Jump to topic:

How Trump Wins?

walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 8:54:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
By nominating Susana Martinez, governor of New Mexico & the first female Hispanic governor, to be his running mate. Trump is struggling with the Hispanic and women vote. By having a woman by his side, his campaign can more effectively target & steal undecided women voters from Hillary Clinton, shake the BS narrative that Trump is "racist" & "sexist," and attract more Hispanics to vote for him - especially considering today's age of identity politics. She's pretty sharp too.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:00:09 PM
At 5/5/2016 8:54:06 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:
By nominating Susana Martinez, governor of New Mexico & the first female Hispanic governor, to be his running mate. Trump is struggling with the Hispanic and women vote. By having a woman by his side, his campaign can more effectively target & steal undecided women voters from Hillary Clinton, shake the BS narrative that Trump is "racist" & "sexist," and attract more Hispanics to vote for him - especially considering today's age of identity politics. She's pretty sharp too.

The problem with this is it seems just as desperate as Ted Cruz. It would most likely come off as disingenuous and pandering. He needs to do a lot more to appeal to those groups than simply pointing to his VP nominee.

New Mexico although it is a border state, is not Trump friendly territory. This would be the only appeal of her to try and convert a state. I think he'd be better served somewhere where it's a closer fight.
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:17:14 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:00:09 PM, vortex86 wrote:

The problem with this is it seems just as desperate as Ted Cruz. It would most likely come off as disingenuous and pandering. He needs to do a lot more to appeal to those groups than simply pointing to his VP nominee.
I don't really see it as desperate, more of just a smart choice. She's pretty qualified and a popular governor, certainly better suited as a VP than Rubio or Christie. Pandering is the definition of an election cycle and whatever pandering the Trump campaign will do is a minuscule fraction compared to the amount of pandering the Democrats do to get votes.
New Mexico although it is a border state, is not Trump friendly territory. This would be the only appeal of her to try and convert a state. I think he'd be better served somewhere where it's a closer fight.
Her popularity as governor (60%+ view her as favorable) could easily turn NM red.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:21:01 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:17:14 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

I don't really see it as desperate, more of just a smart choice. She's pretty qualified and a popular governor, certainly better suited as a VP than Rubio or Christie. Pandering is the definition of an election cycle and whatever pandering the Trump campaign will do is a minuscule fraction compared to the amount of pandering the Democrats do to get votes.
Her popularity as governor (60%+ view her as favorable) could easily turn NM red.

Only 5 electoral votes though
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:25:51 PM

He should take Rubio.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:28:52 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:28:01 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:25:51 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

He should take Rubio.

Christie

Rubio is Latino :P
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:29:41 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:21:01 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 5/5/2016 9:17:14 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

Only 5 electoral votes though

Right, but VP's aren't nominated to strategically win the support of whatever state they govern in the first place, although it normally does. Martinez could narrow the gap of Hillary's lead over women and Hispanics all around the country
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:30:33 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:28:52 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

He should take Rubio.

Christie

So? Trump doesn't do identity politics, didn't you get the memo?
walker_harris3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:31:33 PM

He should take Rubio.

Christie

I don't really see what Rubio brings to the table. In all honesty he hasn't accomplished anything yet in his political career.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:32:22 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:30:33 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

He should take Rubio.

Christie

So? Trump doesn't do identity politics, didn't you get the memo?

Lol
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 9:33:02 PM
At 5/5/2016 9:31:33 PM, walker_harris3 wrote:

He should take Rubio.

Christie

I don't really see what Rubio brings to the table. In all honesty he hasn't accomplished anything yet in his political career.

Latino, young energy, good ideas, gives a little credence to a Trump presidency (e.g. a respectable VP)