Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Being Fat is Now Illegal in Japan

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 5:10:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
And the standard for fatness is very strict. You are required to a have a 33 waist line or lower. Even people with just a slight belly are considered illegally fat.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 6:36:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
lol, if they fined companies in the U.S. for having fat employees, companies would stop hiring fat people.

Then they would get fined under affirmative action laws for discriminating against fat people.

This law makes no sense - the incentive should go towards the individual, not the company they work for.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:00:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Meh, there's already a HUGE social stigma to being "fat" so most "fat" people are shamed into slimming down anyways. I put "fat" in quotes because what Japanese people call "fat" is very different

I remember my sis in law told her mom after coming back from America that she gained 5 pounds (so she's about 125 pounds) and her mom telling her that she looked a bit more chunky now that she mentioned it and that it's time to hit the gym. Brutal. lol
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:31:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
About time someone did something (not necessarily what I would do, but I applaud them for the effort).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:38:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 7:30:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
What if my waistline is 38, but my bodyfat is 8%?

well, you must be either really tall, or really buff (like extremely buff to extend your waste line that much), both of which are not too common in Japan.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:40:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 7:30:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
What if my waistline is 38, but my bodyfat is 8%?

Then you go to jail and stay there until you become emaciated enough so that you won't be fat, you disgusting fvcking pig. Even if it means looking like an underweight, disgusting supermodel.
I miss the old members.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:46:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is incredible discriminatory. It would actually be really funny if it wasn't so horrible. The funniest part being that a 33 in waist is actually fat to them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:55:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll be the first to admit that I don't really like fat people either but this is just absolutely terrible. Kind of at a loss right now lol
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 7:59:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 7:55:21 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't really like fat people either but this is just absolutely terrible. Kind of at a loss right now lol

If I had the money, I'd try to get like 1,000 people to go to Japan and wear fat suits everywhere.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 8:06:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 7:30:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
What if my waistline is 38, but my bodyfat is 8%?

Then you're not Japanese
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 8:23:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ya wouldn't it make a lot more sense to use body fat percentage or something.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Atheism
Posts: 2,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 8:23:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 8:04:40 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
What if my waist is 33", but I like pants with a 34" waist for some extra comfort?

At 11/29/2010 7:40:02 PM, Atheism wrote:
Then you go to jail and stay there until you become emaciated enough so that you won't be fat, you disgusting fvcking pig. Even if it means looking like an underweight, disgusting supermodel.
I miss the old members.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 8:25:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 8:23:21 PM, Atheism wrote:
At 11/29/2010 8:04:40 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
What if my waist is 33", but I like pants with a 34" waist for some extra comfort?

At 11/29/2010 7:40:02 PM, Atheism wrote:
Then you go to jail and stay there until you become emaciated enough so that you won't be fat, you disgusting fvcking pig. Even if it means looking like an underweight, disgusting supermodel.

Nah it measured waists, it didn't demand pant's size.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 6:00:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/29/2010 8:06:53 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/29/2010 7:30:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
What if my waistline is 38, but my bodyfat is 8%?

Then you're not Japanese

Interesting theory...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 6:23:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh, but actually, many companies do *encourage* you to lose weight. They'll often pay for your gym membership, and give you pay bonuses if you go more than 3x a week. Some large companies, like google, even have their own gyms/doctors on location and encourage people to work out during their lunch our.

I worked for a small company last summer and they didn't have any policies in place yet, but I sat in on a presentation where they were discussing ways to decrease their health-liabilities from all the uber fat people...without offending them :P
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 10:45:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 10:36:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
damn it this means more fat people coming to our country to escape persecution.

And then we will become *more* bigoted towards fat people too and develop similar policies.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 10:48:23 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 10:45:04 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/30/2010 10:36:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
damn it this means more fat people coming to our country to escape persecution.

And then we will become *more* bigoted towards fat people too and develop similar policies.

Not if the fat people make up a majority. Just imagine the horror when the fat people start ruling congress and make laws that make it illegal for others to be skinny.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 10:50:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 6:23:20 AM, Sieben wrote:
Oh, but actually, many companies do *encourage* you to lose weight. They'll often pay for your gym membership, and give you pay bonuses if you go more than 3x a week. Some large companies, like google, even have their own gyms/doctors on location and encourage people to work out during their lunch our.

I worked for a small company last summer and they didn't have any policies in place yet, but I sat in on a presentation where they were discussing ways to decrease their health-liabilities from all the uber fat people...without offending them :P

Yeah, Intel has a gym on campus and even an outdoor basketball court.

I also use to work for a small company that had a sectional counch and an Xbox 360 with a 60 inch TV in the break room. They had a different philosophy, apparently.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:31:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 10:48:23 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/30/2010 10:45:04 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/30/2010 10:36:22 AM, darkkermit wrote:
damn it this means more fat people coming to our country to escape persecution.

And then we will become *more* bigoted towards fat people too and develop similar policies.

Not if the fat people make up a majority. Just imagine the horror when the fat people start ruling congress and make laws that make it illegal for others to be skinny.

Paranoia will begin first.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Bipolarmoment
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:43:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 11:35:43 AM, Sieben wrote:
^Someone has to make porn for fat people to watch...

I'm not sure that the target audience of "fat people porn" is actually fat people. If it's truly a fantasy fetish then wouldn't only the person representing the watcher (i.e. same sex) be the one that should be fat? From my [ahem] experience it's generally reversed.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:47:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
This whole thing is actually kinda scary and hilarious. It sounds like a law a totalitarian society like North Korea or Nazi Germany would think up so the fact it's in Japan is even more amusing. However, I can partially understand their reasoning though as many buildings there are built small and compact in order to save space.
Bipolarmoment
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2010 11:53:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/30/2010 11:47:40 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
This whole thing is actually kinda scary and hilarious. It sounds like a law a totalitarian society like North Korea or Nazi Germany would think up so the fact it's in Japan is even more amusing. However, I can partially understand their reasoning though as many buildings there are built small and compact in order to save space.

As an Engineer I can respect this ironically in a simple way: Now knowing the true upper limit of potential passengers/users/etc. I can create things closer to that rather than guessing about averages and how far outside the mean (hint: 2 standard deviations max) we're willing to accommodate. But more importantly... where's the minimum?