Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The GOP Day of Reckoning

PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee. However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 7:12:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee.
Whoa- hold your horses there let's not get to wild on the predictions
However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

This nomination process has proven the difficulty and predicting the future. However, I doubt that the GOP would fracture, unless a third party member gains prominent support during the general election. What is likely to happen is that around three quarters of republicans will support Trump, some albeit begrudgingly. The other quarter or third would never accept such a candidate, and rightly so.

This is going to be very similar to the election in (I think) 1968, Goldwater vs. Johnson. Goldwater was a republican populist candidate who gained a lot of support from the (at the time) racist south, who were democrats. However his policies alienated many sensible Republicans who refused to support him. When it came time for election, Goldwaters campaign for nomination prevented him from being elected and ended up losing by the biggest margin since 1820.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
vortex86
Posts: 571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:37:47 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 7:12:18 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee.
Whoa- hold your horses there let's not get to wild on the predictions
However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

This nomination process has proven the difficulty and predicting the future. However, I doubt that the GOP would fracture, unless a third party member gains prominent support during the general election. What is likely to happen is that around three quarters of republicans will support Trump, some albeit begrudgingly. The other quarter or third would never accept such a candidate, and rightly so.

This is going to be very similar to the election in (I think) 1968, Goldwater vs. Johnson. Goldwater was a republican populist candidate who gained a lot of support from the (at the time) racist south, who were democrats. However his policies alienated many sensible Republicans who refused to support him. When it came time for election, Goldwaters campaign for nomination prevented him from being elected and ended up losing by the biggest margin since 1820.

This is wishful thinking. It's definitely not going to be a blowout. Fortunately for Trump he's running against Hillary.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:41:58 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee. However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

I'm hoping a little of both happens. That the crappy insane GOP parts will fracture and be left to rot in the ditch, while Trump converts pragmatic Democrats into his tent.
ofmega
Posts: 36
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:45:03 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
What this is really about is voter turnout. There are some places where a republican has a very good chance of winning some state or local office, and they need a big turnout. Even if the republicans were voting for Cruz for president and everyone expected him to lose, the republicans still want everyone to go to the polls to vote for our guy, and while they are there vote for the other republican candidates.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:54:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

And don't forget the part where he was like all anti-illegal immigrants but hired them to build his tower so he could save money...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?
someloser
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:58:44 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture?
It will fracture (already has, in a sense), and for the better.

Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior?
Yep

Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.
Maybe some of them. The majority either won't interfere or side with him.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:19:35 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

PP: socially moderate, like I said.
Gun control: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
Eminent domain: For Keystone pipeline... a conservative pursuit

What I'm getting at is that he's more conservative than most people make him out to be. That doesn't mean he's Rick Santorum, calm down.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:24:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee. However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

One of a few likely outcomes for the election:
1. Trump wins, GoP establishment shoots off into 3rd party. Conservative vote split, Democrats win. Situation would go vice versa if Trump loses.

2.Trump wins, GoP establishment eventually assimilates (Much like what Chris Christie, Ben Carson did). Trump wins by a land slide, a split in the Democratic vote (given the controversy of Hilary) would like to contribute to this.

3. Trump wins, the fitnah of the Dajjal begins in earnest.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:25:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Am I speaking Chinese here? Helllooo... Hillary is Ann Coulter compared to Trump.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:49:14 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:19:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

PP: socially moderate, like I said.
Gun control: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
Eminent domain: For Keystone pipeline... a conservative pursuit

What I'm getting at is that he's more conservative than most people make him out to be. That doesn't mean he's Rick Santorum, calm down.

Oh he's definitely conservative, he just rejects some basic cores of conservatism like abortion.

Well, the most accurate method of describing one past political advocacy, is definitely the advocate himself. Is that why in 2000 he supported a ban on assault weapons and has donated funds to Democrats who are avid supporters of gun control?

You couldn't name one former Republican candidate who has supported more Democrats and leftist policies than Trump, or rather any prominent conservative in general...

And true, the Keystone Pipeline does use eminent domain, and many conservatives support the IDEA of a transnational pipeline. But does that mean being a yuge advocate of eminent domain, "a process by which government can force citizens to sell their property for public use," really a conservative idea? Big government vs individual rights to property? I think not.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,313
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:54:53 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?

You donate to the people that make the most crooked laws, that would be the Dems.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 10:55:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?

lol I can see why he supported Rahm Emanuel because he voted no on restricting bankruptcy rules
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 11:01:13 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:54:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?

You donate to the people that make the most crooked laws, that would be the Dems.

Yet somehow he'll combat corporatism? These just sound like pitiful excuse for Donald Trump's support of leftist elitists who hes supposedly so strong against.

But oh no, Trump says otherwise. That means it must be true! His word has the most weight, because hes only the candidate who switches his party alignment every presidential election. Who got a 76% degree of falsity on Politifact. WHo has been cited numerous times for faulty sources. He's not crooked because he's a business man, he's not a politician. He only gives the money. The politicians receive it. He just does it for the money.
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 11:04:32 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 11:01:13 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:54:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?

You donate to the people that make the most crooked laws, that would be the Dems.

Yet somehow he'll combat corporatism? These just sound like pitiful excuse for Donald Trump's support of leftist elitists who hes supposedly so strong against.

But oh no, Trump says otherwise. That means it must be true! His word has the most weight, because hes only the candidate who switches his party alignment every presidential election. Who got a 76% degree of falsity on Politifact. WHo has been cited numerous times for faulty sources. He's not crooked because he's a business man, he's not a politician. He only gives the money. The politicians receive it. He just does it for the money.

Frankly, I don't see any evidence of him ever actually doing anything that proves what he says hes going to do. In fact, he usually does the opposite. Then his supporters say "exactly, since he has experience in it he'll know best how to defeat it". Yet, politicians are as involved in this situation as the business man apparently, so therefore they share the same experience and should be as adept in fighting it. But nooo they won't because they're the "evil crooooked establishment"
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 11:08:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 11:04:32 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 11:01:13 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:54:53 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:51:00 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:27:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:04:26 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:59:57 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:57:09 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:55:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:52:34 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

Oh yeah, and saying it was all Bush's fault, supporting Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, very very conservative

Hillary is more conservative than Trump, just ask any #nevertrump member.

Oh! and don't forget Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as well. Aren't they supposed to be the Liberal Elites?

I'm sorry, was that unclear? Hillary is a female Reagan compared to Trump.

By far, my favorite Democrat that Trump has supported has to be Rahm Emanuel, the very successful mayor of Chicago

Also, i think it's very cute that you think businessmen bribe politicians because of political beliefs and not because of money.
I mean this post is completely idiotic. If he's such a good businessman, wouldn't he support the policies that were best for business? Or does he just support politicians that even though he doesn't believe they'll be good for the country, he'll support them anyways and disregard their poor constituents in order for a little favor for himself?

Then why not just donate to Republican politicians who share the same beliefs while being good for business?

You donate to the people that make the most crooked laws, that would be the Dems.

Yet somehow he'll combat corporatism? These just sound like pitiful excuse for Donald Trump's support of leftist elitists who hes supposedly so strong against.

But oh no, Trump says otherwise. That means it must be true! His word has the most weight, because hes only the candidate who switches his party alignment every presidential election. Who got a 76% degree of falsity on Politifact. WHo has been cited numerous times for faulty sources. He's not crooked because he's a business man, he's not a politician. He only gives the money. The politicians receive it. He just does it for the money.

Frankly, I don't see any evidence of him ever actually doing anything that proves what he says hes going to do. In fact, he usually does the opposite. Then his supporters say "exactly, since he has experience in it he'll know best how to defeat it". Yet, politicians are as involved in this situation as the business man apparently, so therefore they share the same experience and should be as adept in fighting it. But nooo they won't because they're the "evil crooooked establishment"
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:06:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 10:49:14 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:19:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

PP: socially moderate, like I said.
Gun control: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
Eminent domain: For Keystone pipeline... a conservative pursuit

What I'm getting at is that he's more conservative than most people make him out to be. That doesn't mean he's Rick Santorum, calm down.

Oh he's definitely conservative, he just rejects some basic cores of conservatism like abortion.

Eh, he's not conservative. He's got some conservative views, but as you say, he rejects some of the core values. He is pro-life, but not too staunchly.

Well, the most accurate method of describing one past political advocacy, is definitely the advocate himself. Is that why in 2000 he supported a ban on assault weapons and has donated funds to Democrats who are avid supporters of gun control?

He was a popular, fickle businessman. The popularity required doing things to please the people. I'm willing to risk that he'll stay with what he's said in the presidency, as it's far more important.

You couldn't name one former Republican candidate who has supported more Democrats and leftist policies than Trump, or rather any prominent conservative in general...

You're using the term Republican loosely. Trump is not a Republican. He's a moderate with some radical conservative views.

And true, the Keystone Pipeline does use eminent domain, and many conservatives support the IDEA of a transnational pipeline. But does that mean being a yuge advocate of eminent domain, "a process by which government can force citizens to sell their property for public use," really a conservative idea? Big government vs individual rights to property? I think not.

It's not. But, conservatives are willing to circumstantially allow eminent domain for the purpose of a Keystone Pipeline, which they think will be of greater benefit than eminent domain will be. So, the it's using progressive means to achieve a conservative end.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Sam7411
Posts: 959
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:36:37 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 12:06:43 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:49:14 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:19:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

PP: socially moderate, like I said.
Gun control: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
Eminent domain: For Keystone pipeline... a conservative pursuit

What I'm getting at is that he's more conservative than most people make him out to be. That doesn't mean he's Rick Santorum, calm down.

Oh he's definitely conservative, he just rejects some basic cores of conservatism like abortion.

Eh, he's not conservative. He's got some conservative views, but as you say, he rejects some of the core values. He is pro-life, but not too staunchly.

Well, the most accurate method of describing one past political advocacy, is definitely the advocate himself. Is that why in 2000 he supported a ban on assault weapons and has donated funds to Democrats who are avid supporters of gun control?

He was a popular, fickle businessman. The popularity required doing things to please the people. I'm willing to risk that he'll stay with what he's said in the presidency, as it's far more important.
I think you just effectively describe his presidency as well. And what the heck to do you mean in the second sentence?

You couldn't name one former Republican candidate who has supported more Democrats and leftist policies than Trump, or rather any prominent conservative in general...

You're using the term Republican loosely. Trump is not a Republican. He's a moderate with some radical conservative views.

And true, the Keystone Pipeline does use eminent domain, and many conservatives support the IDEA of a transnational pipeline. But does that mean being a yuge advocate of eminent domain, "a process by which government can force citizens to sell their property for public use," really a conservative idea? Big government vs individual rights to property? I think not.

It's not. But, conservatives are willing to circumstantially allow eminent domain for the purpose of a Keystone Pipeline, which they think will be of greater benefit than eminent domain will be. So, the it's using progressive means to achieve a conservative end.

Lol, you have completely changed your tone of Donald Trump being "more conservative than most people think" to "Donald trump is not a real republican or a conservative".
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,750
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 1:00:57 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com...

It's fairly clear at this point Trump, with no competition, will become the GOP nominee. However, many Republican leaders refrain from falling in line behind Trump. While Trump advocates for party unity, the GOP seems to be divided between whether to accept Trump or continue to make things difficult for him. William Kristol, editor of The Weekly Standard, said the hostility toward Trump could be damaging if the Republican convention this summer gets out of hand or if his unusually high negative ratings end up hurting other Republicans on the ticket. Some say that they'll be supporting a third party candidate, but so far all of the "stop Trump" movements have failed. Some say that one of the ways Trump could reconcile with the GOP is to fill in the gaps of his policies, but the problem is that many accuse him of not being a "true conservative", thus not aligning with his party base.

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture? Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior? Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

http://www.cnn.com...

lol paul ryan does not support trump
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:21:46 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 12:36:37 AM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/6/2016 12:06:43 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:49:14 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 10:19:35 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:47:38 PM, Sam7411 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 8:02:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Trump is more conservative on issues than most people realize. He's just socially moderate and a loudmouth... both of which are things the establishment doesn't particularly care for.

Yes like Planned Parenthood, gun control, imminent domain, very conservative...

PP: socially moderate, like I said.
Gun control: https://www.donaldjtrump.com...
Eminent domain: For Keystone pipeline... a conservative pursuit

What I'm getting at is that he's more conservative than most people make him out to be. That doesn't mean he's Rick Santorum, calm down.

Oh he's definitely conservative, he just rejects some basic cores of conservatism like abortion.

Eh, he's not conservative. He's got some conservative views, but as you say, he rejects some of the core values. He is pro-life, but not too staunchly.

Well, the most accurate method of describing one past political advocacy, is definitely the advocate himself. Is that why in 2000 he supported a ban on assault weapons and has donated funds to Democrats who are avid supporters of gun control?

He was a popular, fickle businessman. The popularity required doing things to please the people. I'm willing to risk that he'll stay with what he's said in the presidency, as it's far more important.
I think you just effectively describe his presidency as well. And what the heck to do you mean in the second sentence?

In the realm of popular business, Trump did whatever he needed to to remain popular.

You couldn't name one former Republican candidate who has supported more Democrats and leftist policies than Trump, or rather any prominent conservative in general...

You're using the term Republican loosely. Trump is not a Republican. He's a moderate with some radical conservative views.

And true, the Keystone Pipeline does use eminent domain, and many conservatives support the IDEA of a transnational pipeline. But does that mean being a yuge advocate of eminent domain, "a process by which government can force citizens to sell their property for public use," really a conservative idea? Big government vs individual rights to property? I think not.

It's not. But, conservatives are willing to circumstantially allow eminent domain for the purpose of a Keystone Pipeline, which they think will be of greater benefit than eminent domain will be. So, the it's using progressive means to achieve a conservative end.

Lol, you have completely changed your tone of Donald Trump being "more conservative than most people think" to "Donald trump is not a real republican or a conservative".

No, not at all. He's still more conservative than most Republicans claim. However, he's not really a Republican. What I'm saying, and have been the whole time, is that he gets slammed by Republicans for being a dirty democrat, but he's more conservative than most of those people think. In reality, he's a moderate.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:24:28 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/5/2016 6:49:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

So, do you think that Trump will be able to unite the party, or will the GOP fracture?

He won't unite the party, he's actively destroying the grip the old guard had and creating a new party altogether. The old guard will never accept him, so naw, they'll fracture. The good news is that it doesn't matter, and won't affect Trump negatively. The only way to go from here is up.

Do you think the GOP should just suck it up and accept Trump as their Lord and Savior?

Absolutely.

Will the Republicans hold so much resentment that they'll do anything to stop Trump trying to pass legislation if he becomes president? Discuss.

Mayyyybe, time will tell.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...