Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Scandanavians prefer Hillary over Sanders

imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:48:52 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I know, it sounds like complete bullsh*t, I still am skeptical about it myself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Basically, there was a YouGov poll that was released exclusively in Scandanavian countries (Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark) where people were asked which of the remaining candidates in the US election they support the most.

In Denmark, Hillary got 54%, Sanders got 17%, Trump got 3%, Cruz got 2% (roughly 20% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.dk...

In Sweden, the same poll had Hillary get 47%, Sanders got 16%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.se...

In Norway, Hillary got 40%, Sanders 22%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.no...

Each link is a link to the results of the polls, and I cannot come up with any ideas to understand why the f*ck the results are the way they are..... There should be no reason at all that Bernie isnt dominating polls in these countries which he loves so much, yet Hillary is whipping him there. Ive only managed to come up with a few theories to explain why this is the case, but each theory has a few gaping holes in it.

Theory 1) They polled everyone, not just leftists/liberals

My first thought that would explain this is that the polls asked everyone who they would vote for, rather than just liberals/leftists.... The more liberal you are, the more likely you'd support Sanders, but if you ask the ENTIRE electorate, including more conservative people, then the more moderate candidate is likely to pull ahead of the more extreme candidate

The problems with this theory is that Hillary and Sanders weren't the only options in the poll..... All the candidates from both major parties were listed as options, and many of them got votes as mentioned above. But a majority of people still supported Hillary, even though conservatives in Scandanavian countries had the option to vote for people other than Hillary and Bernie. Given how very liberal these countries tend to be, a good chunk of the leftists for some reason still support Hillary more than Bernie, which goes against what you would expect

Theory 2) Media coverage more aimed at Hillary than Bernie

My second thought for what might explain why Hillary beats Bernie in Scandinavian Europe was possibly unbalanced media coverage of the US election.... Because I have no idea how the media in the Scandanavian countries functions compared to the US, its more then possible that Hillary simply is covered more by media channels than Bernie is which is why more people prefer her over Bernie. Hillary had a massive lead over Bernie in every poll before Bernie started getting lots of coverage here in the US, it could be the same scenario over there as well.

But that goes both ways. If Hillary is getting more media coverage than Bernie, it includes negative press as well, which could range from her email issues to her ties to big banks to her (previous) support of the Iraq War.... Hillary is also pretty centrist on issues that Scandinavian countries lean far more to the left on, so even what would be good press here in the US could be bad press in the eyes Scandinavians.... Furthermore, this isnt the beginning of the primaries either, more than 2/3rds of states have voted, and we are now in the home stretch of the primary contest leading up to the general election, where the world has had a good number of months now to hear about whats going down here in the US...... When you also take into account how massive Bernie's online fanbase is, you would figure that word about what Bernie believes in is at least getting around there as well, and Bernie's open love and support for how Scandanavian countries operates also likely earns him some commentary from TV shows in those countries.... Yet they still support Hillary more.

Theory 3) Scandinavian countries not as liberal as they seem

As blasphemous as this must sound, if Scandinavian countries really prefer Hillary over Bernie, even when GOP candidates are listed as potential options and when Bernie likely has been getting at least some media coverage in Scandinavian countries, then is the reason for Hillary's lead due to those nations not being as liberal/leftist as we perceive them to be? Hillary is far closer to Obama in terms of policies than she is to Sanders, to the point that there is a clear ideological gap between the two in terms of how much to the left they go.... But if Media coverage is balanced and the poll isnt polling a warped sample of respondents, then maybe people in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland simply arnet that liberal

But this is Sweden and Norway we're talking about here!

Can anyone else come up with an explanation for why this is the way it is? I cant figure it out myself and ive been wondering bout it almost all day now
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 5:58:46 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 5:48:52 AM, imabench wrote:

But that goes both ways. If Hillary is getting more media coverage than Bernie, it includes negative press as well, which could range from her email issues to her ties to big banks to her (previous) support of the Iraq War.... Hillary is also pretty centrist on issues that Scandinavian countries lean far more to the left on, so even what would be good press here in the US could be bad press in the eyes Scandinavians.... Furthermore, this isnt the beginning of the primaries either, more than 2/3rds of states have voted, and we are now in the home stretch of the primary contest leading up to the general election, where the world has had a good number of months now to hear about whats going down here in the US...... When you also take into account how massive Bernie's online fanbase is, you would figure that word about what Bernie believes in is at least getting around there as well, and Bernie's open love and support for how Scandanavian countries operates also likely earns him some commentary from TV shows in those countries.... Yet they still support Hillary more.


Well, you answered it. Bad facetime on the media is better than no face time. Why do you think Trump is still around?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 6:00:54 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 5:48:52 AM, imabench wrote:
I know, it sounds like complete bullsh*t, I still am skeptical about it myself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Basically, there was a YouGov poll that was released exclusively in Scandanavian countries (Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark) where people were asked which of the remaining candidates in the US election they support the most.

In Denmark, Hillary got 54%, Sanders got 17%, Trump got 3%, Cruz got 2% (roughly 20% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.dk...

In Sweden, the same poll had Hillary get 47%, Sanders got 16%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.se...

In Norway, Hillary got 40%, Sanders 22%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.no...

Each link is a link to the results of the polls, and I cannot come up with any ideas to understand why the f*ck the results are the way they are..... There should be no reason at all that Bernie isnt dominating polls in these countries which he loves so much, yet Hillary is whipping him there. Ive only managed to come up with a few theories to explain why this is the case, but each theory has a few gaping holes in it.

Theory 1) They polled everyone, not just leftists/liberals

My first thought that would explain this is that the polls asked everyone who they would vote for, rather than just liberals/leftists.... The more liberal you are, the more likely you'd support Sanders, but if you ask the ENTIRE electorate, including more conservative people, then the more moderate candidate is likely to pull ahead of the more extreme candidate

The problems with this theory is that Hillary and Sanders weren't the only options in the poll..... All the candidates from both major parties were listed as options, and many of them got votes as mentioned above. But a majority of people still supported Hillary, even though conservatives in Scandanavian countries had the option to vote for people other than Hillary and Bernie. Given how very liberal these countries tend to be, a good chunk of the leftists for some reason still support Hillary more than Bernie, which goes against what you would expect

Theory 2) Media coverage more aimed at Hillary than Bernie

My second thought for what might explain why Hillary beats Bernie in Scandinavian Europe was possibly unbalanced media coverage of the US election.... Because I have no idea how the media in the Scandanavian countries functions compared to the US, its more then possible that Hillary simply is covered more by media channels than Bernie is which is why more people prefer her over Bernie. Hillary had a massive lead over Bernie in every poll before Bernie started getting lots of coverage here in the US, it could be the same scenario over there as well.

But that goes both ways. If Hillary is getting more media coverage than Bernie, it includes negative press as well, which could range from her email issues to her ties to big banks to her (previous) support of the Iraq War.... Hillary is also pretty centrist on issues that Scandinavian countries lean far more to the left on, so even what would be good press here in the US could be bad press in the eyes Scandinavians.... Furthermore, this isnt the beginning of the primaries either, more than 2/3rds of states have voted, and we are now in the home stretch of the primary contest leading up to the general election, where the world has had a good number of months now to hear about whats going down here in the US...... When you also take into account how massive Bernie's online fanbase is, you would figure that word about what Bernie believes in is at least getting around there as well, and Bernie's open love and support for how Scandanavian countries operates also likely earns him some commentary from TV shows in those countries.... Yet they still support Hillary more.

Theory 3) Scandinavian countries not as liberal as they seem

As blasphemous as this must sound, if Scandinavian countries really prefer Hillary over Bernie, even when GOP candidates are listed as potential options and when Bernie likely has been getting at least some media coverage in Scandinavian countries, then is the reason for Hillary's lead due to those nations not being as liberal/leftist as we perceive them to be? Hillary is far closer to Obama in terms of policies than she is to Sanders, to the point that there is a clear ideological gap between the two in terms of how much to the left they go.... But if Media coverage is balanced and the poll isnt polling a warped sample of respondents, then maybe people in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland simply arnet that liberal

But this is Sweden and Norway we're talking about here!

Can anyone else come up with an explanation for why this is the way it is? I cant figure it out myself and ive been wondering bout it almost all day now

I'm going to have to go with theory 2-ish. I think because of the fact Hillary was secretary of state and she was the wife of Bill Clinton she is automatically more internationally recognized. I think those internationally don't focus on "who else is there", rather whoever most prominently already appears on the front. Like I doubt many international people even know who Cruz is or Kasich is, but Trump already had his name out there. Bernie was just a senator, an independent senator to be exact. I didn't even know who he was before he ran. Of course media coverage also helps with the biased perception.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 6:20:09 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Maybe Scandanavians are just so pro-female that having a vagina is more important than being a socialist.

Or maybe they don't like Bernie because he's a white man.

Or maybe they just hate jews.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 6:23:42 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 6:20:09 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Maybe Scandanavians are just so pro-female that having a vagina is more important than being a socialist.

Or maybe they don't like Bernie because he's a white man.

Or maybe they just hate jews.

Thats malarkey..... When has a well industrialized and predominantly white European nation ever had anti-Jewish sentiments?.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 6:33:07 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 6:23:42 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/22/2016 6:20:09 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Maybe Scandanavians are just so pro-female that having a vagina is more important than being a socialist.

Or maybe they don't like Bernie because he's a white man.

Or maybe they just hate jews.

Thats malarkey..... When has a well industrialized and predominantly white European nation ever had anti-Jewish sentiments?.....

You got me. They're all run by Jews.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 6:58:26 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 6:23:42 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/22/2016 6:20:09 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Maybe Scandanavians are just so pro-female that having a vagina is more important than being a socialist.

Or maybe they don't like Bernie because he's a white man.

Or maybe they just hate jews.

Thats malarkey..... When has a well industrialized and predominantly white European nation ever had anti-Jewish sentiments?.....

Germans!
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 7:00:54 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Mix of 1 and 2.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:40:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/22/2016 5:48:52 AM, imabench wrote:
I know, it sounds like complete bullsh*t, I still am skeptical about it myself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Basically, there was a YouGov poll that was released exclusively in Scandanavian countries (Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark) where people were asked which of the remaining candidates in the US election they support the most.

In Denmark, Hillary got 54%, Sanders got 17%, Trump got 3%, Cruz got 2% (roughly 20% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.dk...

In Sweden, the same poll had Hillary get 47%, Sanders got 16%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.se...

In Norway, Hillary got 40%, Sanders 22%, Trump 7%, Cruz 3%, and Kasich 2% (25% unaccounted for)
https://yougov.no...

Each link is a link to the results of the polls, and I cannot come up with any ideas to understand why the f*ck the results are the way they are..... There should be no reason at all that Bernie isnt dominating polls in these countries which he loves so much, yet Hillary is whipping him there. Ive only managed to come up with a few theories to explain why this is the case, but each theory has a few gaping holes in it.

Theory 1) They polled everyone, not just leftists/liberals

My first thought that would explain this is that the polls asked everyone who they would vote for, rather than just liberals/leftists.... The more liberal you are, the more likely you'd support Sanders, but if you ask the ENTIRE electorate, including more conservative people, then the more moderate candidate is likely to pull ahead of the more extreme candidate

The problems with this theory is that Hillary and Sanders weren't the only options in the poll..... All the candidates from both major parties were listed as options, and many of them got votes as mentioned above. But a majority of people still supported Hillary, even though conservatives in Scandanavian countries had the option to vote for people other than Hillary and Bernie. Given how very liberal these countries tend to be, a good chunk of the leftists for some reason still support Hillary more than Bernie, which goes against what you would expect

Theory 2) Media coverage more aimed at Hillary than Bernie

My second thought for what might explain why Hillary beats Bernie in Scandinavian Europe was possibly unbalanced media coverage of the US election.... Because I have no idea how the media in the Scandanavian countries functions compared to the US, its more then possible that Hillary simply is covered more by media channels than Bernie is which is why more people prefer her over Bernie. Hillary had a massive lead over Bernie in every poll before Bernie started getting lots of coverage here in the US, it could be the same scenario over there as well.

But that goes both ways. If Hillary is getting more media coverage than Bernie, it includes negative press as well, which could range from her email issues to her ties to big banks to her (previous) support of the Iraq War.... Hillary is also pretty centrist on issues that Scandinavian countries lean far more to the left on, so even what would be good press here in the US could be bad press in the eyes Scandinavians.... Furthermore, this isnt the beginning of the primaries either, more than 2/3rds of states have voted, and we are now in the home stretch of the primary contest leading up to the general election, where the world has had a good number of months now to hear about whats going down here in the US...... When you also take into account how massive Bernie's online fanbase is, you would figure that word about what Bernie believes in is at least getting around there as well, and Bernie's open love and support for how Scandanavian countries operates also likely earns him some commentary from TV shows in those countries.... Yet they still support Hillary more.

Theory 3) Scandinavian countries not as liberal as they seem

As blasphemous as this must sound, if Scandinavian countries really prefer Hillary over Bernie, even when GOP candidates are listed as potential options and when Bernie likely has been getting at least some media coverage in Scandinavian countries, then is the reason for Hillary's lead due to those nations not being as liberal/leftist as we perceive them to be? Hillary is far closer to Obama in terms of policies than she is to Sanders, to the point that there is a clear ideological gap between the two in terms of how much to the left they go.... But if Media coverage is balanced and the poll isnt polling a warped sample of respondents, then maybe people in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland simply arnet that liberal

But this is Sweden and Norway we're talking about here!

Can anyone else come up with an explanation for why this is the way it is? I cant figure it out myself and ive been wondering bout it almost all day now

Social Democrats in Scandinavia are all strongly pro free trade. Noway they can support Sanders, with his free trade stance.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:44:22 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
My guess would be the most of them don't know who Sanders (or Kasich, and even Cruz) are. I know most of the people in Ireland and the U.K. don't.