Jump to topic:

DDO's Ideologues

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 2:49:20 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
What are the latest site demographics, or rather who are the more outspoken ideological proponents? I remember PoeJoe, JBlake, Kleptin and Skeptic as being some pretty outspoken liberals -- perhaps Maikuru as well (if memory serves). 16K was a vocal conservative, as was sadolite and RoyLatham. I've been told libertarianism has permeated the site. Is there anyone who stands out as the token site progressive/conservative or staunch Democrat/Republican? Just curious.
President of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:04:52 PM
These days, I'm virtually the only person on the Site who would defend the Iraq War and neoconservative policies of military intervention in foreign countries.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 4:14:22 PM
At 5/14/2016 2:49:20 PM, Danielle wrote:
What are the latest site demographics, or rather who are the more outspoken ideological proponents? I remember PoeJoe, JBlake, Kleptin and Skeptic as being some pretty outspoken liberals -- perhaps Maikuru as well (if memory serves). 16K was a vocal conservative, as was sadolite and RoyLatham. I've been told libertarianism has permeated the site. Is there anyone who stands out as the token site progressive/conservative or staunch Democrat/Republican? Just curious.

Kleptin was awesome.... if only he'd come back more often.
Tsar of DDO
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 5:04:46 PM
At 5/14/2016 4:14:22 PM, YYW wrote:

He is too awesome for this site.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 6:03:59 PM

I'm very conservative, and fairly vocal about it. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 6:31:39 PM
Most of the active members are very socially libertarian and economically left. Many members like Milo Yiannopoulos. We've got one or two Clinton supporters, a ton of Sanders supporters, and a ton of Trump supporters.

If you want outspoken, Someloser is a reactionary who has strong beliefs about ethnicity and ethnic conflict. Bballcrook... well, you'll know when you see him, lol. Thett WAS outspoken when he first started talking about Trump, but that became mainstream here eventually. Maikuru, Lamerde, and Hoppi are among the few members who still openly embrace mainstream social liberalism here. We've got a thriving economically right community.

I generally find myself more socially left than the mainstream, but I wasn't at one time, and I can't think of many issues I've changed on, so I think the site has moved right to some degree. Most leftists here direct their energies toward decrying people further to the left--BLM, SJWs, affirmative action, etc. Most people have talked much more about social issues than economic ones, even though we're in a more volatile position with regards to the latter.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:31:22 PM
At 5/14/2016 6:31:39 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Most of the active members are very socially libertarian and economically left. Many members like Milo Yiannopoulos. We've got one or two Clinton supporters, a ton of Sanders supporters, and a ton of Trump supporters.

If you want outspoken, Someloser is a reactionary who has strong beliefs about ethnicity and ethnic conflict. Bballcrook... well, you'll know when you see him, lol. Thett WAS outspoken when he first started talking about Trump, but that became mainstream here eventually. Maikuru, Lamerde, and Hoppi are among the few members who still openly embrace mainstream social liberalism here. We've got a thriving economically right community.

I generally find myself more socially left than the mainstream, but I wasn't at one time, and I can't think of many issues I've changed on, so I think the site has moved right to some degree. Most leftists here direct their energies toward decrying people further to the left--BLM, SJWs, affirmative action, etc. Most people have talked much more about social issues than economic ones, even though we're in a more volatile position with regards to the latter.

BLM and SJWs are not as left and socially liberal as me. I wouldn't say the leftists here are necessarily decrying them for the reason you gave.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:32:53 PM

16k has become a moderate right-winger - much less conservative on social issues, especially.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:47:01 PM
At 5/14/2016 8:31:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

BLM and SJWs are not as left and socially liberal as me. I wouldn't say the leftists here are necessarily decrying them for the reason you gave.

How do you define "socially left?"

I am unsure how far (or not far) I am to the left on a social scale. On social issues, I usually support whatever gives more liberty and personal responsibility to the people. Except I'm highly opposed to government interference to "fix" discrimination and other social inequality (mostly because the government is ineffective in doing so). That's many liberals seem to be in favor of, especially with "anti-discrimination" laws, Affirmative action, 3rd wave Feminism, etc.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:52:15 PM

Usually, I associate social liberalism with government authority to protect minority rights, and consider greater desire to grant more authority as more liberal. That's why I usually classify myself as more socially libertarian. I guess talking in terms of the left-right scale doesn't exactly convey that.
That's why I said our leftists have criticized those further left; they don't believe the gov't should have any more authority to restrict majority rights for the sake of minority rights (not for necessarily invalid reasons)
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:53:26 PM
At 5/14/2016 8:47:01 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

I am unsure how far (or not far) I am to the left on a social scale. On social issues, I usually support whatever gives more liberty and personal responsibility to the people. Except I'm highly opposed to government interference to "fix" discrimination and other social inequality (mostly because the government is ineffective in doing so). That's many liberals seem to be in favor of, especially with "anti-discrimination" laws, Affirmative action, 3rd wave Feminism, etc.

I said social liberal. When I said 'left' it was in regards to economics.

Anti-discrimination laws could be a place for semantics on what is socially liberal, but I would say being against them is a socially conservative view.

I'm against affirmative action with college admissions and workplace AA, and I think a better solution would be to properly fund schools for poor inner-city areas, and put more work into building their communities so kids don't "feel forced to" join gangs and things along those lines.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 8:54:12 PM
At 5/14/2016 8:52:15 PM, SolonKR wrote:

Usually, I associate social liberalism with government authority to protect minority rights, and consider greater desire to grant more authority as more liberal. That's why I usually classify myself as more socially libertarian. I guess talking in terms of the left-right scale doesn't exactly convey that.
That's why I said our leftists have criticized those further left; they don't believe the gov't should have any more authority to restrict majority rights for the sake of minority rights (not for necessarily invalid reasons)

It's never been about protecting minorities, it's always about going about it the wrong way.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 9:26:57 PM
At 5/14/2016 8:53:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Anti-discrimination laws could be a place for semantics on what is socially liberal, but I would say being against them is a socially conservative view.

Besides that, how would one generally define social liberalism?

I'm against affirmative action with college admissions and workplace AA, and I think a better solution would be to properly fund schools for poor inner-city areas, and put more work into building their communities so kids don't "feel forced to" join gangs and things along those lines.

Out of curiosity, do you support the national department of education and common core? And do you believe public secondary education is too centralized?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 9:50:04 PM
At 5/14/2016 9:26:57 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

Generally, it's the protection (and, if possible, expansion) of individual liberty in social aspects, with government intervention on the issues of helping people rise from poverty, with health care, and so forth. Basically, giving everyone the ability to thrive, and letting them go from there.

Out of curiosity, do you support the national department of education and common core? And do you believe public secondary education is too centralized?

I think that standardized curriculums are a net negative.

What do you mean by "too centralized"?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 10:42:10 PM
At 5/14/2016 9:50:04 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Generally, it's the protection (and, if possible, expansion) of individual liberty in social aspects, with government intervention on the issues of helping people rise from poverty, with health care, and so forth. Basically, giving everyone the ability to thrive, and letting them go from there.

Seems some what contradicting to have individual liberty, while the government intervenes to aid certain groups of people. I don't want to talk about this too much right now to avoid derailing the thread, but I don't see government measures to end poverty as effective.

The curriculum is nationalized, and the government has immense power over public schools.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:06:57 PM

I feel like I missed out on something...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:08:45 PM
At 5/14/2016 10:42:10 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 5/14/2016 9:50:04 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Seems some what contradicting to have individual liberty, while the government intervenes to aid certain groups of people. I don't want to talk about this too much right now to avoid derailing the thread, but I don't see government measures to end poverty as effective.

The curriculum is nationalized, and the government has immense power over public schools.

Well, yeah.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:09:40 PM
At 5/14/2016 11:06:57 PM, Hayd wrote:

I think he was around before your time. He periodically stops in... was one of the smartest people ever to be on DDO.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:10:39 PM
At 5/14/2016 11:09:40 PM, YYW wrote:

I think he was around before your time. He periodically stops in... was one of the smartest people ever to be on DDO.

Yeah, sounds like it.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:49:03 PM

I bet I'd beat you in a fight
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:54:29 PM
I would suggest that users nowadays are less vocal about their political camps (e.g. conservatism, liberalism) as they are about certain issues.

On some level, being vocal about the issues is being vocal about the camp, but what I mean is that their is less preoccupation with defending the umbrella ideology as a whole as their is with defending positions on very particular issues.

You see, for instance, a lot more threads addressing SJWs than you see threads discussing whether the conservative/liberal approach to this or that is good, and whether conservative/liberal ideology makes more sense given its stances on this or that.

Maybe that doesn't make any sense...It seems clear in my head though.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2016 11:57:12 PM
At 5/14/2016 11:49:03 PM, Hayd wrote:

Oh ya?
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 12:03:16 AM
At 5/14/2016 11:57:12 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/14/2016 11:49:03 PM, Hayd wrote:

Oh ya?

Yeah. I'd bet 10 bucks
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 12:37:16 AM
At 5/14/2016 11:54:29 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I would suggest that users nowadays are less vocal about their political camps (e.g. conservatism, liberalism) as they are about certain issues.

On some level, being vocal about the issues is being vocal about the camp, but what I mean is that their is less preoccupation with defending the umbrella ideology as a whole as their is with defending positions on very particular issues.

You see, for instance, a lot more threads addressing SJWs than you see threads discussing whether the conservative/liberal approach to this or that is good, and whether conservative/liberal ideology makes more sense given its stances on this or that.

Maybe that doesn't make any sense...It seems clear in my head though.

I rail on third way more than I do the right-wing.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 1:22:45 AM

jey shoutout
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 6:26:14 AM
YYW is easily the most outspoken critic of postmodern liberalism and stuff like "privilege theory" and "micro-aggression theory."

When anyone thinks "Thett," they think "Trump triumph!"

Lamerde and Hoppi defend postmodern liberalism -- I think.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 6:27:20 AM
Oh, and 16k has become much more moderate than you'd imagine (e.g. pro-gay marriage).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:38:19 PM
At 5/15/2016 6:26:14 AM, tejretics wrote:
YYW is easily the most outspoken critic of postmodern liberalism and stuff like "privilege theory" and "micro-aggression theory."

Yes. You might put me in the camp with Gad Saad, as well as Barack Obama and Noam Chomsky, on this issue.

But... let's be clear... what I oppose are certain "methods" of advocacy, less than ends sought. Though the concept of privilege, as it is used by progressive left leaning types, is utter nonsense.

Moreover, "microagression theory" isn't a thing. It's not a theory, and that's not simply because the concept of a "microaggression" is intellectual trash. It's because there is nothing remotely theoretical about belief in "microaggressions." It's more like a postmodern leftist doxology than anything that resembles scientific anything.

When anyone thinks "Thett," they think "Trump triumph!"

Indeed.

Lamerde and Hoppi defend postmodern liberalism -- I think.

Ehh... Lamerde (though she denies it, mostly, because she doesn't even understand her own worldview, in large part, due to the acute limits in her education) is a postmodern/progressive race feminist. What that means is that she is very concerned with things like race and gender based micro-aggressions, and correcting them. She believes that systems of social order are, by their existence, inherently racist. (The fact that racism can't be "inherent" does not intellectually trouble her, though, but mostly because she doesn't have the faculty to grasp the problems with such a notion.)

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with having irrational beliefs, as lamerde does, other than the mere fact that they are irrational. Or, more specifically, they are anti-rational. Things like facts and evidence do not obstruct her worldview, and her impulse (as so many others like her) is to immediately accuse anyone who disagrees with her in any respect of being a racist or bigot. She is rare to call people homophobes, though if I wasn't gay I'm sure she would.

But, like many who study social science or dabble with psychology, the real problem is the fact that she's been inculturated by an educational program into blaming white people for all problems that exist for all black people ever. (This, too, she rabidly denies with all the ferocity of an African lioness.) She likewise has this phenomenon where she's read *some* things about *a few* subjects, but reaches the highly irrational conclusion that she is now a preeminent authority on the matters she has briefly touched the surface of.

Again, delusory views of expertise are not per se a bad thing... we all lie to ourselves about things, but the problem is that her particular problems in that regard prevent anything that resembles rational discourse's transpiring among her and anyone whose views do not *exactly* parallel her own.

In time (like, maybe ten years) this will be less of a problem.

Hoppi, though, isn't anything more than a provocative troll. Lamerde is at least not entirely dumb. Hoppi, on the other hand... there is almost nothing good to say about that individual.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:38:44 PM
At 5/15/2016 6:27:20 AM, tejretics wrote:
Oh, and 16k has become much more moderate than you'd imagine (e.g. pro-gay marriage).

Indeed. He'll be a democrat in five years.
Tsar of DDO