Bible an abortion is absolutely fine, induced by cursed bitter water (Numbers 5:11-28). And condoned by God.

Once again, off topic.

If you feel you must, make your argument. I've refuted it often in the past.
WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 2:29:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 2:15:20 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/16/2016 10:00:43 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 5:56:38 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/16/2016 4:11:01 AM, WAM wrote:
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

What contraceptive is an abortifacient? If that was the case, by mere definition, it would already not be a contraceptive any more.

The pill and the morning after pills certainly are. They change the lining of the womb to make it unreceptive to a fertilized egg. Thus it is an abortifacient.

They are not classed as abortifacients. "Some people get confused and think that emergency contraceptive pills, or morning after pills, are the same as "abortion pills". They aren"t. Emergency contraception is used to prevent pregnancy before it begins, and works primarily or perhaps exclusively by delaying or inhibiting ovulation; it does not cause an abortion." (http://ec.princeton.edu...)

This is because they narrowly define an abortion as the removal of the fetus After implantation.

Dr. James Trussell, Director of Princeton"s Office of Population Research, makes the statement in an academic review on the drug dated February 2013 and co-authored with Dr. Elizabeth G. Raymond.

"To make an informed choice, women must know that [emergency contraceptive pills] " prevent pregnancy primarily by delaying or inhibiting ovulation and inhibiting fertilization, but may at times inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg in the endometrium," they write.

Emphasis here is on 'may'. SImply because something 'may' happen or be the case is no argument for or against it. As an example, I may crash my car the next time I drive and kill a pedestrian. Does that mean I should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle because that 'may' happen?
https://www.lifesitenews.com...

Contraception is used to prevent pregnancy, whereas an abortifacient is used to terminate an existing pregnancy. There is a big difference.

Except when one of the methods that it uses to prevent pregnancy intentionally causes the death of an unfertilized egg.

So an unfertilized egg is a 'alive' now? So any male that masturbates is a mass murderer? I will believe that when a women can become pregnant without a man's sperm, and when a man's sperm can become a child without a woman's egg. Otherwise, I would not call it 'alive'.

My apologies that is wrong, it should have read fertilized egg. I was doing too many things at once when I posted this.

That changes things, if only slightly.
Just to put this into a 'religious' point of view, 'God' causes the majority of miscarriages, around 30%-50%.

Who cares? I didn't bring God into this. It is disingenuous to conclude that because a large number of people naturally die that we have licence to kill as many as we want of those who don't. Otherwise one would have to argue that it is morally acceptable to kill centenarians because God calls a large percentage of that group home every year.

No, you did not bring God into this. However, many people only are Pro-life with connection to religion. As you seemingly can distinguish between religion and reason, there is no need to draw this connection. However, do keep in mind that arguing something is immoral (which I do not allege that you did), while a 'God' commits an act deemed to be immoral (as in many instances in the Bible) raises the question of the moral superiority of such deity to man. However, I have no interest in said debate, this was merely a note to it.
And according to the Bible an abortion is absolutely fine, induced by cursed bitter water (Numbers 5:11-28). And condoned by God.

Once again, off topic.

If you feel you must, make your argument. I've refuted it often in the past.

I will not make any further connection to scripture, as it has no place. The connection I made was merely a linkage to said scripture due to your faith. I hope you do not feel offended, I just enjoy questioning individuals faith, due to educational and logical reasons.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 3:22:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/16/2016 3:13:34 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:44:37 PM, Runn92 wrote:
At 4/15/2016 7:43:12 PM, random_noob wrote:
At 4/15/2016 2:00:32 AM, ILoveSitarMusic wrote:
I do. Women have the right to use contraception.

I don't understand, who doesn't?

Good point. Outside of a few fringe people, does anyone argue that we should ban contraception??????

I say we should ban every contraception that acts as an abortifacient. While the others are actually harmful, they shouldn't be illegal in a secular nation.

I mostly agree with this post, but I have one objection.
The problem with non-abortifacient contraceptives is that they encourage unmarried couples to have sex because the risk of illicit pregnancy is no longer there.
I believe that Christian married couples should use contraceptives whenever they have sex. They should build families through adoption.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid