John Stewert's UChicago Talk

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 9:36:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
https://www.youtube.com...

After listening to this, I figured there's no more to this man than his comedy routine. Given his career in the business, he had little substantial input to give on a variety of hot topics. Admittedly, I don't know much about him (I didn't really watch his show) and perhaps he wasn't interested in having the interview/talk. Regardless, this interview only reinforced what I believed to be true about talk show hosts/comedians discussing politics: they use their platform (comedy) to express their concerns and opinions on current events without the backlash of genuine criticism. They get away with practically proselytizing their audience. They criticize the "other side" unabashedly and unrelentingly and the viewers soak it all in like students cramming for their 8am exam.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 10:22:54 PM
At 5/11/2016 9:36:00 PM, ben2974 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com...

After listening to this, I figured there's no more to this man than his comedy routine. Given his career in the business, he had little substantial input to give on a variety of hot topics. Admittedly, I don't know much about him (I didn't really watch his show) and perhaps he wasn't interested in having the interview/talk. Regardless, this interview only reinforced what I believed to be true about talk show hosts/comedians discussing politics: they use their platform (comedy) to express their concerns and opinions on current events without the backlash of genuine criticism. They get away with practically proselytizing their audience. They criticize the "other side" unabashedly and unrelentingly and the viewers soak it all in like students cramming for their 8am exam.

Comedy has no unintended consequences.
Danimal4NU
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 5:32:13 AM
It annoyed me that that Stewart would get on his high horse so much, especially about Fox News. I'm not a fan of Fox News but a guy that has his own news-based show that pushes a political agenda and wouldn't also call out left media bias has no room to be throwing stones. The "it's just comedy" line is a cop-out IMO. They are still using a news-based format in a conscious effort to shape opinions. If comedy was the only objective they would go after both sides in the same manner and seek diversity of thought rather than eschewing it. Both things would optimize comedic potential. South Park is much funnier than the Daily Show,, and a big part of that is because they go after everybody. An ideological circle-jerk can only be so funny. It can also only be so truthful since you have nobody around to call bull****. On the positive side I do think Stewart is a smart, funny guy that also did some very good stuff on the show.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 1:39:28 PM
At 5/12/2016 5:32:13 AM, Danimal4NU wrote:
It annoyed me that that Stewart would get on his high horse so much, especially about Fox News. I'm not a fan of Fox News but a guy that has his own news-based show that pushes a political agenda and wouldn't also call out left media bias has no room to be throwing stones. The "it's just comedy" line is a cop-out IMO. They are still using a news-based format in a conscious effort to shape opinions. If comedy was the only objective they would go after both sides in the same manner and seek diversity of thought rather than eschewing it. Both things would optimize comedic potential. South Park is much funnier than the Daily Show,, and a big part of that is because they go after everybody. An ideological circle-jerk can only be so funny. It can also only be so truthful since you have nobody around to call bull****. On the positive side I do think Stewart is a smart, funny guy that also did some very good stuff on the show.

We're basically saying the same thing. But South Park shouldn't be compared with shows like Jon Stewart's or Oliver. I don't think South Park really has any political message(s); its purpose is to expose absurdities - absurdities that focus more on cultural phenomena. I suppose you could call that a purpose, but I don't think consumers of SP are "influenced" the same way (or for the same reasons) that consumers of shows like The Daily Show are.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 3:32:42 PM

Something interesting he said towards the end was that his show was not nearly as effective as actual people gathering together to change the political direction of the country.

That is to say, he tacitly agreed that today, the media has a self inflated sense of purpose and power to shape politics. They do not have nearly as much power to shape policies and attitudes as they used to, and Trump is the proof of this.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 4:13:02 PM
At 5/12/2016 3:32:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Something interesting he said towards the end was that his show was not nearly as effective as actual people gathering together to change the political direction of the country.

That is to say, he tacitly agreed that today, the media has a self inflated sense of purpose and power to shape politics. They do not have nearly as much power to shape policies and attitudes as they used to, and Trump is the proof of this.

You could spin this and say that certain media does have such power by way of repeated coverage. If the media doesn't cover it, it's not deemed important. If the media does cover it, it is important. Right?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 4:55:19 PM
At 5/12/2016 4:13:02 PM, ben2974 wrote:

You could spin this and say that certain media does have such power by way of repeated coverage. If the media doesn't cover it, it's not deemed important. If the media does cover it, it is important. Right?

The point is, the media has very little say anymore in who the people select.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 5:27:35 PM
At 5/12/2016 4:55:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Was there a point in time when the media did have a direct influence in elections? (20th century forward).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 8:42:20 PM
At 5/12/2016 5:27:35 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 5/12/2016 4:55:19 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Was there a point in time when the media did have a direct influence in elections? (20th century forward).

High point: Watergate.
Low point: Lewinsky.