Jump to topic:

DDOpia . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 5:26:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Some of you were talking about a theoretical nation on http://www.debate.org... discuss freely . . . *yawn*
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 5:32:08 PM
At 11/29/2010 5:29:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I seriously plan on creating a mirco-nation or two. When I do everyone here is invited.

Thought about how to defend some of your nations . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 5:34:31 PM
At 11/29/2010 5:32:08 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
I seriously plan on creating a mirco-nation or two. When I do everyone here is invited.

Well, I'm a Pacifist so I would use non-violent resistance and diplomacy.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2010 5:40:27 PM
At 11/29/2010 5:34:31 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Well that can work but only under certain circumstances could I advise an remote controlled drone system to do some of the defense work and you can design them for land, air, and sea . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:35:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Should we locate it on Alcatraz Island . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
:
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:42:54 PM
a discussion about what everyone thinks should be laws, and what their punishments should be would be cool.. i'd a chat like that with the boys one night.. 'twas funny.. rape came up.. as was expected lol.. and one of them said, "the charge for rape should only be like 6 months or something", to which another one of them replied, "that'd be daycent!, i'd just rape two women a year, that'd do me..." i lol'd
signature
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 3:47:43 PM

If I was invading you, that is the defense that I would want you to have, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:09:38 PM
At 1/27/2011 3:47:43 PM, OreEle wrote:

Can I be in charge of your military, OreEle?

This question assumes, of course, that I would not have my own nation. Otherwise, I would ask for an alliance, rather than a position.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:11:59 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:09:38 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

This question assumes, of course, that I would not have my own nation. Otherwise, I would ask for an alliance, rather than a position.

We can be allies, I'm too paranoid of a coup, lol. And since you are a reformed totalitarian, I can't trust you. However, I reserve the right not to defend you if I feel that you are in the wrong, and give you that same freedom.

I.E. if someone attacks you, I'll be there for you, if you attack someone else, sorry.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:17:39 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:11:59 PM, OreEle wrote:

We can be allies, I'm too paranoid of a coup, lol. And since you are a reformed totalitarian, I can't trust you.

By the same token, you're a raving statist, and I can't trust you. ;)

However, I reserve the right not to defend you if I feel that you are in the wrong, and give you that same freedom.

I would never think you were "in the wrong". Nihilist. Lol. I would, however, stand back in the case that you put yourself at a severe strategic disadvantage. :P

I.E. if someone attacks you, I'll be there for you, if you attack someone else, sorry.

What if that someone else is FREEDO?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:26:06 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:17:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

We can be allies, I'm too paranoid of a coup, lol. And since you are a reformed totalitarian, I can't trust you.

True, you can't. However, you know that I am not a nihilist, and that I care much for sticking true to my word. I may be a raving statist, but I'm not backstabber.

However, I reserve the right not to defend you if I feel that you are in the wrong, and give you that same freedom.

I would never think you were "in the wrong". Nihilist. Lol. I would, however, stand back in the case that you put yourself at a severe strategic disadvantage. :P

If I put myself in that situation, I don't expect you to help. However, if I'm attacked by a larger military, what would you do (assuming we had an alliance)?

I don't think we'd need each other's help, if the most he has is non-violent protesting, lol.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:35:48 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:26:06 PM, OreEle wrote:

True, you can't. However, you know that I am not a nihilist, and that I care much for sticking true to my word. I may be a raving statist, but I'm not backstabber.

Not all nihlists are dishonest manipulators. :P I'd probably trust you more if you were a nihilist. :)

If I put myself in that situation, I don't expect you to help. However, if I'm attacked by a larger military, what would you do (assuming we had an alliance)?

I suppose that it depends on the chance of victory. If my aiding you did not significantly increase the probability of a successful defense, then it wouldn't make sense to sacrifice all of those resources--thereby leaving myself extremely vulnerable, if not conquered--for nothing. If, on the other hand, the probability of repelling the invaders was, statistically speaking, far higher with my added resources, I might be more inclined to come to your assistance, since

A) repelling the invaders would leave you informally indebted to me

B) our perceived strength as an alliance would be more likely to deter other potential invaders

C) breaking an invasion might give us a gateway into either 1) conquering the invading country, 2) negotiating with the invader's leaders to gain some extremely favorable terms, and/or 3) opening relations with the invader's allies in the case that our enemy is part of an alliance (an alliance which, similar to our own, would be unlikely to assist a belligerent party in an invasion of another country, especially when the target country is itself part of a military alliance).

I don't think we'd need each other's help, if the most he has is non-violent protesting, lol.

It would be fun, though...?
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:41:34 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:35:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Not all nihlists are dishonest manipulators. :P I'd probably trust you more if you were a nihilist. :)

I suppose that it depends on the chance of victory. If my aiding you did not significantly increase the probability of a successful defense, then it wouldn't make sense to sacrifice all of those resources--thereby leaving myself extremely vulnerable, if not conquered--for nothing. If, on the other hand, the probability of repelling the invaders was, statistically speaking, far higher with my added resources, I might be more inclined to come to your assistance, since

B) our perceived strength as an alliance would be more likely to deter other potential invaders

C) breaking an invasion might give us a gateway into either 1) conquering the invading country, 2) negotiating with the invader's leaders to gain some extremely favorable terms, and/or 3) opening relations with the invader's allies in the case that our enemy is part of an alliance (an alliance which, similar to our own, would be unlikely to assist a belligerent party in an invasion of another country, especially when the target country is itself part of a military alliance).

http://www.alternet.org...
Minister Of Trolling
:
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 4:50:51 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:41:34 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

http://www.alternet.org...

I might actually take some classes with Xe this summer. They have a few open to civilians.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:07:01 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:58:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I wish we could have a DDO game of Diplomacy.

I thought about that once . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:09:06 PM

While, it is true that they are not, since they care less about the morals of their actions, they would be more inclined to stab someone in the back, if it meant a benefit to them, and it is that which I don't like.

See, even if stabbing you in the back was ultimately beneficial to me, I wouldn't, since I have honor in my words and alliances.

I suppose that it depends on the chance of victory. If my aiding you did not significantly increase the probability of a successful defense, then it wouldn't make sense to sacrifice all of those resources--thereby leaving myself extremely vulnerable, if not conquered--for nothing. If, on the other hand, the probability of repelling the invaders was, statistically speaking, far higher with my added resources, I might be more inclined to come to your assistance,

"significantly increase" is so subjective though. What makes something a worthy investment? Also, since it is difficult to calculate military costs prior to action, that is only going to make things more clouded as well.

since

No where in your reasoning was "because we have an alliance" which makes it seem that there is no reason to have it, since all your reasons are based outside of the alliance.

True that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:09:47 PM
At 1/27/2011 4:58:57 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I wish we could have a DDO game of Diplomacy.

That would be a lot of fun.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 5:48:55 PM
At 1/27/2011 5:09:06 PM, OreEle wrote:

While, it is true that they are not, since they care less about the morals of their actions, they would be more inclined to stab someone in the back, if it meant a benefit to them, and it is that which I don't like.

Depends on the consequences of backstabbing. A reputation for betrayal isn't a good thing to have.

See, even if stabbing you in the back was ultimately beneficial to me, I wouldn't, since I have honor in my words and alliances.

Eh. Honor is a pretty hollow concept, when it comes down to it. A convenient thing we've invented to keep people from f*cking us over when we're down.

I suppose that it depends on the chance of victory. If my aiding you did not significantly increase the probability of a successful defense, then it wouldn't make sense to sacrifice all of those resources--thereby leaving myself extremely vulnerable, if not conquered--for nothing. If, on the other hand, the probability of repelling the invaders was, statistically speaking, far higher with my added resources, I might be more inclined to come to your assistance,

"significantly increase" is so subjective though. What makes something a worthy investment?

Expected payoff.

Also, since it is difficult to calculate military costs prior to action, that is only going to make things more clouded as well.

It's difficult to calculate the cost of anything prior to doing it; however, that doesn't mean that you can't estimate. You look at the strength and number of your forces, your ally's forces, the enemy's forces, the ground where you're fighting, the kinds of technology available to both sides, the extent of each side's resources, the disposition of local populations (if applicable), and so forth.

since

No where in your reasoning was "because we have an alliance" which makes it seem that there is no reason to have it, since all your reasons are based outside of the alliance.

An alliance only exists when all parties believe it to their advantage to participate. Additionally, I'm not an advocate of purportedly selfless actions, and you know this. Putting those together, it seems vastly unlikely that I would jump in simply because we have an alliance. In giving the reasons why I would render assistance, I decided to skip the middleman (saying "because we have an alliance") and go right to the implications of the fact that we have an alliance (i.e. you would be indebted, we would appear more powerful to potential aggressors, we might have the resources to conquer the invader, etc.). You certainly can't expect me to believe that you would enter into a military alliance with another country out of the kindness of your heart.

True that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 7:10:00 PM
At 1/27/2011 5:48:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Depends on the consequences of backstabbing. A reputation for betrayal isn't a good thing to have.

Eh. Honor is a pretty hollow concept, when it comes down to it. A convenient thing we've invented to keep people from f*cking us over when we're down.

It's an invention that I think more people should have, lol.

"significantly increase" is so subjective though. What makes something a worthy investment?

Expected payoff.

Also, since it is difficult to calculate military costs prior to action, that is only going to make things more clouded as well.

It's difficult to calculate the cost of anything prior to doing it; however, that doesn't mean that you can't estimate. You look at the strength and number of your forces, your ally's forces, the enemy's forces, the ground where you're fighting, the kinds of technology available to both sides, the extent of each side's resources, the disposition of local populations (if applicable), and so forth.

True, everything has unforeseen variables, but battles and war have a lot more. It is also very difficult to gauge how one's people will react to different war effects.

since

An alliance only exists when all parties believe it to their advantage to participate. Additionally, I'm not an advocate of purportedly selfless actions, and you know this. Putting those together, it seems vastly unlikely that I would jump in simply because we have an alliance. In giving the reasons why I would render assistance, I decided to skip the middleman (saying "because we have an alliance") and go right to the implications of the fact that we have an alliance (i.e. you would be indebted, we would appear more powerful to potential aggressors, we might have the resources to conquer the invader, etc.). You certainly can't expect me to believe that you would enter into a military alliance with another country out of the kindness of your heart.

So it seems that whether we have an official alliance or not, if it is beneficial for you to help me you will do it. Therefore, the actual alliance is meaningless, so there is no point in doing it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:34:08 AM
If only I was rich I would genuinely establish a micro-nation, not many people here would get invites though.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 5:52:17 AM
At 1/28/2011 1:34:08 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
If only I was rich I would genuinely establish a micro-nation, not many people here would get invites though.

Hot chicks in miniskirts right . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 1:48:46 PM
I want in on this action.

Can I be the mayor?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:10:00 PM
My little part of DDOpia will probably be a craggy mountain region with bits of barbed wire and splinter-ridden wooden picket fence scattered about with various curses, creative insults and insane ramblings, that and the not-quite-ignorable sense of being watched.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:16:56 PM
DDOpia would be an interesting place with all the anarchists roaming around. Hah

Freedo would be the defacto ruler, and no one would even know it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:29:13 PM
At 1/27/2011 7:10:00 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/27/2011 5:48:55 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

It's an invention that I think more people should have, lol.

Mehhhhh. Jury's out.

Expected payoff.

True, everything has unforeseen variables, but battles and war have a lot more. It is also very difficult to gauge how one's people will react to different war effects.

Not really. I wouldn't be particularly concerned with that anyway.

So it seems that whether we have an official alliance or not, if it is beneficial for you to help me you will do it. Therefore, the actual alliance is meaningless, so there is no point in doing it.

If an alliance is an agreement to unconditionally aid other parties in defense of their country, then it would be impractical for any state to enter into such an agreement. We could have an alliance of a form other than that one. Example: If you're at war with another country, and you're fairly equally matched, and my involvement would turn the tide of the conflict, and the gains for joining either side are basically equal, it would be far better to be my ally than to gamble on whether I'll help you or help destroy you.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 9:00:46 PM
DDOpia . . . as a whole would most likely be an confederacy . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 8:34:39 PM
How are we going to incorporate all of the different political ideologies?
Are we going to devote a portion specifically to the anarchists in which the rest of DDO has no authority unless they pay off the an-caps?
Should we construct a DDO constitution?
Minister Of Trolling
:
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 8:43:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org...
We also need a landmass as a location for the nation, or we can pitch in for the construction of a rig, or conquer an abandoned one from wars prior, I say we need a separate landmass due to the fact we have so many capitalists and the only way for us to make sure we have our own trade system is to have complete control of our own ports.
Minister Of Trolling
: