Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

What Would You Do?

EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat).
KingDavid8
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 10:46:15 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Universal Basic Income equal to a living wage for all individuals and families in the USA. It would end poverty immediately, and people having more to spend would keep businesses going, and people's desire for more than just a basic income would make it so there is still a desire to work. I would also end all forms of welfare (now unnecessary) and get rid of the minimum wage (also now unnecessary).
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 11:42:16 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:46:15 PM, KingDavid8 wrote:
Universal Basic Income equal to a living wage for all individuals and families in the USA. It would end poverty immediately, and people having more to spend would keep businesses going, and people's desire for more than just a basic income would make it so there is still a desire to work. I would also end all forms of welfare (now unnecessary) and get rid of the minimum wage (also now unnecessary).

An interesting idea. How would it work logistically? Where would the money come from? How would it be delivered to everyone? Census data leaves out tens of thousands, if not more, people, particularly the disenfranchised.
KingDavid8
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 10:29:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 11:42:16 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

An interesting idea. How would it work logistically? Where would the money come from? How would it be delivered to everyone? Census data leaves out tens of thousands, if not more, people, particularly the disenfranchised.

It would come from taxes. The UBI payments would not be taxed, but we could raise income taxes, corporate taxes, or sales taxes on non-essential items to make up for it. With pretty much everyone having money to spend, businesses would do well. Ending all other welfare programs would go a long ways, also. And with people's needs being met, there will be less crime and stress-related illnesses, which will also save money on prison and medical costs. And businesses (who won't have a minimum wage) can afford to pay their employees less, since the employees are already making a living wage, which means more profits for them, so they can afford the higher taxes. And with automation becoming cheaper, many businesses can easily afford to replace their employees with machines without having to worry that those employees will end up in poverty. The idea has been tested in many communities, and has been successful.

If people simply can't be found, then they don't get any money. But assuming they know the money is there for them if they want it, most of the disenfranchised would let themselves be found. If they really don't want to be part of it, then no one will force them to be. The UBI payments could be distributed in many ways, from auto deposits to bank accounts to having a place where people can pick up their checks. There would be little red tape, since there's no need to determine if people are worthy of receiving the money (as there is with the current welfare systems). The only worry would be someone picking up multiple payments through identity fraud, but there are ways, such as using fingerprints, to prevent this kind of thing from being common.
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 10:36:46 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
National Origins Act-style quota, but applied with equal stringency to all prospective immigrant groups.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
walker_harris3
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 11:22:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 10:29:18 PM, KingDavid8 wrote:
At 5/2/2016 11:42:16 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

An interesting idea. How would it work logistically? Where would the money come from? How would it be delivered to everyone? Census data leaves out tens of thousands, if not more, people, particularly the disenfranchised.

It would come from taxes. The UBI payments would not be taxed, but we could raise income taxes, corporate taxes, or sales taxes on non-essential items to make up for it. With pretty much everyone having money to spend, businesses would do well. Ending all other welfare programs would go a long ways, also. And with people's needs being met, there will be less crime and stress-related illnesses, which will also save money on prison and medical costs. And businesses (who won't have a minimum wage) can afford to pay their employees less, since the employees are already making a living wage, which means more profits for them, so they can afford the higher taxes. And with automation becoming cheaper, many businesses can easily afford to replace their employees with machines without having to worry that those employees will end up in poverty. The idea has been tested in many communities, and has been successful.

If people simply can't be found, then they don't get any money. But assuming they know the money is there for them if they want it, most of the disenfranchised would let themselves be found. If they really don't want to be part of it, then no one will force them to be. The UBI payments could be distributed in many ways, from auto deposits to bank accounts to having a place where people can pick up their checks. There would be little red tape, since there's no need to determine if people are worthy of receiving the money (as there is with the current welfare systems). The only worry would be someone picking up multiple payments through identity fraud, but there are ways, such as using fingerprints, to prevent this kind of thing from being common.

Raising taxes negates the goal of this plan. Tax increases for this living wage will get people out of poverty definitely, but will have a negative effect on middle class families and businesses as they will have less expendable income to dish out and businesses will have smaller profit margins based on the tax increase and will have less of a chance to become successful and hire people. So really this will just create a large lower class instead of creating upward mobility. This could work if we ran budget surpluses every year, but that will never happen if we continue our current spending levels.
KingDavid8
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 1:02:46 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 11:22:43 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Raising taxes negates the goal of this plan. Tax increases for this living wage will get people out of poverty definitely, but will have a negative effect on middle class families and businesses as they will have less expendable income to dish out and businesses will have smaller profit margins based on the tax increase and will have less of a chance to become successful and hire people.

If middle class families and businesses have "less expendable income", then where is that money going in my plan? To people who will spend that money on goods and services (where they largely wouldn't have been able to do so if they were still in poverty - poor people don't spend much). That money is almost all going back into the business community, to those who provide goods and services. As long as these people getting the money are spending it on goods and services, there will be businesses to meet their demand. If they need to hire people to help meet that demand, then great. And keep in mind that they don't have to pay any employees a living wage, since they've already got one. Paying someone $3/hour would be pretty decent. If it's more cost-effective to use automation, then that's fine, too. Keep in mind that the people running these businesses are also getting the UBI, so any profits they make on their goods and services are extra spending money for them.
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 2:21:34 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat).

I would pass a policy that makes it not cheating. c:
Meh!
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 2:47:02 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Hm... tough one. I'm going to go with radical changes here. I'll give a top three (my top one being the one I choose):
1. Entitlement/welfare reform. I'd prefer to see Social Security either radically overhauled or done away with altogether, and while we are at it abolish most or all welfare programs and replace them with a negative income tax (Friedman's idea).
2. Union reform (very close second). There will be a total ban on all public-sector unions; they can exist as lobbying groups, but there will be no collective bargaining. A national right-to-work law will be passed for private-sector unions, and all unions must face a recertification vote every four years. To compensate, unions will not be required to bargain for non-union workers.
3. Tax reform. Replace the current tax code with a flat tax on all earned income with few if any deductions (this could also implement the negative income tax).
oo00
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 3:38:53 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat). : :

I would write up a policy to stop the enslavement of U.S. politicians by large donations from the corporate world. I would make a law that the highest dollar amount of money that any one person or entity could give to a politician running for office at $25. This would stop many people from becoming career politicians and make anyone running for office more serious about who they are representing.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 10:50:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 10:36:46 PM, someloser wrote:
National Origins Act-style quota, but applied with equal stringency to all prospective immigrant groups.

How would you modify the percentages based on the size of current groups within the US?
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 10:51:57 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 11:00:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Repeal the commerce clause.

So...you don't want the national government to handle trade with foreign nations or across state lines? What would this accomplish?
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 10:54:58 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 2:47:02 AM, TN05 wrote:
Hm... tough one. I'm going to go with radical changes here. I'll give a top three (my top one being the one I choose):
1. Entitlement/welfare reform. I'd prefer to see Social Security either radically overhauled or done away with altogether, and while we are at it abolish most or all welfare programs and replace them with a negative income tax (Friedman's idea).

I think this would count as 2. Though I agree that Social Security is outdated.

2. Union reform (very close second). There will be a total ban on all public-sector unions; they can exist as lobbying groups, but there will be no collective bargaining. A national right-to-work law will be passed for private-sector unions, and all unions must face a recertification vote every four years. To compensate, unions will not be required to bargain for non-union workers.

So...if unions can't negotiate with employers (which is what collective bargaining is), then how can they do anything without Congress?

3. Tax reform. Replace the current tax code with a flat tax on all earned income with few if any deductions (this could also implement the negative income tax).
KingDavid8
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 11:32:49 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
One idea I like regarding campaign finance reform is that all donations must be done anonymously. If a corporation wants to give money to a candidate, fine, but the candidate (and his advisers) can never find out where the money came from. For anyone from the corporation to even mention their donation to anyone involved in a candidate's campaign is considered like "insider trading". That way the candidate is never beholden to any specific entities.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 12:10:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 10:54:58 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/3/2016 2:47:02 AM, TN05 wrote:
Hm... tough one. I'm going to go with radical changes here. I'll give a top three (my top one being the one I choose):
1. Entitlement/welfare reform. I'd prefer to see Social Security either radically overhauled or done away with altogether, and while we are at it abolish most or all welfare programs and replace them with a negative income tax (Friedman's idea).

I think this would count as 2. Though I agree that Social Security is outdated.

2. Union reform (very close second). There will be a total ban on all public-sector unions; they can exist as lobbying groups, but there will be no collective bargaining. A national right-to-work law will be passed for private-sector unions, and all unions must face a recertification vote every four years. To compensate, unions will not be required to bargain for non-union workers.

So...if unions can't negotiate with employers (which is what collective bargaining is), then how can they do anything without Congress?

Only public sector unions would have this ban.

3. Tax reform. Replace the current tax code with a flat tax on all earned income with few if any deductions (this could also implement the negative income tax).
imabench
Posts: 21,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 2:04:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat).

Reformation of voting (An amendment) where people can list a primary choice and a secondary choice on the ballot, and if the primary choice doesnt get enough votes to be one of the top 2 people on the final ballot, then their vote transfers to their secondary choice.

I sh*t on third party voting quite a bit, but at the same time I am genuinely curious to see if people would throw third party candidates a bone if given the insurance that they arent 'wasting their vote' by doing so. Im sure it would also help with gridlock in Congress if there were a couple more straggler congressmen who arent a part of the two main parties to help move legislation
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 3:55:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 10:51:57 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/2/2016 11:00:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Repeal the commerce clause.

So...you don't want the national government to handle trade with foreign nations or across state lines? What would this accomplish?

It would make an inefficient, crony, state controlled economy illegal.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 3:57:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 10:51:57 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/2/2016 11:00:06 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Repeal the commerce clause.

So...you don't want the national government to handle trade with foreign nations or across state lines? What would this accomplish?

Also this would immediately solve much of the drivers for campaign finance(bribery) abuse. The only thing left to eliminate the rest of the bribes will be to implement a fair tax with no exceptions.
KingDavid8
Posts: 63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:42:03 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 2:04:21 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat).

Reformation of voting (An amendment) where people can list a primary choice and a secondary choice on the ballot, and if the primary choice doesnt get enough votes to be one of the top 2 people on the final ballot, then their vote transfers to their secondary choice.

I sh*t on third party voting quite a bit, but at the same time I am genuinely curious to see if people would throw third party candidates a bone if given the insurance that they arent 'wasting their vote' by doing so. Im sure it would also help with gridlock in Congress if there were a couple more straggler congressmen who arent a part of the two main parties to help move legislation

I like this idea a lot.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 7:36:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

Idealistically:

I would restrict the ability of unfit parents having children. I'd require the prospective parents to be of a sound mental capacity, good financial standing with the means to provide a comfortable lifestyle for their child, and no serious inheritable diseases that would produce a sub-par specimen.

Realistically:

A voluntary eugenics and selective breeding program.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 7:38:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
In truth I'd like to see Social Security done away with. I'm paying into a system I'll never receive a return on and it's infuriating.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 7:39:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 10:19:24 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
So if you could get any one policy passed in the United States, what would it be and why?

And since someone's going to try it, no policies may be passed which, in any way, shape, or form, result in you or anyone you delegate to being able to pass another policy. Ever. (Essentially, please don't cheat).

Oh so you can't wish for more wishes or wish to be a genie? lol
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 7:45:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 10:50:43 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 5/2/2016 10:36:46 PM, someloser wrote:
National Origins Act-style quota, but applied with equal stringency to all prospective immigrant groups.

How would you modify the percentages based on the size of current groups within the US?
Given how large certain groups (and their posterity) are already, I would bring it down to around 0.02%
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw