Jump to topic:

Where is Trump going to get the votes?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:28:25 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Wising the 2012 numbers, the demographics look a little like this.

47% Male
53% Female(70% of women (7-10) have an unfavorable opinion of Trump)

----

72% White
13% Black(Trump is polling in the 4% - 12% range)
10% Hispanic(Unfavorable = 87%, Favorable = 9%)

----

32% Republican(Nearly 60% unvorable within the party)
38% Democratic(-70 net favorable)
29% Independent (-27 net favorable)
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:39:16 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:35:15 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
October surprise.

About the only path to victory I see.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:41:43 AM
Well, Clinton has a 25% unfavorable rating with Democrats. 62% of independents and 85% of Republicans also view her unfavorably. So it's not exactly landslide.
TrumpTriumph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:48:36 AM
Why are you assuming that current poll results matter?

They don't. At all.

He hasn't even started trying to appeal to general election voters yet -- he's still in the process of unifying the Republican party's core voter base around him (which, unsurprisingly, has been going very well thus far). He's a master of self-promotion, and I have no doubt that once he initiates the general election campaigning process, we'll see something very similar to what happened in the GOP primaries. His poll numbers simply do not have any upper-limit. It's extremely amusing to watch the "Trump will never win the Republican nomination" people fail to learn from their mistakes and evolve into "Trump will never win the general election" people.
#TrumpTriumph2016
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:48:55 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:41:43 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Well, Clinton has a 25% unfavorable rating with Democrats. 62% of independents and 85% of Republicans also view her unfavorably. So it's not exactly landslide.

Yea, I think it will be. A win is a very safe bet. A blowout is less so, but still one I will make.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:51:26 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:48:36 AM, TrumpTriumph wrote:

They don't. At all.

He hasn't even started trying to appeal to general election voters yet -- he's still in the process of unifying the Republican party's core voter base around him (which, unsurprisingly, has been going very well thus far). He's a master of self-promotion, and I have no doubt that once he initiates the general election campaigning process, we'll see something very similar to what happened in the GOP primaries. His poll numbers simply do not have any upper-limit. It's extremely amusing to watch the "Trump will never win the Republican nomination" people fail to learn from their mistakes and evolve into "Trump will never win the general election" people.

All that can be said of Clinton. She hasn't begun to pick apart the empty suit Trump.

Look man. He is NOT going to reverse the Hispanic, or Black vote blocks - he screwed them. He so messed-up the women vote. So.... He has what he has had from the start. Angry white men. That is not a mandate.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:51:50 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:48:55 AM, TBR wrote:

Yea, I think it will be. A win is a very safe bet. A blowout is less so, but still one I will make.

Assuming the election is tomorrow.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:53:06 AM

Most place the odds at 60-40 in favor of Clinton. Plus the threat of an FBI indictment hanging over her head. No, until that's resolved, I highly doubt it'll be a blowout. On the contrary, I think we'll see record low voter turnout
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:56:07 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:53:06 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Most place the odds at 60-40 in favor of Clinton. Plus the threat of an FBI indictment hanging over her head. No, until that's resolved, I highly doubt it'll be a blowout. On the contrary, I think we'll see record low voter turnout

An indictment is the only chance they have to make a dent.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:57:39 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:56:07 AM, TBR wrote:

How much of Sanders' base do you think Trump will gain?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:59:52 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:57:39 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 4/30/2016 12:56:07 AM, TBR wrote:

How much of Sanders' base do you think Trump will gain?

Small percentage. More will sit it out.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 12:59:55 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:28:25 AM, TBR wrote:

47% Male

----

72% White

----

Trumps largest supporter base will come from Latinos,Muslims and Rosie O'Donald.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:01:53 AM

They don't. At all.

He hasn't even started trying to appeal to general election voters yet -- he's still in the process of unifying the Republican party's core voter base around him (which, unsurprisingly, has been going very well thus far).

Lol, he's failing miserably. There are two candidates hellbent on trying to force a contested convention, and one of them have picked a VP to try to accomplish exactly that. Trump is by no means unifying the GOP voter base around him, and if he cant get Republicans to like him he sure as hell wont get Independents and Non-affiliated voters to swing to his side either.

His poll numbers simply do not have any upper-limit.

He has never once got north of 50% of the vote in nationwide GOP polling, or in other words, 'a majority'
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:05:33 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:59:55 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

47% Male

----

72% White

----

Trumps largest supporter base will come from Latinos,Muslims and Rosie O'Donald.

That will do it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:08:08 AM
At 4/30/2016 1:01:53 AM, imabench wrote:

They don't. At all.

He hasn't even started trying to appeal to general election voters yet -- he's still in the process of unifying the Republican party's core voter base around him (which, unsurprisingly, has been going very well thus far).

Lol, he's failing miserably. There are two candidates hellbent on trying to force a contested convention, and one of them have picked a VP to try to accomplish exactly that. Trump is by no means unifying the GOP voter base around him, and if he cant get Republicans to like him he sure as hell wont get Independents and Non-affiliated voters to swing to his side either.

He has never once got north of 50% of the vote in nationwide GOP polling, or in other words, 'a majority'

I have no idea why this is not occurring to the Trump supporters. Well, I have ideas why, but its like they never even considered they were going to have to run a general, and that every demo is stacked against the guy. The GOP can not run on white Christian men any more.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:13:34 AM
He isn't going to get the votes, Clinton will kick Trump's a$$ so hard he wont be able to find it.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
TrumpTriumph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:23:33 AM
At 4/30/2016 12:51:26 AM, TBR wrote:
All that can be said of Clinton. She hasn't begun to pick apart the empty suit Trump.

Skepsikyma has already posted about this at length -- you should read what he's written. It's obvious that Trump has way more leverage over Clinton than she has over him. He'll make Clinton look like a dishonest corporatist scumbag who doesn't mean anything she says, whereas the worst Clinton can do is recite the standard "Trump is racist, sexist, has no political experience, yadda yadda yadda" spiel. They're criticisms that have already proven to be fairly ineffective, and Trump will easily be able to shoot them down.

The American population as a whole has developed a strong anti-establishment, anti-elitist, anti-corporatist streak in recent years, and Trump will be able to tap into that vein to turn people against Clinton en masse.

Look man. He is NOT going to reverse the Hispanic, or Black vote blocks - he screwed them. He so messed-up the women vote. So.... He has what he has had from the start. Angry white men. That is not a mandate.

We'll see. I think he'll be able to set their priorities straight. They'll realize that there's nothing to be offended about, and that he'd be far better for their pragmatic self-interests than Clinton would.
#TrumpTriumph2016
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:28:03 AM
At 4/30/2016 1:23:33 AM, TrumpTriumph wrote:

Skepsikyma has already posted about this at length -- you should read what he's written. It's obvious that Trump has way more leverage over Clinton than she has over him.

This is the wishful thinking of all the Trump guys.

He'll make Clinton look like a dishonest corporatist scumbag who doesn't mean anything she says, whereas the worst Clinton can do is recite the standard "Trump is racist, sexist, has no political experience, yadda yadda yadda" spiel. They're criticisms that have already proven to be fairly ineffective, and Trump will easily be able to shoot them down.

Trump is also a dishonest, corporatism scumbag. Like he has plenty of scumbaggery in his past. This part will be fun to watch.

The American population as a whole has developed a strong anti-establishment, anti-elitist, anti-corporatist streak in recent years, and Trump will be able to tap into that vein to turn people against Clinton en masse.

This is the only truth you got. It does not mean that anyone is willing to hand the POTUS to a buffoon like Trump.

We'll see. I think he'll be able to set their priorities straight. They'll realize that there's nothing to be offended about, and that he'd be far better for their pragmatic self-interests than Clinton would.

What an arrogant thing to say. Just like Trump. No, they are not going to flip, and without all the groups that Trump has pissed on, he will lose - simple as that.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:37:05 AM
At 4/30/2016 1:01:53 AM, imabench wrote:

They don't. At all.

3 candidates an equal share would be 33%, considering he almost has the 50% despite there being 3 candidates it's pretty easy to argue that he holds the majority. And he got 49% in February 24-27 with 5 candidates [1].

There are 3 candidates in the field and he's growing ever so close.

Trump's most recent poll:
2016 Republican Presidential NominationIBD/TIPPTrump 48, Cruz 29, Kasich 16Trump +19

Clinton's average is 49.4 also not at that majority with only 2 on the field.

Clinton's most recent poll:
2016 Democratic Presidential NominationIBD/TIPPClinton 49, Sanders 43Clinton +6

And when he does surpass that 50%, people will still make excuses dismissing it.

[1] http://i2.cdn.turner.com...
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:11:24 AM

47% Male

----

72% White

----

And yet most of the polls I have seen for a Clinton Trump general election have Clinton barely winning by a few percentage points (well within the margin of error on some of them, and all close enough to where swaying public opinion can make a huge difference), something that the Sanders campaign has brought up repeatedly.

But given the polls recent failures at predicting Trumps downfall thus far as well as Trumps ever increasing momentum, i am starting to grudgingly accept that Trump may in fact have a chance. Still a small chance at this point, but a chance none the less. His defeat is no longer the certainty that it once was.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:16:07 AM
Events in Europe and probably, but hopefully not, here this summer are going to give us a lot of talking points about the need for gun rights and border security. Not to mention that Clinton is an absolutely horrible horrible candidate. This is part of the reason the GOP establishment is so annoyed with Trump...this was the one election in years they thought they actually had a shot at.

Not to mention that leftist agitators are going to be trying to shut down his rallies everywhere, sometimes violently. Normal people are so sick of this. Already they're coming close to making Trump and his supporters into sympathetic figures, and Hillary is stupid enough to throw her lot in with the protestors when the time comes. Trump is right...he hasn't even started on her
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:17:41 AM
Also, Trump is going to make some of the women the Clinton's abused household names. You can count on that.

It's going to be an incredibly nasty election
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:39:03 AM
Trump said he'll do more for women than Clinton ever will so...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:21:18 PM

They don't. At all.

You forgot to mention people voting for Cruz and Kasich he would NEED to help him. And guess what? He isn't getting our help if he gets the nomination.
Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:25:10 PM
At 4/30/2016 5:11:24 AM, 58539672 wrote:

47% Male

----

72% White

----

And yet most of the polls I have seen for a Clinton Trump general election have Clinton barely winning by a few percentage points (well within the margin of error on some of them, and all close enough to where swaying public opinion can make a huge difference), something that the Sanders campaign has brought up repeatedly.

But given the polls recent failures at predicting Trumps downfall thus far as well as Trumps ever increasing momentum, i am starting to grudgingly accept that Trump may in fact have a chance. Still a small chance at this point, but a chance none the less. His defeat is no longer the certainty that it once was.

If you think Trump is going to have a chance you are insane. Most of us Cruz and Kasich voters will not vote for him and don't like him so much so we are partly the cause for some of the violent protest against him despite what Fox News reports because they don't like reporting the truth on certain things.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:55:28 PM
At 4/30/2016 1:23:33 AM, TrumpTriumph wrote:

Skepsikyma has already posted about this at length -- you should read what he's written. It's obvious that Trump has way more leverage over Clinton than she has over him. He'll make Clinton look like a dishonest corporatist scumbag who doesn't mean anything she says, whereas the worst Clinton can do is recite the standard "Trump is racist, sexist, has no political experience, yadda yadda yadda" spiel. They're criticisms that have already proven to be fairly ineffective, and Trump will easily be able to shoot them down.

Well, they haven't realized that Sanders is far better for their pragmatic self-interest than Clinton, so don't hold your breath on that one.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 2:11:18 PM
At 4/30/2016 1:21:18 PM, Haroush wrote:

They don't. At all.

You forgot to mention people voting for Cruz and Kasich he would NEED to help him. And guess what? He isn't getting our help if he gets the nomination.

Yup. The party is not uniting behind him.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 2:12:38 PM

They don't. At all.

I expect the black vote to change once Trump goes against Clinton one on one. This is a topic on which she is particularly weak, and Trump is going to hit her even harder than Obama did.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -