Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

War on Work

Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 3:24:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 3:13:46 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2016 2:24:47 PM, Hayd wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

I love PragerU videos.

Same, I watched one on the minimum wage, and I think it changed my opinion on it lol. Same thing happens to me when I watch John Oliver too
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 3:26:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
How about pay people real wages, instead of trying to scam them out of as much as you can get.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
n7
Posts: 1,356
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 4:08:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 2:24:47 PM, Hayd wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

The guy in the video cites only one study (from a highly biased organization at that) to back up his statistics. This is very iffy with any claim someone makes. Multiple studies done by a variety of people reduces chances of any statistical anomalies, experimenter bias, or poor methodology.

The study cited has been critiqued as having the latter.
http://www.epi.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 4:25:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
It's from the Cato Institute, which is sponsored by the Kochs. It's the propaganda machine of the Kochs. I'm supposed to believe the Kochs can't afford to pay people more than minimum wage.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
BrendanD19
Posts: 2,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 5:38:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 4:25:30 PM, user13579 wrote:
It's from the Cato Institute, which is sponsored by the Kochs. It's the propaganda machine of the Kochs. I'm supposed to believe the Kochs can't afford to pay people more than minimum wage.

What better people to speak on behalf of small businessmen than the mega rich titans of industry. lol
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 5:54:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 3:26:09 PM, user13579 wrote:
How about pay people real wages, instead of trying to scam them out of as much as you can get.

How about being thankful for being offered a job at a place you would never personally take the risk to go bankrupt to create?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 5:56:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 3:24:12 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 4/29/2016 3:13:46 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2016 2:24:47 PM, Hayd wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

I love PragerU videos.

Same, I watched one on the minimum wage, and I think it changed my opinion on it lol. Same thing happens to me when I watch John Oliver too

Minimum wage laws are a criminal ban on jobs. That's a war on jobs.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 5:59:59 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:54:45 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/29/2016 3:26:09 PM, user13579 wrote:
How about pay people real wages, instead of trying to scam them out of as much as you can get.

How about being thankful for being offered a job at a place you would never personally take the risk to go bankrupt to create?

Yeah right, with something called limited liability a business owner won't go into personal bankruptcy. Just ask Donald Trump after his businesses went bankrupt 4 times without personally losing anything. Big government is good when it helps people who don't need the help.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:06:58 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:59:59 PM, user13579 wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:54:45 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/29/2016 3:26:09 PM, user13579 wrote:
How about pay people real wages, instead of trying to scam them out of as much as you can get.

How about being thankful for being offered a job at a place you would never personally take the risk to go bankrupt to create?

Yeah right, with something called limited liability a business owner won't go into personal bankruptcy. Just ask Donald Trump after his businesses went bankrupt 4 times without personally losing anything. Big government is good when it helps people who don't need the help.

If it was that easy, you would do it.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:16:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
So now you're defending big government when it helps rich people, but if poor people need money to not starve to death that's socialism.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:19:05 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:16:38 PM, user13579 wrote:
So now you're defending big government when it helps rich people, but if poor people need money to not starve to death that's socialism.

Poor people need jobs. You are making jobs for poor people illegal. I can't defend that.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:20:39 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:19:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:16:38 PM, user13579 wrote:
So now you're defending big government when it helps rich people, but if poor people need money to not starve to death that's socialism.

Poor people need jobs. You are making jobs for poor people illegal. I can't defend that.

So pay them more than slave wages.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:23:44 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:20:39 PM, user13579 wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:19:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:16:38 PM, user13579 wrote:
So now you're defending big government when it helps rich people, but if poor people need money to not starve to death that's socialism.

Poor people need jobs. You are making jobs for poor people illegal. I can't defend that.

So pay them more than slave wages.

How about you let them work instead of forcing them on welfare slavery?
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:24:22 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
You want to hire them, so why don't you pay them more than welfare?
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:26:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Poor people don't need money, they need opportunities.

Entry level jobs gives poor people a chance to gain the tools needed to promote themselves out of poverty.

Stop making entry jobs illegal, give the poor a chance.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:27:35 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:26:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Poor people don't need money, they need opportunities.

Entry level jobs gives poor people a chance to gain the tools needed to promote themselves out of poverty.

Stop making entry jobs illegal, give the poor a chance.

Entry level jobs aren't illegal. They just don't want your slave wages. They would starve to death on your slave wages.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:28:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:27:35 PM, user13579 wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:26:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Poor people don't need money, they need opportunities.

Entry level jobs gives poor people a chance to gain the tools needed to promote themselves out of poverty.

Stop making entry jobs illegal, give the poor a chance.

Entry level jobs aren't illegal. They just don't want your slave wages. They would starve to death on your slave wages.

Entry jobs are illegal.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:29:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:28:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:27:35 PM, user13579 wrote:
At 4/29/2016 6:26:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Poor people don't need money, they need opportunities.

Entry level jobs gives poor people a chance to gain the tools needed to promote themselves out of poverty.

Stop making entry jobs illegal, give the poor a chance.

Entry level jobs aren't illegal. They just don't want your slave wages. They would starve to death on your slave wages.

Entry jobs are illegal.

You must mean sub-minimum wage jobs. Like I said, slave wages.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:30:54 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
It's really sad, but a poor person today has more opportunities to learn job skills in prison than in the private sector.

Entry jobs are illegal; where are they going to go to get experience? Why prison of course. How compassionate!
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:33:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
The private sector must suck then. You want the private sector to run everything?
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:37:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:33:32 PM, user13579 wrote:
The private sector must suck then. You want the private sector to run everything?

It does suck, when entry jobs are declared illegal.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:39:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
They're not illegal. What's illegal is paying people slave wages where they starve to death, and then making empty promises of "promotion" if they pull themselves up by their bootstraps (that they can't afford because of slave wages).
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:40:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:39:55 PM, user13579 wrote:
They're not illegal. What's illegal is paying people slave wages where they starve to death, and then making empty promises of "promotion" if they pull themselves up by their bootstraps (that they can't afford because of slave wages).

Entry jobs are illegal.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:44:48 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
You must mean jobs that pay less than minimum wage. Yeah, those aren't even jobs. that's just slavery.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 7:51:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:44:48 PM, user13579 wrote:
You must mean jobs that pay less than minimum wage. Yeah, those aren't even jobs. that's just slavery.

Entry training jobs are illegal. A poor person has better access to job training in prison thanks to you.
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 8:07:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Why can't an "entry training job" pay more than welfare?
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 8:18:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 8:07:09 PM, user13579 wrote:
Why can't an "entry training job" pay more than welfare?

Because the pay is training, not money. Poor people need skills and opportunities, not welfare cash.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,067
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 11:36:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 8:07:09 PM, user13579 wrote:
Why can't an "entry training job" pay more than welfare?

Here's the basic idea:
You're not supposed to make a living off of "entry jobs". The idea is that while you're still living with your parents you get an "entry job". By the time you've moved out and are living on your own you have work experience, which allows you to secure jobs which do in fact pay a "living wage" and beyond. You would also have a college degree, hopefully.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid