Jump to topic:

The death penalty should be used

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:44:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
The death penalty should be used instead of life sentences. Life sentences serve no purpose. If a person has committed a crime/numerous crimes that are so serious that a justice system decides the person never deserves to be released from prison the continued imprisonment of them serves no purpose.

The point of prison is to reform criminals, punish criminals, deliver justice to their victims and deter potential criminals from breaking the law. It is pointless reforming someone if they are never allowed to leave prison. Victims get the justice they deserve if the criminal is given the death penalty. The death penalty is the best form of deterrent and the most severe type of punishment.

Incarcerating criminals for their entire lives is also a waste of money. Their is nothing to be gained from it.

I know people are going to say that some innocent people may be wrongly executed. However this is rare and the small risk of it happening is worth the benefits of using the death penalty. If there is significant doubt of someone's guilt their execution could be postponed until their guilt is deemed a certainty.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
user13579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 6:21:32 PM
Ok. So why not use the same "deterrent" for ALL crimes? You'll stop all crime that way.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
KingDavid8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 6:36:32 PM
At 4/30/2016 5:44:00 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
The death penalty is the best form of deterrent and the most severe type of punishment.

Studies show it doesn't act as a deterrent at all, and in fact states with the death penalty tend to have higher homicide rates than those without. If we want to show people that killing is wrong, the state should set an example by not killing people. I don't object to police killing armed criminals if someone's life is in danger, but when we put someone to death, they're already behind bars, unarmed, and helpless.

Incarcerating criminals for their entire lives is also a waste of money. Their is nothing to be gained from it.

It actually costs more to go through the whole process of executing a criminal than it does to keep them in jail for life.

I know people are going to say that some innocent people may be wrongly executed. However this is rare and the small risk of it happening is worth the benefits of using the death penalty.

What benefits?

If there is significant doubt of someone's guilt their execution could be postponed until their guilt is deemed a certainty.

Unfortunately, what often happens is that if a person is accused of murder and the evidence isn't enough to convict, the authorities tell the person that if they don't confess, they'll be executed if found guilty, but that if they confess, they'll just get life in prison. This is a strong motivation for an innocent person to confess to a crime they didn't commit. Take the death penalty off the table up front, and innocent people will be far less likely to confess to crimes they didn't commit