Jump to topic:

Learn about Harriet Tubman

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:28:26 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
My first impression of the idea that Tubman was going to be on the money... was not favorable. I don't like Andrew Jackson (no one does, after all, Big Block of Cheese day is the only good thing he did), but I like change even less. But it didn't take long to warm up to the idea of Harriet Tubman on the money.

Harriet Tubman was, I think for most of us, relegated to the stuff of children's histories of the Antebellum South, but the reality is that she was a motherfvcking badass who took sh!t from no one and literally changed the course of history. Tubman was an American hero in at least three noteworthy respects:

1. She risked her life, fought off slaveowners, and freed tens of thousands of slaves. She was a human trafficker for justice, and she lived her life as a spy in the shadows of the darkest depths of human depravity as a beacon of light for those who were bound in servitude. She was Moses. She subverted the law, because she answered to a law higher than the law of man; morality, grounded in human dignity. Totally fearless.

2. She was a fvcking spy in the civil war whose actions led to the liberation of even more slaves yet while serving behind enemy lines, again, risking her life at every moment. This woman feared nothing, or if she did, overcame it for what was right. That's ballsy stuff. Spies make war possible. Tubman made the civil war possible, and put victory in numerous battles within reach.

3. After a lifelong career of freeing tens of thousands of slaves and serving as a spy for the Union army in the civil war, she became a suffragette who, despite then earning a pension for her service in the civil war, could not even buy a night at a hotel in New York because they were all segregated. But did that stop her? Hardly. Nothing stopped her.

She fought all odds, and lived through it all to see the other side. After some prudent research, and diligent reflection, I'm happy to see her on the money. We need more people like her in this world.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:31:14 AM
I honestly thought that Rosa Parks was gonna be the one who ended up on the $20 instead of Harriet Tubman. I would have bet any amount of money on it :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:34:35 AM
At 4/22/2016 4:31:14 AM, imabench wrote:
I honestly thought that Rosa Parks was gonna be the one who ended up on the $20 instead of Harriet Tubman. I would have bet any amount of money on it :P

Rosa Parks is nothing compared to Harriet Tubman. Rosa Parks didn't free tens of thousands of slaves, nor was she a spy, nor was she a suffragette. Parks sat on a bus and became the center of a lawsuit. She was a critical part of an overall effort, but she gets way too much credit.

Harriet Tubman was the real fvcking deal.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:42:41 AM
At 4/22/2016 4:34:35 AM, YYW wrote:

Rosa Parks is nothing compared to Harriet Tubman. Rosa Parks didn't free tens of thousands of slaves, nor was she a spy, nor was she a suffragette. Parks sat on a bus and became the center of a lawsuit. She was a critical part of an overall effort, but she gets way too much credit.

Im really happy about it to dont get me wrong.

Is Jackson going to be off the $20 completely or are they going to stick a faded version of him on the back of the bill? I heard it could be either from a lot of different people
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Geographia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:45:09 AM
Jackson did a lot of sh!t in the War of 1812 though, chief. Not to say Tubman shouldn't be on the money, but Jackson earnt his place as well.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:58:44 AM
At 4/22/2016 4:45:09 AM, Geographia wrote:
Jackson did a lot of sh!t in the War of 1812 though, chief. Not to say Tubman shouldn't be on the money, but Jackson earnt his place as well.

He kinda f*cked it up though with the forced relocation of native americans out of the Carolinas to west of the Mississippi. Trail of Tears? He was behind that. The tribes actually won a Supreme Court Case to keep their lands, but Jackson ordered troops to relocate the natives anyways. It was a complete abuse of power, was completely illegal, unconstitutional, and impeachable as well if people back then actually gave a sh*t about the Native Americans.

He had some bright spots on his record but he had a lot of sh*tty spots as well that made him very controversial to hold as some kind of role model

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:06:18 PM
At 4/22/2016 4:34:35 AM, YYW wrote:

Parks was part of a carefully planned, relatively risk free event.

Tubman was a badass.

If you were to judge who reflects American values today, Tubman beats out Jackson by far.