Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Harriet Tubman on the $20 Bill

ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:45:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

Look, money is tied to consumer confidence, if people think the government is looking out for them by putting popular people on money, it could increase consumer spending. It's not a big deal.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:50:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It should be someone like Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Susan B. Anthony. It definitely shouldn't be Jackson because he wanted to abolish the banks.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 7:02:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:50:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It should be someone like Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Susan B. Anthony. It definitely shouldn't be Jackson because he wanted to abolish the banks.

I like Stanton.
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 7:17:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

Well, I liked Jackson because of the trail of tears, but I do find that putting Tubman on the bill would be a wise start. On the other hand, this is not a priority nor should we spend a single penny on this endeavor.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 7:39:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
im glad they decided to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill. If anyone needed to be swapped off of a bill, it would definitely be Jackson
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:23:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
1) Glad Hamilton was spared on the $10 bill. It was an idiotic idea to try and remove him.
2) Glad Jackson is off the $20. Worst president on currency by far, and that is including Grant.
Trollord
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:24:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:45:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

Look, money is tied to consumer confidence, if people think the government is looking out for them by putting popular people on money, it could increase consumer spending. It's not a big deal.

As if inflation wasn't already an issue.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:24:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:50:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It should be someone like Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Susan B. Anthony.

Why are those superior options? Just because they were feminists?

It definitely shouldn't be Jackson because he wanted to abolish the banks.

He was also a formative president.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:32:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:24:42 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:50:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It should be someone like Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Susan B. Anthony.

Why are those superior options? Just because they were feminists?

Because they were extremely important women in the suffrage movement. Harriet Tubman was but one of many abolitionists (might as well do Frederick Douglass instead). Abraham Lincoln also kind of satisfies the mark for abolishonism, but if that's the route they're going why don't they do MLK instead? Tubman wasn't the "image of women", the women I listed were far more important in their advancement of rights.

It definitely shouldn't be Jackson because he wanted to abolish the banks.

He was also a formative president.

http://img.memecdn.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:39:17 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I don't think any real people should be on currency--abstractions representing America are far superior. Compare the walking liberty half dollar to the Kennedy half dollar...there is just no comparison. I'd like to see lady liberty come back, I'd like to see more Indian-head or buffalo coins, I'd even like to see a cowboy
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:40:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:39:17 PM, thett3 wrote:
I don't think any real people should be on currency--abstractions representing America are far superior. Compare the walking liberty half dollar to the Kennedy half dollar...there is just no comparison. I'd like to see lady liberty come back, I'd like to see more Indian-head or buffalo coins, I'd even like to see a cowboy

Or Trump on the $20 bill.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:41:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:40:02 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 8:39:17 PM, thett3 wrote:
I don't think any real people should be on currency--abstractions representing America are far superior. Compare the walking liberty half dollar to the Kennedy half dollar...there is just no comparison. I'd like to see lady liberty come back, I'd like to see more Indian-head or buffalo coins, I'd even like to see a cowboy

Or Trump on the $20 bill.

Well Trump is the exception to the "real people" rule--as the god-emperor of mankind he qualifies as a magical being rather than a mere person
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:43:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 7:17:43 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

Well, I liked Jackson because of the trail of tears,

Lol, what?

but I do find that putting Tubman on the bill would be a wise start. On the other hand, this is not a priority nor should we spend a single penny on this endeavor.

Agreed.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:44:29 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:45:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

Look, money is tied to consumer confidence, if people think the government is looking out for them by putting popular people on money, it could increase consumer spending. It's not a big deal.

I never said it was a big deal. I just think there was no necessity in replacing it.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:47:05 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:32:02 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 8:24:42 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:50:41 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It should be someone like Emmeline Pankhurst, Alice Paul, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, or Susan B. Anthony.

Why are those superior options? Just because they were feminists?

Because they were extremely important women in the suffrage movement. Harriet Tubman was but one of many abolitionists (might as well do Frederick Douglass instead). Abraham Lincoln also kind of satisfies the mark for abolishonism, but if that's the route they're going why don't they do MLK instead? Tubman wasn't the "image of women", the women I listed were far more important in their advancement of rights.

I see.

It definitely shouldn't be Jackson because he wanted to abolish the banks.

He was also a formative president.

http://img.memecdn.com...

Lol
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:48:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:39:17 PM, thett3 wrote:
I don't think any real people should be on currency--abstractions representing America are far superior. Compare the walking liberty half dollar to the Kennedy half dollar...there is just no comparison. I'd like to see lady liberty come back, I'd like to see more Indian-head or buffalo coins, I'd even like to see a cowboy

Eh. It doesn't really matter to me. But, in all honesty, lady liberty and buffalo/Indian head coins would be great.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 8:48:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 7:39:17 PM, imabench wrote:
im glad they decided to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill. If anyone needed to be swapped off of a bill, it would definitely be Jackson

Yeah, Hamilton is definitely a keeper. Since he was never president, he does deserve some credit at least.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 9:04:29 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 8:43:55 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 7:17:43 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

Well, I liked Jackson because of the trail of tears,

Lol, what?

I think you understand how Americans owning that land was better than Natives owning that land. It's much nicer to have factories and large buildings rather than dancing around campfires and making buffalo skin tepees.

but I do find that putting Tubman on the bill would be a wise start. On the other hand, this is not a priority nor should we spend a single penny on this endeavor.

Agreed.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
sadolite
Posts: 8,836
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 10:01:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It's a blatant poke in the eye by Obama to America and our traditions and culture. Wont see that garbage in my wallet if I can help it until I can trade it in for tens and fives. lets also not forget the monumental cost and waste of money in doing so. We as a nation have much more pressing issues. that need to be addressed than wasting taxpayer dollars on things no one wants or needs.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 10:07:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 9:04:29 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 4/20/2016 8:43:55 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 7:17:43 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

Well, I liked Jackson because of the trail of tears,

Lol, what?

I think you understand how Americans owning that land was better than Natives owning that land. It's much nicer to have factories and large buildings rather than dancing around campfires and making buffalo skin tepees.

Well, in general I agree with that. How we achieved that, however, was something I did not agree with. It was unscrupulous, cruel, and unfair.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 10:09:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 10:01:21 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

It's a blatant poke in the eye by Obama to America and our traditions and culture.

I somewhat agree. I don't really care, I just think it's stupid to put a woman on for equality reasons. No reason to change the status quo, there's nothing wrong, or sexist, about it.

Wont see that garbage in my wallet if I can help it until I can trade it in for tens and fives. lets also not forget the monumental cost and waste of money in doing so.

I agree, it's a waste of money to change something so meaningless.

We as a nation have much more pressing issues. that need to be addressed than wasting taxpayer dollars on things no one wants or needs.

Agreed.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 11:19:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

* Skip to the bottom for a TLDR before you decide to read this dumb post

I mean, he made the Democratic party, but literally the only law he passed was the Indian Removal Act. I am totally serious. Everything else he just prevented from happening. Jackson really wasn't that important. But I think every president is formative in some way or another.

Take Reagan. He assisted with the collapse of the Soviet Union and ushered in a period of relative conservatism--1980 to 2004 (because after 2004 with Iraq, people started getting pissy). Clinton, Bush I, Bush II were all center right with only minor differences between them. Not only that, but Reagan's tax reform still is with us today--the biggest vestige of the tax code from the 80s being inflation fixation.

Take Nixon, who I do not particularly like because he was fairly liberal. He ended the gold standard (good) and he began to normalize relations with China. Now China has opened up compared to what they used to be and are better off for it, and we are also stronger because of it.

LBJ, with the Great Society, has changed the welfare debate in this country entirely. He turned the safety net into a hammock! :P

FDR, who did some good things (suspend the gold standard, which led to monetary expansion and ended the depression--it wasn't WW2, Christina Romer already demonstrated it was expansion) did some other things I disagree with but these policies exist even today, Social Security being the big one. He is also really brought progressivism into the mainstream--he and Wilson, at least.

But pretty much every president has done something that is important. In other words, every president is formative, and many in ways we will never know.

* TBH, I have no clue what I wrote above. But I am bored so you can just ignore it. So here is me saying how shitty FDR and Johnson were. And an added bonus: Some pro-Reagan shilling. XD
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 11:29:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 11:19:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

* Skip to the bottom for a TLDR before you decide to read this dumb post

I mean, he made the Democratic party, but literally the only law he passed was the Indian Removal Act. I am totally serious. Everything else he just prevented from happening. Jackson really wasn't that important. But I think every president is formative in some way or another.

Take Reagan. He assisted with the collapse of the Soviet Union and ushered in a period of relative conservatism--1980 to 2004 (because after 2004 with Iraq, people started getting pissy). Clinton, Bush I, Bush II were all center right with only minor differences between them. Not only that, but Reagan's tax reform still is with us today--the biggest vestige of the tax code from the 80s being inflation fixation.

Take Nixon, who I do not particularly like because he was fairly liberal. He ended the gold standard (good) and he began to normalize relations with China. Now China has opened up compared to what they used to be and are better off for it, and we are also stronger because of it.

LBJ, with the Great Society, has changed the welfare debate in this country entirely. He turned the safety net into a hammock! :P

FDR, who did some good things (suspend the gold standard, which led to monetary expansion and ended the depression--it wasn't WW2, Christina Romer already demonstrated it was expansion) did some other things I disagree with but these policies exist even today, Social Security being the big one. He is also really brought progressivism into the mainstream--he and Wilson, at least.

But pretty much every president has done something that is important. In other words, every president is formative, and many in ways we will never know.

* TBH, I have no clue what I wrote above. But I am bored so you can just ignore it. So here is me saying how shitty FDR and Johnson were. And an added bonus: Some pro-Reagan shilling. XD

I'm going to respond to this when I have time, cuz you actually bring up some good stuff. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 1:58:05 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 7:39:17 PM, imabench wrote:
im glad they decided to keep Hamilton on the $10 bill. If anyone needed to be swapped off of a bill, it would definitely be Jackson

Yes, Hamilton is my favorite. He's also the only hot founding father, and one of the staunchest abolitionists of his time.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 3:05:58 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/20/2016 11:19:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

* Skip to the bottom for a TLDR before you decide to read this dumb post

I mean, he made the Democratic party, but literally the only law he passed was the Indian Removal Act. I am totally serious. Everything else he just prevented from happening. Jackson really wasn't that important. But I think every president is formative in some way or another.

It was just his presence in the office, swagger, things like that. Of course, every president is formative in at least some way. Except maybe Gerald Ford.

Take Reagan. He assisted with the collapse of the Soviet Union and ushered in a period of relative conservatism--1980 to 2004 (because after 2004 with Iraq, people started getting pissy). Clinton, Bush I, Bush II were all center right with only minor differences between them. Not only that, but Reagan's tax reform still is with us today--the biggest vestige of the tax code from the 80s being inflation fixation.

Reagan, IMO, was the greatest president ever.

Take Nixon, who I do not particularly like because he was fairly liberal. He ended the gold standard (good) and he began to normalize relations with China. Now China has opened up compared to what they used to be and are better off for it, and we are also stronger because of it.

I agree. He was too arrogant in office, and a little liberal. He did have some good things, though, as you mentioned. I guess it just goes to show partisan presidents can be good and bad. FDR's socialist tendencies were somewhat necessary in the time in which he was in office.

LBJ, with the Great Society, has changed the welfare debate in this country entirely. He turned the safety net into a hammock! :P

Lol. The Great Society was dumb.

FDR, who did some good things (suspend the gold standard, which led to monetary expansion and ended the depression--it wasn't WW2, Christina Romer already demonstrated it was expansion) did some other things I disagree with but these policies exist even today, Social Security being the big one. He is also really brought progressivism into the mainstream--he and Wilson, at least.

Progressivism. Gross. :P

But pretty much every president has done something that is important. In other words, every president is formative, and many in ways we will never know.

* TBH, I have no clue what I wrote above. But I am bored so you can just ignore it. So here is me saying how shitty FDR and Johnson were. And an added bonus: Some pro-Reagan shilling. XD

Lol. You're fine. You actually brought up some good stuff.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 4:33:36 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/21/2016 3:05:58 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 11:19:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:42:17 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:33:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/20/2016 6:17:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
Thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com...

I don't see why not. Most people know about as much about her as Jackson.

I find that sad. Jackson was arguably the most formative president ever. I could only think of Washington (because he was the first) and FDR as arguable alternatives to that title. On the other hand, there were plenty of abolitionists and egalitarian-seeking activists.

* Skip to the bottom for a TLDR before you decide to read this dumb post

I mean, he made the Democratic party, but literally the only law he passed was the Indian Removal Act. I am totally serious. Everything else he just prevented from happening. Jackson really wasn't that important. But I think every president is formative in some way or another.

It was just his presence in the office, swagger, things like that. Of course, every president is formative in at least some way. Except maybe Gerald Ford.

Actually, Ford was important too. He pardoned Nixon, which now sets up the (in my opinion good) precedent of not prosecuting former presidents (imagine if he had done the opposite--nearly every president would get rekt for something random if their predecessor has a political reason to do it). He continued terrible economic policies that worsened stagflation and helped set the stage for the Reagan revolution. He also continued to normalize relations with China.


Take Reagan. He assisted with the collapse of the Soviet Union and ushered in a period of relative conservatism--1980 to 2004 (because after 2004 with Iraq, people started getting pissy). Clinton, Bush I, Bush II were all center right with only minor differences between them. Not only that, but Reagan's tax reform still is with us today--the biggest vestige of the tax code from the 80s being inflation fixation.

Reagan, IMO, was the greatest president ever.

I like Reagan, but he isn't a god. He made questionable moves in Central America, for example. Most other criticisms (rose taxes) are pretty much invalid because he increased taxes by closing loopholes, which means less complexity, which is integral to supply-side reforms.



Take Nixon, who I do not particularly like because he was fairly liberal. He ended the gold standard (good) and he began to normalize relations with China. Now China has opened up compared to what they used to be and are better off for it, and we are also stronger because of it.

I agree. He was too arrogant in office, and a little liberal. He did have some good things, though, as you mentioned. I guess it just goes to show partisan presidents can be good and bad. FDR's socialist tendencies were somewhat necessary in the time in which he was in office.

LBJ, with the Great Society, has changed the welfare debate in this country entirely. He turned the safety net into a hammock! :P

Lol. The Great Society was dumb.

I REKT my teacher hardcore in class on it (indirectly). I can PM you what happened. It was a total rek 360 noscope. MLG Adams


FDR, who did some good things (suspend the gold standard, which led to monetary expansion and ended the depression--it wasn't WW2, Christina Romer already demonstrated it was expansion) did some other things I disagree with but these policies exist even today, Social Security being the big one. He is also really brought progressivism into the mainstream--he and Wilson, at least.

Progressivism. Gross. :P

But pretty much every president has done something that is important. In other words, every president is formative, and many in ways we will never know.

* TBH, I have no clue what I wrote above. But I am bored so you can just ignore it. So here is me saying how shitty FDR and Johnson were. And an added bonus: Some pro-Reagan shilling. XD

Lol. You're fine. You actually brought up some good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Chang29
Posts: 732
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2016 6:20:07 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Tubman was pro nullification. Anybody that believes in fighting immoral laws has my support.
A free market anti-capitalist

If it can be de-centralized, it will be de-centralized.