Jump to topic:

Selling Intangibles Most Profitable

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 2:22:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Anyone notice that those who sell intangibles, like musicians and actors, make the most money?

They get paid to send a certain combination of sound waves into your ears or a certain combination of light rays into your eyes. You can't hold it and you can't eat it, but it sells like crazy.

(Maybe materialism is false after all, lol.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 3:01:49 PM
Gates's primary industry is software Cody-- a sequence of zeros and ones. Not the disks, but the ideas that the little bumps on the disk represent in computer languages.

Buffett, as an investor, "sells" the intangibles that back tangibly worthless currency and receives the intangible time value of tangibly worthless currency.

Jobs is a tweener, since his business, unlike Gates', really is about selling integrated hardware and software.

However, Exxon Mobil is a filthy rich company and no doubt its executives are richer than the average musician. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 8:54:56 AM
At 11/29/2010 2:22:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Anyone notice that those who sell intangibles, like musicians and actors, make the most money?

They get paid to send a certain combination of sound waves into your ears or a certain combination of light rays into your eyes. You can't hold it and you can't eat it, but it sells like crazy.

This is a really messed up assertion. First of all, these professions you mention are among the lowest paying, or non-paying jobs there are. I can't imagine a parent being terribly happy if their son declares that he is going to be a poet.

If you have a marketable profession and are very good at it, you will get paid well, and the better you are the more you will get paid. The professions you mention are not the highest paid professions, but are among the highest profile professions. If i remember correctly the highest professions are lawyers, doctors, and salesmen, but you won't see them on Entertainment Tonight.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 9:18:41 AM
Its cus like, anyone can pump gas. Engineers are probably responsible for 95% of the world's energy production, and most of them have never touched a surface valve.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:24:18 AM
At 11/30/2010 8:54:56 AM, innomen wrote:

This is a really messed up assertion. First of all, these professions you mention are among the lowest paying, or non-paying jobs there are. I can't imagine a parent being terribly happy if their son declares that he is going to be a poet.

If you have a marketable profession and are very good at it, you will get paid well, and the better you are the more you will get paid. The professions you mention are not the highest paid professions, but are among the highest profile professions. If i remember correctly the highest professions are lawyers, doctors, and salesmen, but you won't see them on Entertainment Tonight.

Last I checked Britney Spears had a mansion, Jay-Z probably has a yacht and a private jet, and Birdman has more than 10 cars.

I don't think any lawyers or doctors live like that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:30:51 AM
At 11/30/2010 11:24:18 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Last I checked Britney Spears had a mansion, Jay-Z probably has a yacht and a private jet, and Birdman has more than 10 cars.

On the whole they make far more money than musicians. Sure, if you are going to point out the onsies and twosies, but the wealthiest people in the world are not celebrities. Oh, and last i checked, that guy in the subway playing the sax was living in a homeless shelter - and there are a lot more of those guys than Britney Spears and Jay-Z (don't even know who that is).
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:31:24 AM

Yet hundreds of thousands of actors and musicians are, as the saying goes, "starving artists." Those professions have a high standard deviation in income, but the mean or median is crap.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 12:30:51 PM

Really?

The lowest average salary for a doctor is ~120k a year.
http://www.payscale.com...(MD)_Degrees/Salary

The average salary for a lawyer is over 100k in a lot of positions.
http://www.payscale.com...

Let's take a look at the average for musicians...
http://www.payscale.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown