Jump to topic:

Today, I voted for Bernie

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:16:14 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Early voting began today in my state, and I (and my dad, who I managed to convince--very last minute) voted for Bernie. While I recognize that Bernie will not win the Democratic Nomination (though I wouldn't mind if he did), my vote for Bernie is based on three unrelated, but still very simple, reasons:

(1) Keeping Bernie in the race is good for the issues. Bernie is one of the few candidates who really highlights issues that matter very greatly to me, personally. The alarming income gap that currently exists in this country, climate change, campaign finance, non-interventionism (as opposed to isolationism or interventionism), college affordability, and Wall Street reform are among those issues that he manages to bring into the spotlight in a way that no other candidate does or can. As I see it, only by allowing him to stay in can we prolong the attention given to these issues in our national discourse, and only by paying attention to them can we have debate and (possibly) change.

(2) Keeping Bernie in the race is good for democrats. Sure, Hillary is going to win the nomination, but when she doesn't have to fight for something, she tends to get lazy about it. When she gets lazy, she makes more and more mistakes. I think that--as long as the drama in my party doesn't get any more raucous--Bernie staying in will keep her campaign sharp, it will keep her on-message, and it will give her valuable experience on the trail. She was very rusty at the start of this campaign after '08, and I don't want to see her get any more arthritic as a candidate come summer.

(3) Voting for Bernie sends a message. I don't think Hillary (except on issues of equal pay for equal work and gun control) is truly on the same page as I am when it comes to what I think we should be gunning for (pun intended) as a party. I think climate change and the income gap should be greater priorities in our party, and that we should be seeking to find more innovative and fast-paced solutions than she seems willing to endorse. Hillary is the candidate of caution and calculation, whereas Bernie is the candidate of Progressive Idealism. I want to send a message to the DNC with my vote about what issues matter most to me, about how aggressively I think we should be addressing those issues, and about how important I think those issues truly are.

Come the fall, I will likely step into the voting booth to either vote for Hillary or Kasich. I will never vote for Trump or Cruz. There is a 70% chance that vote will be for Hillary. While I agree that she may not be as "authentic" (whatever that means) as Bernie, I do believe she will be more progressive than the republicans without stirring the religious and racial pots in the way some others *cough* Trump *cough* would. She would be calculating, but I think that will also make her a pragmatist who will seek realistic solutions...which may throw some of my ideals under the bus, but I can live with that as long as some of my core issues are addressed satisfactorily, which I think she'll do.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because...I did...feel free to comment (or not) as you please...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:31:20 AM
Who cares about your state? The New York primary is Tuesday.
That is when we will determine who can become a nominee.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:33:41 AM
Nice! Other than not voting for Trump you made the right decision
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:35:21 AM
BTW Mr. Trump is one of us, his opponent is a Canadian.
Get used to the idea of President Trump.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 2:56:20 AM
Good for you. I didn't get to vote because I was out of state at the time.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 3:30:04 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:33:41 AM, thett3 wrote:
Nice! Other than not voting for Trump you made the right decision

Lol...thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 3:39:45 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:56:20 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You couldn't do an absentee ballot?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 3:46:46 AM
At 4/17/2016 2:16:14 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Early voting began today in my state, and I (and my dad, who I managed to convince--very last minute) voted for Bernie. While I recognize that Bernie will not win the Democratic Nomination (though I wouldn't mind if he did), my vote for Bernie is based on three unrelated, but still very simple, reasons:

(1) Keeping Bernie in the race is good for the issues. Bernie is one of the few candidates who really highlights issues that matter very greatly to me, personally. The alarming income gap that currently exists in this country, climate change, campaign finance, non-interventionism (as opposed to isolationism or interventionism), college affordability, and Wall Street reform are among those issues that he manages to bring into the spotlight in a way that no other candidate does or can. As I see it, only by allowing him to stay in can we prolong the attention given to these issues in our national discourse, and only by paying attention to them can we have debate and (possibly) change.

(2) Keeping Bernie in the race is good for democrats. Sure, Hillary is going to win the nomination, but when she doesn't have to fight for something, she tends to get lazy about it. When she gets lazy, she makes more and more mistakes. I think that--as long as the drama in my party doesn't get any more raucous--Bernie staying in will keep her campaign sharp, it will keep her on-message, and it will give her valuable experience on the trail. She was very rusty at the start of this campaign after '08, and I don't want to see her get any more arthritic as a candidate come summer.

(3) Voting for Bernie sends a message. I don't think Hillary (except on issues of equal pay for equal work and gun control) is truly on the same page as I am when it comes to what I think we should be gunning for (pun intended) as a party. I think climate change and the income gap should be greater priorities in our party, and that we should be seeking to find more innovative and fast-paced solutions than she seems willing to endorse. Hillary is the candidate of caution and calculation, whereas Bernie is the candidate of Progressive Idealism. I want to send a message to the DNC with my vote about what issues matter most to me, about how aggressively I think we should be addressing those issues, and about how important I think those issues truly are.

Come the fall, I will likely step into the voting booth to either vote for Hillary or Kasich. I will never vote for Trump or Cruz. There is a 70% chance that vote will be for Hillary. While I agree that she may not be as "authentic" (whatever that means) as Bernie, I do believe she will be more progressive than the republicans without stirring the religious and racial pots in the way some others *cough* Trump *cough* would. She would be calculating, but I think that will also make her a pragmatist who will seek realistic solutions...which may throw some of my ideals under the bus, but I can live with that as long as some of my core issues are addressed satisfactorily, which I think she'll do.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because...I did...feel free to comment (or not) as you please...

Good for you.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 3:49:30 AM
At 4/17/2016 3:46:46 AM, TBR wrote:

Good for you.

Yup.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:05:09 PM
At 4/17/2016 3:39:45 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I didn't realize that I would be absent for voting until it was too late.

The DDO Blog:

stealspell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 1:42:09 PM

But, you're in... Austria o.0
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 11:07:53 PM
At 4/17/2016 1:42:09 PM, stealspell wrote:

But, you're in... Austria o.0

I moved back a few months ago.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2016 11:08:13 PM
At 4/17/2016 1:05:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Oh wow...that had to be frustrating. *hugs*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 2:02:44 AM
At 4/17/2016 11:08:13 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 4/17/2016 1:05:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Oh wow...that had to be frustrating. *hugs*

Eh. I would've just voted for Trump, so it's probably a good thing that I was absent, lol.

The DDO Blog: