Jump to topic:

Is Donald Trump "Good at Business"?

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 8:31:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I hear often that Trump success in business, would make him a good President. However, I wonder how much "skill" Trump really has, and if he really is a better businessman than any other reasonably intelligent person.

Trump graduated college with wealth and family connections as his father was a wealthy real estate investor. He went on to work for his fathers company and then started his own real estate career, at a convenient time, as real estate prices in the USA and Manhattan, grew at an unprecedented amount starting in 1980 (2).

I believe if Trump began real estate investing 2006, he would have lost a bunch of money in the housing crash and would be regarded as the "idiot son who lost a bunch of his Dad's money". After all, Trump did say 2006 was a great time to start a mortgage business.

Having money/connections allows people to make more money with little skill. All that is needed is risk taking and luck. Trump lost $70,000 right out of college investing in a Broad Way play (at the age of 23) (1). That would cripple the majority of Americans, but not someone born with an insane level of wealth/connections.

Often I think that humans are wired to see wealth/success and associate it with skill, and do not take into account the luck factors that came into play. I give Trump credit for becoming a celebrity, and reality TV Star. However, I do not think being a reality TV Star is transferable to being a good President. Would anyone vote for a member of the show Jersey Shore for President?

(1) http://www.nytimes.com...

(2) http://www.economist.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 8:59:27 PM
At 4/16/2016 8:31:43 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I hear often that Trump success in business, would make him a good President. However, I wonder how much "skill" Trump really has, and if he really is a better businessman than any other reasonably intelligent person.

Trump graduated college with wealth and family connections as his father was a wealthy real estate investor. He went on to work for his fathers company and then started his own real estate career, at a convenient time, as real estate prices in the USA and Manhattan, grew at an unprecedented amount starting in 1980 (2).

I believe if Trump began real estate investing 2006, he would have lost a bunch of money in the housing crash and would be regarded as the "idiot son who lost a bunch of his Dad's money". After all, Trump did say 2006 was a great time to start a mortgage business.

Having money/connections allows people to make more money with little skill. All that is needed is risk taking and luck. Trump lost $70,000 right out of college investing in a Broad Way play (at the age of 23) (1). That would cripple the majority of Americans, but not someone born with an insane level of wealth/connections.

Often I think that humans are wired to see wealth/success and associate it with skill, and do not take into account the luck factors that came into play. I give Trump credit for becoming a celebrity, and reality TV Star. However, I do not think being a reality TV Star is transferable to being a good President. Would anyone vote for a member of the show Jersey Shore for President?

Reagan was an actor.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 9:07:12 PM
At 4/16/2016 8:59:27 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Reagan was an actor.

Reagan also had a political career and was a Govenor before running for president.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 9:37:29 PM
Donald Trump is not a good businessman despite building skyscrapers all over the world. We all need to be supporting Bernie Sanders who has literally never held a real job
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 9:45:00 PM
At 4/16/2016 9:37:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
Donald Trump is not a good businessman despite building skyscrapers all over the world. We all need to be supporting Bernie Sanders who has literally never held a real job

Don't hate on Bernie...

But I agree the OP's argument is pretty funny. It clearly comes from someone who does not have the expertise to evaluate what good business looks like.
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 9:48:47 PM
At 4/16/2016 9:45:00 PM, YYW wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

But I agree the OP's argument is pretty funny. It clearly comes from someone who does not have the expertise to evaluate what good business looks like.

It's really as simple as this: How many wealthy heirs do the kinds of things Trump has done? Obviously the business Trump built is less impressive than it would be if he had somehow managed to carve out a NYC real estate empire from scratch (good luck, lol) but it's totally ridiculous to suggest that he's a poor businessman.

People who inherit the kind of money that Trump's father gave/lended him are a dime a dozen....men who actually turn that nest egg into something aren't.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 9:53:15 PM
At 4/16/2016 9:48:47 PM, thett3 wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

It's really as simple as this: How many wealthy heirs do the kinds of things Trump has done? Obviously the business Trump built is less impressive than it would be if he had somehow managed to carve out a NYC real estate empire from scratch (good luck, lol) but it's totally ridiculous to suggest that he's a poor businessman.

People who inherit the kind of money that Trump's father gave/lended him are a dime a dozen....men who actually turn that nest egg into something aren't.

This is true, and I know it as much as anyone else with a brain does. The problem is that people who don't have any understanding of how business works tend to think "Oh, well... he inherited money therefore he's not a good businessman."

It's an incredibly stupid argument.
Tsar of DDO
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 10:51:32 PM
At 4/16/2016 9:53:15 PM, YYW wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

This is true, and I know it as much as anyone else with a brain does. The problem is that people who don't have any understanding of how business works tend to think "Oh, well... he inherited money therefore he's not a good businessman."

Though he did file for bankruptcy four times.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2016 11:52:30 PM

Don't hate on Bernie...

Do you have a any reason why you disagree with the post, or why you do not think I have the expertise to evaluate what good business looks like?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 12:00:35 AM
At 4/16/2016 11:52:30 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

Do you have a any reason why you disagree with the post, or why you do not think I have the expertise to evaluate what good business looks like?

Yes.
Tsar of DDO
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 12:41:06 AM

Don't hate on Bernie...

The point is that wealth accumulation is not an indicator of skill. There are not that many people that have that kind of wealth/connections given to them.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 12:45:05 AM
At 4/16/2016 9:53:15 PM, YYW wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

Significant wealth accumulation is more an indicator risk taking and getting lucky, then skill. Trump began in real estate before one of the biggest real estate booms in history. Maybe Trump has "good business judgement" and foresaw this boom.

However, if he has such good judgement, why did he say 2006 was a great time to start a mortgage business?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 12:46:17 AM
At 4/17/2016 12:00:35 AM, YYW wrote:
At 4/16/2016 11:52:30 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Don't hate on Bernie...

Yes.

What is the reason?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:10:27 AM

Mark Zuckberg business is worth more than Trump's, should he not go for President, because he must have better judgement because he made more money?
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:23:08 AM
"However, if he has such good judgement, why did he say 2006 was a great time to start a mortgage business?"
Because he had alot of real estate he wanted to sell before it lost value
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:33:40 AM

Trump doesn't build most of his towers, he licences them, many of which end up failing liking his coastal condos

http://www.cnn.com...
http://www.npr.org...
http://www.nytimes.com...
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:38:07 AM
At 4/17/2016 1:23:08 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
"However, if he has such good judgement, why did he say 2006 was a great time to start a mortgage business?"
yes is that why the company folded in less than 1 and a half years?

"the real estate market is going to be very strong for a long time to come." - Trump
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:01:33 AM
At 4/17/2016 1:23:08 AM, xus00HAY wrote:

That is no reason to start a company where he LENDS MONEY TO OTHERS TO BUY PROPERTY.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:10:08 AM
At 4/17/2016 1:33:40 AM, Sam7411 wrote:

Trump doesn't build most of his towers, he licences them, many of which end up failing liking his coastal condos

Sam, I looked on your profile and noticed you were 15. Come back when a Taylor Swift song doesn't perfectly describe your life, okay? The adults (aka the people who support Trump) are talking, go grab a juice box
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:16:31 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:10:08 AM, thett3 wrote:

Sam, I looked on your profile and noticed you were 15. Come back when a Taylor Swift song doesn't perfectly describe your life, okay? The adults (aka the people who support Trump) are talking, go grab a juice box

You can't respond to his argument so you just taunt him about his age
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:18:04 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:16:31 AM, mc9 wrote:

I would rather taunt him about his age than go back and forth about the business career of a man way more successful than any of us here. Taunting him about his age happens to be fun
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:18:58 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:18:04 AM, thett3 wrote:

I would rather taunt him about his age than go back and forth about the business career of a man way more successful than any of us here. Taunting him about his age happens to be fun

Oma debate website you refuse to debate when someone makes a good point
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:19:54 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:18:58 AM, mc9 wrote:

Oma? What is oma? Mc9, you're having a hard time tonight
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:20:12 AM
At 4/16/2016 8:59:27 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Reagan was an actor.

He was a sh1t actor and a sh1t president. He, however, was WAY better at playing politician than Trump every could be.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:20:59 AM

Tell us about these skyscrapers all over the world. Please. Tell us.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:21:02 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:19:54 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/17/2016 2:18:58 AM, mc9 wrote:

Oma? What is oma? Mc9, you're having a hard time tonight

On a* I'm on a phone so it's hard to type
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:21:38 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:20:59 AM, TBR wrote:

http://www.trump.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:22:21 AM

No wonder Mean Girls is one of your favorite movies, I think you fit the character of Regina George quite nicely
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:22:51 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:21:38 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 4/17/2016 2:20:59 AM, TBR wrote:

http://www.trump.com...

No no.. Tell me about the Skyscrapers he build ALL OVER THE WORLD". Come on. Give it a shot. Should not be that hard, right?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:23:49 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:22:21 AM, Sam7411 wrote:

No wonder Mean Girls is one of your favorite movies, I think you fit the character of Regina George quite nicely

Is that supposed to be insulting?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett