IT Director State Department Missing E-mails

vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 3:34:56 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
https://www.yahoo.com...

I'm having great trouble understanding the incompetence of all involved.

The PST file is missing??

Is there not an e-mail server, is that e-mail server not backed up? Do we not have multiple backup files that could be used in case something is missing or removed? Is there not any redundancy in place in the event that a site were to go down? Are the people investigating not able to use things like Knoppix to recover recently deleted or corrupt files? Does this not raise any red flags?

On a side note: How is it that anyone can download a utility to get into an Iphone (5 or earlier) but the FBI has to go through this legal proceeding to attempt to have Apple help them get in and ultimately paying lots of money to a 3rd party company to get into the phone?
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 10:53:44 PM
At 5/10/2016 4:34:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Bonfire of the vanities.

I don't quite get the reference. I guess loosely coalescing behind the misdeeds could be represented as towing the line. What did you mean though?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:04:24 PM
At 5/10/2016 10:53:44 PM, vortex86 wrote:
At 5/10/2016 4:34:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Bonfire of the vanities.

I don't quite get the reference. I guess loosely coalescing behind the misdeeds could be represented as towing the line. What did you mean though?

Just being silly. You know Hillary is going to shred and burn anything with no fear.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:53:04 PM
At 5/10/2016 3:34:56 PM, vortex86 wrote:

Is there not an e-mail server, is that e-mail server not backed up? Do we not have multiple backup files that could be used in case something is missing or removed? Is there not any redundancy in place in the event that a site were to go down? Are the people investigating not able to use things like Knoppix to recover recently deleted or corrupt files? Does this not raise any red flags?

On a side note: How is it that anyone can download a utility to get into an Iphone (5 or earlier) but the FBI has to go through this legal proceeding to attempt to have Apple help them get in and ultimately paying lots of money to a 3rd party company to get into the phone?

Is this another thread with the same subject? I responded to this topic this am. Longing reply that I will not retype.

Just adding that the iPhone issue was a bit different than "recovering emails" - the device was locked.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:18:48 AM
At 5/10/2016 11:53:04 PM, TBR wrote:

Is this another thread with the same subject? I responded to this topic this am. Longing reply that I will not retype.

Just adding that the iPhone issue was a bit different than "recovering emails" - the device was locked.

I'm not aware of another thread. I usually check before creating one as to not have repeats.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:23:02 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:18:48 AM, vortex86 wrote:

I'm not aware of another thread. I usually check before creating one as to not have repeats.

Nah, it was you...

Well, I will paraphrase. I was the director of IT for a broker/dealer for ~10 years. During that time, I had four audits PER YEAR (different groups / agency's). If I failed an email audit, my COO (who loved me) would fire me each night, rehire me every morning till I fixed the F**king problem, then fired me for good.

How the hell normal audits are not done is... Well, makes no sense. And, NO. Corporate or gov email servers don't rely on local copies of PST files. That is just not how it works.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:31:58 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:23:02 AM, TBR wrote:

Nah, it was you...

Well, I will paraphrase. I was the director of IT for a broker/dealer for ~10 years. During that time, I had four audits PER YEAR (different groups / agency's). If I failed an email audit, my COO (who loved me) would fire me each night, rehire me every morning till I fixed the F**king problem, then fired me for good.

How the hell normal audits are not done is... Well, makes no sense. And, NO. Corporate or gov email servers don't rely on local copies of PST files. That is just not how it works.

It's not about the PST which are local files. It's about the e-mails that were then moved to the PST files. They were originally sent to the inbox. Definitely wasn't me, I haven't complained about this as it is a new topic that was just in the news today.
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:34:30 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:31:58 AM, vortex86 wrote:

Nah, it was you...

It's not about the PST which are local files. It's about the e-mails that were then moved to the PST files. They were originally sent to the inbox. Definitely wasn't me, I haven't complained about this as it is a new topic that was just in the news today.

Although, on a forensic level when they realize the file is missing from his computer. They definitely should be able to recover it or parts of it depending on the size of the PST (as the larger they are the easier they are to become corrupt).
vortex86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:40:12 AM

Nah, it was you...

Please direct me to the thread.
https://www.google.com...

These are the threads that you and I have both participated in together. (sans the most recent ones that haven't been crawled yet)
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 1:01:03 AM
At 5/11/2016 12:40:12 AM, vortex86 wrote:

Nah, it was you...

Please direct me to the thread.
https://www.google.com...

These are the threads that you and I have both participated in together. (sans the most recent ones that haven't been crawled yet)

I have to presume that it just didn't post.